Meanwhile, on the Oasis of the Seas…. Photos in dry-dock.

Alphen

Neat pictures :)

Maybe you can answer a newb's question for me....what is the purpose of the underwater projection at the front of the ship?

It is called a bulbous bow and is a design feature that improves the flow of water around the hull resulting in greater fuel efficiency and performance. This is a very common feature on ships today.

Great pictures! I'll admit, the second one makes me break out in a cold sweat. There's something about those tiny people standing there with a huge hunk of steel perched over head that makes me uncomfortable! :eek:

Anyone know the purpose of the cable running from the aft of the ship (just above the waterline) that runs to some location off the picture to the right?

I would guess that it is a ground connection to provide an additional "earth" point for the electrical system, much like we have a separate copper ground wire to a ground rod in our homes.

I also notice that their is an additional hull penetration that is just aft of the four forward bow thrusters. Anyone know what that opening is for?

Edited by Hypo

Great pictures! I'll admit, the second one makes me break out in a cold sweat. There's something about those tiny people standing there with a huge hunk of steel perched over head that makes me uncomfortable! :eek:

I had the exact same feeling, Cindy! I wouldn't feel very warm and fuzzy standing underneath that massive ship :eek:

OP - great pics - thanks so much for sharing!!!

Melissa

I also notice that their is an additional hull penetration that is just aft of the four forward bow thrusters. Anyone know what that opening is for?

It's probably the sea-water intake for the desalinization plants, the beach pool and for other misc (cooling, etc) needs.

As I look at these photos I wonder, how do they get a ship into drydock and resting on those blocks that I see underneath her?

I believe they use divers to properly position the blocks.

As I look at these photos I wonder, how do they get a ship into drydock and resting on those blocks that I see underneath her?

I believe they use divers to properly position the blocks.

The keel blocks are prepositioned according to the "docking plan" of the ship. The blocks are typically made of concrete and are thus on the order of several thousand pounds each. The blocks would be placed using the cranes and when the ship comes into the drydock she is precisely placed in the dock using GPS or some other way.

The bulbous bow create a wave that cancels out the wave created by the front of the ship. The length of the bulb required to precisely cancel out the bow wave of the ship is highly dependent on the speed of the ship, so it is typically only used on larger vessels that usually travel at a constant speed (you won't see them on many tugboats or fishing vessels, for example). Having the wrong length bulbous bow can actually double the size of the waves along the hull and reduce efficiency.

The bulbous bow create a wave that cancels out the wave created by the front of the ship. The length of the bulb required to precisely cancel out the bow wave of the ship is highly dependent on the speed of the ship, so it is typically only used on larger vessels that usually travel at a constant speed (you won't see them on many tugboats or fishing vessels, for example). Having the wrong length bulbous bow can actually double the size of the waves along the hull and reduce efficiency.

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing :)