Sitting with strangers in the MDR

sapphire_407

So if you book traditional dining you cannot just get a table for two?

You can get that table for two IF there are sufficient tables for two to accommodate all who request a table for two. If, say, 30 guests request a two-top and the MDR has 20 two-tops, 10 guests are going to have to make do with sharing with 1, 2, or up to 6 others… As one who nows goes it alone (no more hubby), I find that it appears that a line would rather not give a single a two-top, but wants to have that solo fill in at another larger table. That's what turned me off.

You can get that table for two IF there are sufficient tables for two to accommodate all who request a table for two. If, say, 30 guests request a two-top and the MDR has 20 two-tops, 10 guests are going to have to make do with sharing with 1, 2, or up to 6 others… As one who nows goes it alone (no more hubby), I find that it appears that a line would rather not give a single a two-top, but wants to have that solo fill in at another larger table. That's what turned me off.

That would upset me also. A person who wishes to dine alone should have the option to do so.

A stranger is only a friend you haven't yet met :)

And this is exactly why some of us don't necessarily want to sit with others. We don't necessarily want to make new friends, and find it awkward when people think you are suddenly friends simply because you at together at dinner once.

...and find it awkward when people think you are suddenly friends simply because you at together at dinner once.

Funny, but I've met hundreds of people at dinner while on a cruise and not one has ever wanted to be my friend afterwards.:confused:

;)

We were on HAL, the Nieuw Amsterdam for a 16 day TA in April. We had a very nice table for two in the MDR, late traditional dining. Near us was a gentleman, who had a table for 2 he enjoyed to himself the entire cruise. So I think it is possible for a solo to get a table for 2 but they would need to speak to the Mater'd on the first day they board.

I think some who are criticizing those who want options possibly did not read the OP's posting correctly. Or, maybe I am reading into it. But, I saw it as having cruised on a line that only offered the decades-old tradition of only eating at a specific time, at a specific table, with specific people. I didn't read it as doing away with traditional, but a decision to cruise with a ship that only offered traditional or eat at the Lido or in your room, or a decision to cruise with a ship that offered other options in the MDR setting.

I think ships that only offer traditional seating will die away and will have to go into offering an array of options (which WILL include traditional for the ones that must have regimented meal times with the same people every night;) ).

The offering of dinner options gave me the incentive to start cruising. I had no desire to sit (as a solo traveler) with a group and get grilled on why I'm alone and then get the "you sure are brave to go it alone" or "we have an extra space we're trying to fill on our tour, want to join because it will save us from eating the unfilled seat costs"…

It has nothing to do wanting to travel in a cocoon, away from strangers. It's a desire to have OPTIONS….Apparently, some can't understand that and deem us all social isolationists. Sad….

I guess I did not realize there were any cruises ships cruising today, that did not have lots of options. We cruise Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Cunard primarily... did an NCL as well recently, it was okay, but still had lots of options.

Princess has several ships that offer only TD. The Ocean and the Pacific each have only one dining room and it is used for TD.

The ships based in Australia (Dawn, Sun & Sea) have multiple dining rooms, but all offer TD.

I believe all the other Princess ships offer both TD and AD

"I think some who are criticizing those who want options possibly did not read the OP's posting correctly. Or, maybe I am reading into it. But, I saw it as having cruised on a line that only offered the decades-old tradition of only eating at a specific time, at a specific table, with specific people. I didn't read it as doing away with traditional, but a decision to cruise with a ship that only offered traditional or eat at the Lido or in your room, or a decision to cruise with a ship that offered other options in the MDR setting.

I think ships that only offer traditional seating will die away and will have to go into offering an array of options (which WILL include traditional for the ones that must have regimented meal times with the same people every night;) ).

The offering of dinner options gave me the incentive to start cruising. I had no desire to sit (as a solo traveler) with a group and get grilled on why I'm alone and then get the "you sure are brave to go it alone" or "we have an extra space we're trying to fill on our tour, want to join because it will save us from eating the unfilled seat costs"…

It has nothing to do wanting to travel in a cocoon, away from strangers. It's a desire to have OPTIONS….Apparently, some can't understand that and deem us all social isolationists. Sad…." (the quote button didn't seem to work just now)

I looked at the OP again and I did actually misinterpreted the post to mean poster was not into traditional dining. Yes, there are chances to get a table for two with either assigned or flexible dining...but more likely there will be only so many of these tables in the first type of dining, and most likely you will have a wait for the second type.

We can have our own table by staying home or by going to a restaurant (even though there are some popular eateries we've been to with bench seating that's shared...and those tend to be places at which that's part of the fun). But for those who eating alone is important, request it.

And this is exactly why some of us don't necessarily want to sit with others. We don't necessarily want to make new friends, and find it awkward when people think you are suddenly friends simply because you at together at dinner once.

Why is it that people who do not like traditional assigned dining generally seem to assume that those who do are trying to make friends, or like to be regimented?

So many MTD fans refer to those suppositions: focussing on the negative aspect of the others' --- seemingly unable to understand that many of us simply like interacting with other people with no friend-seking involved. I would not suggest that people who do not like sharing tables are either anti-social or afraid of meeting new people.

I would like to propose that (if this discussion continues) advocates of either dining format stick to what they like about their preference and avoid derogatory references to the personal attitudes of those with a different preference.

Well get a table for 2.

We always do, not because we don't like meeting people and not because we eat like slobs [well the bride doesn't], but because we enjoy that hour or so when it is just us, I'm with the one I love and she's willing to put up with me [maybe that's why she's the one I love].

Why is it that people who do not like traditional assigned dining generally seem to assume that those who do are trying to make friends, or like to be regimented?

So many MTD fans refer to those suppositions: focussing on the negative aspect of the others' --- seemingly unable to understand that many of us simply like interacting with other people with no friend-seking involved. I would not suggest that people who do not like sharing tables are either anti-social or afraid of meeting new people.

I would like to propose that (if this discussion continues) advocates of either dining format stick to what they like about their preference and avoid derogatory references to the personal attitudes of those with a different preference.

Well said.

Thank you! Exactly what I'd have liked to have said ;)

We enjoy the camaraderie that develops at the dinner table after a couple of evenings together. We can all share what we did each day, and in some way, enjoy others' enjoyment of their activities.

We did have one dinner table where one couple was certain that DH and I were unworthy of their attention, but even that became very entertaining for the rest of us :D I wonder to this day if the other tablemates ever shared with that couple what they had learned about us :D

I am also a big fan of the two tops that are only about 6 inches from the next table, because you can still have a chat with the people next to you while you are waiting but then have the "Just us" once service starts, sort of the best of both worlds.

Edited by GUT2407

I like a table for eight in traditional dining. It's big enough to get to enjoy conversations with different people but not so large as to have trouble hearing everyone if you want to. We like to switch seats each night.

We once had a family request to be moved from our table. The reason, though, was that they wanted early seating. We saw them frequently around the ship and got to hang out with them some after they got their request.

I guess I did not realize there were any cruises ships cruising today, that did not have lots of options. We cruise Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Cunard primarily... did an NCL as well recently, it was okay, but still had lots of options.

Disney only offers traditional (plus the buffet and specialty) while most of the luxury lines only offer open seating.

Well get a table for 2.

We always do, not because we don't like meeting people and not because we eat like slobs [well the bride doesn't], but because we enjoy that hour or so when it is just us, I'm with the one I love and she's willing to put up with me [maybe that's why she's the one I love].

The problem is that there often aren't enough tables for two to go around on ships with only traditional dining.

For telling it like it is? It seems that I'm not the one imposing myself on others. Just the opposite, actually.

For Goodness sake...it's a saying, a light-hearted comment. Geez, I'm not suggesting you become Bosom Buddies with people instantly. Don't take things so seriously.

For Goodness sake...it's a saying, a light-hearted comment. Geez, I'm not suggesting you become Bosom Buddies with people instantly. Don't take things so seriously.

You seem to be missing the point. Unfortunately there are many people who do seem to think that because you shared a table or sat next to each other on a tender that you are immediately friends. IMHO, the word friend is used far too liberally. It seems some people consider anyone they remotely have had contact with to be a friend.

You seem to be missing the point. Unfortunately there are many people who do seem to think that because you shared a table or sat next to each other on a tender that you are immediately friends. IMHO, the word friend is used far too liberally. It seems some people consider anyone they remotely have had contact with to be a friend.

Yes..we get the message..you like a table for 2. End of!