Veendam rescue excitement, January 25, 2015

whogo

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Bit of excitement before dinner. Cruise director Mario made the announcement that we would be aiding the Coast Guard in a rescue mission. More motion was expected while stopped and we were asked to return to our cabins and stay seated. The outside decks were closed off. It was announced before 5:30 that a rescued man was safe aboard a tender which was returning to the Veendam. We could see a parachute rising from the water to starboard, I assume the man had crashed his ultra-light aircraft.

Honolulu news is reporting two different private a/c ran into difficulties and crashed into the ocean. One was near Maui with one person on board and the other off Barber Point on Oahu had four people. I believe all have been rescued. One ran out of fuel and the other had mechanical issues. B

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Honolulu news is reporting two different private a/c ran into difficulties and crashed into the ocean. One was near Maui with one person on board and the other off Barber Point on Oahu had four people. I believe all have been rescued. One ran out of fuel and the other had mechanical issues. B

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks! for the intel

http://www.kitv.com/news/pilot-expected-to-ditch-off-maui/30916578

Here's the link to the the story.

http://m.kcra.com/news/tracy-pilot-runs-out-of-fuel-headed-to-maui-rescued-by-ship/30917638

Glad an HAL ship was nearby. I don't understand how a small plane can miss the mark by so much. Don't they do their homework (former math teacher)? The last plane ditch in October 2011 missed the Big Island by 13 miles!

I have to admit that the trade winds have been pretty strong the past few days.

Cirrus Airframe Parachute System; probably saved that pilot's life, or at least made for a softer, more stable landing in the open ocean

Cirrus%20SR-22_zpsrdpyiwgh.jpg

Cirrus SR-22

Cirrus%20Airframe%20Parachute%20System_zpse59hhf8z.jpg

CAPS

Too bad they can't attach a parachute like this to commercial planes!

The plane was being ferried (flown) from California with extra fuel tanks. The pilot had ditch, not because he ran out of fuel, but because the fuel tank valves failed to operate. Navigation was not an issue.

igraf

... I don't understand how a small plane can miss the mark by so much. Don't they do their homework (former math teacher)? The last plane ditch in October 2011 missed the Big Island by 13 miles!

I have to admit that the trade winds have been pretty strong the past few days.

Edited by igraf

Thanks for the video link VTcruisenut! THat aircraft was going nose down to the drink before that parachute fully deployed

Just an awesome job by everyone involved; the pilot of the Cirrus aircraft by being prepared (life vest and life raft), the Coasties out of NAS Barbers Point, Hi (great video capture by the air crewman in the HC-130 Herc), and by the captain and crew of the VEDM, especially the rescue boat crew for a smooth rescue! All those hours drilling paid off here!. Bravo Zulu!