Guarantee cabin disappointment

suznjune

Just got cabin assignment for Zaandam on July 25. Paid for H guarantee. We are put in FF1962! Have I not read somewhere that the FF cabins are undesireable and not an improvement on H? I know we are only in there for 3 nights on a Land/Sea tour, but am nervous about the low deck and noise aft. Any advice?

As there are only 2 H category cabins I can find, there was a VERY high chance you were going to get moved up.

As the two H cabins are facing aft, at the stern, and the FF are more midships, generally, the FFs are in fact an upgrade.

There are risks you take when booking a GTY. This might be considered a negative outcome, but technically, it is not.

Edited by CruiserBruce

There are H cabins on upper promenade deck. This is where I thought I would be, not just above the engines. TA did not give me the choice of a cabin, just guarantee. I was not aware that I might get a "bad" cabin location. Learned my lesson I guess. Glad it is only 3 days. Then again, maybe that is why I got stuck here.

FF cabins on R and S class ships (Zaandam is R class) are the lowest category of unobstructed ocean view cabins with regular window (not porthole). In addition your cabin is a triple which means it will have a full length sofa. We always do guarantees and usually FF guarantees. That is because anything FF or above is ok with us. The H cabins on lower promenade deck are IMO not nearly as good. They are obstructed, they are smaller, and you need to keep the drapes closed if cabin lights are on.

If you aren't willing to take the cabin assigned, then don't book a guarantee. Your TA should have given you a choice of booking a specific cabin or booking a guarantee.

Edited by Jemima
spelling

Thanks for info from someone who knows about these cabins. As a newbie I did not understand how guarantees worked. Hoping to be able to sleep without too much noise disruption. Fortunately have specific cabin booked for Zuiderdam in November.

A few years ago we stayed in F1960 on the Volendam, we only noticed noise on the sailaway from vancouver, I guess the ship was using thrusters and the was a lot of vibration and noise so we just left the cabin. It was the only time we noticed any noise or vibration. I'm sure it will be the same for you, just enjoy your sailways up on deck :)

Plus the will be no noise from upstairs as its cabins and will be only a few people passing your cabin in the hallway

When you book a guarantee with any line, you must do it with open eyes that you may not get the best cabin. If you are unhappy with your cabin assignment it may not be too late to ask for an upsell to a better cabin or category. Make the request, evaluate any offers, and decide if you are willing to pay the extra bucks.

Hank

Sorry you were disappointed. At least this will be a short stay. It won't be awful.;)

Usually gty rooms are a nice value. But now you know you have to do your research knowing the ship's categories/rooms before booking. Have fun.

A few years ago I had E2686 as a gty cabin. It was HORRIBLE.

The noise was unbearable while docking. Coupled with the no AC the whole week, hubby and I didn't sleep.

I hope you get moved mid ship. It was the worst cabin ever. I will only book high decks now because of the awful experience on the Zaandam.

We've had cabins aft lowest level before on HAL, and were really worried when we set off - lots of whining noise from the thrusters. But once out of port, it was fine. Only an issue coming in to and out of ports. At which times we're always awake.

Don't worry. It's all good.

Barb

If you book a guarantee and get either the level booked or an upgrade, you get exactly what you asked for: what's the problem?
To be fair to the OP (and anyone else who's not familiar with how guarantee cabins work), it does take a little of bit of experience to work out exactly what you need to do. My approach is to make sure that I would be happy with the worst cabin in the grade in which I'm booking a guarantee, and the worst cabin in every grade of cabin above that in the cruise line's ladder (which may not reflect my own views). But it takes quite a bit of work to apply that to the deck plans and then work out what's the minimum grade of cabin in which I'd be happy to book a guarantee. A less experienced cruiser whose TA just says "I can book you in this grade, but it'll be a guarantee rather than a specific cabin" may not know enough to question that or to override the advice.

Thanks for info from someone who knows about these cabins. As a newbie I did not understand how guarantees worked. Hoping to be able to sleep without too much noise disruption. Fortunately have specific cabin booked for Zuiderdam in November.

Great -- I am glad to read that you booked a specific cabin for your Zuiderdam cruise.

Thanks Globaliser for noting that we all are not experienced in the ways of cruising. I did not realize that an unobstructed view cabin in the "basement" is an upgrade for obstructed view on higher deck. When I booked I was only concerned with having daylight of some kind. Hoping that my clear view is worth the risk of noise and that the elevators run fast.

I understand your frustration. I would also feel that there is a difference between a cabin on one deck and another 2 decks above. That's the problem with GTYs. What HAL considers an upgrade you may certainly not.

Best advice is to try and see if you can take advantage of an upgrade yourself or be prepared and bring some ear plugs with you, just in case.

I'm sorry you are not happy with your cabin assignment now but I think you will end up happy with the assignment. I think your TA told you you could not choose your own cabin and that's likely true. Often, when somebody books a segment of a voyage assigned cabins are held for those booking the entire voyage. HAL does not want to let you choose a your ideal H cabin and somebody on the second half of the voyage pick another, then both cabins are unavailable to somebody doing the whole cruise. I've faced that situation several times on segments of grand voyages on HAL, Cunard, and Crystal.

From your situation it sounds like you are doing a cruise tour (I don't think HAL ever offers those 3-night segments as a standalone cruise). I hope having the time in the Great Land after your minicruise ends will make up for any disappointment in your shipboard cabin.

Roy

Why not ask your TA if you can be placed back in the gty pool.

We had a similar situation on Carnival a few years ago. Did not like our gty assignment at all. TA said that we could be put back in the gty pool for another cabin but that we would have to accept what was given the second time around.

If you a truly unhappy it cannot hurt to ask. What is the worst thing that they can say?