POA: How much time do you spend on ship where you are not asleep or eating?

acescruise

We have cruised twice to different locations. One with a balcony, one with an inside cabin. We are trying to decide for Hawaii if we would like a balcony. If is almost $600 more and it would buy more excursions to go the cheap route but are there enough places on the public parts of the ship to relax and enjoy the view or should we spend the extra on a balcony?

Also, if you are a regular cruiser, how do you afford it? I mean some of you are just well off and don't mind spending the money, but are there any ways/clubs/frequent cruiser benefits out there that I should research? I am having a hard time reconciling that this week could end up costing about $8000 for two people. We can afford it but then I think, "that could be new living room furniture or half of a new car" and I have a hard time thinking about doing it yearly. And I see some of you cruise even more often.

We have cruised twice to different locations. One with a balcony, one with an inside cabin. We are trying to decide for Hawaii if we would like a balcony. If is almost $600 more and it would buy more excursions to go the cheap route but are there enough places on the public parts of the ship to relax and enjoy the view or should we spend the extra on a balcony?

Also, if you are a regular cruiser, how do you afford it? I mean some of you are just well off and don't mind spending the money, but are there any ways/clubs/frequent cruiser benefits out there that I should research? I am having a hard time reconciling that this week could end up costing about $8000 for two people. We can afford it but then I think, "that could be new living room furniture or half of a new car" and I have a hard time thinking about doing it yearly. And I see some of you cruise even more often.

In Hawaii, the only place that is maybe worth the balcony is the Na Pali coast line which needs a port side view. Lava viewings aren't with every sailing.

I am a cheap inside cruisers. My preference for getting some bargains. I don't have any budget concerns and go on all the cruises I wish. I do think the NCL Hawaii itinerary is the winner and worth the costs. Unfortunately they have done nothing but go up. But, you can cruise for less than $8000 if you go with an inside cabin, and book the cheaper weeks, that may save a few more hundred. IF you are limited on your time, booking early can give the better rate.

I do find Hawaii cheap to tour with rental cars. Consider this, simple and easy to just drive up to all the natural beauty that Hawaii is known for.

We booked an aft facing balcony about 18 months out with a TA who could offer a good group fare discount to the cruise line's prices. Our flight, booked well in advance, was about $500 pp roundtrip from Phoenix, although we live near Chicago. We used airline points to get us to Phoenix for free. It was expensive, yes, but no where near your $8000 figure. We chose mid August because it was our anniversary, but if we had chosen a week or two later, we could have saved a few hundred more on the cruise fare.

The cabin was nice, but we spent very little time there, and if budget did not allow for it, we could certainly been happy in an inside. Most of our time was spent off the ship. 3 specialty restaurant dinners and the rest in the buffet. One dinner off the ship. Early evenings on days we were not overnighting were spent on the aft facing lounge area on deck 11 for some scenic viewing, cocktails and live music on some nights. It is canopied, protected from the wind, has nice couches and chairs, and serves as an open air breakfast area. You can carry food from the main buffet, close by, or from a smaller buffet set up in Moderno Restaurant which is adjacent. It was our favorite place on the entire ship. As you enter the buffet, turn right and keep walking through the seating areas. You will see Moderno entry on your right just before you enter the deck area. I doubt most people even knew it was there.

If Hawaii is what interests you, you're better off doing a land vacation...you will have more time to explore...and there's so much to see and do in Hawaii, that you NEED that time! Plus, any hotel will give you a MUCH nicer room than the ship ever will!

I don't like to cruise without a balcony at least for fresh air. I do use it a lot and enjoy reading out there and DH and I enjoyed relaxing but I especially like to get fresh air in the cabin.

If Hawaii is what interests you, you're better off doing a land vacation...you will have more time to explore...and there's so much to see and do in Hawaii, that you NEED that time! Plus, any hotel will give you a MUCH nicer room than the ship ever will!

Depends. :) I book a week on each side of a POA cruise (which I do every year) one on Hawaii and one on Maui. Flights are cheap interisland.

I find the cruise excellent for my touring priorities and a great itinerary. Meals lodging and transportation all in one has it's benefits. :)

Try doing a Google search for cruise compete quotes. I believe you may be pleasantly surprised about how much money you could save by "shopping around."

You really don't spend much time in your cabin/balcony unless this isn't your first Hawaiian cruise. Having said that, we always sail with a balcony for fresh air.

This was our first trip to Hawaii and we didn't want to miss anything - so other than breakfast in the AM and maybe a drink before bed, we were "on the move" and off the ship.

We did have dinner most evenings and I don't remember many shows :D Hope this helps in your decision making process.

Another option would be an oceanview, not as expensive as a balcony. You can have great views, natural light, and not feel as if you're in a closet.

When we did this cruise, way back on the Pride of Aloha, we did have a balcony. However, we were off of the ship every day since it is a port intensive cruise. While on board, we were on the pool deck most of the time.

I'd say that you can get along with an inside, but as for me, I would not like the closed-in feeling.

It really depends on YOUR priorities, cabin wise & cruising wise.

For example, we enjoy our time alone on the balcony, as we see enough people everywhere else and would never sail in a inside or oceanview.

If you don't mind spending your time on deck with many other cruisers, an inside or oceanview will save you money that can be utilized elsewhere.

Some people spend all their time in port, on board in restaurants, shows or on open decks and only sleep and shower in their cabin, so inside /oceanview works for them.

We like to get the fresh air and spend a lot of time on the balcony.

Regardless of how port intensive a cruise is, we will not be gone all day, every day....enjoying our cabin time (couple time) is a goal for us on vacation too.

If cruising is important to you and you must budget for it, you will.

Find ways to save money every chance you can & put it in your cruise fund!

Get a cruise line credit card & use it for everything & save up the points!

Watch for sales & promotions, check every day!

Although they are often not for Hawaii cruises on NCL.

It really depends on price. If you're comfortable spending thousands of extra dollars on air, more power to you. $8000 is a lot of money. I would book an inside cabin if the price was substantially different and just plan on spending more time outside of my room. You wouldn't regret it when you have money saved. You may end up missing your money though. I know what I would do but you have to decide for yourself. I usually only book balconies but I've seen the prices on the POA because I've thought about going and if I did that cruise I'd end up booking the inside. I can't justify the cost. I ended up just booking a land vacation there instead.

I don't sail without a balcony. Coming into and out of ports I like to be on the balcony watching. I like the fresh seaair and wild life if there is any. It is a major enhancement to me so I don't go without it. I spend more time in my cabin / balcony because of how enjoyable and light and airy the cabin is.

Based on info we got on these boards we booked an inside cabin for Hawaii since we planned to spend almost all our time off ship. At the last minute we were offered a family balcony at no extra charge which we, of course, accepted.

We really spent very little time on ship - probably the least amount of time we have ever spent and that includes the port intensive European cruises. We would eat a quick breakfast in the buffet, pick up our rental car and spend the day exploring. Returning to the ship we had dinner, but almost as soon as dinner was over we went to bed - we were so busy all day that we just could not stay awake for the shows, etc.

We did enjoy using the balcony for the Na Pali coast as others have said, but that should not influence you on the extra money - you can see the same thing from any of the public decks.

Now that we have an idea of which islands appeal to us, I think we would not cruise again. But for first timers cruising is a great intro to the islands and helps you decide where you would like to return for a longer visit.

I will try to answer both questions.

1. Hawaii, 90 % of your sailing will be at night far from shore and for the Kauai and Volcano parts it is far better to be on deck than in a cabin.

I have taken this cruise 3 times, and I live in Hawaii and used to tak advantage of their local fare specials at the last min ( like 436 for a 10 day round Hawaii and Kiribati..but those days are gone)

You are far wiser to spend your money on shore... and it will get you a fare better experience. The ships all arrive around 7 am at first light and sail around sunset. The balcony is useless, there is no vista you see except ofr a few hours on 1 day..... best tours: Hilo...volcano national park on your own with car + a Helo flight over the volcano.... that's an 8 hour day.

Kona, a tour to Capt cook to snorkel. Honolulu: USS Arizona and Missouri, Pacific Air Museum and Sub Museum. 6 hours Maui: road to Hana, self driven Kauai: Rent a car and drive the 1 hiway south to the Waimea canyon then north to the end of the road about 4 hrs .

Skip the balcony... heck go for an inside and save even more !!!

NOW.... how do you afford it.

1. I established years ago a dedicated bank account that I put in a fixed amount every month like clock work Tax refunds and windfalls also get deposited. I started with a $15,000.00 opener from Walt Disney stock profit and sat out several years before using funds. This allowed me to build and also lets me know exactly what I can spend without running over what I have.

To this account I have 2 credit cards a United Mileage plus and a Marriott. These cards are used exclusively for travel and entertainment and earn in the course free hotel and air fares. This fashion allows free airfare and hotels for the start and end of cruises. I have another United credit card for normal home operations and expenses, beans gas , phone, insurance, gum,groceries and even taxes and home mort. All regular expenses, which further add to my mileage account.

I take only one cruise of 21 or longer days rather than many short ones. I do this because the longer cruises cost less per day because you amortize the travel to and from. ports.

Finally I work through an agent who gives me a 10% rebate and a healthy onboard credit. He cant and does not discount the cruise and up front I pay the full price. However. after all is paid and the cruise over, I get a gift in the mail. Many agent will do this but you have to shop... and establish a history of loyalty.

Depends. :) I book a week on each side of a POA cruise (which I do every year) one on Hawaii and one on Maui. Flights are cheap interisland.

I find the cruise excellent for my touring priorities and a great itinerary. Meals lodging and transportation all in one has it's benefits. :)

On 2000 interisland was like $39....in 2014 it is $100 to$ 220, each island each way !!!! There are no ferries. it will cost you about $400 pp for the air,$60 A DAY FOR CAR, $50 PER DAY GAS, $110PP PER DAY FOOD. hOTEL $180PD 7 DAYS fIGURE $2250 PP tHAT DOEN COT COVER AIR TO hAWAII

The only way to see Tahiti and Hawaii is by sea. Land costs, transporation costs, wasted time will bloway and dream of savings... You will spend thousands more than the cruise seeing what the NCL Hawaii cruise offers you

I LIVED IN in Hawaii for 20 years.... it is a myth that sounds good that you have to stay on the land to get the feel of Hawaii. That's BS. You can get the feel after 24 hours, and no one gets in touch with the culture because the culture doesn't want you... There are 2 Hawaii's one for tourists the other , the real Hawaii, is heavily racial..you aint on the guest list.

I haven't been on the Hawaiian cruises... so with airfare, perhaps it does cost a lot more. Most of the time my wife and I sail on cruises that are less than a quarter of your $8000 figure in a balcony. In fact, in about a month and a half three of us will be on the Getaway in a balcony for less than $2000... That will not include any airfare because we will drive to Miami. Hawaii is a different ballgame ... typically more expensive and hard to get to the port unless you live on Hawaii.

Our aft balcony ran us $1999 each... took advantage of Wave promotion & Military rate. Airfare R/T from Phoenix was $440 each. We rented a car on Oahu ($100 for 3 days), Maui for a day (no-charge due to mechanical issue) and Kauai for a day ($40). We spent a total of $60 for gas. Our hotel in Honolulu was $130 per night... Hale Koa, military resort on Waikiki Beach.

As for using the balcony, I was up early every morning, so I'd sit outside with my cup of coffee and watch the sun come up. When we were between ports, it was nice to listen to the wake and watch the stars... very peaceful. My personal preference... I will NOT cruise without a balcony. If I have to go less often to afford it, so be it. I like my fresh air.

I think the price flushes out though when you consider the cost of food and accommodations there and factor in travel and island hopping. :)

I think the price flushes out though when you consider the cost of food and accommodations there and factor in travel and island hopping. :)

As I wrote... it would cost you about $2300pp for 7 days and take 10 days to try and duplicate what the ship does.!!!

So 10 days would cost you $3284pp to duplicate what NCL does in 7

Remember it WILL pretty much suck up a whole day to fly interisland ( check out, check in TSA, bags check in get car) and you be run ragged.....

We chose a balcony and enjoyed it in the mornings and late afternoon evenings. For us it was the best choice. But we were off the ship all day, everyday.

As for the money, we chose what we wanted. Deciding this might be our only trip to Hawaii, since there are so many other places we want to see, we decided not to worry about the money. We didn't have the most elaborate cabin, but we did enjoy the balcony. I'm sure we could have saved on airfare, but we wanted non-stop with the wider seats. So, as was said before, you have choose what's right for you.

The cruise was excellent and I found it a great way to see all the islands in a short amount of time. We stayed in Waikiki for 3 days before the cruise, but if I had it to do over again, I think I would stay after the cruise. The reason is that we didn't feel like we had any "downtime", since unlike other cruises there were no "sea days".

As I wrote... it would cost you about $2300pp for 7 days and take 10 days to try and duplicate what the ship does.!!!

So 10 days would cost you $3284pp to duplicate what NCL does in 7

Remember it WILL pretty much suck up a whole day to fly interisland ( check out, check in TSA, bags check in get car) and you be run ragged.....

I can't tell from your several posts whether you are pro or anti POA cruise. :confused:

I can't tell from your several posts whether you are pro or anti POA cruise. :confused:

Its presently the best way and option for any first time visitor to Hawaii who is trying to decide things like which islands, how long and where to stay. It is even better when one adds on the end a stay at a place you visited that impressed you. No other ship line offers this 7 day focus for the price and time.

Only Holland America offers a better one but it is a 38 day long Tahiti, Hawaii, Cooks, Marqusea,Pago Pago and Samoa circle ftom San diego... ( If you can do that I would recommend it) However, NCL is the best bang for the buck for the first timer.

The ship hits the best of the best spots to visit all stress free.

So in real-time you can decide what you really like. No guide, friend, travel agent or me can tell you what is going to be best for you...Only you can do that

I lived in Hawaii for many years and took the ship many times for fun and price as it was cheaper many times than flying inter island hotels and cars..

It isn't fancy but it doesn't need to be luxury for what it is doing. You can be happy at a Holiday inn just as much as a Ritz Carlton on this itinerary... In fact you do not need luxury touring this sort of trip...you need comfort and function that allows you to rest and recover for the next days exploration.

Save your money on cabins and spend it on shore experiences . it will be a way better use of your time and money....

The reason is you spend so little time on the ship and most passengers will use the ship as a bed, shower and place to eat. Spending 12 hours a day on ports means pretty tired people. This is an intense adventure that is almost totally focused on stuff off the ship...think of it as a road trip by ship....its fun but exhausting.

We are booked on the POA in April 2015 in a deluxe penthouse with a large balcony (SD) on deck 13 (13002). The entire suite area (all of deck 13) was remodeled late last year. We have 5 of us in the suite and it originally cost $11,245 plus $250 OBC when we booked it a year ago. I check the website daily and whenever I see a special I call and they adjust the rate. A few months ago they had kids sail for free. It dropped my rate to $9,143 with $150 OBC. This suite is 500 square feet and an additional 480 square foot balcony. Whenever we cruise we book about a year and half ahead of time and the price almost always drops eventually. We stay in suites because of the size of the room, number of people we have in our family, the perks and the great balconies on most NCL ships. We usually nap on the balcony between dinner and the shows and sometimes fall asleep for the night on the balcony. If you have the room you will use it.

Edited by bosnatis