Anyone take Ginger as precaution or to aid in sea-sickness?

mikeysed

Hi All-

I typically do not get sick or feel sea-sickness. I bought Sailors Secret (ginger pills) last cruise as precaution... I didn't get sick so not sure if they worked or not.

The thing with Sailors Secret and I get it... it says Sailor on it so mostly ALL reviews are for people on cruises/boats/scuba...However, these are 250mg per capsule so it says to take 4 per serving (to reach 1000mg)...they only give 36 ct in the box.

Since this is the only ingredient I was thinking of buying Natures Way Ginger Root Pills... these are 550mg per capsule. So I basically can buy a bottle of 100 for like $5... and I will only need to take 2 per serving and have tons of extras.

My question in posting this... is anyone familiar with both products or maybe have been in the same boat and tried the Natures Way instead - maybe a large family, long cruise, etc. Its not really even the cost although this would cost $7.50 shipped vs $14.. but the fact of taking 2 pills instead of 4.

I really believe they are the same thing, just the one is not branded for the Seas, and just ginger pills.

Figured I would post this here as people may have thought the same thing as me and have tried these instead.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm not an expert in Pharmacology, but I would think that it's the natural ingredient found in the Ginger that triggers the protection and therefore any ginger of the same dose would be the same no matter what name. I use the Natures Way. Don't know whether the results are real or psychological, but if it works, it works. You can also request Natural Ginger Root for your tea, it's available on the ship. Green Apples are also considered a natural remedy for seasickness.

We just use ginger we buy from the vitamin section of a drug store or other place where vitamins and supplements are sold. It is pretty inexpensive.

It seems to help and we've also shared it with others on a cruise who have had problems and it has helped them.

We don't really have any problems but do take it when seas are rough or we otherwise feel we might have problems. Hard to say if we would have had problems if we hadn't taken the ginger.

Ginger has been proven in studies to reduce nausea for motion sickness (and also morning sickness for that matter). I use the vitamin brand - ginger is ginger. One thing to keep in mind is that ginger thins the blood, so anyone with any medical issues or conditions should be double-checking with their physician first before taking any. It also can cause issues if anyone has acid reflux or stuff like that. I have found for me it helps when the seas are rocky, but in and of itself it is not enough. If the seas are rough I still need to take some form of Dramamine/Bonine, but the ginger does help considerably, and in mildly rocky seas it may be enough. There is also ginger candy you can buy - most are pure ginger with few other ingredients but you would want to read the label. I have found these in Asian groceries, and also in stores like World Market.

......I was thinking of buying Natures Way Ginger Root Pills... these are 550mg per capsule. So I basically can buy a bottle of 100 for like $5... and I will only need to take 2 per serving and have tons of extras.

My question in posting this... is anyone familiar with both products or maybe have been in the same boat and tried the Natures Way instead - maybe a large family, long cruise, etc. Its not really even the cost although this would cost $7.50 shipped vs $14.. but the fact of taking 2 pills instead of 4.

DW says; Ginger is ginger. I say; Until you mix her up with Mary Ann.

I agree, as I have used different brands of ginger capsules from different drug stores and health food stores at different times on different cruises.

I think that Natures Way is a brand that I have used, but I just buy whatever is convenient at the time and don't care about getting any particular brand name.

The one I have currently is a jar of Spring Valley brand Whole Herb Ginger Root 550 mg capsules.

It says "Serving Size 1 Capsule" which works fine for me.

That $5 bottle should last you and your family for many cruises to come if you just look for an expiration date a long way off.

The green apples, ginger candies or ginger ale are all that some people need, and many like to wear seabands as well.

Don't forget that you can also get free meclizine at Guest Relations.

I take ginger root capsules 550mg I think, one in the morning and one in the evening, or night. I take it every day, even if the sea is like a millpond as I figure that prevention is better than cure and I prefer not to feel unwell for one minute of my holiday if at all possible. We have sailed in some fairly rough seas both very far forward and also aft and so far, I've not needed any other form of medication .

I find it's best to take with some food as a couple of times I've taken it on its own before bed and experienced a bit of " ginger reflux" :o

Remembering that everyone is different but in a nutshell, I absolutely recommend ginger root capsules as there are ( generally) no side effects. :)

I get ginger root from the Ocean View Café just because I like to have it for a drink in hot water and also like it in my tea. I don't have problems with nausea though. And yes it is a blood thinner. When I was booked for surgery a couple of years ago my surgeon said no ginger root for the week before.

I use Seabands when I am concerned about seasickness. http://www.sea-band.com. They worked great on a small boat in fairly rough seas. I knew it was them because I had taken them off for swimming and forgotten to put them back on before the rough ride. About 20 minutes after I put them on I felt completely fine.

DW says; Ginger is ginger. I say; Until you mix her up with Mary Ann.

Agree...

Ginger is ginger period. It works to calm nausea. You can take it in any form... Real Ginger - Sugared Ginger - Ginger Candies - Ginger Capsules / Supplements - or even Gingerale. You can get any / all of these at a Bulk Food Store or Health Store *

I am the one prone to seasickness / motion sickness in the Sloop Family... So Ginger is always a part of our Travel Kit. Ginger has definitely worked in the past for me. I usually take a capsule before I know I could be in a situation to bring it on... Such as riding on a car ferry. Then if I find myself feeling woozy I will also suck on a Ginger Candy or chew on a piece of Sugared Ginger, or sip on Gingerale.

Crackers & Green Apples are also good for Nausea.

BTW, I have never felt ill on a Celebrity Cruise (knock on wood)

Now Mr Sloop he suffers from Vertigo... An inner ear problem. He had issues when we were in the Atlantic / Crossing the Straits of Florida on our first cruise in Gale Force Winds. He wasn't sick per se, but he was very unhappy with a 2 day headache, and just feeling off.

He found relief in Gravol & Tylenol... And when our Ship finally made it to better weather and the much smoother Caribbean Sea.

He worries abit about it happening again... Especially in open waters of the Atlantic (we have a Bermuda Cruise in 2015)... But was told by a Sr Officer of the Solstice Crew that the rough crossing we had to San Juan wasn't the norm, and that the ship was being pushed around on a wierd angle by the wind which made things worse than normal

Mr Sloop says he's going to hit up the Bromine / Dramamine before we get on the Bermuda Cruise in hopes that will stay off any Vertigo... And I will be packing along the Ginger in case I run into any issues.

Not being 100% yourself on vacation sucks... But cruising is such a great holiday for us when it goes well that we are willing to take our chances (lol even on that very first cruise, Mr Sloop had such a great time that we booked our next from Future Cruises while onboard... We recognized it as a fluke event and not the norm)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

* Note - Ginger is considered a Supplement... Especially in Capsule form... So you should check with a Physician if you are going to add it in any regular amount to your diet. Same thing if you plan to take over the counter Meds for Seasickness / Vertigo.

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

It's often recommended to take 1-2 ginger capsules before breakfast, lunch and dinner. I found them to help. And, as others said, ginger is ginger. Buy the cheapest brand, but make sure it's pure ginger.

What helps me most are seabands. Use them every cruise. If the seas are calm, I wear them for 2 days, then take off. If the seas get worse, then I put them back on.

I use Seabands when I am concerned about seasickness. http://www.sea-band.com. They worked great on a small boat in fairly rough seas. I knew it was them because I had taken them off for swimming and forgotten to put them back on before the rough ride. About 20 minutes after I put them on I felt completely fine.

I also use Seabands..while on a cruise several years ago, a hurricane followed us for most of of our 11 day cruise. Many passengers were sick on board and several people I met spent time in the infirmary. I heard we had 20ft waves one night; long story short, the Seabands worked for me and they now come on every cruise with me.:D

Maryann

We bought a box of ginger snap cookies for the first cruise that we went on. Never opened them.

They serve ginger every evening at the sushi counter.

I have been in many rough seas on cruises and fortunately never go sea sick. Have felt rathr under the warther many times but I think it was more of a result of over indulging, and that was before I ever had a drink pack.

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I used to get terribly seasick, and wore patches on cruises, but got tired of the dry mouth that goes with it. Now I do the following- it's worked like a charm for 40+ days at sea(!) with many days and nights of rough seas:

I buy Trader Joe's triple ginger cookies, and eat three a day starting 3-4 days before we leave and each day on board. Not one moment of seasickness since! If shared it with sick-prone friends before their recent cruise, and they also had no hint of seasickness. Lots more fun than capsules!

We bought a box of ginger snap cookies for the first cruise that we went on. Never opened them.

They serve ginger every evening at the sushi counter.

I have been in many rough seas on cruises and fortunately never go sea sick. Have felt rathr under the warther many times but I think it was more of a result of over indulging, and that was before I ever had a drink pack.

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Pickled Ginger... "the pink stuff" which I assume you are speaking of at the Sushi Counter is indeed Ginger... But it s very much an acquired taste vs regular ginger

Now Ginger Cookies / Ginger Snaps, believe a lot more people could get onboard with that "prescribed med" :D

Cheers!

I can't take ginger because I have an autoimmune condition that leads to low platelets so I can't take anything that thins the blood even slightly, but what I recently discovered was a little bottle of oil called "motioneaze" which - and this seems really weird - you dab 2 drops behind your ears and it immediately stops any motion sickness. I have no idea how it works, it seemed like a long shot to me but I recently took it on a 7 hour drive during which I usually get extremely motion sick and it worked really well. Whether that was just the placebo effect I don't know but I'll be trying it on my cruise next month too.

Just another option. It's pretty inexpensive, was about £5 for a small bottle.

Pickled Ginger... "the pink stuff" which I assume you are speaking of at the Sushi Counter is indeed Ginger... But it s very much an acquired taste vs regular ginger

Now Ginger Cookies / Ginger Snaps, believe a lot more people could get onboard with that "prescribed med" :D

Cheers!

Celebrity should add ginger cookies to their menu. I have suggested in on several cruises. They have a fleet wide menu of course and it is difficult to change. Ginger cookies are a staple for us and most folks love them. Just makes sense . Still hoping!!