Am considering not using Royal in the future.

PEACE39742

Another way is to OPEN the suitcases to make them flatter and slide them under totally opened. ;)

LuLu

That is not an option that I prefer to do... I'm always afraid that I'd be taking home some critter in the suitcase. If I can't fit it under the bed, I put it in the closet.

How does a 20 minute show take away hours of quiet enjoyment?:confused: I found there was still quiet time with maybe some soft rock bands and the delightful Evergreen Trio with easy listening music and light dance music in the Centrum.:)

I will suggest that the quiet time is replaced by people crowding into the centrum to stake out their spot for the short aerial show. They arrive an hour or more, usually more, ahead of time. This makes the centrum to be not the quiet, relaxed, uncrowded place it used to be. I've seen it happen.

Centrums aren't what they used to be. I find it very difficult to hear anything at guest services or in the loyalty ambassadors office if it's on a ship where it's located just off the centrum. Some ships do have loud music going on for hours of the day or night in the centrum.

I've been very disappointed in the aerial shows. They are no big deal and they are difficult to see if you don't arrive early to get a spot out from under an overhang. In my opinion, they aren't worth the time to do this. I find another quiet place while the crowds are there.

How does a 20 minute show take away hours of quiet enjoyment?:confused: I found there was still quiet time with maybe some soft rock bands and the delightful Evergreen Trio with easy listening music and light dance music in the Centrum.:)

The space has been changed to accommodate the crowds and the show. No more grand glass staircase, waterfall/fountains, soaring artwork, etc. Now it's just a big empty space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...Centrums aren't what they used to be. I find it very difficult to hear anything at guest services or in the loyalty ambassadors office if it's on a ship where it's located just off the centrum. Some ships do have loud music going on for hours of the day or night in the centrum. ...

I've had the same experience.

all of those issues are minor, IMNSHO and not worth leaving a company I have established a relationship with.

I agree these are small issues and would not be worth a second thought for me. However, for the OP they are large issues. Like others, I would recommend trying Celebrity. I have sailed them and Princess and still prefer Royal, but each to their own. Or try a different class of ship in the Royal family, such as the Radiance class. I have found that the quality of food varies from ship to ship. I like the food but that alone does not make or break a cruise for me.

My wife and I were on the same cruise. We were also surprised that they showed movies two nights rather than have a live performance (one movie was 56 years old - Gigi).

We had a lot of maintenance problems in our cabin. Couldn't get the heat turned off the first few days - we had to open the balcony door to cool down the room. The last two days, there was no heat at all and maintenance never came to fix the problem. No sewer odor but we saw crew cleaning out the sewage lines a couple of times because people were flushing things that shouldn't go into a toilet.

That said, we found the staff to be absolutely outstanding. Our cabin steward was great. So was our waiter, assistant waiter, and head waiter. Everywhere we went, we were met with smiles and hellos.

We found the food to be as good or better than we have had on any other ships.

Were we a little disappointed with the cabin maintenance on this cruise - yes. Will we stop sailing on RCI - no. In fact, we are on another cruise in January, which we booked after this one.

Edited by fred111

My wife and I were on the same cruise. We were also surprised that they showed movies two nights rather than have a live performance (one movie was 56 years old - Gigi).

We had a lot of maintenance problems in our cabin. Couldn't get the heat turned off the first few days - we had to open the balcony door to cool down the room. The last two days, there was no heat at all and maintenance never came to fix the problem. No sewer odor but we saw crew cleaning out the sewage lines a couple of times because people were flushing things that shouldn't go into a toilet.

That said, we found the staff to be absolutely outstanding. Our cabin steward was great. So was our waiter, assistant waiter, and head waiter. Everywhere we went, we were met with smiles and hellos.

We found the food to be as good or better than we have had on any other ships.

Were we a little disappointed with the cabin maintenance on this cruise - yes. Will we stop sailing on RCI - no. In fact, we are on another cruise in January, which we booked after this one.

Thank you for sharing your impressions.

Might the "movie nights" have been fillers when the planned show was cancelled? If the main event had to be canceled due to rough seas, illness, stage equipment issues, unexpected entertainer absence, etc, a cruise director may have felt the need to put something, anything on the schedule in the theater those nights. If so, pickings must have been thin if he selected a 56 year old movie! Multiple issues for the CD to have such slim choices?

I am sorry to hear that maintenance disappointed you. Your attitude seems exceptional; I might have been more than a little disappointed in the maintenance staff. glad the good points outweighed that disappointment.

I'm a little disappointed that the OP has not returned to the thread that he started, I would like to hear what he thinks of these responses. We have sailed on Legend several times, beginning in 2003, and ending in 2013. It is an older ship, and the plumbing issues are not going to improve much, if at all.

Having said that, we are recently back from Brilliance, where for 18 days we had intermittent toilet problems. (One breakdown was almost ship-wide for about 8 hours.) We reported the issues each time, and maintenance was able to repair our system each time, albeit temporarily. When we ultimately brought the issue up with an officer, we were appropriately taken care of.

So, "ship" happens, regardless of age and class. While we would not leave RCI over this issue, perhaps it's a good idea for those who are disillusioned with RCI to try other cruise lines, at least for comparison purposes.

Edited by travelgoddess1

I think everybody should step away from their "loyal" company every now and then. If for no other reason, just to see if that loyal is justifed.

The OP felt let down by this cruise. We might not all agree with their reasons, but the fact is they felt let down. Probably a good time to try another line.

The one area I can see where the OP needed assistance in getting their luggage under the bed, was not being able to lift the bed. If one is elderly or has back problems then lifting the bed to have someone put the luggage under it might be difficult for them. We have encountered the oders but not enough to want to move to another line.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

OP, I enjoyed many great cruises on RCI and then took a 9-nighter on Explorer out of Bayonne. It was my least favorite cruise and I was dissatisfied on many levels. But not enough to get me to book somewhere else...I just decided I would not book older ships because we enjoy the newer ones and the features that RCI offers.

If you still enjoy the product why not try another RCI ship rather than cutting your ties. Or if you do indeed feel that strongly that RCI offers an experience that is no longer a good fit for you and your wife then venture out to see if there is another line more to your liking. Life is too short...;)

What were you expecting them to do with your empty suit cases?

From his comment I would expect that he was looking for help in lifting the bed enough to slide the suit cases past the rail. I based this on the additional line that he ended up doing it himself with the help of his wife.

What were you expecting them to do with your empty suit cases?

Put them under the bed. As someone else said, lifting the bed can pose a problem for some people.

OOPS, someone beat me to it.;):)

Edited by iheartbda

My husband is beginning to have issues climbing and going down stairs, so should someone see others exiting Deck 11 in the elevator to go to deck 10 it may not be because the person is lazy, but has mobility problems, back, knees etc yet not needing a wheelchair. If I am out and about I will use the stairs. Lifting beds can also be a problem for some and they need assistance.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

I would only dump a cruise line if I experience consistently poor service. I have sailed many times. Most are good experiences, but a few have been not so good. I look at the overall service rather than single out a single cruise to hell and back. Stuff happens. If I have ideas that would help make the cruise better for all Customers in the future, I always let management know. Either while on the ship, or through the post cruise survey.

I agree. Some recent threads have listed issues with various cruises that I would consider deal breakers. However, the above wouldn't be deal breakers for me. To each his own, I guess.

The issues on my last two RCI cruises that have me on the fence about returning involve awful customer service from the waiters as well as cabin attendants. If the staff don't care about the passengers, then the passengers will go elsewhere. I'm giving them another shot next year, so the staff on the Serenade need to step it up a notch for me to continue to sail with Royal.

Will be on serenade next year as well! I'm sure they will be awesome! It is what you make it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Centrums aren't what they used to be. I find it very difficult to hear anything at guest services or in the loyalty ambassadors office if it's on a ship where it's located just off the centrum. Some ships do have loud music going on for hours of the day or night in the centrum.

I've had the same experience.

I agree. On some ships even the 24 hour piped in music is loud. And one time we booked a cabin close to the Centrum, won't do that again. Very noisy for us non late night folks;)

We've laid out suitcases flat under the bed many times.. Never came home with "critters".

That is not an option that I prefer to do... I'm always afraid that I'd be taking home some critter in the suitcase. If I can't fit it under the bed, I put it in the closet.

We had no problems getting "too large" suitcases under the bed. Just had to put them under from the sides not the foot of the bed.

As far as the two movies. The CD said it was an option that they had. They didn't plan any other shows and nothing was cancelled.

I've got to say again, and again --- the crew were great. They were happy to be heading south after our cruise. They were looking forward to warm weather.

I'm a little disappointed that the OP has not returned to the thread that he started, I would like to hear what he thinks of these responses. We have sailed on Legend several times, beginning in 2003, and ending in 2013. It is an older ship, and the plumbing issues are not going to improve much, if at all.

Having said that, we are recently back from Brilliance, where for 18 days we had intermittent toilet problems. (One breakdown was almost ship-wide for about 8 hours.) We reported the issues each time, and maintenance was able to repair our system each time, albeit temporarily. When we ultimately brought the issue up with an officer, we were appropriately taken care of.

So, "ship" happens, regardless of age and class. While we would not leave RCI over this issue, perhaps it's a good idea for those who are disillusioned with RCI to try other cruise lines, at least for comparison purposes.

Karen, you are quite right about the Legend, as we have cruised on her, also starting in 2003, and ending last year after her refit.

And we have left Royal Caribbean, to cruise on different lines, and different itineraries. Unlike you, we are not "married" to one cruise line, but prefer to try others, and have more booked in the future.

That does not make us unloyal to Royal.....just broadens our experience.

Happy Thanksgiving to Pete and yourself.

Rick

Karen, you are quite right about the Legend, as we have cruised on her, also starting in 2003, and ending last year after her refit.

And we have left Royal Caribbean, to cruise on different lines, and different itineraries. Unlike you, we are not "married" to one cruise line, but prefer to try others, and have more booked in the future.

That does not make us unloyal to Royal.....just broadens our experience.

Happy Thanksgiving to Pete and yourself.

Rick

Hear, hear! :)