Tipping in bars/lounges

viajante74

That's too much of a generalisation, Dave. I come from a country where tips are included, and you get good service and bad service in exactly the same ratio as in N. America, where tips are added.

Canadians don't count - they are too nice a people (in general)!

I know there are some areas where it does not matter, but I have seen too many times where my generalization is correct. Just my opinion of course.

DaveOKC

Sometimes the bartenders are very nice and friendly. I only tip extra when I receive extra service (IMO). I know its not required.

DaveOKC

Unless you order a complicated drink that has to be mixed, what kind of extra service can they provide if all they have to do is pour you a beer, fill your glass with soda out of the nozzle or pour out a pre-mixed drink and add some ice and a piece of fruit. Just my opinion but being forced to add 15% for this "service" is outrageous.

DON

Don't believe me? Just go to a country where tips are included on your bill and in most (not all to be sure), the service you receive will not be as good.

Just my thought for today!

DaveOKC

I have. Australia. Service was good there - in many respects better than tip-happy USA.

DON

We often find that the Filipino bar tenders and wine stewards go above and beyond in their service and friendliness, and we remember them, and they remember us! At the end of the cruise we enjoy hunting them out, making our farewells, with a little something extra. They make our cruises better.

Unless you order a complicated drink that has to be mixed, what kind of extra service can they provide if all they have to do is pour you a beer, fill your glass with soda out of the nozzle or pour out a pre-mixed drink and add some ice and a piece of fruit. Just my opinion but being forced to add 15% for this "service" is outrageous.

DON

I am mostly a wine drinker. There have been times when the wine I like that is usually available at HAL bars was not there. The bartender went around the ship from bar to bar until he found a bottle to bring back for me to enjoy. I appreciate that effort.

If they have the time when the bar is not too busy, we enjoy when they share a chat with us, tell a joke, remember us from previous cruises..... in general, be that much more 'present' and available to see that we have what we need and want. A friendly demeanor by servers goes a long way in creating a pleasant mood/atmosphere for a couple to enjoy their cocktails. Sure beats a scowling, unpleasant perfunctory functionary. :D

These are just a few of the reasons we most usually tip the bartenders who take care of us during our cruises.

DH always tips extra in cash to the bartenders who have done extra things for us at the end of the cruise ... or on a B2B, at the end of each sailing. :)

We do this because we want to ... not because we have to.

LuLu

I find threads re tipping and service interesting. Many cruisers talk up their favorite line including the "great service" provided. So then it makes one think...are the cruisers raving about service the ones tipping "extra"? I would find it sad to think if the "extras" all stopped, that the staff on HAL would suddenly change into some kind of lazy, unhelpful group of employees. Can't everyone expect great service on a ship?

Thinking about the comments thus far on this topic, a thought struck me. Those of you who do not feel that you should ever add an extra tip for any service (including bars) are reaping the benefits of superior service without paying for it.

What I mean is, if no one ever tipped extra, I am certain that human nature being what it is, the level of service would end up being much inferior to what it is today. Everyone likes to be recognized for a job well done, and extra tipping is a way to express that. Makes it more likely that the person will continue to do a better job in the future I believe.

Don't believe me? Just go to a country where tips are included on your bill and in most (not all to be sure), the service you receive will not be as good.

DaveOKC

A terrible generalisation. It is possible fro people to do a good job because they want to do a good job, not just for the hope of more money.

I am going to ask a foolish question, at least some might think so? What is it that a beverage server can or will do that is over and above their job to take your order and then you bring the drink to you that require you or at least you think it does, to give an a further tip over the 15%? I might be missing something in the realizing service we get on our cruises that is very good, but I don't see as over and above what I think they are doing.

Like the others, I don't think it's a foolish question at all. Bartenders who remember your name, remember your favorite drinks, show you bar tricks, games, etc, or even hook you up with a little extra this or that are well deserving of a little extra, in my opinion.

Two things I don't like about HAL though...this line seems to be much more stingy with their pours, measuring everything out. Also, you can't add extra tip to the receipts. I don't like carrying cash around the ship, so it would be nice if the receipts had an extra tip line like all the other cruise lines.

We mostly patronise the Ocean Bar and if one of the waiters--or two---has made our cruise more enjoyable there is always an envelope on the last night. If it is just random routine service by several waiters throughout the cruise I don't bother.

A terrible generalisation. It is possible fro people to do a good job because they want to do a good job, not just for the hope of more money.

I tended bar for quite a few years in my single days. I always did a good job and not for the hope of making more money.

I did it to meet women :)

Thinking about the comments thus far on this topic, a thought struck me. Those of you who do not feel that you should ever add an extra tip for any service (including bars) are reaping the benefits of superior service without paying for it.

What I mean is, if no one ever tipped extra, I am certain that human nature being what it is, the level of service would end up being much inferior to what it is today. Everyone likes to be recognized for a job well done, and extra tipping is a way to express that. Makes it more likely that the person will continue to do a better job in the future I believe.

DaveOKC

With the wonderful dining wait staff, bar staff, and room stewards, I doubt this would ever happen. Our experience with these wonderful people is what causes us to come back again and again to HAL!

Dan

They are already charging a 15% gratuity. If you find a bartender that really delivers outstanding service, it's entirely at your discretion if you want to add something extra.

Exactly! You're paying a service charge of 15%. Anything else between you and your bartenders & wait staff.

Exactly! You're paying a service charge of 15%. Anything else between you and your bartenders & wait staff.

I guess the question is - if you were at a land based bar or dining establishment and they added 15% to your bill automatically, would you ever add a bit extra tip? I think most of us would if the service warranted it. Most people that I know do not leave only 15%, mostly like 17-20% (or more).

So, whats the difference in that it is a cruise ship?

DaveOKC

I have a friend that always tips a dollar everytime she orders a drink.

That's pretty much my M.O. every time I go out for drinks. So in theory, the 15% service charge should suffice for me. However, I fully intend on tipping extra for excellent service.

What most of you may not be considering is "who " is getting that 15% tip. I may be mistaken but I think that "all" the automatic tips are "pooled" with ALL the customer service crew and split up. So that 15% you give for the drink gets distributed to the waiters/busboys/kitchen staff/housekeeping/guys polishing the britework/laundry staff/etc etc etc. AND if you add "a little something more" to a check, that $$ just falls into the pool and does NOT go to the particular waiter/bartender you like.

The only way he (she) will ever profit from an extra tip is if it is slipped to him (in cash) discreetly. (Hand them an envelope and they are "supposed" to turn it into the "kitty".)

As an aside, our nieces husband is a restaurateur who makes it a point of seeking our waiters/bartenders at the BEGINNING of a cruise, slipping them a bit and letting them know more is to come at the end if things are "exceptional". DAMN if it does not work REALLY well!

SNIP

As for the "why," we typically tip more than 15% at home. You certainly don't have to and you are probably in the majority based on my observations.

We also live in South Florida & when we go to local Restaurants & the service is good to excellent we generally leave a 20% tip (sometimes even more at Christmas) .. Even when I travelled on Business I would normally leave 20%.. When I travelled in Europe, many European restaurants automatically added a service charge but would still leave a little extra when the service was good to excellent..

Even at stateside weddings, which have an open bar with tips included, I've seen DH give the bartender an extra dollar tip for a drink.. When our Friends daughter was married he specifically told the caterers that no tip jar was to be put on the bar as he planned on tipping them himself.. Even then many handed a tip to the Bartender..

We enjoy Happy hour in the Crows Nest.. If we've had the same steward who remembers us, our drinks, brings peanuts & is pleasant & happy, then we enjoy giving him/her a little extra..

Perhaps it's because I once worked as a hat check person in a very fancy local restaurant when I first got into the airline field.. My meager airline salary went to my living expenses & I did not have enough cash to take advantage of my so called "Free" trips to Europe.. So I Hat checked to supplement my income & those tips paid for my hotel, meals & small gifts for the family while on vacation..

Edited by serendipity1499

What most of you may not be considering is "who " is getting that 15% tip. I may be mistaken but I think that "all" the automatic tips are "pooled" with ALL the customer service crew and split up. So that 15% you give for the drink gets distributed to the waiters/busboys/kitchen staff/housekeeping/guys polishing the britework/laundry staff/etc etc etc. AND if you add "a little something more" to a check, that $$ just falls into the pool and does NOT go to the particular waiter/bartender you like.

This is not correct.

There are two separate "tip pools", as you call them. The $11.50 or $12.00 per person, per day Hotel Service Charge is the one that is distributed among the various "waiters/busboys/kitchen staff/...etc etc etc." If the HSC is left intact, any cash given to that staff is kept by them.

The service charge applied in the lounges is distributed among the various bar/lounge staff. Any cash given can be kept by the individual.

Now, in practice it would not be unheard of if the various personnel in each lounge voluntarily pooled cash tips within the lounge. Having that sort of arrangement helps foster teamwork in the smaller group. But that is not a given, and is their choice to make.

Now, in practice it would not be unheard of if the various personnel in each lounge voluntarily pooled cash tips within the lounge.

I've seen cash tips put in a common jar in the Crow's Nest on one ship, but I can't remember which one. :)

I've seen cash tips put in a common jar in the Crow's Nest on one ship, but I can't remember which one. :)

I have definitely seen it on Eurodam and Maasdam. Certainly could be the case on other/all the ships but it is up to individual bar crew who are aboard together at the same time.

Ruth C wrote:

The service charge applied in the lounges is distributed among the various bar/lounge staff. Any cash given can be kept by the individual.

I am sure you are correct about the daily hotel service charge. (You simply articulate if better than me!)

But as far as "any cash given can be kept by the individual" goes, I beg to differ. As recently as February of this month (On the Volendam) we were told bluntly by two different bar wait staff that the company policy was they HAD to put all additional tips into the communal "tip jar" which was shared with everyone who had anything to do with bar service. (Front and back room)

The second waiter to tell us this was at the airport with us on his way home at the end of his current contract. Amazing how they open up when away from "Mother HAL"... And how bitter this long time HAL employee was about the changes in the "tipping rules". (Interesting hour long conversation)

Fred