Can Crew Members do this??

MTNestr

In the past I've been told by crew members that they spent the day on one of the islands because it was their day off. If so, are the passengers allowed to spent time with them or buy them a drink/meal or gift?

In the past I've been told by crew members that they spent the day on one of the islands because it was their day off. If so, are the passengers allowed to spent time with them or buy them a drink/meal or gift?

Usually the day amounts to 2-4 hours for them.

Very rarely do the service staff get an entire day off.

They have somerules about being around passengers when they are off.

I don't see an issue with buying a meal.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Yes you can, done it a few times

Usually the day amounts to 2-4 hours for them.

Very rarely do the service staff get an entire day off.

They have somerules about being around passengers when they are off.

I don't see an issue with buying a meal.

Right. Unless they are entertainment or CD staff, they rarely get a full day off. It's usually either a morning or afternoon.

Its just best to let them have their free time to themselves. They deal with passengers at work. They might find any approach like that rather creepy and inappropriate. They meet thousands of new passengers every week and passengers are just numbers to them, no one special. In their own time they would rather be concentrating on the people who really matter to them in their life so it is best to let them have their privacy and let them enjoy their free time.

Could you imagine how you would feel if your job involved customer service and you had a customer or client turn up to your social activities and tried to get close to you?

Its just best to let them have their free time to themselves. They deal with passengers at work. They might find any approach like that rather creepy and inappropriate. They meet thousands of new passengers every week and passengers are just numbers to them, no one special. In their own time they would rather be concentrating on the people who really matter to them in their life so it is best to let them have their privacy and let them enjoy their free time.

Could you imagine how you would feel if your job involved customer service and you had a customer or client turn up to your social activities and tried to get close to you?

Maybe they would find it creepy if you did it but some people cruise often enough to build a rapport with the crew.

On our last cruise on the Maasdam a server whom we had chatted with frequently, told us at breakfast that his boss had given him the day off. We were going to spend the day on a beach excursion from the ship. When we got off the ship to meet up for the transfer, there was our server along with about a dozen other crew, all going on our excursion. It was nice to see them all having fun and letting loose.

Frankly, I think it's better to just provide money in the form of an extra tip so they can enjoy the meal they want in the company they want. DH was walking back to the ship last winter and saw two waiters, husband and wife; enjoying lunch with their few hours off. He had a quiet word with their waitress, paid for their meal and left them alone.

Frankly, I think it's better to just provide money in the form of an extra tip so they can enjoy the meal they want in the company they want. DH was walking back to the ship last winter and saw two waiters, husband and wife; enjoying lunch with their few hours off. He had a quiet word with their waitress, paid for their meal and left them alone.

What a thoughtful and generous gift given in a non-intrusive way! I'll bet they were delighted with the unexpected treat! This is something we'll keep in mind on future cruises! Thanks for sharing!

:)

Elaine

What a nice, thoughtful gift.

That was really nice of you both.

One cruise we met some great people who owned a restaurant with an outstanding chef in one of the Hawaiian Islands. We arranged to go there with them and for us to help serve about 20 or so crew members lunch. While others were eating we got to have some nice casual talk with the CD, Sammi, who also came for lunch. It was a highlight of the cruise for us, and everyone appreciated being on the receiving end of a fine lunch, with no strings attached except to come and have a great time. They did! :D

What a wonderful and thoughtful deed :).

Class act, all the way!

Norris

That is normally the best way to reward crew. It is also not intrusive and respects their private time. I have heard of many stories like that and they really appreciate it when people reward them like that and leave them to enjoy their time off.

I think the whole situation about treating crew or other staff members on shore depends (as does everything in life) with the situation and the people involved. We have bought drinks for some crew people we have run into on shore more than once. I doubt that they found it "creepy" judging from their reactions to us later when on board. Last November while in Ensenada, the last stop of our cruise, one of the entertainers happened to wonder by while our group was at Papas and Beers. He was most happy to stop and chat (his choice) and have some drinks with the group. People are people and some enjoy others' company and some don't. :cool:

Crew have to follow a 'Code of Conduct'.

The code is supposed to apply on and off the ship, while they are

on contract.

For instance, one gent was fired when a passenger saw him on shore

wearing a shirt that said "F*** Everything", and complained about it.

That seemed wildly unfair to me, but that is the policy.

As with all things, interpretation of the policy is an individual decision.

One thing I am careful about -- i have a few friends on ships that I

socialize with. I don't like to be on shore with them, and other crew,

because it makes the other crew uncomfortable that they are around

pax.

If I see someone on shore that I know casually -- I might hand them

a few dollars, say 'have a drink on me', and continue on my way.

Now that's a story I enjoy reading about.

I don't understand the fascination that passengers have with rubbing elbows with the staff and intruding on their personal time. My parents sailed on HAL with their friends. The other couple had a son who at the time worked on the ship at the guests relations desk. They must have thought that he would get time off each day as if it were a nine to five job. They were very disappointed that they only got to eat one meal with him on a 7 day cruise. My parents said that they made more trips than usual to the passenger service desk to check their on board account.

When my daughter worked on Celebrity ships as one of the CD's staff she NEVER got a day off during her six month contracts.

We cruised with her three times and she was able to use her time off (half days at most) to spend it with us. She was also allowed to join us for dinner some evenings but had to be in uniform and wear her badge at all times.

If you want to find any of the crew ashore to buy them a drink just head to the nearest café/bar that has free Wifi. It will be packed.

The only time we've bought a drink for a crew member was on our first cruise. The port lecturer (and this was ages ago, when they had these on every cruise instead of the shopping talk folks) had talked about the museum in Cozumel with the nice second-story bar overlooking the street during her presentation. When we went there, she was was there. We bought her a margarita and enjoyed talking with her.

Have been on several excursion where members of the crew took part as customers. They were always very respectful and gave a lot of good information about their jobs life on the ship. They always said that they have to request an excursion well in advance and have to get a lot of approvals from their supervisors in order to go. Usually they get only one chance per contract so they take advantage of the ports they go too. Everyone I have meet has been a credit to the ship and crusie line. As far as I am concerned they don't pay for any food or drink on the excursion.

I agree totally...never understood this need/desire/desperation to get to know staff and/or get close to them...just enjoy your vacation and those you are traveling with...it's great to be friendly/kind etc and hopefully staff will return it with kindness/smile help etc...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree totally...never understood this need/desire/desperation to get to know staff and/or get close to them...just enjoy your vacation and those you are traveling with...it's great to be friendly/kind etc and hopefully staff will return it with kindness/smile help etc..

Probably because everyone does not share your thoughts on this.

As noted in prior posts many have good friends who are crew members.

Its that choice that makes the world go round. ;)