Meanwhile, on the Oasis of the Seas…. Photos in dry-dock.

Alphen

Very interesting photos on the link!:)

Bob;

In this photo from LMaxwell's link, (which is not the Oasis), you can clearly see the double bottom tanks that they have cut through to gain access to the engine room. This is about 1.5 meters high, and the holes in the frames are where we crawl through when inspecting the tanks. They are about 18"x24" and these old shoulders don't work as well as they used to, so it takes me a little longer than some guys to work through a place like this. These particular double bottoms have a lot of framework in them because of the amount of weight of machinery installed above.

The hull plating here is about 19mm (3/4") thick, and that amazes a lot of new guys that that is all there is between them and the sea.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10696372_294251014115815_944977615559482095_n.jpg?oh=333a4c1044d096e59d9d8601245dc2c5&oe=54C99F76

More photos and video here.

And yes, Cheng (Chief Engineer?) for CC Commodore.

Nah, I'll leave the Commodore position for deck types like Tonka's Skipper. I'll take the Superintendent's job though. Unfortunately, I'm gone 6 months of the year, so any forum would have some long periods of inactivity, and I wouldn't be able to answer all the questions that had piled up before going back to the ship! :)

Yes, Cheng is short for Chief Engineer. I've been sailing as Chief for over 30 years now.

Bob;

In this photo from LMaxwell's link, (which is not the Oasis), you can clearly see the double bottom tanks that they have cut through to gain access to the engine room. This is about 1.5 meters high, and the holes in the frames are where we crawl through when inspecting the tanks. They are about 18"x24" and these old shoulders don't work as well as they used to, so it takes me a little longer than some guys to work through a place like this. These particular double bottoms have a lot of framework in them because of the amount of weight of machinery installed above.

The hull plating here is about 19mm (3/4") thick, and that amazes a lot of new guys that that is all there is between them and the sea.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10696372_294251014115815_944977615559482095_n.jpg?oh=333a4c1044d096e59d9d8601245dc2c5&oe=54C99F76

Thanks for pointing this out, I missed it at first.:)

Just another question on the hull painting.

I understand that they have 2 block layouts and alternate painting certain areas between dry-docks. If you look at the pictures in post #1 and #130 the blocks that run midship where the hull starts to taper upwards to the bulbous bow the blocks appear to be spaced very close together. In that section and it does not appear that even with repositioning the blocks at the next dry-dock that they would be able to fully paint the hull.

Just another question on the hull painting.

I understand that they have 2 block layouts and alternate painting certain areas between dry-docks. If you look at the pictures in post #1 and #130 the blocks that run midship where the hull starts to taper upwards to the bulbous bow the blocks appear to be spaced very close together. In that section and it does not appear that even with repositioning the blocks at the next dry-dock that they would be able to fully paint the hull.

The centerline blocks ("midships" references the middle area of the ship in a fore/aft direction, sorry, couldn't resist), as well as all blocks, are located under frames to transmit the load from above through something stronger than the plating. There will be frames between the existing blocks. If the photos were taken facing directly port/stbd, you would see that the spacing between blocks is equal or greater than the length of the blocks. Frame spacing does tend to get closer together at the bow and stern, since you are no longer dealing with a "box" shaped "girder" supporting the load, and for stiffness reasons, but the block spacing is considered when sizing the blocks as well as placement. I do notice that under the second bow thruster there are what appear to be several blocks together. Not knowing the blocking plan, I can only surmise that since there is a gap in blocks under the first thruster, that the other blocking plan supports under this thruster and not the second.

Generally, hull paint consists of 3 coats of anti-corrosive paint (think primer or Rust-o-leum), and two coats of anit-fouling. While the shiny blue outer coat is the high tech slick finish, I'm pretty sure that the rust-red coat that is visible in most areas (after the worn blue coating is hydro-blasted off) is another anti-fouling coat. So, not only is there another anti-fouling coat present (albeit not as effective as the top coat), but the ship sitting on the block has crushed any marine life attached to that spot. You don't see too many bare spots on the hull, even after 5 years. There were a couple of photos in the link that showed white stripes on the hull; these are anti-corrosive coats applied after the paint was removed from the weld seams to allow ultrasonic thickness or x-ray inspection of the welds. All hull plating and welds are inspected on a random schedule to give the surveyor a good indication of the condition of the hull. This is done even at the first drydocking, to give a baseline for future data.

It worked once for me and when I tried to watch again, got that weird error code also. :(

The link posted before to the Hart van Nederland site seems to have had issues with intermittent error codes and only being able to view it once. I searched and found the same video on YouTube.

screen grab: boardwalk_hart_van%20_nederland.jpg

Michael....

My apologies if photos posted were not Oasis; they were lifted from the Dockworker Rotterdam site and claimed to be Oasis. Still some up close detail of how dry docks happen and great info from our resident engineer.

Hopefully a documentary is being produced for TCL, Discovery, History, etc. or for onboard programming. There was that short documentary done for the Allure propulsion job in Freeport.

Hopefully a documentary is being produced for TCL, Discovery, History, etc. or for onboard programming. There was that short documentary done for the Allure propulsion job in Freeport.

That would be very interesting. Would love to see that. Hopefully it's getting done.

My apologies if photos posted were not Oasis; they were lifted from the Dockworker Rotterdam site and claimed to be Oasis. Still some up close detail of how dry docks happen and great info from our resident engineer.

Not blaming you, just saying that so people won't ask what is happening. It could be the Oasis, but there are some photos of a container ship there as well, and I think that is where those were from. And it did help me point out something to Bob.

When are they going to announce the changes that have been made on Oasis? We sail in 45 days and would like to know if there are different restaurants to choose from.

That is classifed information.:rolleyes:

Nah... just call RCI. Customer service will give you an answer... even if it's wrong. Geesh.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

But at least if you don't like the answer you can call back and get a different one.

We are sailing in December on the Oasis and were able to upgrade to a GS yesterday. The cabin number is 12330 which doesn't exist under the current schematic. Is this going in where the old "secret balcony" was?

We are sailing in December on the Oasis and were able to upgrade to a GS yesterday. The cabin number is 12330 which doesn't exist under the current schematic. Is this going in where the old "secret balcony" was?

Yes...it looks like you hit the jackpot!:D