New "class" system on Celebrity

FL1stLady

I really don't think this has anything to do with a class system. If X had invited Elite Plus and Elite we would not be having this discussion. Of course then we would have complaints about crowding. Some expect to book an inside stateroom and receive the same benefits as someone paying five times as much. LOL...

Yes you're correct. With all of those reward programs, as long as one has a lot of reward miles or points, you still can enjoy the spaces the first class traveler enjoys. With Celebrity, the seasoned loyal clientele is now excluded if the don't book a suite, right? I can see it now. Maybe another Elite and beyond space needs to be found in some underutilized space on these ships. The Sky Observation Lounge perhaps? I'm sure Celebrity has not forgot about those of you Elite and beyond that only book inside to veranda cabins. It's on the drawing board somewhere, just be patience.

What was the date of your cruise? I was on Connie twice in December and Michael's Club was open every day. Michael's Club would not be available today as it is a private lounge. The change took place after my Feb. 15th cruise. There were lots of Canadians on board and they used it quite heavily in the evening. Bistro on 5 is getting more popular on embarkation day since it has been highly recommended on these boards as a way of avoiding the Oceanview. I had no problems making reservations in Tuscan Grille on either cruise. There may have been a large group on board that used the Theater one afternoon. I only saw it closed when there was practice. Every cruise is different, even on a B2B on the same ship.

My guess is that it may have been the cruise where Celebrity held their conference on board. It caused a great deal of disruption on board including closing many venues and crowds elsewhere especially when they broke up for lunch all at the same time. You would have thought that Celebrity staff would have been more aware of the problems they were causing but the impression given was that they were more important than their guests.

Edited by Project_gal

But that is EXACTLY what I do, AND it's been working EXCEPTIONALLY well... :confused:

Last November, I paid $449pp (with $250 OBC) for a 15 night T/A on Reflection. (booked only 10 days before departure :eek:)

I traveled on the exact same STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS, almost new, nearly BILLION DOLLAR cruise ship, as all those wonderful folks who paid $2,000pp-$6,000pp. :)

OK, so I didn't get to go to Michaels or Blu, but I think I'll survive...

(ESPECIALLY since I didn't even have to row or shovel coal)

No complaints from here and this is why X is adding perks for those who pay the full freight.

No slight intended to teecee60;42756728, I support the initiative undertaken and I do the same when possible.

Michael's was alive and active because they accepted drink vouchers from 5-7 PM. Great cruise and excellent value, Mr. Planet.

HEY! Missed ya on the recent Silhouette T/A... you would have liked the upgraded and expanded astronomy presentations. ;)

They even gave me Celebrity Central instead of the conference rooms for one, as well over 100 CC'ers signed up to attend. :cool:

For this fall's T/A I will have 8 different programs. Hope to see you again!

Don't mean to quibble with your well written post but if you booked just 10 days before sailing,

weren't there cheapo deals for other cabin classes ? I must say you got quite the deal.

I spent wayyy to much time in the military getting up at oh-dark-thirty and want it completely DARK and QUIET when I sleep in. I am only in my room to sleep and shower, so I WANT only an inside and now always request "no upgrade"

Every year, for the last 5 and the next 4, the industry is adding a MINIMUM of 10,000 NEW berths that MUST be filled for EVERY sailing. Overcapacity like that makes it absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for the cruise lines to raise prices, so their only other option is the cuts to service that is the focus of so many complaints. Unfortunately it's going to get worse. Maybe not so much with X as they will actually LOOSE capacity next year when Century gets sold off.

Prices just crashed TODAY for the Reflection T/A this fall. Insides for $649pp and O/V and standard balcony cabins for $899pp. All with $350 OBC. And it's nowhere NEAR final payment date yet. :eek:

Last year on Silhouette, 2Cs and 2Bs were going for $699pp after FPD.

Edited by teecee60

But that is EXACTLY what I do, AND it's been working EXCEPTIONALLY well... :confused:

Last November, I paid $449pp (with $250 OBC) for a 15 night T/A on Reflection. (booked only 10 days before departure :eek:)

I traveled on the exact same STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS, almost new, nearly BILLION DOLLAR cruise ship, as all those wonderful folks who paid $2,000pp-$6,000pp. :)

I went to ALL of the exact same ports, and saw ALL of the exact same scenery.

I Enjoyed ALL of the exact same sunny days, all of the exact same cool breezes.

I got to see ALL of the exact same entertainment, and listened to ALL of the exact same music.

I got to sample ALL of the EXACT same drinks, and ate at ALL of the EXACT same specialty restaurants.

I paid between ONE FOURTH and ONE TENTH as much as all those folks in balconies and suites...

And as a BONUS... I didn't have to worry about trying to keep some Butler from wanting to unpack or pack my stuff...

AND, I didn't have to put up with unwanted wind and ocean noise from the balcony, or unwanted sunlight coming through some window and disturbing my sleep.

OK, so I didn't get to go to Michaels or Blu, but I think I'll survive...

(ESPECIALLY since I didn't even have to row or shovel coal)

So nicely said. and what a bargain! :D:D:

The only thing I dislike about the whole thing is the Aqua/Blu and Suite/New Un-named Suite Restaurant dining situation when traveling with friends. I've booked my first suite for an upcoming cruise and feel reluctant to invite others to join us because we won't be dining together unless they also choose a suite. I know I can dine in the MDR or Blu, but I plan on using the new restaurant as often as possible.

The only thing I dislike about the whole thing is the Aqua/Blu and Suite/New Un-named Suite Restaurant dining situation when traveling with friends. I've booked my first suite for an upcoming cruise and feel reluctant to invite others to join us because we won't be dining together unless they also choose a suite. I know I can dine in the MDR or Blu, but I plan on using the new restaurant as often as possible.

When I stayed in the Haven on the NCL Epic in February, the host at the entrance to the suite only dining room indicated that I could have guests from the ship (not in the Haven) dine with us, but it was $25 per person on a space available basis. I'm wondering if in time Celebrity will adopt a similar policy once they get the perk in place and work out any other kinks that they may have come across.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

HEY!

Prices just crashed TODAY for the Reflection T/A this fall. Insides for $649pp and O/V and standard balcony cabins for $899pp. All with $350 OBC. And it's nowhere NEAR final payment date yet. :eek:

I sure wouldn't pay the airfare (even for an inside cabin price) for what is basically a 5-6 day Caribbean cruise! Now our Oct TA (still 5 months out) with a great European itinerary is sold out and no longer showing on Celebrity's website

HEY! Missed ya on the recent Silhouette T/A... you would have liked the upgraded and expanded astronomy presentations. ;)

They even gave me Celebrity Central instead of the conference rooms for one, as well over 100 CC'ers signed up to attend. :cool:

For this fall's T/A I will have 8 different programs. Hope to see you again!

I spent wayyy to much time in the military getting up at oh-dark-thirty and want it completely DARK and QUIET when I sleep in. I am only in my room to sleep and shower, so I WANT only an inside and now always request "no upgrade"

Every year, for the last 5 and the next 4, the industry is adding a MINIMUM of 10,000 NEW berths that MUST be filled for EVERY sailing. Overcapacity like that makes it absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for the cruise lines to raise prices, so their only other option is the cuts to service that is the focus of so many complaints. Unfortunately it's going to get worse. Maybe not so much with X as they will actually LOOSE capacity next year when Century gets sold off.

That sounds really nice. I enjoyed it on the Reflection. I am booked on the Silhouette TA in the fall of 2015. If you are on board it gives me something else to anticipate. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.

I just read through this entire very interesting thread and I was surprised no one discussed what bothers me. The perks for the suite guests or the people in the Haven are really "getting what you pay for" but what bothers me is what I saw on Princess, and I would prefer not to sail on Princess again because of it. When we sailed on Princess about 3 years ago, one had to know on embarkation if they wanted to pay extra for a chair in a special area where there was shade and they offered water and light snacks during the day while you lounged. There was an extra charge but you could only purchase it when you got on the ship. The ship was very crowded on this sailing and most days unless you got up at 6am and hogged chairs you could not sit--anywhere! However, every time you passed this special area, it was empty??? Just empty chairs sitting in the shade and sun behind a gate. There was a sign saying that a day pass was available, but when you asked they said "sold out for the week" We rarely saw anyone sitting and this really irked me. That experience alone, after 35 cruises, totally turned me off to ever going on Princess again.

At least it doesn't seem that any other cruise line has this. Even the ropes on RCI don't bother me as much asthis "empty area!" Does Celebrity have anything like this???

The perks for the suite guests or the people in the Haven are really "getting what you pay for" but what bothers me is what I saw on Princess, and I would prefer not to sail on Princess again because of it. When we sailed on Princess about 3 years ago, one had to know on embarkation if they wanted to pay extra for a chair in a special area where there was shade and they offered water and light snacks during the day while you lounged.

Oh yes. The Sanctuary. I was just on my first Princess cruise a couple months ago (Ruby) and got my first taste of that process. Like in your case, it was a very crowded ship and every single deck chair, even those far from any pool, were taken. First, you have to pay to get a chair in the Sanctuary and then, you have to pay to get room service lunch delivered to you in there. We also looked into it on day 1, prior to sailing, and it was all sold out for the entire cruise.

I just read through this entire very interesting thread and I was surprised no one discussed what bothers me. The perks for the suite guests or the people in the Haven are really "getting what you pay for" but what bothers me is what I saw on Princess, and I would prefer not to sail on Princess again because of it. When we sailed on Princess about 3 years ago, one had to know on embarkation if they wanted to pay extra for a chair in a special area where there was shade and they offered water and light snacks during the day while you lounged. There was an extra charge but you could only purchase it when you got on the ship. The ship was very crowded on this sailing and most days unless you got up at 6am and hogged chairs you could not sit--anywhere! However, every time you passed this special area, it was empty??? Just empty chairs sitting in the shade and sun behind a gate. There was a sign saying that a day pass was available, but when you asked they said "sold out for the week" We rarely saw anyone sitting and this really irked me. That experience alone, after 35 cruises, totally turned me off to ever going on Princess again.

At least it doesn't seem that any other cruise line has this. Even the ropes on RCI don't bother me as much asthis "empty area!" Does Celebrity have anything like this???

Actually, some do. NCL, for example, on many of their ships has The Haven, where it is a special area just for their suit passengers...in the newer ships they even have a private pool, courtyard, etc., but the difference is that us regular passengers can't see it unless we are staying there. Celebrity doesn't have anything like this yet, to my knowledge. It has been said that they would be looking to do a special "sunny" area for suites, etc.

What you have to remember, is that if someone paid for the chairs (as part of their suite fare or otherwise), they don't have to sit in them 24/7, they don't really have to sit in them at all, but they have paid for the privilege to have that chair available to them whenever they want it.

The bigger issue, with Princess and all cruise lines, is that they have to come up with a program to stop the chair hogging on those chairs open to all.

Oh yes. The Sanctuary. I was just on my first Princess cruise a couple months ago (Ruby) and got my first taste of that process. Like in your case, it was a very crowded ship and every single deck chair, even those far from any pool, were taken. First, you have to pay to get a chair in the Sanctuary and then, you have to pay to get room service lunch delivered to you in there. We also looked into it on day 1, prior to sailing, and it was all sold out for the entire cruise.

These two posts are not exactly accurate.

We sail Princess a lot and usually book the Sanctuary so are very familiar with the process.

I can see where it might be confusing to a new cruiser.

On the first day of the cruise they "sell" (at $30/day x number of days of the cruise) HALF of the loungers in the Sanctuary.

Every day thereafter you can go when they open and get one of the remaining HALF of the loungers for $40/day or $20/half day.

Granted , there are a limited number of loungers and they sell out quickly but you CAN get them each day if that's what you want.

I also find it hard to believe that there were NO loungers anywhere on the ship after 6 am. Maybe none by the pool but there are many, many decks with loungers all over the ship and some are in the shade.

I also find it hard to believe that there were NO loungers anywhere on the ship after 6 am. Maybe none by the pool but there are many, many decks with loungers all over the ship and some are in the shade.

Karen, why would I make that up? I have no reason to lie. I went on Princess looking for another cruise line to love. On sea days, around 10am, my wife and I could not find open chairs anywhere on the upper decks of the ship. We had to settle for the wood, tiered seating in front of the aft pool. Ruby was easily the most crowded ship I have ever been on, which I found surprising considering how many pools are on that ship.

I have never cruised with NCL, HAL or MSC. I am not at an advanced loyalty level on Celebrity or RCI. I do not mind others getting extra things or my being restricted from occasional parties. I DO mind being restricted from certain areas, especially for an entire cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Good thing you were NEVER on a U.S. NAVY ship then... :rolleyes:

I went on Princess looking for another cruise line to love. Ruby was easily the most crowded ship I have ever been on, which I found surprising considering how many pools are on that ship.

Our 1st Princess sailing was in 1992, and we sailed the Ruby in Nov 2012, talk about changes! WOW :eek: the wife will not consider another Princess cruise for some time to come.

This is why we laugh till we cry when seasoned Celebrity passengers post on Cruise Critic, saying they are going to go find another line to sail. Have at it! The product on the other lines is no where close to X.

Edited by wallie5446

I just find it interesting, that, besides all the complaining on here about "class systems", the higher end suites are selling really well. We tried to book a suite last month on Reflection for next Aprils TA and all the higher end suites are already gone. Evidently, some folks, like us, are really enjoying the new program. Well done Celebrity.

I have cruised with and without perks.

I am grateful to have had the pleasure of staying in a Royal Suite and all that it entails. It is nice to be pampered a little on my 1 true vacation of the year. We save up for this luxury.

My thoughts are that people generally are not trying to be snarky while in a different "class"ifcation, they are just enjoying their benefits that they have chosen to partake in. I certainly don't want to feel begrudged for my status and I certainly won't begrudge anyone else.

As I said before, I am so happy to be able to cruise in the first place. I'm going to enjoy each cruise to the fullest with my DH and my Mom. I will also have secret conversations with my Dad up in heaven telling him of our latest adventure... he loved cruising with Celebrity.

I just find it interesting, that, besides all the complaining on here about "class systems", the higher end suites are selling really well. We tried to book a suite last month on Reflection for next Aprils TA and all the higher end suites are already gone. Evidently, some folks, like us, are really enjoying the new program. Well done Celebrity.

Should those getting the higher end suites complain about the reduction of common

spaces which are now reserved for them ?

Did you believe that added benefits would result in lower suite sales ?

I find it less interesting then you do .

I have cruised with and without perks.

I am grateful to have had the pleasure of staying in a Royal Suite and all that it entails. It is nice to be pampered a little on my 1 true vacation of the year. We save up for this luxury.

My thoughts are that people generally are not trying to be snarky while in a different "class"ifcation, they are just enjoying their benefits that they have chosen to partake in. I certainly don't want to feel begrudged for my status and I certainly won't begrudge anyone else.

As I said before, I am so happy to be able to cruise in the first place. I'm going to enjoy each cruise to the fullest with my DH and my Mom. I will also have secret conversations with my Dad up in heaven telling him of our latest adventure... he loved cruising with Celebrity.

You should never feel begrudged for the perks you received, it seems as though some passengers are just jealous because they can't get in to some of the places reserved to suites. If those Elite and Elite+ plus passengers were allowed entrance, I seriously doubt that anyone would be making much of a fuss about it. Pretty much all cruise lines (if not now, will be in the future) are realizing the importance of suite passengers and are awarding them some great perks. I know I will probably never cruise in a suite on Celebrity, but would never begrudge anyone for getting these perks, just as I don't begrudge those that get the Elite+ or Zenith perks.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Host Anne

Re post #20 Rccl did indeed take previously public space and use it for DIamond cruisers on the great top lounge. The only space available for Platinum or lower loyal cruisers looked at the backsides of rock wall climbers rather than a beautiful view of the ocean

Don't know Changes on Princess

But special privileges for higher paying passengers is the way the industry is going with special lounges and roped off areas in theater. I have been kicked out of celebrity s lounge to make way for Elites in not nice way even though we have several rccl and celebrity cruises

Like a lot of PAX I don't like the taking away of public space but will wait & see how it all shakes out

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On what Princess ship do they have a dedicated room for their customer loyalty such as Elite?

They have a pay $3.95 selected drink at Happy Hour in a part of a lounge. No, free drinks at Happy Hour.

Club 6 during certain hours on the Royal Princes is open only for Platinum and above. Agreed: No free drinks.

Karen, why would I make that up? I have no reason to lie. I went on Princess looking for another cruise line to love. On sea days, around 10am, my wife and I could not find open chairs anywhere on the upper decks of the ship. We had to settle for the wood, tiered seating in front of the aft pool. Ruby was easily the most crowded ship I have ever been on, which I found surprising considering how many pools are on that ship.

Wow Paul. Nothing like being called a liar. Amazing how someone who wasn't on your cruise knows what you experienced. :rolleyes:

Host Anne

Re post #20 Rccl did indeed take previously public space and use it for DIamond cruisers on the great top lounge. The only space available for Platinum or lower loyal cruisers looked at the backsides of rock wall climbers rather than a beautiful view of the ocean

Well, sorta. Previously public space being changed into a Diamond lounge is not fleet wide. Freedom, Oasis and Quantum Classes were (and are being) built with Diamond Lounges and Majesty isn't being changed at all. The D lounges being added to Vision and Radiance Classes only take a portion of what was previously public, not the entire lounge. Only on the 5 Voyager Class ships was an entire public lounge (9th Hole) turned into a D Lounge.

But what do you mean by space for Platinum and lower looking at the rock wall? I don't get that. :confused:

Edited by Aquahound

Our 1st Princess sailing was in 1992, and we sailed the Ruby in Nov 2012, talk about changes! WOW :eek: the wife will not consider another Princess cruise for some time to come.

This is why we laugh till we cry when seasoned Celebrity passengers post on Cruise Critic, saying they are going to go find another line to sail. Have at it! The product on the other lines is no where close to X.

We like Princess and Royal Caribbean. Right now they are closer than Celebrity because Celebrity doesn't have a ship in Florida for a summer cruise.

RCL's Freedom is over there at Port Canaveral, Princess is cruising from S. Florida, Celebrity leaves us little choice for a quick summer escape. Have I missed a 4 to 7 summer cruise on Celebrity. Should I look again? Help.

-Marisa (I'm a class act with a preference for inside, "seasoned", and we're Elite on Celebrity)

Edited by USVI-4-me