How to compare self vs Oceania Air

edgee

In comparing cruise line air vs self booked air costs for a transatlantic cruise, I see that Oceania is offering just a $700 pp credit for not taking their air. If I presume I will want to pick my flights and fly in early, I am adding presumed deviation fee I would have to pay with Oceania air, so I figure I would need to find separate plane tickets costing less than $875 pp to be ahead financially by buying our own air. Question I have is whether that $875 number is truly accurate, or does Oceania add airline taxes to the bottom of the invoice such that my true cost to use Oceania air would be possibly several hundred dollars more than the $875 figure. Thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me.

Ed

In comparing cruise line air vs self booked air costs for a transatlantic cruise, I see that Oceania is offering just a $700 pp credit for not taking their air. If I presume I will want to pick my flights and fly in early, I am adding presumed deviation fee I would have to pay with Oceania air, so I figure I would need to find separate plane tickets costing less than $875 pp to be ahead financially by buying our own air. Question I have is whether that $875 number is truly accurate, or does Oceania add airline taxes to the bottom of the invoice such that my true cost to use Oceania air would be possibly several hundred dollars more than the $875 figure. Thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me.

Ed

The cost of the air is included in the cost of your cruise, hence, you pay the exact amount as shown on your Guest Statement. The air deviation is paid when accepted. There are no hidden costs. You can look at the various websites comparing air fares and see if you can get your own fare at a cost less than $875. If you can, then book it; if not take O's air with the deviation. If you choose to use your own air, Oceania will deduct the $700 per person from your final payment. Arlene

It is my understanding that there are no fees or taxes added on. I recall at one point hearing many complaints about added fees, taxes and fuel surcharges. Oceania must have gotten tired of all the complaints, and now the airfare is all inclusive, except for baggage charges that some airlines charge. Even the cruise prices now include port fees and taxes, which most other cruise lines list separately.

It all depends.

If O can give you your flights at the same price, then that is all you'll pay. If, however, the flights you choose with deviation are more, you'll have to pay the difference.

If you don't like it, you can refuse the deviation and take their flights.

I think this is right - others will chime in I am sure. :)

I check the price it will cost me for my flights then check the air credit adding the deviations fee

then make my choice what works for me

Back a few yrs ago you might have been able to come out ahead booking your own air but the credit has gotten smaller

|For the TA I cannot beat Oceania's prices ;)

Lyn

Yes, based on your post then $875 is the amount to beat.

So book it if you cannot beat the price *if* money is the only criterion.

Do you want to be able to reserve seats? Early on or even at all? You might not be able to with what O provides. It depends on both the airlines *current* rules plus the (likely unknown) class that O has booked for you. Then again, maybe you will be able to book the deviation and your seat and all will be AOK. or maybe this is not a concern for you.

Are airline 'reward points' important to you? Not for me but if be aware you might not get any points if you book through O.

What if you have a connecting flight? Maybe there are none on your route. Maybe you will be arriving with sufficient time that this is not a concern. But if it is tight then you are better off booking your own flights even if it costs more.

Personally we have taken O's flights with deviation most times and we have never had a problem. The last time I even asked for a deviation though was when they offered two choices both which had transfers to a different airline and one was silly tight. If we were delayed we would have been on our own to pay for last minute, very expensive tickets, even if available. Just the suggestions that we take either of the two offers convinced us to always now just book our own and price that into the equation when considering cruise options.

That said we have always had good prompt service with O's deviation depth through our TA and have never had a problem with the flights or routes arranged. However with the increased deviation fee and no contractual guarantees we now weigh our options more carefully.

Concur with Cool Cruiser's/other comments. In 13 Oceania cruises needing air, we've opted to book our own only twice...one because air deviation wanted but not economical, and one to avoid risk to valuables by forced checking of carry-ons on regional jets chosen by OC. Happily, on next cruise, can spend 5 days in London before Nautica takes us to Fjords+ and chose our airlines, flights/routes, seats & travel dates/times for only $195 more than using air deviation through OC.

It is my understanding that there are no fees or taxes added on. I recall at one point hearing many complaints about added fees, taxes and fuel surcharges. Oceania must have gotten tired of all the complaints, and now the airfare is all inclusive, except for baggage charges that some airlines charge. Even the cruise prices now include port fees and taxes, which most other cruise lines list separately.

Oceania never added anything on to their air..never taxes etc..

Jancruz1

It is also important to note that with OC, the fare class of their tickets is usually low in the pecking order due to the favorable pricing (group, consolidator, etc.). In some cases, depending upon the airline you may not be able to get advance seat assignments. While it does not bother everyone, being stuck in a middle seat flying to Asia is not my cup of tea.

Oceania never added anything on to their air..never taxes etc..

Jancruz1

That is not true. In fact they were find 75K at one point for advertising "free air" and then charging the taxes to the client.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-04-28/business/fl-free-air-fare-cruises-20100427_1_regent-seven-seas-cruises-cruise-package-price-costa-cruise-lines

We are interested in putting a request to Oceania to fly premium economy from London to Washington Dulles. Two questions: (1) Is the "up charge" likely to be about the same difference that the airline charges the public between regular economy and premium economy? and (2) the only airlines with premium economy that fly that route nonstop are Virgin Atlantic and British Airways. Does anyone have experience with Oceania booking passengers on those airlines? I am concerned that Oceania would tend to use the U.S. carrier on that route which is United and they do not offer true premium economy.

We are interested in putting a request to Oceania to fly premium economy from London to Washington Dulles. Two questions: (1) Is the "up charge" likely to be about the same difference that the airline charges the public between regular economy and premium economy? and (2) the only airlines with premium economy that fly that route nonstop are Virgin Atlantic and British Airways. Does anyone have experience with Oceania booking passengers on those airlines? I am concerned that Oceania would tend to use the U.S. carrier on that route which is United and they do not offer true premium economy.

Oceania uses British Airways. We recently booked air through O for the first time because they had very reasonable Business class for a one way ticket. I would think they could book you in BA premium as well.

As far as the upcharges are concerned, there is no reason to be concerned because, you will already have Oceania's Price Proposal in hand before you accept your Routing. Once you ACCEPT a Routing, the Deviation Fee becomes nonrefundable, but before you accept a Route, there is no risk at all.

I have not been successful in having Oceania book Premium Economy directly.

Rather, they purchased an Economy ticket (of an upgradeable class) on my behalf, and then I worked with the Airline to get the Premium Economy seats.

When planning this, you will need to keep in mind that Oceania does not purchase their airline tickets until between 30 and 60 days before Sailing, unless A) your cruise is paid in full, and B) You request that the Tickets be purchased earlier than normal.

Some Airlines will permit an upgrade for a reserved but not yet ticketed Passenger; some require that the ticket be purchased.

That is not true. In fact they were find 75K at one point for advertising "free air" and then charging the taxes to the client.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-04-28/business/fl-free-air-fare-cruises-20100427_1_regent-seven-seas-cruises-cruise-package-price-costa-cruise-lines

Paul, I am sorry, I did not remember that at all..it must be an age thing..you are oviously correct!!

Jancruz1

Our experience last fall with Oceania air on British Airways was that we could move our seat assignment around as soon as we were assigned air. We could not purchase the Premium Economy through BA until the day of flight, but we could purchase it through Oceania for $600 per person. So, it was no where near the cost as it is through the airline. Oceania had the option to upgrade to business, (not on BA) for $799 pp. We actually did neither, but about a week before the flight I was able to move us to a bulkhead row for no charge. I was really surprised I was able to do this.

Might be a little higher for me to do get a credit and book my own flights but we go in a day early and may stay 1 or 2 days more, so that is a deviation right there that would cost me extra plus they do not guarantee you the fastest flight or most direct. A friend that has gone on 15+ Oceania cruises says that on one trip, she had 4 flights to get home, where if she had booked it herself, it would have been 2 flights and about 12 hours faster. I am a control freak and the extra costs for me to book my own airlines flights is not more than about $100 each, so I feel it is money well spent.

Might be a little higher for me to do get a credit and book my own flights but we go in a day early and may stay 1 or 2 days more, so that is a deviation right there that would cost me extra plus they do not guarantee you the fastest flight or most direct. A friend that has gone on 15+ Oceania cruises says that on one trip, she had 4 flights to get home, where if she had booked it herself, it would have been 2 flights and about 12 hours faster. I am a control freak and the extra costs for me to book my own airlines flights is not more than about $100 each, so I feel it is money well spent.

I am also a control freak and prefer to book my own air, but in situation I describe above with transatlantic cruise I would need to find airfare for $875 or less to break even with cost of Oceania fare. Cheapest available is in the $2400 range, making Oceania air an offer I cannot refuse.

If you are doing a deviation you can choose the flights you want

I will only do non stops... unless we cannot get there from here routings ;)

Edited by LHT28

O Air most typically buys heavily discounted seats in economy. With many airlines, the cost to upgrade to Premium Economy from an O Air ticket is typically 3-4 times the amount advertised by the airlines for such upgrades.

Some airlines will allow you to move and/or upgrade your tickets earlier than the day of the flight. Many airlines force you to go through O Air, if they purchased the tickets, to make any changes. O Air then uses those moves as money makers.

If you want to use O Air, my recommendation is to get a hard quote from them for exactly what you want and compare that to what you can do on your own. If you choose to go with O Air, pay the full costs of the air fare immediately and demand for the tickets to be purchased and issued at that time.

I do not use O air because we like to go the day before to be on the safe side. O calls this a deviation and charges the fee.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

True, but in paying the Deviation fee, one not only gets to choose the travel dates, but also gets a say in which specific flights (and times) are chosen.

Because of the volume of business that they do with the Airlines, Oceania will sometimes have access to cost advantages which the independent flyer could only dream about.

Don't let the mere fact of the Fee be an impediment. Airfares are quixotic and there are times when flying through Oceania can literally save you thousands of dollars, times when the cost is a wash, and times when flying independently is definitely the way to go.

At any rate, it costs nothing to inquire, so it always pays to price the Air both ways.

I do not use O air because we like to go the day before to be on the safe side. O calls this a deviation and charges the fee.

One of my pet peeves. I am willing to pay the fee for our European cruises, but simply am too cost-conscious to pay an extra $350 to go to Miami a day early next January.

Edited by CintiPam

As someone looking at cruising Oceania for the first time, I just see prices including the air. How does one know the fare without the air costs to do a fair comparison?

Try a "dummy" booking online and exclude the air option - the difference is the credit you would get if you choose to do your own air.

As someone looking at cruising Oceania for the first time, I just see prices including the air. How does one know the fare without the air costs to do a fair comparison?

Or just ask your TA or Oceania