Princess@Sea Messenger

FLACRUISER99

Didn't I read somewhere that NCL has this?

I know that Quantum is doing a lot with intranet. Perhaps this will be part of that?

This article says yes :) using the Royal IQ. Cost unkown.

1408965041861_wps_42_Booking_Shorex_iPhone_2V2.jpg

There's an app for that: Cruise Planner and Royal iQ allow passengers to research and book restaurant reservations and communicate with other guests

Royal will be rolling out their app by the end of October and what was stated at the reveal that it will be free to use onboard the ship.

I would never dream of loading some app that the Royal IT department designed on one of my devices.:eek::eek::eek:

Yeah this one is a real catch 22 for me.

Whenever I explain to "non-cruisers" about why I sail one of the things I mention is walking onboard and putting my wallet and cellphone in the safe and not seeing them for a week.

I live on my cellphone for work, so it's the best sign of vacation at sea, just to put it away.

Well, as I've sailed with friends I've said so many times, I wish I could just text them.

because we're always separated.

I once went 6 hours without seeing my wife onboard!

So this is definitely welcomed, just means I have to haul my phone out again I guess...

I would never dream of loading some app that the Royal IT department designed on one of my devices.:eek::eek::eek:

LOL! Agreed and I would never dream of carrying my phone on a ship. ;)

Edited by Big_G

LOL! Agreed and I would never dream of carrying my phone on a ship. ;)

It simply amazes me that people can't give their texting fingers a rest for the time they are on a cruise. I won't be carrying around my phone and using this technology.....good old 'walkie - talkies' have been very effective for us, during the rare times we actually needed them on past cruises.

Has Princess finally made it possible to access your account information on your stateroom TV? Until that happens, I will consider Princess to be in the technological dark ages, regardless of any small gimmicky devices they may tout.

I carry my phone with me onboard to use as my clock and camera. I welcome the ability to text my husband onboard to let him know where I am or where to meet. I don't really feel that is "being connected". I, too, appreciate being off the grid while on a cruise and this doesn't really change that.

I was happy to get the Princess email. I'm hoping they have it available on the Caribbean Princess in time for our sailing in February, but I'm doubtful they will roll it out to all of the ships that quick. I know NCL has one as well, I think it's around $7 per person. I don't think I would pay for it for each of us so Princess is a much better value. I'm hoping that Royal Caribbean also releases theirs for "free" use. I really love the idea of the Daily Activities to be loaded on the app vs. having to carry the paper around.

I don't really feel that is "being connected". I, too, appreciate being off the grid while on a cruise and this doesn't really change that.

I think you have a good point here.

The only texts we'd get would be our friends/family telling us where they are, I guess I could handle that.

But like others I love not carrying my phone on a cruise.

nice to know I'd still be "off the grid"

I carry my phone with me onboard to use as my clock and camera. I welcome the ability to text my husband onboard to let him know where I am or where to meet. I don't really feel that is "being connected". I, too, appreciate being off the grid while on a cruise and this doesn't really change that.

I was happy to get the Princess email. I'm hoping they have it available on the Caribbean Princess in time for our sailing in February, but I'm doubtful they will roll it out to all of the ships that quick. I know NCL has one as well, I think it's around $7 per person. I don't think I would pay for it for each of us so Princess is a much better value. I'm hoping that Royal Caribbean also releases theirs for "free" use. I really love the idea of the Daily Activities to be loaded on the app vs. having to carry the paper around.

If you have to have an active internet package to make this work, seem like you will definitely have to be back "on grid".

Yeah this one is a real catch 22 for me.

Whenever I explain to "non-cruisers" about why I sail one of the things I mention is walking onboard and putting my wallet and cellphone in the safe and not seeing them for a week.

I live on my cellphone for work, so it's the best sign of vacation at sea, just to put it away.

Well, as I've sailed with friends I've said so many times, I wish I could just text them.

because we're always separated.

I once went 6 hours without seeing my wife onboard!

So this is definitely welcomed, just means I have to haul my phone out again I guess...

This truly isn't a 'catch 22' as you put it (and for many it will be a welcome addition), for me.

When DH and I cruise with friends -- perhaps 1-3 other couples, our standing agreement is -- we'll meet up at dinner, since we do schedule ourselves for the early dinner seating together. On any given night someone may (or all of us together) go to a specialty restaurant (so far that hasn't happened when we cruise together) -- we enjoy knowing what everyone did. Sometimes we do schedule to go on excursions together (and how nice that is when we do it -- sometimes planned that way and sometimes it just happens to work out that way).

Everyone knows each others likes, and where they could be found on sea days....it is remarkable -- no matter HOW MANY other cruises are on board, we manage during the day to find/bump into others from our group. Even if I am just cruising with my DH, we both have an uncanny way to find each other, no matter how many other cruises there.

We do sometimes carry our walkie-talkies around -- yet rarely 'need to use them' -- usually we use them, if we have agreed to meet at a certain time and place and something been delayed for some reason.

If I went 6 hours without seeing my DH, it would be fine....but usually we would at least find each other when we wanted to eat....we don't usually eat alone on a cruise.

I'm not sure how this is leapfrogging. RCL announced this with the Quantum reveal. All cruise lines are way behind in the use of mobile technology compared with other industries.

Could it be because they are in the middle of a really big ocean

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

If you have to have an active internet package to make this work, seem like you will definitely have to be back "on grid".

My limited understanding of the technology is that it uses the ships wifi connection--intranet. You do not need to be connected to the internet and therefore will not need to have an active internet package. The only time that should come into play is if you do not download the app prior to the ship leaving port. You would need an active internet connection to download the app.

Once the app is downloaded, you will not need an active connection to be able to utilize the text service. And you will only be able to text others on the ship that have the app as well. I wouldn't be "texting" friends and family at home.

Really liked it on NCL this past summer for keeping in touch with our daughter. Since it works on a iPod touch (or tablet) you don't have to carry around a full phone if you don't want.

Being able to send texts is far less intrusive to those around us than a walkie talkie. Plus, NCL allows VoIP calls between devices, although we were fine with text only.

It simply amazes me that people can't give their texting fingers a rest for the time they are on a cruise. I won't be carrying around my phone and using this technology.....good old 'walkie - talkies' have been very effective for us, during the rare times we actually needed them on past cruises.

it does not amaze me. Communication is part of life, even onboard. I carry my phone onboard and eagerly look forward to the an onboard app.

Really liked it on NCL this past summer for keeping in touch with our daughter. Since it works on a iPod touch (or tablet) you don't have to carry around a full phone if you don't want.

Being able to send texts is far less intrusive to those around us than a walkie talkie. Plus, NCL allows VoIP calls between devices, although we were fine with text only.

It only takes a few seconds to use the walkie to reach my DH. The goal is not to have a 'long winded conversation' just a fast call out to my DH.

I never considered the human voice intrusive, unless of course it was rude and obnoxious....and many use their voice in rude and obnoxious ways, without a walkie.

It only takes a few seconds to use the walkie to reach my DH. The goal is not to have a 'long winded conversation' just a fast call out to my DH.

I never considered the human voice intrusive, unless of course it was rude and obnoxious....and many use their voice in rude and obnoxious ways, without a walkie.

Walkie Talkies are intrusive. They have a squelch sound when they go on and off. Cell Phones are more like general conversation. Except for some phone users who seem to want all to hear the conversation. I don't make calls with my phone. I text. Texting is very considerate. No noise at all.