$25.00 fare reduction fee?

squidward

The price on one of the cabins I reserved on Summit in March 2015 has gone down twice in the last 2 weeks. My T/A got me the first reduction, no problem, but when I asked for the second reduction, she said there would be a $25 "fare reduction fee."

Is that a standard practice to charge a fee to get price reductions after the first reduction? Anyone else ever experience this?

:confused:

Never have encountered a fee like this, but would gladly pay it in conjunction with the thousands and thousands of dollars in OBC/free gratuities/group booking prices/other perks that we have received that we would have never seen if booking direct!

Never have encountered a fee like this, but would gladly pay it in conjunction with the thousands and thousands of dollars in OBC/free gratuities/group booking prices/other perks that we have received that we would have never seen if booking direct!

AMEN brother, I couldn't have said it better myself.

We have run into the "fee" issue, but can assure everyone that when it happens it is the last time we ever book anything (or recommend) that TA. Since we cruise over 70 days a year the TA that charges us a small fee will get their fee, and lose thousands in future commissions.

Hank

The fee really makes no sense.:confused:

Instead of paying the fee, what would stop you from simply cancelling the reservation and re-booking the same cabin at the new rate (assuming it's before final payment is due)? The T/A would have to do even MORE work, you'd get the lower rate, and it wouldn't cost a thing.

I wouldn't do that, because I agreed to the T/A terms when I made the reservation, and I don't like to play gotcha games. But next time I book a cruise, I'll insist that my T/A agree to waive this fee, or I'll book elsewhere. :cool:

The TA that charges $100 cancellation fee (unless I book another cruise at the same time I cancel) is already aware that they've lost over 1/2 my business. I now only use them for near in trips where I know I'm going or when they offer some irresistible deal and I'm willing to take a chance. It's their business and they decide how they want to make money. I do business with whoever I choose...and if I don't like their policy, I book elsewhere. I haven't been charged a "price reduction fee" or "cabin change fee" by any agency, but I have the choice of not using that TA again.

BTW, aside from the "group" rates which are somewhat unique to the one TA, almost every other large TA will match any offer you find.

I haven't been charged a price reduction fee, but my TA has reduced the amount of OBC when I got substantial price breaks. I have no problem with that at all, as their commission has been reduced.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Our TA recently started charging $25 for the 2nd change, first no charge. While I don't like it, I know that they have been on hold waiting for Celebrity to answer just like many of us have. Time is money & if they are on hold 15 mins+ to get a price change ( which reduces their commission) they can't be booking new business.

The fee really makes no sense.:confused:

Instead of paying the fee, what would stop you from simply cancelling the reservation and re-booking the same cabin at the new rate (assuming it's before final payment is due)? The T/A would have to do even MORE work, you'd get the lower rate, and it wouldn't cost a thing.

:cool:

I read the fine print and answered my own question: This T/A charges a cancellation and re-booking fee of $35. Gotcha!

I do like my agent and have been very happy working with her, and I doubt she makes the rules. So I won't make a fuss about it. Life's too short. . .and I'm just happy to have a cruise booked!:)

We had to pay $50 a person for canceling a cruise once. A friend of believed their TA would get us a better deal. Nope they did not. We canceled and still paid less for the crusie with our regualr TA, we learned a lesson from that, if a friend says that we still get a quote from both TA's before booking! You need to shop around and see whom gives YOU the best service for YOU. I do not give a flip about them sending me flowers or a bottle of wine lol! MY TA usually gives us onboard credit as a thank you for booking gift. Not much, only about $50 but that is what either the bottle of wine or flowers would cost. I would rather have the credit toward bottle of wine of my choice or whatever else.

Our friends still like that TA, they like their flowers and wine lol. I prefer to save $150 a person and also get a $50 onboard credit. to each his own I guess. That is why I said you must decide what is best for YOU.

BTW, the funny part is, when we told our TA that after rebooking with her after canceling the other, she sent us a bottle of wine and 2 roses in a bud vase on embarkation day. Lol! I guess that was her way of saving thank you for coming back to her.

I know we cannot name names here, so I am not asking for specifics, but has anyone ever had luck with a land-based TA matching what an online agency would provide (excepting perhaps a group rate unique to the online TA)? Just curious. There is something about sitting down in front of someone when booking or making changes that facilitates getting all the questions answered. I am an experienced cruiser, so don't need hand-holding per se, but it is when issues and questions and changes like this come up that a TA is worth their weight in gold. For now we are generally using a big, online TA but I would much prefer to shift to one in my neighborhood.

I know we cannot name names here, so I am not asking for specifics, but has anyone ever had luck with a land-based TA matching what an online agency would provide (excepting perhaps a group rate unique to the online TA)? Just curious. There is something about sitting down in front of someone when booking or making changes that facilitates getting all the questions answered. I am an experienced cruiser, so don't need hand-holding per se, but it is when issues and questions and changes like this come up that a TA is worth their weight in gold. For now we are generally using a big, online TA but I would much prefer to shift to one in my neighborhood.

I use an online agency but I still have a TA assigned to me. They have agents and what my agency does-if there is a rate drop they will not refund but they will move you to a better stateroom. I am okay with that as I have got a good value already. As I already said they are always at least $150 a person less than a "in town "TA.

However, as I also said, I understand that does not work for everyone. Small local agencies probably have to charge cancellation fees or fare reduction fee.

For cruising we have done our own booking for quite awhile but understand TAs need to get paid for services snd time,

For resort packages with air or other complex planning needs, our TA is essential.

Edited by hcat

The price on one of the cabins I reserved on Summit in March 2015 has gone down twice in the last 2 weeks. My T/A got me the first reduction, no problem, but when I asked for the second reduction, she said there would be a $25 "fare reduction fee."

Is that a standard practice to charge a fee to get price reductions after the first reduction? Anyone else ever experience this?

:confused:

We use whichever TA gives us the best price combined with perks. There is one TA we use that charges a $25 reservation adjustment fee. Another doesn't charge a fee for adjustment, but does have a cancellation fee that is waived if we immediately rebook on a different cruise. The 3rd doesn't have any charge for adjustments or rebooks if prior to final payment. So why go with the 1st or 2nd TA? Because they typically provide much better OBC or other perks that make up for a potential $25 fee if a price drop comes along.

Edited by kathynorth