Don't bring your own washing machine!

We are travelling on the Splendour repositioning cruise on November 22nd (Barcelona to Sao Paulo). We have just received a message from Royal Caribbean, which includes the following sentence:

'No Carton Boxes, household appliances including, but not limited to, Dishwashers, Dryers, Washing Machines and Large Screen Televisions will be permitted onboard in Barcelona or any of the scheduled ports of call on the itinerary.'

I think that must rank as the most unusual information I've ever been given about a cruise!

We are travelling on the Splendour repositioning cruise on November 22nd (Barcelona to Sao Paulo). We have just received a message from Royal Caribbean, which includes the following sentence:

'No Carton Boxes, household appliances including, but not limited to, Dishwashers, Dryers, Washing Machines and Large Screen Televisions will be permitted onboard in Barcelona or any of the scheduled ports of call on the itinerary.'

I think that must rank as the most unusual information I've ever been given about a cruise!

I was gonna bring my 50" plasma tv in my carry-on, do you think they'll be looking hard enough to spot it?

They didn't say we can't bring ours in January, but I'm holding out for Nov 2015 since we can drive to the port. I'm sure US Airways will find that bag weighs more than 50lbs.

When we were in St. Martin this summer we saw multiple people bringing newly purchased luggage and televisions onto the ship. I guess they did their homework or something and figured it was a cheap place to buy?

"No sir Mr. Customs Enforcement Dude, I brought this new-in-a-box TV with me from home."

Edited by MichaelCMTX

Sounds like they have had problems in the past with people who were using the ship as a moving van! Interesting.

Exactly. I once stood in line at a Caribbean airline ticket counter in Miami with a woman trying to board with a pole lamp and a barbeque.

Brazil's import policy is very difficult. Must be easier or cheaper for individuals to purchase in Europe and bring home on a Transatlantic. Can you imagine two weeks in a cruise ship cabin with a dishwasher in the box in the middle of your cabin? And you KNOW the baggage handlers would be thrilled with that.

I did a TA on the QE II back in the 70's. We were moving back from Scotland to the US, so we utilized their baggage policy. In addition to two suitcases per person in the cabin, you were allowed one steamer trunk per person in the baggage locker (no access during voyage except by advance request), and 20 cubic feet per person in the cargo hold (no access during voyage). That sure made it nice to have some household goods before the container with the remainder of our stuff arrived.

I did a TA on Vision in December 2010, Lisbon to São Paulo. The average of bags/boxes per person was 30. Yes, 30! This is the cheapest way to move. There were passengers who booked an extra cabin, or two just for baggage, boxes, furniture and appliances😯

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by ARCruisinNana

Exactly. I once stood in line at a Caribbean airline ticket counter in Miami with a woman trying to board with a pole lamp and a barbeque.

If you brought you're own barbeque, you could order your steak raw and then cook it to order yourself. :D

That's because they are closing the Viking Crown Lounge and putting in a Best Buy and they want you to buy all of your electronics and appliances while on-board!!

Will I be able to use my OBC to purchase that 100" plasma I've been dreaming about?

Sounds like they have had problems in the past with people who were using the ship as a moving van! Interesting.

I've also heard that many folks use the repositioning to TA cruises as an opportunity to move households.

Seemed like a good idea to me, until now.

M

On my last Princess cruise, we were talking to a gentleman who told us he at one time was stationed in Italy for a job.

When it was time to return to the USA, he booked a suite on a trans-Atlantic cruise. In the suite he had the following: 150 cases of wine, 20 cartons of household goods, two trunks of clothes, a bicycle, and 5 cases of books.

He did tip the porters extra.

We have brought home items during a cruise when it stops in our home port. If we schedule right, we shop in Miami or NY and pack it up for the cruise, then drop it with a friend at the port to bring stuff in without having to pay shipping, etc. Very handy, especially for larger ticket items. I have many friends who work on ships and shop in St Maarten for their electronics, then bring it home when the ship stops here - electronics in St Maarten are among the cheapest in the Caribbean, and if your ship stops at your home port too, then you're in luck with shipping and customs (as we all have friends in Customs! lol). It works. And makes sense, considering exorbitant shipping costs.

And with Brazil's shipping and import limitations and regulations, I can completely understand bringing in as much as possible purchased in Europe through my cruise home. Makes total sense to me. While we've never brought a washing machine, of course, we have brought small appliances, etc. And several friends have brought TVs, microwaves, etc....it works.

This thread is so interesting..... I've never thought about using a cruise ship as a way to ship things like appliances and household goods, but as many of you have pointed out....it makes sense.

Here I've been hating the fact I travel with more than one suitcase and one carryon....I can't imagine having to keep track of multiple boxes of goods. lol

I believe that there is a real issue with the prices of imported, durable goods in Brazil as opposed to the EU -so I am sure there are Brazilians who have thought this was a way to get the stuff at better prices and transported for "free".

That's because they are closing the Viking Crown Lounge and putting in a Best Buy and they want you to buy all of your electronics and appliances while on-board!!

Now that makes sense. More revenue is always a good thing.