Explorer Propulsion Issue

kruzerci

Onboard the Explorer, just out of the muster drill. Our itinerary was altered a week prior to departure with no explanation given. We received a letter at check in advising us of a late departure from Port Canaveral today and an unscheduled overnight stay in Nassau later this week.

The captain explained that the shaft seal on the starboard azipod is needs to be replaced in order to prevent further damage. To clarify and rumors or concerns about future sailings, the repairs are expected to be completed in Nassau.

We're disappointed about our altered sailing and late departure, but we're excited to be onboard and are expected to have perfect weather all week. Will post an update if the status changes.

Do they have an estimated departure time. Is that why you weren't in the usual RCI terminal?

Roy

We have no idea why we are using terminal six. We heard talk of needing to alternate terminals based on cruise length to even out the parking decks, however nothing official. Very strange having Royal Caribbean using a typical Carnival terminal and vice versa, but aside from the disorganized drop off area, the embarkation was fine.

Thanks for the heads up as I was hoping to catch sail away! (we were on her for the repositioning cruise and am wishing we were back on her!)

Off topic but we had the best wait staff this last cruise! If you see Dario (head waiter), Sunny or Paul (who is from Jamaica), tell them Jenn & Olivia say hi! :D

We were on the Explorer for a B2B in August and September. While we were in Bermuda, they were removing propellers and working on her the full time. We were able to make all of our ports on the New England Cruise because they are so close together. Bermuda was good too, with no loss of time there. They must be sure the Explorer is OK to cruise on since they have been doing work on the "propulsion problem" since before we boarded on August 28th. She really needs her dry dock to fix these problems permanently.

Onboard the Explorer, just out of the muster drill. Our itinerary was altered a week prior to departure with no explanation given. We received a letter at check in advising us of a late departure from Port Canaveral today and an unscheduled overnight stay in Nassau later this week.

The captain explained that the shaft seal on the starboard azipod is needs to be replaced in order to prevent further damage. To clarify and rumors or concerns about future sailings, the repairs are expected to be completed in Nassau.

We're disappointed about our altered sailing and late departure, but we're excited to be onboard and are expected to have perfect weather all week. Will post an update if the status changes.

We were told last week that the fixipod (center motor) had it's prop removed a while back. I would think that the loss of either of the remaining two azipods would make it impossible to make the current itineraries.

We were told last week that the fixipod (center motor) had it's prop removed a while back. I would think that the loss of either of the remaining two azipods would make it impossible to make the current itineraries.

The 9 day ones or the 5 day or both?

What was the original itinerary and what is the new one. Thanks.

Have a wonderful cruise

M

Here's what appears to be the new itinerary I got online but I couldn't find the original one since this cruise has started. It wasn't even in the 2014/2015 RCI cruise planner catalog I have. Mentioned above was the lost of a sea day.

attachment.php?attachmentid=333868&d=1418607281

ExpDec14.jpg.97a357980b1c9525f53c2c3db0112fda.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

That was my first reaction too -- the center pod is already offline. I doubt running on one azipod is a viable long term solution.

In August 2013 one of the Celebrity M class ships, Millennium, lost one of its two azipods in Alaska, the USCG would not allow it to carry passengers any further to the end of that cruise in Steward due to the fact it had only one pod that was operating. X had to fly all passengers back from Ketchikan.

That ship then sailed, with crew only, all the way with one pod operating, going through the Panama Canal, to the dry dock in Grand Bahamas for repairs. I believe the five following seven night Alaska cruises were cancelled.

Edited by robtulipe

The 9 day ones or the 5 day or both?

On the 5 day trips she makes the long trek across the Gulf of Mexico to Cozumel. I highly doubt she would venture far from FL if they can't correct the issue this week in Nassau.

Based on available tracking data, Explorer traveled between 15-20 knots on her way to Stirrup Cay, and she's underway to Nassau at 15 knots. I suspect Royal is confident the work will be routine and Explorer will continue on her current itineraries until the scheduled March drydock.

If they can't fix the problem in Nassau it will be interesting to see what they do with her. She has two short trips after the current 5 day voyage and then an 8 night New Years cruise. If she's hampered in any way that trip would surely need to be modified. This is a worst case but who knows now a days. If need be I could see Royal babying her along through December and pulling her out of the water in early January to fix the issue.

When I was on at the time, the new Royal Princess the Capt was asked why isn't Princess using Pods. He had a simple answer, we think the old prop and shaft is much more reliable. With all the problems on Celebrity and RCCL I think he had a valid point. For example right now RCCL has at least 2 ships with Pod issues. I know they are great when they work but the maintenance issues make you wonder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD