Tipping at Crown Grill

Pier Pressure 53

What would be the typical and or correct tip amount at the Crown Grill. On our first cruise ever last month I tipped $15, and was not sure if that was too little, too much or just right??

John

Just right IMO. I usually tip between $10-$20 for 2.

I've always left a cash tip of $20 when eating in any of the speciality restaurants.. I specified cash as I want the server to be able to keep the entire amount. If you merely add a tip amount to the "bill", that amount goes into the tip pool and the waiter might get a small piece of the tip pie.

That's too bad that you had different treatment based on your cabin location. I've stayed in all sorts of cabins, from obscured outside to suites, and I guess I've been lucky, cause I've never felt like they wanted to look in my bank book before they decided how to treat me.

M.

When we stay in suites we note that they give extra nice treatment (yes, there is a difference) so we always tip $20 for the 2 of us.

The "fee" includes tip...so whatever you give above that amount is generous!

The wait staff in the specialty restaurants are included in the "autotip", so there is no obligation to tip extra just because you are paying extra for the meal. Of course an extra tip for great service is always appreciated.

The "fee" for the specialty restaurant does not include any tip according to a person in charge of ship's payroll on a recent cruise.

What would be the typical and or correct tip amount at the Crown Grill. On our first cruise ever last month I tipped $15, and was not sure if that was too little, too much or just right??

John

Nothing. The tip is already built in to the cover charge.

I've always left a cash tip of $20 when eating in any of the speciality restaurants.. I specified cash as I want the server to be able to keep the entire amount. If you merely add a tip amount to the "bill", that amount goes into the tip pool and the waiter might get a small piece of the tip pie.

I always leave $20.00 for the two of us. There were a couple of times I've tipped more.....:):):)

Bob

When we stay in suites we note that they give extra nice treatment (yes, there is a difference) so we always tip $20 for the 2 of us.

I've stayed in both suites and non suites and never noticed any differences.....:confused::confused::confused:

Bob

I can't say I've ever noticed any difference, indeed I am not even sure that a waiter would know what sort of room you had............................. in the past I have occasionally had crew ask me when chatting socially what sort of room I had, they didn't know from my card or room number even.

Apart from the cabin stewards - who would know - not many of the others get to the accommodation decks.

However if it makes for a happier cruise experience for someone to think that they are "special" by virtue of having paid 10 x as much for a suite as an inside then go for it.

Keeps the cheap seats cheap for me.

Oh, and I leave $10 for two usually, or $20 if I don't get charged corkage - happens sometimes.

Edited by Griller

We have always received excellent service at both the Crown Grill and Sabatinis. We leave a tip of $10-$20 in cash.

I would hope since we are all lucky enough to be able to enjoy a cruise that we would all extend a gratuity to those who work hard and make your vacation extra special.

Edited by dandonna

I have been told by the staff there NOT to tip at the specialty restaurant because it's already covered. This was 4 years ago so perhaps something has changed since then? I am an over-tipper for good service so I would want to hear from others confirming this. I might even call princess. I will share if I call :)

The "fee" for the specialty restaurant does not include any tip according to a person in charge of ship's payroll on a recent cruise.

I have been told it was. This from the waiter and the Head Waiter in the speciality dining room.

They did tell me if they tipped, if it was cash, they kept it, if it was on the slip, it was put into a pool.

I still tipped.

Edited by Coral

The service is usually top notch in the specialty restaurants so we try to remember to bring cash for the tip. We generally go to the Crown Grill a couple of times on a cruise and if the first waiter was especially good we ask for them again. I don't really care if the tip is included or not. If it's shared then our waiter would get very little and that's why we give cash. Each to their own.