Freedom of the Seas drydock

Since I'm leaving in 5 days, I'm even more worried. If they cancel the cruise on Friday/Saturday, where does that put me? Too late to get on another ship. I'm super depressed/worried now.

Some of you are reading too much into my post. There was absolutely no mention of canceling any cruises. The Chief Engineer is 90% sure they can fix it internally during port stops (they can't work on it when underway, since the prop and internal mechanisms are windmilling). I only speculated that a dry dock would be required if they can't fix it internally. Don't lose any sleep over this.

P.S. I'm having a great cruise. Today is a sea day and it's sunny, warm with cal seas and a slight breeze.

Same here Bill. I got a decent BOGOHO rate and then a substantial price drop. A cruise on Allure leaving the same day is many hundreds more and there are only accessible inside cabins left :o

Hard to believe they turned her loose knowing there was a problem?

I would have been more surprised if they kept the ship out of service without having everything in place to fix it. This way the ship generates income and they can pull it if they need to and fix it as quickly as possible. This is exactly what they did with Allure last year. When everything was in place to fix the pod they brought the ship over to Nassau and had it all done within a week. I, however, was biting my finger nails hoping that one week was going to do it as we were on the first sailing after the fix was completed.

I would have been more surprised if they kept the ship out of service without having everything in place to fix it. This way the ship generates income and they can pull it if they need to and fix it as quickly as possible. This is exactly what they did with Allure last year. When everything was in place to fix the pod they brought the ship over to Nassau and had it all done within a week. I, however, was biting my finger nails hoping that one week was going to do it as we were on the first sailing after the fix was completed.

Very true. I really didnt think about that. :o Hopefully they can get it straightened out soon. I will certainly be following what I can about it though!

I'm on the Feb 1 sailing and just attended the Captains Corner. The Fixipod is inop. I talked to the Chief Engineer after the Capts Corne; apparently, while replacing the bearings the maintenance workers unknowingly (??) damaged some internal electrical components. The Fixipod is currently windmilling, which creates more drag and the Azipods are running at max power to get ~18 Kts. They can access the inside of the Fixipod When the ship is in port. A design fix is being developed and then has to be fabricated. He's 90% confident they can repair the pod in 30 days without a dry dock. If they can't repair it through internal access I assume they'll need to send it back to dry dock. I hope they don't need to do that. They haven't changed any of our port times, so we're making sufficient speed. The failure occurred within 24 hours of leaving Freeport.

Oh Boy! The never ending story?

Speculation reigns as usual.

Very surprising that none of the travel agents that were on the two night cruise haven't posted about a problem.

I'm not sure if the speculation comment was aimed at me, but I only passed on information from the Captains Corner and a discussion with Chief Engineer afterward. I am sorry I mentioned the slight possibility of a dry dock, since it got so many people wound up. I admit that was my educated opinion.

Unlike the travel agents on the 2 nighter, I am a retired engineer, have been on 20 cruises, and have a good grasp of technology. I noticed there were only 2 prop wash wakes behind the ship last night and wanted to find out why.

I think all will be cleared up when this cruise comes back on Sunday. I would imagine that someone on this cruise would say something about the alterations of port times.

For such a beloved ship, she might as well be nicknamed - "Seabiscuit"

Edited by Cavy92

I'm not sure if the speculation comment was aimed at me, but I only passed on information from the Captains Corner and a discussion with Chief Engineer afterward. I am sorry I mentioned the slight possibility of a dry dock, since it got so many people wound up. I admit that was my educated opinion.

Unlike the travel agents on the 2 nighter, I am a retired engineer, have been on 20 cruises, and have a good grasp of technology. I noticed there were only 2 prop wash wakes behind the ship last night and wanted to find out why.

I was on the 2 nighter in an aft balcony deck 9.... there was a full wake. During the night we were up to at least 20 some odd knots.. other wise he was booking... However, we did feel quite a bit of vibration... even the ceiling panels were vibrating..

This was our first "aft" cabin and don't know if this is common... we won't take another aft cabin again due to the vibration..

I'm on the Feb 1 sailing and just attended the Captains Corner. The Fixipod is inop. I talked to the Chief Engineer after the Capts Corne; apparently, while replacing the bearings the maintenance workers unknowingly (??) damaged some internal electrical components. The Fixipod is currently windmilling, which creates more drag and the Azipods are running at max power to get ~18 Kts. They can access the inside of the Fixipod When the ship is in port. A design fix is being developed and then has to be fabricated. He's 90% confident they can repair the pod in 30 days without a dry dock. If they can't repair it through internal access I assume they'll need to send it back to dry dock. I hope they don't need to do that. They haven't changed any of our port times, so we're making sufficient speed. The failure occurred within 24 hours of leaving Freeport.

Maybe they should have done a sea trial instead of taking her on a joy ride for VIP's. Just saying. :banghead:

Many thanks Barklee for sending us quick info. Cozumel, I expect will be your last stop on Friday. Any change in depart time then and expected time change to reach Canaveral? On a recent cruise on the Freedom they blamed the currents.

There apparently have been no changes in dry dock that affect me

Thanks in advance.

Bob E

Same here Bill. I got a decent BOGOHO rate and then a substantial price drop. A cruise on Allure leaving the same day is many hundreds more and there are only accessible inside cabins left :o

Hard to believe they turned her loose knowing there was a problem?

Don't get me started. Luckily I'm not on her until June

Many thanks Barklee for sending us quick info. Cozumel, I expect will be your last stop on Friday. Any change in depart time then and expected time change to reach Canaveral? On a recent cruise on the Freedom they blamed the currents.

There apparently have been no changes in dry dock that affect me

Thanks in advance.

Bob E

FOS is doing an Eastern itinerary this week. Tomorrow she's scheduled in St. Thomas, Thursday in St Martin, then two sea days at the back end.

Maybe they should have done a sea trial instead of taking her on a joy ride for VIP's. Just saying. :banghead:

That is why they did this "joy ride" .... it was to get the crew up and running, so the crew marine safety tests, training etc while we were on board ...SO u the clients could get the best RCCL experience.....SMH !!!!

CC

That is why they did this "joy ride" .... it was to get the crew up and running, so the crew marine safety tests, training etc while we were on board ...SO u the clients could get the best RCCL experience.....SMH !!!!

CC

Do they typically do that? I don't recall other ships doing that post dry dock. And what is SMH?

Do they typically do that? I don't recall other ships doing that post dry dock. And what is SMH?

Yes.. inaugurals and refurbs they will do an industry sailing. Most were really working there touchys off to bring back the most info, pics etc for guests. It was two days but most days I was working.... seeing rooms, going to meetings etc.. yes we had fun but that was to make sure the RCL experience was up to PAR. and yes.. the ice show was great the parades great... dining room had some improvements...

I would recommend Freedom any time of day.. this was my 4th time on her

CC

PS is SMH.. is Shaking My Head... meaning someone pointing a negative when not needed