Healthcare worker possibly exposed to Ebola, sailing on Carnival ship

caladezi

Wonder why people are not as up in arms about TB, there are approximately 10,000 cases each year in the US and is highly contagious. Are health care works that care of these patients guarantied as well?

Pehaps the answer to your question lies in the fact that the death rate for Ebolas is 70% and the death rate for TB is 4%? Just thinking....

Cozumel denied docking to the Carnival Magic and it's headed back to the USA.

One person ruined the entire cruise for thousands.

Technically I guess one person did ruin the cruise. But in fairness, they were following protocol at the time. I copied part of the story here: "At the time the woman left on the cruise, the CDC was requiring medical workers involved in treating Duncan to self- monitor and was not restricting their travel.It has since updated requirements for active monitoring." In my mind, the CDC is responsible for ruining the cruise, if anyone needs to be blamed. I suspect I am not the only one dismayed with their handling of the whole situation so far.

Carnival might also suffer a real loss since they will probably need to offer some sort of compensation to their passengers. Wonder if they should consider a filing civil charges for the cost of the event against the passenger. Even a filing might serve to discourage those with things like norovirus from not filling health forms in a truthful way.

Edited by Orator

Carnival might also suffer a real loss since they will probably need to offer some sort of compensation to their passengers. Wonder if they should consider a filing civil charges for the cost of the event against the passenger. Even a filing might serve to discourage those with things like norovirus from not filling health forms in a truthful way.

Carnival is taking a hit on this. They offered $200 OBC and 50 % off on a future cruise.

And how many who contracted Ebola here in the US have died?

There is no statistical significance to the number of US Ebola patients dying, as of yet as the sample size is so low (and let's hope there never is!). That is not true across the world, nor is it true for TB. If your point is that patients have a better chance of survival in the US than in many other countries, then that is likely correct as our medical care would generally be superior. But the number is likely to be much higher than most would want to live with.

I'll be monitoring prices as this story builds. Am convinced that some will panic and cancel good cabins. Am on several Connie cruises in November and December and will look to up grade my cabin. Might be able to add a cruise at a really good rate. As I've said before: Panic=Opportunity in many areas.

I agree with you on this one, I'll be closely monitoring pricing... might be a good time to get in a quicky one week cruise.

As for the panic & absurd reactions of certain political factions, well, it's unfortunate, but you can't fix stupid.

Ebola is contagious only when someone has manifested physical symptoms, i.e., uncontrolled discharge of bodily fluids. Kind of hard to cover those up.

I know you can't change topic titles here on CC, but I think it would be appropriate for a moderator to step in and indicate in some way that there is NO Ebola on a cruise ship. OP must have only been on his first cup of coffee when hearing this story as he (or she) heard wrong.

Very well said and very mature response.

Your advice is excellent and well appreciated.

Thank you

Sea Ya

I am a retired RN...and the worst I was exposed to was TB and MRSA. We should not panic, of course, with only two cases of Ebola diagnosed thus far.

However, think about this....the Ebola virus is rated as Bio level 4 virus. The MOST Lethal. Think about that.

I for one, do not believe the government and what they say..how can anyone, when the CDC keeps changing the protocol on how to handle this Ebola Situation?

Anyone who has handled blood samples, come into contact with a person testing positive for Ebola should be in self quarantine for 21 days. Any person who has been exposed to a person with Ebola who has only, thus far, exhibited a fever, should be quarantined.

This needs to be done until we know more about how the virus behaves in our environment (as opposed to Sierra Leone, Guinea, and Liberia).

Should people panic? No, of course not! Caution and wisdom are called for. Right now there are only four hospitals equipped to properly handle Ebola patients. Just four.

We will be leaving for a cruise in January for the Caribbean. I am not at all concerned. I am more concerned about catching the Norovirus, which, in its early stages resembles Ebola :eek:

We need to have confidence in the CDC and our Govt. Right now, I don't.

2 thumbs up for your post. I agree 100%.

Including the lack of confidence in the CDC and now our new "Ebola Czar".:rolleyes:

(I'm a retired medical technologist, grateful not to be in the lab today).;)

I am a retired RN...and the worst I was exposed to was TB and MRSA. We should not panic, of course, with only two cases of Ebola diagnosed thus far.

We will be leaving for a cruise in January for the Caribbean. I am not at all concerned. I am more concerned about catching the Norovirus, which, in its early stages resembles Ebola :eek:

My wife and I have two Caribbean cruises scheduled for Jan' 15 out of Florida. May I please ask what travel precautions you plan to exercise for your cruise?

Thank you Arwen.

Brian

There is little you can do to prevent contracting this disease if there is an incubation period of 21 days.

Sure you can. Just avoid contact with the bodily fluids of people who show symptoms. It is only contagious during this period.

Do you know that for a fact?

What about burning belongings?

Quoting directly from the World Health Organisation fact sheet:

"The incubation period, or the time interval from infection to onset of symptoms, is from 2 to 21 days. The patients become contagious once they begin to show symptoms. They are not contagious during the incubation period."

Burning the belongings of an Ebola victim is done because the virus can survive for days in the bodily fluids left behind. Household disinfectants will kill the virus but in places like West Africa where sanitation can be poor it is deemed that burning is a safer option.

You mean the Cozumel official who over-reacted to a non-existent threat?

Quoting directly from the World Health Organisation fact sheet:

"The incubation period, or the time interval from infection to onset of symptoms, is from 2 to 21 days. The patients become contagious once they begin to show symptoms. They are not contagious during the incubation period."

Burning the belongings of an Ebola victim is done because the virus can survive for days in the bodily fluids left behind. Household disinfectants will kill the virus but in places like West Africa where sanitation can be poor it is deemed that burning is a safer option.

Because the CDC has done such a poor job so far, you can believe what they say, I will be more skeptical about transmission. It's here in the US and from what you say it can live anywhere because nothing has been excluded from where it can live from what I have seen.

What exactly are 'belongings' ?