New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

9 hours ago, islandwoman said:

How do most people dress on these nights?  Are they still called "formal" nights?

They haven't been called 'formal nights' in years. They were downgraded to 'Gala', and now to 'Dressy', in the terms used, but HAL still encourages dressing up in the descriptive language. 

Most people do not dress up very much. You will still see some formal wear, more cocktail wear, a few suits and a few more sport coats on men. 
A lot of people wear a smart casual outfit, and a few don't bother to change out of their daywear. There will also be a smattering of 'what were they thinking?' outfits (if you can call them outfits). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'm curious as well - I finally gave my tux to Goodwill after not wearing it for nearly 10 years. I have not worn a jacket in nearly that long as well (Celebrity, NCL, Carnival, Royal), and I'd have to go to YouTube to learn how to tie a tie !  😉

Tom

That is so sad. 

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

That is so sad. 

It's bittersweet actually!

While we still dress very nicely each evening, it's been sad watching the general decline with so many t-shirts and shorts in so many dining venues.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

While we still dress very nicely each evening, it's been sad watching the general decline with so many t-shirts and shorts in so many dining venues.

I think it sad that a man doesn't know how to tie a tie. In every life there are times a tie is de rigeur

36 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Those of us who have problems packing formal wear into our airline checked bags appreciate not having to dress up.  For those of you who prefer that you and your fellow passengers dress more formerly, there are other cruise lines, such as Cunard where you might be happier.

7 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'm curious as well - I finally gave my tux to Goodwill after not wearing it for nearly 10 years. I have not worn a jacket in nearly that long as well (Celebrity, NCL, Carnival, Royal), and I'd have to go to YouTube to learn how to tie a tie !  😉

Tom

I got rid of all of my suits and one tux over 10 years ago, I have one sport coat for funerals and other than that it doesn't come out of my closet.  Do not listen to some of the "Traditionalist" in this forum who would love seeing us dress like back in the 1990's., You do not have any need to wear a coat or tie any night on any HAL cruise. Dressy night for me means I wear a button up shirt and long pants or golf slacks. My button up shirt will most likely be a Tommy Bahama print or Hawaiian style shirt. On all other nights I wear polo or golf shirts with a collar and long kaki style pants that are very comfortable. I never wear shorts or a T shirt like some try to get away with. BTW what I wear meets the same dress standards for Celebrity and Oceania out other cruise lines we cruise with.

• Like 6

Last time we sailed was in 2019 and are have booked on a Europe cruise on the Oosterdam in September of 2024. Our last cruise in 2019 was with HAL and I don't recall if there was a formal night. Is there one and how strict are they on the type of clothing?

1 hour ago, HMSDingy said:

Last time we sailed was in 2019 and are have booked on a Europe cruise on the Oosterdam in September of 2024. Our last cruise in 2019 was with HAL and I don't recall if there was a formal night. Is there one and how strict are they on the type of clothing?

Unless it is a grand voyage there are no longer formal nights instead it is dressy night.  Collared shirt and slacks for men, blouse and skirt or slacks for women 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Unless it is a grand voyage there are no longer formal nights instead it is dressy night.  Collared shirt and slacks for men, blouse and skirt or slacks for women 

We're doing the Grand South America in October.  What will the dress be like for that?  What about if we eat in the Lido for some of the evening meals?

10 minutes ago, crusin'k said:

We're doing the Grand South America in October.  What will the dress be like for that?  What about if we eat in the Lido for some of the evening meals?

During the formal nights there were people in relaxed tuxes and very dressy cocktail dresses.  I saw no evening gowns or formal tuxes.  But there were also many simply in a typical dressy night outfit.  The rule only applies to the MDR

• Like 1

In two weeks we will be on Cunard's Queen Elizabeth where formal is referred to as Gala Evenings . As I understand it's only recently that dark business suits were allowed instead of tuxedos or morning suits (with or without tails ).

This will be different but we are looking forward to it . I mostly stay out of the MDR clothing wars except to say I don't care what others wear.

tux.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/11/2023 at 4:51 PM, RuthC said:

That is so sad. 

I also have not worn my tux in close to 10 years.  It was a special time when most men were wearing tuxes or dark suits.  Enjoyed  wearing my tux with the ladies deck out too.  I am keeping my tux, vests, and bow ties.  I can still fit into them, so you never know....

Pre pandemic, I did start taking a sports jacket to wear, but now I do not even bring that. I wear camp shirts, chinos and if that is not good enough, I will just eat elsewhere.  Have not been told they were a problem.

I have my memories! 🙂

• Like 2

On 7/11/2023 at 10:10 PM, terrydtx said:

I got rid of all of my suits and one tux over 10 years ago, I have one sport coat for funerals and other than that it doesn't come out of my closet.  Do not listen to some of the "Traditionalist" in this forum who would love seeing us dress like back in the 1990's., You do not have any need to wear a coat or tie any night on any HAL cruise. Dressy night for me means I wear a button up shirt and long pants or golf slacks. My button up shirt will most likely be a Tommy Bahama print or Hawaiian style shirt. On all other nights I wear polo or golf shirts with a collar and long kaki style pants that are very comfortable. I never wear shorts or a T shirt like some try to get away with. BTW what I wear meets the same dress standards for Celebrity and Oceania out other cruise lines we cruise with.

I am with you on the Tommy Bahama camp shirt, both styles, but I wear Tommy Bahama Hawaiian style every night with chinos /stone colored.  IT makes what to wear decisions easier.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

I am with you on the Tommy Bahama camp shirt, both styles, but I wear Tommy Bahama Hawaiian style every night with chinos /stone colored.  IT makes what to wear decisions easier.

I have worn my TB shirts on some non dressy nights as well, but what I wear and what you describe meets the suggested dress code 100% for all nights on any cruise line we cruise, HAL, Celebrity and Oceania. In colder climate cruises like Alaska and South America I will even wear my nice non-torn black designer jeans.  I have not once in 20+ years of cruising been told to change what I was wearing to enter eany MDR.

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

...I have not once in 20+ years of cruising been told to change what I was wearing to enter eany MDR.

Probably 15+ years ago we were on Celebrity (Century?) and had reservations in Ocean Liners. I had checked as to the dress code pre-cruise and confirmed that a jacket was not required. They appeared shocked when I arrived for dinner (smartly dressed, sans jacket). I explained that I had gone to the trouble ahead of time to contact corporate and confirmed that a jacket was not required. They insisted on putting one on the chair back... 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/9/2023 at 5:41 PM, afdds said:

New to HAL. Never been to Alaska.  Trying to make some Alaska decisions. Pros and Cons of Vancouver vs Seattle Round trip?   We are from Texas, so I’m assuming flying into Seattle would be cheaper.  Has anyone taken the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver?   If you fly into Vancouver, what airline did you use.  Not really interested in having HAL book our airfare. Thanks for the help.

I would not choose based on air, but itinerary.  I think a Seattle round trip is inferior to a Vancouver one way. You spend more time sailing, less time seeing the great views with the round trip.  Also, make sure the itinerary has Glacier Bay. The Seattle round trips tend not too.  You will see MUCH more with a one way.

As to air, you can easily search with Google flights to determine your options. You don't need to book through it though.

Also plan to arrive one day before. Airline delays and cancellations are too frequent nowadays and you don't want to miss the departure.

Edited by Gretchendz
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gretchendz said:

...Also, make sure the itinerary has Glacier Bay. The Seattle round trips tend not too.  You will see MUCH more with a one way...

Agree you see more on the one way itineraries; however, every RT Seattle Inside passage cruise we do always includes Glacier Bay. We most recently did it this year April 29 - May 6 Eurodam. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Agree you see more on the one way itineraries; however, every RT Seattle Inside passage cruise we do always includes Glacier Bay. We most recently did it this year April 29 - May 6 Eurodam. 

Thank you guys for all the help.  We decided to do the Seattle RD trip because I'm hoping to get the SW companion pass into Seattle.  Also if we enjoy the cruise, next time I want to book the one way with extra few days in the interior of Alaska.  HAL has so many different ones.  Booked on the Eurodam in July 20204

• Like 1

Travel agent? We're new to Holland America but not to cruising. When we booked with Disney and a Carnival we used travel agents specific to those cruise lines. For Holland, is it best to use one of their agents? On board credit is nice but I also don't want to ever have to hassle with calling Holland America direct if there is an issue. I also want to get the best deal and have insider tips since we're new to Holland America. Any advice is appreciated! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, afdds said:

Thank you guys for all the help.  We decided to do the Seattle RD trip because I'm hoping to get the SW companion pass into Seattle.  Also if we enjoy the cruise, next time I want to book the one way with extra few days in the interior of Alaska.  HAL has so many different ones.  Booked on the Eurodam in July 20204

Congrats on your selection and welcome to HAL!

We hope to read a Live review from you next July. No such thing as too much Alaska!

Encourage you to browse these threads between now and next summer; there's a lot of experience w/good tips that I think will help make a great cruise even better. I pick up something new before every cruise.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

Here's a link to the Live review from Eurodam I did a couple months ago. Should give you a glimpse into the ports and  awesome Glacier Bay:

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 1

First time cruisers on the upcoming Niew Statendam trip to the Norway Fjords in August: 

1) Tips: I keep reading that we need to tip our steward, room service, and others. How much is appropriate? What type of currency should we have on hand (Euro, DKK, USD, NOK...?) How often and when? When is something covered by the gratuity that we pay for the end and when do we use cash?

2) What electrical plugs adapter do we need on the ship? European? British?

3) Is there a safe in our room for placing our passport etc.

4) The ship arrives at 7:00 AM on Aug 9. How quickly can we expect to disembark? I have a business meeting that morning in Copenhagen.

5) Is there self-service laundry on board? If so, do they supply soap?

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I searched and could not find it easily. TIA

Edited by LivetoTravel88
clarification