Live from Explorer's 14 Night Repositioning S. Caribbean cruise to Port Canaveral

Posted to FB a few minutes ago:

"I'm on-board Explorer now. Yes, the ship was struck by what the Captain called a 'rouge wave' early this morning. He indicated that the wave was in excess of 10 meters. Struck the port side. One of the lifeboats (I believe it was Muster Station #20 or #21) was partially dislodged, fell, struck the outside promenade deck (Deck 4) and was damaged. Additionally, water came in the doors near the aft elevators, washed across the interior of Deck 4, drained down the elevator shaft areas and caused a disruption of the aft elevators. They were shut down for repairs, but are back on line at this time. No one was injured, but those passengers assigned to that lifeboat will be assigned to a different boat. Captain said there was no cause for alarm regarding lifeboats, as the ship is registered to hold over 3,800 guests and there currently less than 3,100 on-board.

Very rough night at sea last night, lots of 'rocking' and rolling', but seas are much calmer now and the ship is getting back to smooth sailing."

"I'm on-board Explorer now. Yes, the ship was struck by what the Captain called a 'rouge wave' early this morning. He indicated that the wave was in excess of 10 meters. Struck the port side. One of the lifeboats (I believe it was Muster Station #20 or #21) was partially dislodged, fell, struck the outside promenade deck (Deck 4) and was damaged. Additionally, water came in the doors near the aft elevators, washed across the interior of Deck 4, drained down the elevator shaft areas and caused a disruption of the aft elevators. They were shut down for repairs, but are back on line at this time. No one was injured, but those passengers assigned to that lifeboat will be assigned to a different boat. Captain said there was no cause for alarm regarding lifeboats, as the ship is registered to hold over 3,800 guests and there currently less than 3,100 on-board.

Very rough night at sea last night, lots of 'rocking' and rolling', but seas are much calmer now and the ship is getting back to smooth sailing."

That's good to hear

Thanks for the update. Good to hear things are improving

some on posted on the FB page that Explorer was hit with a wave that damaged life boats and some elevators...is any of this true?

Yes, true. I am currently on the Explorer.

It was really very ROUGH last night. 40 to 50 knot winds to top the waves. Everything was banging and moving around. VERY rough night.

At around 5 am we were hit by a rogue wave that took out 2 lifeboats and soaked deck 4. Back elevators were out.

At this time one elevator bank is working and the other is being worked on. Everyone is fine. No water on deck 4 now...they took care of it. The outside decks are closed due to really strong winds.

The captain announced this in the morning. It is still really very rough but not as much as the night. It is supposed to continue till noon tomorrow. But all is OK. All are safe and everything is as normal. Formal night is tonight. There is no problem with electronics or I would not have been able to post!