Freedom of the Seas drydock

I'm not sure if the speculation comment was aimed at me, but I only passed on information from the Captains Corner and a discussion with Chief Engineer afterward. I am sorry I mentioned the slight possibility of a dry dock, since it got so many people wound up. I admit that was my educated opinion.

Unlike the travel agents on the 2 nighter, I am a retired engineer, have been on 20 cruises, and have a good grasp of technology. I noticed there were only 2 prop wash wakes behind the ship last night and wanted to find out why.

I, for one, REALLY appreciate your info!

Some of you are reading too much into my post. There was absolutely no mention of canceling any cruises. The Chief Engineer is 90% sure they can fix it internally during port stops (they can't work on it when underway, since the prop and internal mechanisms are windmilling). I only speculated that a dry dock would be required if they can't fix it internally. Don't lose any sleep over this.

P.S. I'm having a great cruise. Today is a sea day and it's sunny, warm with cal seas and a slight breeze.

How are words straight from the Chief Engineer that she is STILL broken speculation? :confused:

I never said the Chief Engineer on the Freedom speculated anything, I was referring to the post above and all the posts that followed. So far we have had people speculate that the ship will miss ports, have less time in ports, have cruises cancelled, among other things.

Hard to keep the weed out the actual facts from speculation when we can't even get people on this thread to agree whether it is doing an eastern or western itinerary this week.

Yes.. inaugurals and refurbs they will do an industry sailing. Most were really working there touchys off to bring back the most info, pics etc for guests. It was two days but most days I was working.... seeing rooms, going to meetings etc.. yes we had fun but that was to make sure the RCL experience was up to PAR. and yes.. the ice show was great the parades great... dining room had some improvements...

I would recommend Freedom any time of day.. this was my 4th time on her

CC

PS is SMH.. is Shaking My Head... meaning someone pointing a negative when not needed

Don't get me wrong, big fan of FOS and PC in general. I've been on her 8 times with 6 booked. It just seems that these past couple of inaugural/refurbs have not gone well. More bad press than good. I still think with all the negative press this winter, delays and cancellations, they could have used those extra two days for more testing. ;)

I never said the Chief Engineer on the Freedom speculated anything, I was referring to the post above and all the posts that followed. So far we have had people speculate that the ship will miss ports, have less time in ports, have cruises cancelled, among other things.

Hard to keep the weed out the actual facts from speculation when we can't even get people on this thread to agree whether it is doing an eastern or western itinerary this week.

Well Im trying not to freak out just yet :) I have been looking forward to this cruise for months and haven't been on a cruise in almost 3 years. Everything is paid in full, my vacation is approved, I have quiet a few friends joining me and trying to get on another cruise for us all would be practically impossible.

I remember being all worried about my Radiance cruise in 2011 because she was plagued with problems, was having delayed boardings and had a recent Noro outbreak. That cruise was wonderful and went off perfectly :)

Were within the 70 day mark. Going into worry mode is rather typical for me :o

Edited by ryano

What will be, will be. I'd rather be limping around the Caribbean with a fantastic future cruise credit, than sitting in Toronto watching the snow fall.

Limping around the Caribbean would be just fine for me! I really dont care where we go :) Just hoping for no cancellations. I remember what they did to the January 2015 sailings and the truth is, if they cant get her fixed up during the port stops, a drydock will most certainly be mandatory I would think?

Well Im trying not to freak out just yet :) I have been looking forward to this cruise for months and haven't been on a cruise in almost 3 years. Everything is paid in full, my vacation is approved, I have quiet a few friends joining me and trying to get on another cruise for us all would be practically impossible.

I remember being all worried about my Radiance cruise in 2011 because she was plagued with problems, was having delayed boardings and had a recent Noro outbreak. That cruise was wonderful and went off perfectly :)

I am watching this closely because my Mom is on the 2/22 sailing, which is a replacement for the sailing she had booked for January but was cancelled due to the drydock. I actually almost booked yesterday and was going to surprise her but all the details didn't fall into place.

Hopefully, they will be able to fix whatever the issue is and you and everyone else has a wonderful trip.:)

This is incorrect. Its a Western Schedule this week and then Eastern from the 8th to the 15th.

OOPS. The question about Coco Cay yesterday and today being a sea day threw me off. If FOS was in CC yesterday and at sea today, then they modified the itinerary because of the prop issue. :o

A normal Western is sea day, Labadee, Falmouth, Georgetown, Cozumel, sea day

Limping around the Caribbean would be just fine for me! I really dont care where we go :) Just hoping for no cancellations. I remember what they did to the January 2015 sailings and the truth is, if they cant get her fixed up during the port stops, a drydock will most certainly be mandatory I would think?

I am going to go with what the poster who is onboard said, and that was they are 90% sure they can do the necessary fixes while in port. I don't know about everyone else - but 90% sounds like pretty good odds to me :)

What will be, will be. I'd rather be limping around the Caribbean with a fantastic future cruise credit, than sitting in Toronto watching the snow fall.

Now that is a four letter word! I live just outside Boston and we have had more than 50 inches of snow in the last week. Maybe you will get lucky and only get a little since it left most of it down here.;):D

OOPS. The question about Coco Cay yesterday and today being a sea day threw me off. If FOS was in CC yesterday and at sea today, then they modified the itinerary because of the prop issue. :o

A normal Western is sea day, Labadee, Falmouth, Georgetown, Cozumel, sea day

This was always its itinerary, I had seen it online when I was booking my cruise for next week. For some reason they were doing CC instead of Labadee.

Edited by queenschick9b

I am going to go with what the poster who is onboard said, and that was they are 90% sure they can do the necessary fixes while in port. I don't know about everyone else - but 90% sounds like pretty good odds to me :)

Yes! Thats very good odds :) Like I said, please RCI, just dont cancel my cruise :D:o

I would not care one bit if we limped around the Caribbean for 7 nights, just made a stop or two and got a cruise credit. That would pay off my 2016 cruise and give me some money back! :D

This was always its itinerary, I had seen it online when I was booking my cruise for next week. For some reason they were doing CC instead of Labadee.

If that's the case, then IMO they hedged their bets that everything would work properly when she came out of dry dock, and scheduled the modified itinerary to provide them a cushion in case they still had any lingering issues. Good bet on their part;)

Maybe they should have done a sea trial instead of taking her on a joy ride for VIP's. Just saying. :banghead:

That would not change anything. They would still have a problem and no time to fix it.

I was on the Enchantment in February & March 2012. The Enchantment developed a problem which affected three cruises. The problem was fixed during an extended stay at Port Canaveral during the third cruise.

The first cruise got eight out of their nine days and a full refund. I was on the next cruise. We got all twelve days, extended time at some of the ports and only missed Labadee. The third cruise hit all their port, but in a different order so that the extended time (over 24 hours) could be arranged in Port Canaveral. The problem was fixed and the next cruise went off as scheduled.

I agree - I don't care if I miss every port - I've been to St. Thomas and St. Marteen more times than I can count. I just don't want to be stuck in FL (even though, if that is what happened, I would make the most of it - maybe take my rental car to Key West if I couldn't get on another ship :))

Don't get me wrong, big fan of FOS and PC in general. I've been on her 8 times with 6 booked. It just seems that these past couple of inaugural/refurbs have not gone well. More bad press than good. I still think with all the negative press this winter, delays and cancellations, they could have used those extra two days for more testing. ;)

I think the 2 day went fantastically. Everyone enjoyed themselves and will be talking about Freedom and Royal in a good light to family, friends and clients. I wonder if your own negativity is influencing your posting?

The cruise for this week:

P.C Feb 1

Coco

@sea

Falmouth

Georgetown

Cozumel

@sea

P.C Feb 8

It's slightly different, but has been changed far in advance, so for people booked on this cruise nothing has changed, They knew theyw ere getting Coco i.s.o. Labadee.

As others have mentioned, we are on the western route and Coco Cay was on the original itinerary. I love both Labadee and Coco Cay, so I'm happy with either.

Don't go flooding RCI with phone call questions about whats going on. Anyone you get on the phone, probably won't know. I personally think the Captain and Chief Engineer were very honest and open today. I will let you know if I find out any additional info. They have not changed any ports or times as of this afternoon. I'll let you know if we're going to be late getting back to Port Canaveral. I booked an 1100 flight, based on my self disembarkation in August.

I don't think they knew the problem until investigating it this week. The ship is perfectly safe and had no problems maneuvering at Port Canaveral.

The WiFi onboard is really poor compared to my last trip on Freedom.