NCL Reports It Has Agreed to Purchase PCH

rallydave

NOTHING WOULD CHANGE! COME ON THAT'S A DOWN RIGHT LIE---SOMETHINGS HAVE TO CHANGE. DON'T SEE HOW FDR CAN MAKE A STATEMENT LIKE THAT, PERIOD!

Rick

Come on, lets give this a chance. I can not believe that Mr. FDR would let the wonderful company that he helped build go down the drain.

Come on, lets give this a chance. I can not believe that Mr. FDR would let the wonderful company that he helped build go down the drain.

Most interesting that FDR only took a contract ending at the end of 2015. As long as he's with NCL he will probably try to keep his lines constant but when he leaves!! that's when the changes will start coming.

Interesting article. They're saying the right things, but hard to overlook the reference to the $100 Million in "synergies." I'd also be interested in others' reactions to the premise concerning the likelihood that the upscale Oceania and Regent demographic will choose Norwegian for family cruises. That seems to have been baked-into a lot of the deal rationales that Ive read, and just unsure how true that may be. If I had a bunch of grandchildren I wanted to treat to a cruise - and whom I didn't want to have to look after during the day - my thoughts would turn to Disney, but then I'm unfamiliar with the Norwegian product as it relates to cross-generational activities.

LOL, Did you notice that he didn't say that the hull paint wasn't garish?

Yes, and I said it's a bogus issue...a red herring...raised by posters who have nothing legitimate to complain about.

AIDA, which is part of the Carnival group has garish hull paint. Does that carry over into the hull paint designs used by Carnival on their other brands like Seabourn, or Cunard ?

New to Oceania, but was extremely happy with my first cruises on Nautica and Marina this past summer. This is my concern with the merger: how will or does NCL treat the staff?

I was surprised by how many Oceania staff renew their contracts to the point where they recognize former passengers by name. They seemed genuinely happy (mostly). We've gotten great service on other cruise lines, but the staff seemed overworked. In discussion with waiters and stewards, many had come from other lines. A waiter in London, after finding we had just been on a cruise, mentioned that he had 2 contracts with a cruise line, and said that it was well known that Oceania treated it's staff well, and was considered a choice assignment. Will current staff be uneasy with possible changes? Seems easy to believe since passengers are already voicing concern about possible changes. Will Oceania do what we have noticed on RCL cruises, and increase the work load of service staff?

I find it hard to believe the service is degrading on O ships already because of this. The deal is not even done yet and the present crew are all working under existing contracts. I have been on many NCL trips and the staff seems the same to me except there is less pp. The only other ship that I feel matches the style of O is Europa2 which is twice the price so I would say sit tight and stop convincing yourself the product has already gone down.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Edited by hypercafe

but then I'm unfamiliar with the Norwegian product as it relates to cross-generational activities.

The real rational for that is based on the suite product that Norwegian offers.

Their Haven concept and all that it brings could satisfy a senior cruiser that is used to the luxury of O or RSSC, while giving the grandkids a resort atmosphere outside the Haven.

Yes, and I said it's a bogus issue...a red herring...raised by posters who have nothing legitimate to complain about.

AIDA, which is part of the Carnival group has garish hull paint. Does that carry over into the hull paint designs used by Carnival on their other brands like Seabourn, or Cunard ?

To begin with, Garish livery is NOT a red herring if we are discussing taste levels

2NCL-Jade.jpg.....but I'm very sorry about the ugly baby, nontheless. ;)

Regarding the larger discussion, since you are knowledgeable enough to know that Carnival has left Seabourn unscathed, you must also know that the severe degradation of standards at other Carnival Brands such as Holland America, Princess and Costa, along with the passenger dissatisfaction that it caused, was key to the very creation of Oceania, Regent and the entire upper premium cruise market.

For that reason, they probably aren't your best example of how problems in one division needn't carry over into another....:o

Most interesting that FDR only took a contract ending at the end of 2015. As long as he's with NCL he will probably try to keep his lines constant but when he leaves!! that's when the changes will start coming.

This is typical of most M&A deals. Keep management for 1 year minimum so that there is an orderly transition. They key question is whether the Big Boss stays for more than one year.

It will be interesting if there are any objections to the acquisition by US and European authorities.

Well, after much thought and reading many posts and articles, I've decided to cancel two of my bookings next year, both VS grades and have transferred these to Silversea in a similar suite grade, for less than we would have to pay on "O" .

We won't have to worry about any loss of standards, cross-selling or any other "enhancements" that will occur once the deal is done. I travelled previously with Cunard and saw what Carnivalisation did to that once great line. Yes, they built the beautiful QM2, but standards have slipped. I don't care what the "regular" posters on here say about wait-and-see, that's my opinion, no need to comment......

However, I still have one booking left with O but that's purely for the unique itinerary so that booking will remain..... for now.

It's a sad day when I know that I may not be back on "O", it certainly won't be anything like it was. I'll miss the food, especially the lamb chops at breakfast and the Frech loaves made with the best flour in the world, but most of all I will miss the "family" that was Oceania. The founders of the company made it their own, a large corportaion like NCL cannot compete with that...

Having said all of the above, if standards don't slip and the status-quo remains with positive reviews, I may return, but it's like going back to the same hotel years later, it's never quite the same.... Tempus Fugit...

So long Mr. Sheehan, it's all yours!

Well, after much thought and reading many posts and articles, I've decided to cancel two of my bookings next year, both VS grades and have transferred these to Silversea in a similar suite grade, for less than we would have to pay on "O" .

We won't have to worry about any loss of standards, cross-selling or any other "enhancements" that will occur once the deal is done. I travelled previously with Cunard and saw what Carnivalisation did to that once great line. Yes, they built the beautiful QM2, but standards have slipped. I don't care what the "regular" posters on here say about wait-and-see, that's my opinion, no need to comment......

However, I still have one booking left with O but that's purely for the unique itinerary so that booking will remain..... for now.

It's a sad day when I know that I may not be back on "O", it certainly won't be anything like it was. I'll miss the food, especially the lamb chops at breakfast and the Frech loaves made with the best flour in the world, but most of all I will miss the "family" that was Oceania. The founders of the company made it their own, a large corportaion like NCL cannot compete with that...

Having said all of the above, if standards don't slip and the status-quo remains with positive reviews, I may return, but it's like going back to the same hotel years later, it's never quite the same.... Tempus Fugit...

So long Mr. Sheehan, it's all yours!

Did you know Silversea has a 20% return client base and Oceania has 80%..

Jancruz1

I did like Silversea but they have not given their ships a good refurbishment in 3-4 years (at least). A lot of their customers are unhappy with them. Their newest ship was built during the downturn of the economy and is mostly plastic (and we stayed in a Silver Suite -- very disappointing). We do like the Shadow and Whisper (have sailed on both) but they need refurbishing. The Cloud and Wind are simply too old and too small.

Perhaps when you try Silversea, you'll check out Oceania or Regent again. It is always nice to return "home".

Any chance we might see recipical acknowledgement of customer loyalty programs? A gold on O is treated as a gold on NCL and vice versa. I know O and Regent don't do that now, but I would be more inclined to bounce around if they did. Like the airline agreements between carriers on they frequent flyer programs.

Jancruz1

Thank you for the information, but I was already aware of that fact and yes I have cruised extensively on both.

I'm also aware that nothing is perfect, especially NCL.

It've made my decision and wish you all the best.

Perhaps going forward there might be a joint loyalty program but I doubt very much that it would be 'retroactive".

While I am not familiar with NCL's loyalty program, I imagine there are an awful lot of people with many sea days with NCL. That would lead to a lot of PPG, high OBC and perhaps free cruises (and other Gold/Diamond Oceania benefits) on Oceania without having sailed a single day on Oceania.

Not a very likely scenario (and surely not welcome by O loyalists).

Edited by Paulchili

I seriously doubt it. Oceania and NCL count cruises or points for their loyalty programs while Regent counts nights on board. There is another issue and that is value. For example, if the amount of points needed to receive substantial benefits was 200 points, a person sailing on NCL in a lower cabin would spend considerably less money than someone in the lowest cabin on Oceania or lowest suite Regent.

I am more familiar with the Regent program. As of November 1st, you must have 75 nights on Regent to receive included internet (unless you stay in one of the top suites). We had to wait until we had 200 nights on Regent in order to get free laundry (as well as other things).

IMO, it is all a matter of fairness. If they are able to compare apples to apples, perhaps it would work.

Jancruz1

Just off the phone to my agent, who is also a close friend, who tells me the difference is nowhere near as marked as you say.....that has also been my observation on previous cruises with Silversea. She also told me that 'O' pay her a full 5% more than Silversea pay in commissions, despite selling similar volumes.

I totally get where PSC above is coming from.....not all of us want to sail with a big cruise monolith; if I did I would have tried Azamara or Seabourn by now. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by LaCroisiereS'amuse

I answered a similar post on the Norwegian forum. I said as long as it's so easy to get status on NCL the perks will never extend to Oceania and Regent.

On Oceania, I've spent 142 days and some amount over $100,000 to achieve Silver status, only half way to Platinum.

On NCL, I took two cruises and multiplied the points using their system and Voila! I'm Platinum on NCL, for a total cost of about $15,000. In case someone is wondering, I took one 10 day cruise on NCL in 2010 at a bargain price, booked at the last minute and in a standard balcony -- 10 points.

Then last Fall, I sailed for 24 days on NCL in the North Atlantic and Scandanavia -- 24 points. But, I booked it more than a year earlier -- 24 more points. And I upgraded to a Suite -- 24 more points. That's 72 points for one cruise, plus the 10 I already had. Platinum is 75 points.

I would be very unhappy if someone who is Platinum on NCL expected to get Platinum perks on Oceania.

Just off the phone to my agent' date=' who is also a close friend, who tells me the difference is nowhere near as marked as you say.....that has also been my observation on previous cruises with Silversea. [/quote']

Our last O cruise we had over 700 repeat cruisers out of 1250 PAX

I would say that is pretty good percentage

On other cruises with O it has been at least 50% or more repeat cruisers

Have no idea on SS repeaters

Edited by LHT28

I've been away and not following the O board very closely lately as O cruising is only one aspect receiving my discretionary travel $$. I don't have nearly the O credits that many posters here seem to have but my experiences there allow me to highly recommend the carrier to any potential cruisers who seek information. Out of curiosity, I decided to look into this forum when informed of the sale by a fellow passengers on our last O cruise from Barcelona to Dubai. I find the tumult amusing! A tempest in a teapot, Really. As another poster noted, NCL is not stupid, that's why they bought Prestige. As I understand it, NCL proposes to maintain Prestige as is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! That's why they invited FDR to stay on. He could take the money and run, after all. We don't know why he is staying into 2015. Perhaps he'll renew beyond that or, as others have suggested, become chair of NCL. Therefore loyal O's should expect a continuation of the outstanding product they have subscribed to in the past, including the loyalty points system. Pricing maintenance will be made through economies of scale purchasing and administration co-ordination as they've indicated. Why would all these intelligent passengers doubt that? If NCL were to mess with the golden egg by charging for water bottles, charge extra for specialty dining etc., they do so at their peril. There is too much competition out there for our discretionary dollars. We don't have to threaten them with it, they already know. Take the high road, stay calm, wait and see. Nuff said, I'm done