Insignia World Cruise 2016

MightyQuinn

Mark your calendars! Just received notice from our TA that Insignia will do another World Cruise in 2016. Reservations open at the end of this month.

Announcing the 2016 Around the World Cruise

Following the overwhelmingly positive response to Insignia's unique and unprecedented itineraries next year, we are pleased to announce a new Around the World in 180 Days voyage sailing roundtrip from Miami on January 4th, 2016.

Insignia's route will take guests from the southern Caribbean and South America to the western shores of Africa and around the Cape of Good Hope. Continuing to Asia, the itinerary features several overnight stays, including two-night stays in Rangoon (Yangon) and Shanghai. After stops in the Philippines, Borneo and Bali, guests will visit Australia and New Zealand before exploring the islands of French Polynesia. Insignia calls on four of the Hawaiian Islands en route to Los Angeles and then returns to Miami via the Panama Canal, completing her circumnavigation of the globe.

This fascinating voyage includes:

• 92 ports in 45 countries
  • Five maiden ports of call
  • 14 overnight stays
  • Crossing the Equator six times
  • 74 days at sea
  • Sailing more than 47,000 nautical miles

Guests reserving this journey will receive 2 for 1 Cruise Fares with Free FIRST CLASS Roundtrip Airfare* and Early Booking Savings up to 71%. They will also enjoy the Exclusive Prestige Package, which includes:

• Free Pre-Paid Gratuities - a value up to $8,300
  • Free Onboard Medical Services
  • Free Unlimited Internet
  • Free Laundry Services
  • Free Exclusive Shoreside Events
  • Free Visa Package
  • Free Luggage Delivery
  • Free 1-Night Pre-Cruise Luxury Hotel Stay
  • Free Roundtrip Transfers

Mark your calendars for Wednesday, July 30th which is when this unique voyage will open for reservations!

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously considering this cruise, but one practical consideration has me stumped?

Since this cruise would leave in early January before any financial paperwork would be in hand and prior to submitting the US Federal Income Tax forms and payment, how would one handle the issue of the US Federal Taxes which would would be due mid cruise?

Seriously considering this cruise, but one practical consideration has me stumped?

Since this cruise would leave in early January before any financial paperwork would be in hand and prior to submitting the US Federal Income Tax forms and payment, how would one handle the issue of the US Federal Taxes which would would be due mid cruise?

Really pretty simple; you simply file for an extension prior to leaving home. You do need to make sure you have withheld all or most of what you will owe. You then file once you get home. As long as you have withheld the total owed, no problem and as long as you get close and have the filing extension the extra interest if you underwithhold really isn't a lot. If concerned over the interest, just overwithhold during the year and get a refund come July.

If one can afford the world cruise, would think it's likely that one has an accountant to whom power of attorney can be given to handle such matters in one's absence.

If you're out of the country on April 15 you are automatically given an extension (not sure if it's three months or six months). You would still be charged interest if you owe anything.

If you're out of the country on April 15 you are automatically given an extension (not sure if it's three months or six months). You would still be charged interest if you owe anything.

You are partially correct. There is an automatic extension when you are out of the country however, it there are specifics that you have to meet in order to get that automatic extension and being on a world cruise does NOT meet the IRS's requirements.

Don't remember the specifics but, I did research the issue we we took our World Cruise in 2013. To be safe, highly recommend completing the form to get an automatic extension and it is absolutely a simple form that can be completed in literally in one or two minutes maximum. You already know everything except your total tax liability for the year and you are allowed to estimate the number and as long as it is equal to or larger than your withholding, you are good to go. Don't have to be exact so suggest you over estimate and if you need to pay a few bucks with the extension form or simply pay short and then pay the balance when you get home and file your form. The interest of late payments after April 15 is really quite small.

Most of all, don't worry about your taxes and enjoy your cruise.

You are partially correct. There is an automatic extension when you are out of the country however, it there are specifics that you have to meet in order to get that automatic extension and being on a world cruise does NOT meet the IRS's requirements.

Don't remember the specifics but, I did research the issue we we took our World Cruise in 2013. To be safe, highly recommend completing the form to get an automatic extension and it is absolutely a simple form that can be completed in literally in one or two minutes maximum. You already know everything except your total tax liability for the year and you are allowed to estimate the number and as long as it is equal to or larger than your withholding, you are good to go. Don't have to be exact so suggest you over estimate and if you need to pay a few bucks with the extension form or simply pay short and then pay the balance when you get home and file your form. The interest of late payments after April 15 is really quite small.

Most of all, don't worry about your taxes and enjoy your cruise.

Thank you Dave et al for your helpful responses wrt IRS filings. Not sure why one responder assumes that if I can afford the cruise, then of course I will have someone who can do it for me. Thats a bit presumptive.

Not sure why one responder assumes that if I can afford the cruise, then of course I will have someone who can do it for me. Thats a bit presumptive.

Maybe they thought if you are spending 80,000. + you could afford to hire an accountant rather than miss filing with the IRS

I know if I was taking a world cruise I certainly would get someone to file on my behalf

Of course people choose to spend their money in different ways

YMMD

Lyn

Thank you Dave et al for your helpful responses wrt IRS filings. Not sure why one responder assumes that if I can afford the cruise, then of course I will have someone who can do it for me. Thats a bit presumptive.

As the person who made the alleged "presumption," I'll respond. LHT said what I had on my mind when I made my original post. Good golly, we have an accountant who does it all for us, and he costs us around $400. per year, but then we keep good records that are easy to turn over. That amount is a fraction of the cost of travel insurance (imagine booking a world cruise without travel insurance!); it's less than the cost of one night in a pre-cruise hotel; it's the cost of a couple of good meals ashore; and it is most certainly a tiny, tiny fraction of a world cruise whose cost could easily go over $100,000 -- even if one's taxes are far more complicated than ours. To borrow that line from the TV commercial: The value of peace of mind regarding the IRS while on a lengthy cruise: priceless. But then, your mileage may vary.

"Presumptive?" No. Seems like common sense to me.

like Paulchili I too am interested in the segments. Can one surmise what the segments might be by looking at some of the overnights....such as Bangkok, etc. to get an idea of when people might be disembarking, embarking?

Or perhaps by number of days, ie. 10 or 12?

like Paulchili I too am interested in the segments. Can one surmise what the segments might be by looking at some of the overnights....such as Bangkok, etc. to get an idea of when people might be disembarking, embarking?

Or perhaps by number of days, ie. 10 or 12?

You could always look at the 2015 world cruise to get an idea but there is no guarantee they will be the same

Lyn

LHT28, that's exactly what I did--to look at '15, which is why I thought one of the segments might start in Bangkok. Thanks for confirming what I think might happen.

I'm also interested in what land excursions they might have because I'm willing to spend the big bucks for O to take me to and from Angkor Wat!

LHT28, that's exactly what I did--to look at '15, which is why I thought one of the segments might start in Bangkok. Thanks for confirming what I think might happen.

I'm also interested in what land excursions they might have because I'm willing to spend the big bucks for O to take me to and from Angkor Wat!

I am not so sure about a segment starting in Bangkok. While I am not privy to this info, I would guess it may start/end in Singapore and then next in Hong Kong.

The overnight in BKK could be used for a trip to Angkor Wat - or just to explore BKK better.

Of course, it would be better for you if it did start in BKK - that way you could do AW before (or after) your cruise at your leisure and at much less expense. Much the same could be said about Singapore - Angkor Wat is a short flight away from both places.

Time will tell :)

Edited by Paulchili

The Jan 2015 full cruise went on sail mid July 2013 and the segments 2 months later in mid Sep.

Those doing the full 2015 cruise have had the last 2 days to book early for 2016. Nobody on the roll call (about 50 cabins) has indicated they have taken advantage of this offer.

Paul,

you're absolutely right--if a cruise segment begins in Bangkok we can arrive several days early (and we'd arrive a couple of days early anyway) and get an AWat Tour on our own.

Our TA was going to try and find out about land excursions for us as well as the segments but I haven't heard back tonight.

Singapore would also be a great place to begin the segments we're interested in. c

I use TurboTax to prepare my taxes and have done so since the late '80s. Next year's program will use all my records from this year. The biggest change in my filing will be calculating the results of the sales of securities to pay for the cruise, and I have already begun that process. I'll have TT installed before we leave home, and all 1099's and such will be availble on line using the unlimited Internet. I'll file electronically so won't need an extension. Our taxes are fairly complex but I've never had a problem with TT. To me, saving money is how we can afford to splurge, but this will be the only WC we will ever do.

I can understand why no one on the 2015 cruise is booking the 2016. Once you've done it, what's the point of doing it again?

Edited by hondorner

Mr. Hondorner,

Since we're contemplating doing 90 of the 180 days in 2016, would you consider writing a blog on your cruise or posting reviews here on CC?

I realize it is a huge burden but I know there would be many, many people interested in your observations.

I know it would be a real help to me....and that's all that matters, right!!

(glad you're getting better....keep up the great work...and some days it is work to get better, isn't it?)

I'll be doing something, but I don't yet know what. I tried a faithful blog in 2011 when we combined a 4 month RV trip with an Alaska cruise; I was very regular until we hit the cruise. We didn't buy much internet on the ship and I got out of the habit; I posted nothing the entire second half.

I also find I take far fewer pictures (and thus have clearer picture in my mind because I took the time to look instead of shoot). Today I don't even take a camera - just my small tablet (upon which I am hunt & peck typing right now, which is why so many errors get past), or a phone.

I have a special account from something called S-Drive that includes basic blogging software and the web space to store and stream it. When I post to it, it gets directed to my personal website and to my Facebook page in the form of a "teaser" that can be clicked to get the entire post. I can create a message on that from laptop, tablet (Samsung Galaxy Note 8, about the size of an iPad Mini), or phone. I'm just not very good at keeping it up to date; the last post was about a year ago!

When internet is included (like on this WC) I often do an informal "Live from" when the spirit motivates me. Certainly, whatever I post will likely be from a different context as some others, as we are REALLY stretching to handle and afford this cruise.

I love the idea of being a foreign correspodent with a GoPro camera and a satellite phone, but the reality is that I'm a bit boring.

Interesting what you say about looking rather than taking a photo, but I find I'm the opposite. Taking the picture helps me remember the scene better. I find the scene stays "in my mind's eye" better after having photographed a scene. I still vividly remember scenes from my 1964 car trip around the U.S. and Canada.

I don't think I'd remember as well if I had not been taking photos ...

We're all different.

Mura