Flying into San Juan day of Cruise

Does anyone have any experience flying into San Juan on the day of a cruise? Next April I am going on the Adventure of the Seas, but something has come up forcing me to now fly in the day of the cruise. The flight I am looking at gets into San Juan at 1:30 (if everything goes smoothly). I am a bit worried because I have always fly in the day before.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Does anyone have any experience flying into San Juan on the day of a cruise? Next April I am going on the Adventure of the Seas, but something has come up forcing me to now fly in the day of the cruise. The flight I am looking at gets into San Juan at 1:30 (if everything goes smoothly). I am a bit worried because I have always fly in the day before.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

If you are on a direct flight, you have a better chance of not having a problem. If you have a connection, make a list of all possible alternatives that leave from the airport where your connection is, just in case there is a problem. Since you leave San Juan so late in the day, and we're talking April not February (when weather could be a concern), you should be fine, but I feel your pain.

Even when I sail out of Miami, which is only a 4 hour drive for us, we always go down the day ahead. You never know, the car could break down.

The only time we ever came close to missing a cruise was flying into San Juan in April. We had a connection in Dallas and due to severe thunderstorms we were delayed by almost 6 hours. Our plane eventually landed in San Juan at the time the ship was scheduled to depart. The only thing that saved our trip was the fact that there were over 30 people on our flight who had booked the flight via the cruise line. They held the ship for us, but people on a couple of other flights that arrived even later were not so lucky. Since then, we've always flown in at least one day ahead.

You can improve your odds of making the departure by booking through RCI and trying to get a non-stop flight. Hope it works out for you!

I am flying into San Juan next May on the day of my cruise. I booked the first direct flight out of Philly and im keeping my fingers crossed. The ship doesnt leave till 8pm so all SHOULD be fine but you never know. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

I suspect you know you're pushing your luck by arriving the day of the cruise. I'd suggest that if you're the type who can handle that type of risk, you'll be fine. the odds are in your favor after all.

I know, we have a cruise leaving from SJ, and we're arriving two days early. I'd rather start a vacation stress free.

Enjoy your cruise.

I'm doing the same thing in a couple of weeks. Non stop from Ft. Lauderdale and our flight doesn't leave until 1:20 or so. I'm going to try to change the flight the morning of our departure to get an earlier one, but right now if I change it will cost me more than I paid round trip just for the change fee. Gonna have to take my chances if I can't work out a change.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Dr. roastbeef I will be on this sailing also i will keep the beers cold for you just incase

Honestly, it doesn't matter how many times others have or have not done it successfully as the sample size of those answers is too small to draw conclusions. The fact is, it is a risk. You can do your best to mitigate the risk (book through RCI, book a direct flight), and you can prepare for contingencies (evaluate other possible flights from your city if yours is cancelled or delayed, evaluate the possibility of getting to your first port of call if you miss the ship). Beyond that, if you have no choice you can keep your fingers crossed :). Our first few cruises we did that before we learned to go in a day early (if at all possible, I know sometimes it is not). We had one situation where we booked through the cruise line and as we are from Chicago and as there were a lot of us on the flights from Chicago, they held the ship even though several flight were late and we got there past sailing time. It was one heck of a stressful experience but we did make it. Some ports are not able to do that, but sometimes they can in San Juan.

I suspect you know you're pushing your luck by arriving the day of the cruise. I'd suggest that if you're the type who can handle that type of risk, you'll be fine. the odds are in your favor after all.

I know, we have a cruise leaving from SJ, and we're arriving two days early. I'd rather start a vacation stress free.

Enjoy your cruise.

And I can always find something to do in San Juan!

Lots of experienced cruisers with excellent ideas.

Is it possible to fly into Florida the night before and the layover to San Juan? Another point, the first flight of the day is least likely to be impacted by weather.

Just because you fly in the day before it does not guarantee you will get there on time. Planes are so full these days it could take 2-3 days to book other flights. Probably 150-300 people with you on that plane to San Juan, lots of people to find seats for! After all you don't have the option to drive to San Juan. It's always great to have a cushion, but chances are nothing at all goes wrong.

When you fill out your RCI travel documents they ask you for flight information. I don't believe it's strictly Choice Air. Somewhere in the background RCI is monitoring flight numbers for the entire ship.

Enjoy Your Cruise.

Does anyone have any experience flying into San Juan on the day of a cruise?

In '09 a group of us did a cruise out of San Juan. My BF and I flew down 2 days early... no problems. A few others flew down a day early...no problems. 3 remaining couples were booked to fly down the day of the cruise, out of Charleston. 2 couples on airline #1 (I think it was Delta but not positive), 1 couple on Air Tran. All had a connection, since you can't flight nonstop from CHS to SJU. 3rd couple had no issues, all flights went as scheduled.

BUT... the other 2 couples checked online the evening before and discovered their first leg was cancelled! If I recall correctly, the airline preemptively cancelled the flight due to anticipated weather. The couples were upset because their friends' Air Tran flight wasn't cancelled but theirs was. No notice from the airline, they just happened to find out because they logged on to check their seat assignments or check in.

Anyway, the next flight out of CHS to the connecting airport that had seats available would not have been in time to make the flight to SJU, meaning they would miss the cruise. They were on the phone with the airline for quite a while trying to sort out options. The airline finally was able to endorse their tickets over to US Air for a flight out of Charlotte to SJU, but there were no seats on a connecting flight TO Charlotte. End result: They had to scramble the evening before to get all their stuff together (thankfully the grandparents who were keeping the kids during the cruise had already arrived in town!), drive to Charlotte (3 hours) that evening, and find and pay for hotel rooms, in order to be in Charlotte early enough the next morning to board the CLT-SJU flight.

They made the cruise, but said that day "We will never again book tickets to fly in the day of the cruise."

For me, it's a perfect example of what can happen. I don't remember what the weather situation was, but it was one of those subjective things where one airline chose to cancel a flight and another did not. That happens, and it seems unfair, but it happens and you can't do anything about it. It could just as easily have been a mechanical issue, or a crew issue. Furthermore, the fact that it was weather related means the airline has no obligation to endorse their tickets over to another airline so they were VERY lucky that that is what happened in the end. Typically in that situation, they'd have been stuck paying for those last minute CLT-SJU tickets themselves, as well as likely paying a change fee for their original reservation (and likely a hefty fare difference) to turn it into a one way ticket for the flight home.

Another vote for flying in the day before the cruise.

Only tried in once flying in the day of the cruise - would not do it again.

We had problems several years ago when severe thunderstorms delayed our flights. We were delayed leaving Chicago because of mechanical problems, then delayed landing because of thunderstorms in Miami. The flight had made up the time and we were pretty close to landing on time in Miami - thunderstorms had us circling for quite a while We had a one-hour connection time - because of slow de-planing and our delayed landing we missed the connection - which left exactly on time.

Problem was the next flights were all full. We were flying American and they tried very hard to get us a connection. We were flying on frequent flyer miles (had million mile flyer status with the airline). I think having this status helped - they got us on standby on another flight and we made San Juan.

We made it to San Juan - had sailed out of there previously - knew the airport, baggage claim, taxi stand, etc. and got to the ship on time, but it was very stressful.

Would never do it that way again! Even booking through the cruise line and hoping they would hold the ship it would be just too much!

Cruises from San Juan usually depart in the evening, so same-day flights usually work just fine but not always.

August 2011 hurricane Irene caused the port authority in San Juan to close the port and forced all cruise ships to leave early (around 4:00 pm). Many passengers arrived at the pier to find their ship gone. This was a very unusual situation but caused great hardship for those stranded passengers. Interestingly, Royal Caribbean only took care of passengers with insurance; Carnival took care of all its passengers. I usually sail RC (I am D+) but I thought carnival handled that situation better.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have done it twice, once from Baltimore the second time from Philly. Never really thought much about it, never had a problem. Stayed at an airport hotel and got the first flight out. Since it is in April you won't have to worry about snow. Possibly thunderstorms though.

We have taken 5 cruises out of San Juan and flew in the day of all of them except one. The 4 times we flew in the day of the cruise was not during hurricane season so we took the chance. But also living in Florida we are able to get direct flights fairly easy. If we had connections we would fly the day before.

Ditto. I have taken a number of cruises out of SJU( mostly in december) and flown in the day of the cruise, arriving around 3pm and still making it. Cruises out of SJ tend to leave LATE ~10pm ;but I have seen RCCL delay it to almost 1am to give every plane the chance to get in. So I wouldn't worry about your 1pm arrival

Ditto. I have taken a number of cruises out of SJU( mostly in december) and flown in the day of the cruise, arriving around 3pm and still making it. Cruises out of SJ tend to leave LATE ~10pm ;but I have seen RCCL delay it to almost 1am to give every plane the chance to get in. So I wouldn't worry about your 1pm arrival

They leave closer to 8 pm and muster is at 6ish. At least on my AOS cruises. I think all aboard is much earlier maybe around 5, but not sure on that one.

I do not know where the OP is flying from, but we always get in a day or two before, but I'm coming from Montana and there are no direct flights. ;)

Not sure where the OP is flying from, which definitely makes a difference. For the record, this year we had snow in the north suburbs of Chicago in mid-May (that is not a typo). Snowfall amounts of any significance were as late as mid-April. Unusual yes, impossible no. It also matters as to how many potential other options there are. From Chicago, surprisingly enough not as many as you would think. From Florida, probably a lot more. If I were flying all the way to SJU and could only fly in the day of, I would definitely buy insurance for that trip. I don't know what time this ship leaves, but I have been on other sailings out of SJU on a different cruise line where we sailed as early as 4:30. Later sailings do mitigate the risk a bit.

Enjoy your cruise.

It is wonderful for those that can add two days to their vacation or even one to arrive so early for the departure of a cruise.

PLENTY of people don't have that luxury.....and it is a luxury. It isn't that people are the 'type that can handle the risk' it is that they don't have the luxury of either taking two additional days off from work or the ADDED expenses of being in a hotel with meals for extra days.

It is wonderful for those that can....but not everyone can.

We cruised out of San Juan when we went on Jewel in July 2013. We took the very first flight out of S. Florida that we could, and arrived in San Juan by 10:30am. Had transfers to the ship through Royal and was on board around noon.

Did we like to get up to get to the airport by 6am, no....but we did not have the ability to leave on Friday or Thursday.....it was how we had to do it, we napped on the plane....and we did not book our airfare through Royal....we did it on our own.

Edited by Paulette3028

It is wonderful for those that can add two days to their vacation or even one to arrive so early for the departure of a cruise.

PLENTY of people don't have that luxury.....and it is a luxury. It isn't that people are the 'type that can handle the risk' it is that they don't have the luxury of either taking two additional days off from work or the ADDED expenses of being in a hotel with meals for extra days.

It is wonderful for those that can....but not everyone can.

We cruised out of San Juan when we went on Jewel in July 2013. We took the very first flight out of S. Florida that we could, and arrived in San Juan by 10:30am. Had transfers to the ship through Royal and was on board around noon.

Did we like to get up to get to the airport by 6am, no....but we did not have the ability to leave on Friday or Thursday.....it was how we had to do it, we napped on the plane....and we did not book our airfare through Royal....we did it on our own.

Talk about luxury...if we lived in Florida I would do the same as you. Living in Utah (we always Cruise March/April time frame) we would never fly out the day of our Cruise. Not even to San Juan. Way too risky and stressful. Vacation time and hotels are all figured in as part of the cost of the Cruise.

Edited by davekathy

Talk about luxury...if we lived in Florida I would do the same as you. Living in Utah (we always Cruise March/April time frame) we would never fly out the day of our Cruise. Not even to San Juan. Way too risky and stressful. Vacation time and hotels are all figured in as part of the cost of the Cruise.

What assumption are you making.....about the luxury in our life, just because our address is S. Florida. We are not retired, both DH and I work. We have to stretch out our vacation days, just like other people do.

We don't have unlimited time off from work nor are we independently wealthy, to be able to take days off without being paid.

And yes for you, you have to make different choices than I have to make....but it is about CHOICES.

I can't cruise in March or April, which would be nicer for me, but other family obligations occur then. In the summer, we have to be concerned with the challenges hurricanes can bring...NO ONE has it easy....when it comes to their choices.