Extra costs in the MDR

I haven't been on a RCI cruise for a while. I have seen people mention extra charges in the MDR. What types of things cost extra and does anyone know the cost?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't been on a RCI cruise for a while. I have seen people mention extra charges in the MDR. What types of things cost extra and does anyone know the cost?

Thank you!

Steak and the surf n turf I think

Upcharges:

Main Lobster 24.95 Surf and Turf 34.95 Chops Steak 14.95

Specialty rest. steak and lobster are offered and cost extra....about $15-$20 for the steak and $30-$40 for the lobster. Alcoholic drinks and soda are extra. That's all I can think of, but others may come up with items I have forgotten or am not aware of. :)

Wine, alcoholic drinks, soda and specialty coffee is extra. It is also possible to order steak and lobster and a couple of other things from a special menu--but, I have never had anyone do that on my table.

Tea, coffee [+ decaf], milk, and water are included [and I think lemonade]. There is no charge for any of the regular menu items. You can have multiples of the items. [i.e. 2 apps. 2 soups and entrees and a couple of desserts] I often order 2 soups and a salad. That is my favorite part of any meal--I especially like their cold fruit soups.

edit: I think hot chocolate, too.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Is the surf & turf extra on the second formal night? Isn't that when they feature it?

All standard menu steaks and seafood - including the Fisherman's Platter (which is the lobster tail and shrimp dinner offered on the second formal night) - are at no charge in the MDR.

The up-charge items referred to are the optional premium lobster and Chops Grill steaks which are offered as well in the MDR for an up-charge as indicated.

The are no separate charges for any of the daily standard menu items in the MDR - this is included in your stateroom rate.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

All standard menu steaks and seafood - including the Fisherman's Platter (which is the lobster tail and shrimp dinner offered on the second formal night) - are at no charge in the MDR.

The up-charge items referred to are the optional premium lobster and Chops Grill steaks which are offered as well in the MDR for an up-charge as indicated.

The are no separate charges for any of the daily standard menu items in the MDR - this is included in your stateroom rate.

Thank you. That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure.

I am thinking that prices may have increased in the past four months. :(

Yes, and the prices may be slightly different ship to ship. I've seen the steak for $17, but can't remember which ship.

There are so many great choices every night we never felt tempted to pay extra in the MDR or go to a specialty restaurant. We were thrilled with the food on our recent Freedom cruise and it's tough living back in reality. I'm really missing the yummy cheese rolls... Sigh.

Tom

Edited by tserface

Thank you everyone! I thought I read somewhere that on ships without specialty restaurants that they charged for things like soups (lobster bisque). That's fine, I was curious about the cost. I'm not sure I'd pay extra (or are their other menu items not as good as they used to be?) when there are probably lots of other choices on the non-pay menu...but I do like lobster bisque!

Thank you everyone! I thought I read somewhere that on ships without specialty restaurants that they charged for things like soups (lobster bisque). That's fine, I was curious about the cost. I'm not sure I'd pay extra (or are their other menu items not as good as they used to be?) when there are probably lots of other choices on the non-pay menu...but I do like lobster bisque!

The only food items that are currently extra cost in the MDR are the ones pictured above in Carol's post.

You can eat nightly in the MDR for no additional charge at all! Since they started the "specialty" restaurants, some things that used to be included and everyday choices have been moved to "additional charge" items, but you can eat well without them!

The only food items that are currently extra cost in the MDR are the ones pictured above in Carol's post.

Just wondering why people would pay these extra charges in the MDR rather than going to a specialty restaurant which would have a much better atmosphere? :confused:

LuLu

My husband is a very picky eater and loves steak. The rest of the family was fine with the reg MDR menu but he did not care for the steak on the reg. menu. He ordered the chops filet a few nights on our 9 night cruise. He loved it. He said it was well worth the extra money.

Just wondering why people would pay these extra charges in the MDR rather than going to a specialty restaurant which would have a much better atmosphere? :confused:

LuLu

Perhaps because only one person in the group wants the specialty item(s).

LuLu

It may seem strange, but I can't think of any of the specialty restaurants that have the whole Maine lobster.

My husband is a very picky eater and loves steak. The rest of the family was fine with the reg MDR menu but he did not care for the steak on the reg. menu. He ordered the chops filet a few nights on our 9 night cruise. He loved it. He said it was well worth the extra money.

That is an excellent reason! :)

Thanks for pointing out when only one person in family/group wants it, it makes perfect sense.

LuLu

That is an excellent reason! :)

Thanks for pointing out when only one person in family/group wants it, it makes perfect sense.

LuLu

I have met groups/families where EVERYONE is a vegetarian........except for one poor guy. HE is the one who orders that Chops steak in the MDR!

;) :D

• 1 month later...
Notice that the "Chops Steak" has increased in price and decreased in size! :eek:

The Surf 'n' Turf has decreased in price but also decreased in size.

:p

Shocked...SHOCKED!

If they keep going in this direction, my wife will be able to eat the whole filet and I won't even get a bite!:eek: