Too Early to Book?

LuCruise

Looking at a cruise for April 2016. Considering it's only Dec 2014, is it way too early to book? i feel crazy locking in a trip that far in advance (and so want to tell my kids but that would be torture of them asking for 16 months when we're going).

PS - Posting another thread about months for travelling as an aside sicne not 100% sure at this point

Edited by LuCruise

Looking at a cruise for April 2016. Considering it's only Dec 2014, is it way too early to book? i feel crazy locking in a trip that far in advance (and so want to tell my kids but that would be torture of them asking for 16 months when we're going).

PS - Posting another thread about months for travelling as an aside sicne not 100% sure at this point

I don't think it's too early. The earlier you book, the better your choice of stateroom. If the price goes down before final payment date, you can get a price drop with some exceptions.

Because of the bogoh I booked 3 cruises including April 2016, you can always get your money back or get it adjusted if rates go down

Do you get 100% of deposit if you cancel within the 75 day range (that number comes to mind but it may be off)

Do you get 100% of deposit if you cancel within the 75 day range (that number comes to mind but it may be off)

If you make a US/Canadian booking, you get 100% of your deposit refunded if you cancel before final payment date. That's generally 75 days before longer cruises and 60 days before shorter cruises.

Edited by clarea

Is the cruise you want available on the schedule? My first choice wasn't, as currently April/May of 2016 seems to be a transitional time for RC. New ships are coming, some are being moved around. My first choice was on the schedule then pulled off. The last time I looked only Oasis and Allure had Caribbean bookings available into May 2016. (I didn't look at Med, or Far east)

I've had good luck booking that far ahead. I've booked at least 4 cruises 500 days ahead or more.

Edited by BillOh

We tend to book 18- 12 months prior to get our choice of cabin, and have rarely seen prices drop, but rather go up (the few during the deep recession in 2008/9 went down and we got the difference before sailing) We've loved having lots of time to plan. The only downside; we have had some cruises get cancelled due to charters when booking that far out, so if you have very young children, you might want to keep it close to the vest till about 6-9 months prior!

The only downside; we have had some cruises get cancelled due to charters when booking that far out, so if you have very young children, you might want to keep it close to the vest till about 6-9 months prior!

The upside to the downside is frequently those people get compensated, but your point about the kids is a good one.

The upside to the downside is frequently those people get compensated, but your point about the kids is a good one.

They don't compensate enough.....

My last bump we got $200 in OBC...but we lost our wraparound aft balcony. Cabin 9256. We are on the hump now. Hope something opens on the aft before final payment.

Not too early in my book. I have two cruises booked for 2017 already, and 3 in 2016 so far:D

Who says you have to tell the kids right when you book, don't tell them until a few months out.

Wow...that's awesome! :D

Yeah...just me wanting to tell our kids to share in the excitement. But when we had booked Disney World in Feb of this year for our Oct trip, we didn't tell them until last week in Aug, which was about 6 weeks before

Is the cruise you want available on the schedule? My first choice wasn't, as currently April/May of 2016 seems to be a transitional time for RC. New ships are coming, some are being moved around. My first choice was on the schedule then pulled off. The last time I looked only Oasis and Allure had Caribbean bookings available into May 2016. (I didn't look at Med, or Far east)

I've had good luck booking that far ahead. I've booked at least 4 cruises 500 days ahead or more.

Yes, the ship/cruise we're looking at is on the Allure, April 2016, Eastern Caribbean. But what do you mean by this? Can these still change?

Btw...if we were to book today, it would be 478 days so close to you. :-)

Don't tell anyone, but I regularly book a short Tampa cruise during my kids Feb vacation week, that I KNOW will be chartered by Ohio State, (it has been twice now) because then they have to offer me another cruise the same week on another ship AND OBC. ;):p Of course I'd rather take the Tampa cruise I booked in the first place since it's closer to moms house in Fl; but by booking early I've been getting the OBC and often a better ship for less, so it's worth the extra couple of hours driving:D