New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

We did 14-nights on Noordam in Australia / NZ last year, and while they had daily trivia somewhere most days, they didn't have progressive (team points add up over the cruise to name an overall list of winners for the cruise) trivia. 

Does HAL ever do progressive trivia or not really a thing?

33 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

We did 14-nights on Noordam in Australia / NZ last year, and while they had daily trivia somewhere most days, they didn't have progressive (team points add up over the cruise to name an overall list of winners for the cruise) trivia. 

No, not really.

6 hours ago, pghflyer said:

HAL has tried to reduce the hyper competitiveness that can occur with trivia.  On my last cruise they had self grading and no prizes except for small give aways which were given freely, first to the team who claimed to have won then if left overs to anyone who wanted one.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

HAL has tried to reduce the hyper competitiveness that can occur with trivia.  On my last cruise they had self grading and no prizes except for small give aways which were given freely, first to the team who claimed to have won then if left overs to anyone who wanted one.   

I guess that's fine. When people start cheating and arguing results, you know things have gotten out of control. Dialing back the crazy is a good idea but I recognize it's a loss for people who enjoyed the competition.

• Like 2

1st time HAL cruiser.  We will be on the Eurodam next month.  Question about room service and the HIA package.  I do not function without copious amounts of coffee in the am.  If i order a pot of coffee from room service in the morning, will the cost be covered by my HIA package?  

Thanks in advance.  

2 minutes ago, JMB1969 said:

1st time HAL cruiser.  We will be on the Eurodam next month.  Question about room service and the HIA package.  I do not function without copious amounts of coffee in the am.  If i order a pot of coffee from room service in the morning, will the cost be covered by my HIA package?  

Thanks in advance.  

Room service is free, including coffee. There's a few menu items that have a cost. You can order off a card before bed and a time you want it delivered, and hang it outside your door. Viola!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Room service is free, including coffee. There's a few menu items that have a cost. You can order off a card before bed and a time you want it delivered, and hang it outside your door. Viola!!

Thank you!  

5 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Also, if you are wanting "copious" amounts of coffee, write "2 POTS" on your card.

LOL.  good tip!  It's one of the 5 basic food groups for me.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JMB1969 said:

LOL.  good tip!  It's one of the 5 basic food groups for me.  

Just to clarify - regular coffee is no charge, but cappuccino, lattes and other "fancy" coffees are not. 2 pots of cappuccino sounds like heaven, lol!

58 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Just to clarify - regular coffee is no charge, but cappuccino, lattes and other "fancy" coffees are not. 2 pots of cappuccino sounds like heaven, lol!

Thanks for clarifying.  It's regular coffee in the am.  I save the latte foir the afternoons.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JMB1969 said:

Thanks for clarifying.  It's regular coffee in the am.  I save the latte foir the afternoons.  

On a Room Service note, the Room Service kitchen on HAL ships is located in the aft section of the ship, hot food will lose its temperature the farther forward it must be delivered and the number of stops made enroute.

Since coffee is available 24/7 in the Lido Market, filling a good thermos bottle with hot coffee before you retire for the evening will ensure that copious amounts of hot coffee are available as soon as you open your eyes.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Does HAL charge passengers who visit the infirmary with stomach type symptoms? I just read a long thread elsewhere that some cruise lines don’t charge when treating stomach issues order to encourage passengers to report norovirus so they can keep track of spread, arrange quarantines, etc.  Other lines charge an arm and a leg, even for treating simple nausea or seasickness. 

I would hope all passengers would report their norovirus type symptoms and seek treatment if they need it, but I fear some might be held back if they don’t have proper insurance. 

Wondering where does HAL fall on this issue? We are checked in for our first cruise next month and I didn’t notice any information but I maybe I missed it. 

Edited by Ileneilene123

On 6/3/2024 at 1:21 PM, Cruise Suzy said:

The MDR entrance for Any Time Dining is on Deck 2. (Sometimes if there is room, you may then be led to a table on Deck 3 which is for Fixed Dining. But you still enter on Deck 2.)

Only 50% of the Deck 2 tables are available to be reserved. This can be done by going to one of the podiums for Specialty Dining on embarkation day. They are normally near the Pinnacle Dining Room on Deck 2 and on Deck 9 between the Lido Pool and the entrance to the Spa. You could also reserve by calling Dining Services once onboard or talking with the MDR maître d. Some cruises will allow you to book a time only for the next three nights, some for the entire cruise, some only for that evening.

Thanks for the info. My confirmation states I have Open Seating, which I assume is the same as Any Time Dining. The choices above to make a reservation don't include the Navigator app. Are you able to make reservations using the app? I have tried (I am sailing in 27 days) and can't find where to do it (so maybe you can't). Or maybe I need to be closer to sailing or onboard. Is there a way or should I stop trying??? Thanks!

1 hour ago, jjt said:

Thanks for the info. My confirmation states I have Open Seating, which I assume is the same as Any Time Dining. The choices above to make a reservation don't include the Navigator app. Are you able to make reservations using the app? I have tried (I am sailing in 27 days) and can't find where to do it (so maybe you can't). Or maybe I need to be closer to sailing or onboard. Is there a way or should I stop trying??? Thanks!

Yes, Open Seating is the same as Any Time Dining. Any Time Dining Reservations have to be made onboard, as far as I know. For a few months in 2022, it could be done pre-cruise, but they stopped doing that.

1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Yes, Open Seating is the same as Any Time Dining. Any Time Dining Reservations have to be made onboard, as far as I know. For a few months in 2022, it could be done pre-cruise, but they stopped doing that.

I believe you are correct the any time dinning reservations have to be made onboard. That is why we always add Club Orange as we get priority seating in the MDR for ATD.

I was just reading on another cruise board that in Alaska, when in Juneau, maybe others that a sales and alcohol tax will be added, we are going in Sept. and have the drink package, will the tax be included or is that extra per drink?

8 hours ago, lb0103 said:

I was just reading on another cruise board that in Alaska, when in Juneau, maybe others that a sales and alcohol tax will be added, we are going in Sept. and have the drink package, will the tax be included or is that extra per drink?

In many ports, not just Alaska, local tax is added. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I received an email from Azamara the other day, saying that they will be including taxes and fees in the cruise fare quotes.  And Princess. 

Will Holland America be doing the same? 

Edited by islandwoman

20 hours ago, islandwoman said:

I received an email from Azamara the other day, saying that they will be including taxes and fees in the cruise fare quotes.  And Princess. 

Will Holland America be doing the same? 

I received emails from Princess & Oceana a couple days ago saying same thing. Says it's to comply with a new CA pricing transparency law, so I assume the others will follow.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I received emails from Princess & Oceana a couple days ago saying same thing. Says it's to comply with a new CA pricing transparency law, so I assume the others will follow.

We ran into the same thing in Australia and New Zealand in January on the Celebrity Edge. The drink pricing onboard had to include taxes and gratuities to comply with local laws. This raised drink prices by a few dollars a drink on the ship. The cruise fares quoted for Aussies booking, had to also include all taxes and gratuities in the fare. It was nice on land too as the price you saw in stores and restaurant menus was the price paid when you checked out.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2023 at 3:27 AM, Blackduck59 said:

I'm not sure this is true. The rules are different for different situations. I think the question comes from an Alaska resident, I assume an American. So if he's flying within the US no passport is required. Also not all destinations have the 6 month requirement.

Being Canadian I'm not sure of the "rules" for Americans on "closed loop" cruises. One thing is certain the renewal won't be "expedited" by next week and a valid passport with a short expiry is better than no passport at all.

I would suggest that @akcruiser21 should get in touch with the appropriate agencies to get something more than our opinions from CC.

Searching for an answer specifically…US CITIZEN  PASSPORT VALIDITY ENDS

2 Jan 2025.  Booked 30 Oct 2024 Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale. Arrive FLL on Nov 14. I know that’s ok according to the US GOVT., but will HAL let us board in Barcelona?

I’m asking because we are living in France and getting our renewals via the US CONSULATE in Paris is a bit more complicated than waiting til we get back to Md. 
(I also worry that if we send our passports to Paris and some emergency comes up, we’ll get stuck in red tape).

i welcome all informed replies: thank you.

susan

6 minutes ago, MaisonRose said:

Searching for an answer specifically…US CITIZEN  PASSPORT VALIDITY ENDS

2 Jan 2025.  Booked 30 Oct 2024 Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale. Arrive FLL on Nov 14. I know that’s ok according to the US GOVT., but will HAL let us board in Barcelona?

I’m asking because we are living in France and getting our renewals via the US CONSULATE in Paris is a bit more complicated than waiting til we get back to Md. 
(I also worry that if we send our passports to Paris and some emergency comes up, we’ll get stuck in red tape).

i welcome all informed replies: thank you.

susan

Here is the official statement at Holland America

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/faq/cruise-planning/identification-passports-visa/do-i-need-a-passport

You are within the period that you can renew 

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F21091?lang=en

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Thank you for that link. I’m not sure that I need to deal with the French gov since it’s US PASSPORT but I did read the HAL details which recommends a six month validity (it does not say require). Perhaps I’m overthinking this but I sure don’t want to be denied boarding.