Stateroom attendants dishonesty

Guern69

Yes a drink could have been his but I was billed and $9.50 for something/s I didn't use and have the evidence to back this up. It seemed to me one heck of a coincidence that a drink was left in the fridge and I was billed.

It doesn't seem like much of a coincidence to me. The amount of the drink is significantly less than the charge, so the charge would relate to something else.

Perhaps it is multiple drinks, but then that's still not the same as the single drink so comes across as a different matter rather than a coincidence.

We have been charged for mini bar usage we did not use. We had the charges removed. On almost every cruise I have a couple of charges investigated. Most are due to having the how the charge is listed and every once in awhile it is a real error.

As an example the charge will be made to bar I have not been to, but the item was picked up elsewhere.

Because the Op says it was a first cruise, I wanted to add this stuff is normal.

This story reminds me of my in-laws who on a Celebrity cruise with us a few years ago could not find a pair of pants that had been pressed and returned to the cabin on a hanger. Two (2) days were spent off and on searching for the pants in the cabin. As with the OP, the in-laws assumed it must have been the cabin steward who took the pants.

When I hear stories that the cabin steward "took something," I just don't buy into that thinking, there is/was no proof. No cabin steward will place their job or customer satisfaction on the line for something of minimal value.

The pants were located - they had fallen fell behind the dresser.

Back to the OP's issue, I found a can of soda opened (among a case) in the trunk of my car yesterday. I certainly didn't open it. Could it have been a defective can?

Enjoy cruising and don't sweat the little stuff. Please don't stiff the staff of their gratuities.

Very strange post.

I would never assume a cabin steward drank part of a drink either.... after 50+ cruises on 9 different lines over 30 years.... this just does not make sense.

Once we had a charge on our account that did not make sense to me... questioned it, did find a bar manager adjusted a receipt upwards because the wine menu had old prices on it. I objected to this practice and Customer Serviced adjusted my bill to the amount that we had signed for which was what I expected.

Once we were charged for two drinks that we never ordered, we had that corrected, no problem.

We tipped just as we would have, would not have dreamed of reducing tips for a few mistakes that were easily corrected.

Very strange.... I can't imagine asking a Room Steward about such a thing.

I think that the OP should be given a break.

They have stated clearly several times that this was their first cruise, also that they asked for the drinks to be removed BUT NOT ALL DRINKS WERE REMOVED. They have stated several times that they pre paid the tips but WERE GOING TO GIVE A SMALL ADDITONAL TIP AND DID NOT hence why are you saying they stiffed the attendant $100.00????

I am guessing that the £9.50 was for several drinks over the cruise not just the club soda.

I have never had my mini bar locked.

I do think that the OP over reacted and as some people have stated just get the charge removed which they did. To the OP no I would not take this any further as you don't know all the facts you are not out of pocket and you received an appology. End of story

They have stated clearly several times that this was their first cruise, also that they asked for the drinks to be removed BUT NOT ALL DRINKS WERE REMOVED. They have stated several times that they pre paid the tips but WERE GOING TO GIVE A SMALL ADDITONAL TIP AND DID NOT hence why are you saying they stiffed the attendant $100.00????

I am guessing that the £9.50 was for several drinks over the cruise not just the club soda.

I do think that the OP over reacted and as some people have stated just get the charge removed which they did. To the OP no I would not take this any further as you don't know all the facts you are not out of pocket and you received an appology. End of story

Hoorah! A sensible post.

In fairness to the OP, some of the staff on board are dishonest.

According to the Sun Sentinel newspaper, HuanHuan Shen was arrested when the Celebrity Eclipse cruise ship returned to Port Everglades on Saturday. He is accused of stealing cash from two crew members who he shared a cabin with on the cruise ship.

The newspaper states that Shen opened safes in his cabin and took $4,600 belonging to cabin mate Yang Zhang and $3,300 from cabin-mate Zhibao Dong for a total of $7,900.

Most Chinese ship employees on Celebrity cruise ships are employed in the laundry department earning only around $1,000 a month.

This was in April 2013

At the very least I wish the hosts would rename this thread because it is accusing, without proof, someone who can not defend themselves.

I am not saying the OP didn't find the open can but they have NO IDEA who did it, or if perhaps it was a can that BELONGED to the attendant, that perhaps they brought it with them from their quarters because they get thirsty doing their job and FORGOT to take with them when they moved onto the next room...and the $9.50 charge was strictly coincidental.... and anyway it was refunded..so the OP is out NOTHING and chose to punish the, most likely, innocent stateroom attendant whom the OP said did a great job up till then. I hope they only kept the "extra tip" they planned to give and did not have normal tips removed from the account too...that is not clear thus far.

I feel terrible for the attendant, as while I believe the OP found the item I do not believe the attendant stole it, how STUPID would that be to risk your job over a soda that they can get for less than a $1.00 in the employee quarters....

Why are we always so quick to lay blame without knowing what happened.....?

Please host rename this thread, it casts a pallor on all stateroom attendants who work their rears off cleaning up after all of us lucky enough to be on a ship....

Edited by Gracie115

How does the OP not know that the can had been put there as a plant by a supervisor to check if the stateroom bar server who tops up the minibars did a proper check on changeover day.

OP acted absolutely inappropriately in my opinion and should have handled to issue on board directly rather than in an overt underhand manner (denying someone hard earned tips) then rather than raise the issue onboard they hide behind anonymity on these boards.

I have never seen anything other than unscrupulous honesty in my stateroom attendants even to the extent of them retrieving items I had deliberately discarded from the bin in case I had made a mistake

All very OTT! Where does $100 come from?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All very OTT! Where does $100 come from?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really have you not read some of theses posts ?? Try reading post 45 & 48

Just my opinion and personality but I would never stiff anyone out of 100 dollars or so for a 2 dollar can of coke.

and also

sounds like someone who simply does not want to pay his gratuity and has made up a reason not to.

IMO you owe your room steward $100.

At no point has the OP said they removed the pre paid gratuity.

I recently throughly enjoyed my first Cruise with Celebrity but the holiday was slightly marred by what happened on the last full day.

On the final evening the Cabin Steward asked if he could turn down the room just as I was heading out, I returned within 30 mins to put some water in the fridge. I noticed a can of drink had been opened and partially drunk/emptied. Is this usual practice to earn a little bit extra? This left a bitter taste in the mouth, which was soon sorted by Customer Services but really was a dishonest thing to do. It also cost him his tip as there was no way he was going to get that after his dishonest behaviour. I wonder if he did this to anyone else?

Is it worth contacting Celebrity direct as apart from apologising and refunding the money there was little else Customer Services could do. But dishonestly should be punished?

This is the craziest thing!

The exact same thing happened to us.

We returned to our room to find an opened can of Royal Club Soda on the counter.

We had definitely not opened it, and the stateroom attendant had locked the door on the mini bar.

We phoned the attendant straight away, and he said "oh, I thought it was yours"

We told him it was definitely not, and we would be checking to make sure we weren't billed for it.

Also he spilled half of my bottle of champagne and didn't even tell me until I questioned him about it.

We were quite shocked, that was our 4th cruise with Celebrity and we have never had any problems with any of our attendants.

I thought it was just a couple of mistakes, but your story has made me wonder now!

We were in 1144 on deck 10, and our attendants name started with a G.

Please let me know which cabin you were as it may be a problem that needs reporting.

I did mention both problems with the attendant when I completed the survey .

And quite frankly I find a lot of posters replies to the OP are pretty rude and offensive.

I don't understand why some of you are so small minded.

This was the OPs first Celebrity cruise, and they had a suspicion that this event was a little strange,so they were wondering if anybody else had ever experienced the same situation.

This was my fourth with Celebrity so I am not a complete newbie, and knew for sure it was very strange behaviour.

And it is just as well they posted their experience as it does indicate that it wasn't just a one off mistake and it should be investigated by Celebrity.

And quite frankly I find a lot of posters replies to the OP are pretty rude and offensive.

I don't understand why some of you are so small minded.

This was the OPs first Celebrity cruise, and they had a suspicion that this event was a little strange,so they were wondering if anybody else had ever experienced the same situation.

Then why state that the stateroom attendant was dishonest, as per the title?

Your version doesn't tell the whole story.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

It is most unfortunate that this incident happened. You did though contact Guest Relations and the matter was dealt with. As a cruise passenger, you would not be privy to any discipline matters imposed against any crew members due to any performance matters. These matters are a private concern between the employer and employee and will not be shared with you even if you decide to pursue the matter further with X.

I'd happily share my cabin details with you privately but can't message you. For obvious reasons I'd rather not post the details openly although I can say I was on deck 7.

Thanks

What difference does it make if you post your cabin number for a cruise that's finished?

We have always asked that the mini bar be emptied; sometimes the drinks are put on a shelve in the cabin ( think that was on Royal), sometimes in a container under the bed, sometimes removed from the cabin.

We have never had a problem with a stateroom attendant taking anything, in fact often they leave our partially consumed beverages from the previous evening- not wanting to toss a drink we might want.

These jobs are very important to the attendants many of whom are supporting families at home & it would make no sense to risk their job for a can or 2 of soda. Could it be that the billing was an error when the mini bars were inventoried; transposed cabin #, input error??

Perhaps a different take on this... and I may be wildly off base.

Club Soda is a well known for it's cleaning properties. Everything from carpet and counters to stainless steel. Is there a chance this cabin attendant was using it for that purpose? Given another forum member also mentioned an open Club Soda it seems that either this may be a use for it or the crew have a love of Club Soda :p

I've tried to follow all the math surrounding this and am not sure where all the $ came from and whether or not the OP was actually charged for this soda as 30 minutes would probably be too quick for it to show up on his/her bill.

To the OP, sorry people are jumping on you but many of us here take the "don't sweat the small stuff" approach to life and cruising. Take the negative comments with a grain of salt but at the same time try to pack this one away into the "small stuff" category and move on.

Perhaps a different take on this... and I may be wildly off base.

Club Soda is a well known for it's cleaning properties. Everything from carpet and counters to stainless steel. Is there a chance this cabin attendant was using it for that purpose? Given another forum member also mentioned an open Club Soda it seems that either this may be a use for it or the crew have a love of Club Soda :p

I've tried to follow all the math surrounding this and am not sure where all the $ came from and whether or not the OP was actually charged for this soda as 30 minutes would probably be too quick for it to show up on his/her bill.

To the OP, sorry people are jumping on you but many of us here take the "don't sweat the small stuff" approach to life and cruising. Take the negative comments with a grain of salt but at the same time try to pack this one away into the "small stuff" category and move on.

Interesting theory and sound advise. The amount would be on the statement a soon as it was entered. In this case it would have been entered by the Stateroom Attendant. Why would they call attention to the soda by billing it if they took it? One would think that they would simply take it and replace it with another. Makes no sense to me. The OP may be correct, misstating the facts, confused, or just having some fun. Who knows? Certainly not me.

This thread is a perfect example why these boards can be TERRIBLE. Most of the people posting haven't even read all the OP's posts and further explanations and are so fast to blame the OP as being dishonest or a drunk. I get so mad when ppl can't just listen and respond to the question or issue without jumping in and saying "I've cruised 6 billion times and left 6 billion in cash around the room and my cabin attendant has been like a fair godmother who is so deserving of tips that even if she poops on my face I know that she deserves 6 billion dollars in tips - no questions asked."

No one is infallible. A little more respect for an OP who has stuck around to explain the situation, I believe, is warranted. This isn't some one post wonder troll.

Edited by kingsgirl