Interrupted tours my made up name, read on..

Twende

We just returned from a cruise visiting the ports of Cozumel and Grand Caymans. I enjoyed both ports very much and felt that I needed more time to really enjoy either one.

Is the following possible?

Board cruise ship #1 from Tampa for a five day cruise and disembark at say Cozumel (day 3). Rent a home on the ocean for 5 days or so then return to the port to embark on cruise ship #2 who has come to Cozumel on its day 3. Return to departure port Tampa with this ship.

Would the cruise lines allow this? Would they charge you for one or two cruises?

Anyone with any knowledge? Thanks!

While it is feasible you would need advance permission from both the cruise line and the local officials from the port of call at which you intend to remain. It is somewhat of a paperwork process for both to do which involves customs and the cruise line in particular may resist, but it can be done. It also has become more difficult post 911. But as mentioned you would also have to pay for two full cruises - the one that brings you there and the one that picks you up.

We met a couple on one of our Southern Caribbean cruises years ago who happened to be at our dinner table who did just that. They boarded cruise 1 in San Juan and departed in Barbados where they stayed for a week and then boarded cruise 2 the following week from Barbados and returned to San Juan.

Our first cruise together in 1981 was something very similar, with a one week stay in a villa in Jamaica sandwiched in the middle of the cruise; about 25 couples participated. Unfortunately, the cruise lines quit marketing trips this way shortly after that, so you'd need to make special arrangements in advance, and probably pay full price for both cruises.

It was allowed as described in my prior post.

Some itins out of Barbados are setup with two embarkation days.

This two embarkation schedule is what caused some problems on the Concordia in Italy.

OP- it'd probably be cheaper to fly to Cozumel.

Back in the 80's Cunard Countess did allow this. You got on the ship in San Juan, cruised for a couple of days, I forget which island you could get off and stay for 2 weeks until the ship returned to pick you up. At that time the Cunard Countess did 2 different itineraries thus you had to wait for the ship to return 2 weeks later. They allowed only so many people to do this.

Now with all the customs and immigration, this has to be planned months in advance and all fees paid for this. You will have to pay for both of the entire cruises.

Don't forget also, that cruise ships can and do change itinerary with no advance notice for weather, problems with a ship, problems at a port. You would run the risk, though probably slight, that the ship you were planning to come back on would not actually make it to where you are.

As Bethco said, cruise line can't guarantee that a ship will make it to a specific port. We missed one port earlier this month due to Tropical Storm Bertha. The only time I'd consider doing what the OP is suggesting is doing a full cruise to a port--such as one-way from Vancouver to Alaska, touring on our own in Alaska, then another one-way cruise back to Vancouver.

Edited by geoherb

Thanks for all the great replies! I so enjoyed my time. In Cozumel that I want to take DH there and spend some time. Bummer that the cruise lines are no longer doing this! It would be a great trip!

Edited by Twende

Don't forget also, that cruise ships can and do change itinerary with no advance notice for weather, problems with a ship, problems at a port. You would run the risk, though probably slight, that the ship you were planning to come back on would not actually make it to where you are.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

LuLu

I seem to remember that Mexico has some laws concerning staying behind from a cruise (that you didn't pay the entrance fee to stay there for more than a day, or something like that).

I would suggest that if someone wants to spend more time in a port that is available on cruises....just fly and do a land vacation at that place.

While it is feasible you would need advance permission from both the cruise line and the local officials from the port of call at which you intend to remain. It is somewhat of a paperwork process for both to do which involves customs and the cruise line in particular may resist, but it can be done. It also has become more difficult post 911. But as mentioned you would also have to pay for two full cruises - the one that brings you there and the one that picks you up.

We met a couple on one of our Southern Caribbean cruises years ago who happened to be at our dinner table who did just that. They boarded cruise 1 in San Juan and departed in Barbados where they stayed for a week and then boarded cruise 2 the following week from Barbados and returned to San Juan.

Except that many Southern Caribbean itineraries include passenger EMBARKATION in both San Juan and Barbados for return trips to each port. I'm not sure if it would have been as easily done at another stop that was only a "Port of Call" without the embarkation protocols in place.

And for the OP...why bother? Book a nice AI in Cozumel.

Edited by ronandannette

I do recall folks sailing to Bermuda, getting off, staying a week, and sailing back the following week. For the Bermuda cruise, the ship is docked for 3 (it used to be 4) days. They had to get off the day we docked and then could not board for the return sailing until the day the ship left, and they had to pay two full cruise rates.