What proof do you need to have a service dog on Celebrity?

C Cruise Dude

I did not read the previous thread, but just a observation if you see a younger person with no obvious disabilities the dog might be for his PSTD, just a fyi as a former member.

They really do help with rehabilitation.

I just did a Google search and found some interesting articles. One of them was entitled " How to take your Dog Anywhere How to Make your Dog a Service Dog". Not only can you get papers, tags but you can get him a life vest while you are at it. I will admit we do not have a dog due to family allergies. What I am curious is where would you take your dog to relieve himself? It's not like you would have a tree nearby. Seems to me like a lot of extra work. Would certainly not want to be on a balcony underneath Fido! :D

Didn't mean my comment to be a slam against your comment. I was just trying bring up that many people think that they are protected by that act by just claiming that it is a therapy animal and can't be asked for papers. Sorry for the confusion.

happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Your comment was on target. No one has issues with true service dogs, the people with therapy dogs are the problem. On our last cruise there was a dog walking around wearing glasses. I doubt that animal was anything more than a pet.

Our beautiful little cat performs great service by keeping us feeling loved and warming my feet at night as she sleeps on our bed. Typically we pay our house-sitter $500 per vacation to stay here and look after her. So I can bring her along, cool, that $500 can get us into Aqua Class.

I don't believe cats are covered by the ADA laws...however if you happen to have two service miniature horses...I think you're OK.

I think this thread is going to or definitely should disappear.....

Actually, dogs, cats, monkeys, horses are all covered by the ADA.

I understand that most of you think this is a joke and that many do abuse it because you don't legally have to provide any documentation except with airlines. They can question more intensely and if there is a question in their minds, they can ask for documentation.

We have two service animals and are weighing the pros and cons of taking them on the cruise. I'm really nervous about the idea of traveling without them.

I understand that most of you think this is a joke and that many do abuse it because you don't legally have to provide any documentation except with airlines. They can question more intensely and if there is a question in their minds, they can ask for documentation.

We have two service animals and are weighing the pros and cons of taking them on the cruise. I'm really nervous about the idea of traveling without them.

No we don't take posers as a joke and, I'm sure, everyone has the utmost respect for true service dogs, but emotional support or comfort dogs are NOT service dogs nor are they covered under ADA rules and regulations, with the exception of those who suffer from PTSD. These posers are, IMHO, the worst kind of human beings, because the are showing total disrespect to the true service dog, who helps those with disabilities live a better life.

BTW, those with true service animals don't have the option to cruise without their dogs, they have to be with them 24/7 in order to help them with their daily activities and do very well on cruises, because of their training they are use to various situations.

Edited by NLH Arizona

No we don't take posers as a joke and, I'm sure, everyone has the utmost respect for true service dogs, but emotional support or comfort dogs are NOT service dogs nor are they covered under ADA rules and regulations, with the exception of those who suffer from PTSD. These posers are, IMHO, the worst kind of human beings, because the are showing total disrespect to the true service dog, who helps those with disabilities live a better life.

BTW, those with true service animals don't have the option to cruise without their dogs, they have to be with them 24/7 in order to help them with their daily activities and do very well on cruises, because of their training they are use to various situations.

Well said!! Now lets see if the person gets it.

my understanding is that the ADA only recognizes dogs and miniature horses as Service Animals; the reason being cats and monkeys cannot be adequately potty trained.

Under Title II and III of the ADA, service animals are limited to dogs. However, entities must make reasonable modifications in policies to allow individuals with disabilities to use miniature horses if they have been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for individuals with disabilities.

in other words a cruise ship working out of the US must accommodate Service Dogs, but could probably get by denying a Service Horse due to the limited size of cabins.

mynrx, there was no sarcasm involved; just light hearted banter, on a light hearted thread. Also, I made no reference to service dogs. I purposely used the phrase "little assistance dogs" in the hope that no one would construe my comment as a denegration of service animals.

Cheers, h.

happy-kitten-smiley-emoticon.gif_______________________

I have never heard of anyone with a service animal that has considered travelling without them.....so this is a pretty confusing post. It would also be quite rare for one individual to have two service animals. Certainly two people would each have their own service animal...they are not trained to service two individuals.

No, I believe the ADA is quite specific about dogs and miniature horses and does not cover any therapy animals other than for PTSD.

Edited by ghstudio

I appreciate your honesty.

My thoughts are this:

If you CANNOT safely travel without a service animal, bring them. ( Meaning that the service animal, typically a dog, is helping you perform typical tasks without endangering yourself).

If you are "really nervous about the idea of traveling without them," leave them home. Or consider other forms of travel - most of which will better suit the animals. Most dogs LOVE road trips in the car. These motels are 100% pet friendly with no additional fees: LA Quinta, Red Roof and Motel 6.

Edited by jkgourmet

This is INCORRECT:

This is CORRECT:

my understanding is that the ADA only recognizes dogs and miniature horses as Service Animals; the reason being cats and monkeys cannot be adequately potty trained.

Under Title II and III of the ADA, service animals are limited to dogs. However, entities must make reasonable modifications in policies to allow individuals with disabilities to use miniature horses if they have been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for individuals with disabilities.

in other words a cruise ship working out of the US must accommodate Service Dogs, but could probably get by denying a Service Horse due to the limited size of cabins.

Anyway, we just had a multi-page thread about this subject that had numerous posts deleted and the thread shut down because people had a variety of opinions about it. Unfortunately, some refuse to even listen to an opposing opinion, which causes deleted posts and a locked thread....

Suggestion to the OP: Just contact Celebrity to get any and all questions answered about service animals. If you have a problem in the way they handle it, then complain to them.

My border collie is my best buddy and provides much needed relief from the stresses of life :). He also is very good at 'herding' things. May be a boon in the MDR when requiring the wine waiter or on the pool deck when I need a drinks waiter. Mmmm....

Edited by Macadian

I remember Uncle Joe on petticoat Junction trained that little dog to bring a slice of pie to him while he laid on the couch. Now that was a task that benefited the owner . So I guess he was one of the first service dogs on TV.

But I digress.

I have two beautiful Boston Terriers who bring me a great deal of joy. No matter what, I can count on their two sweet little faces bounding down the stairs to greet me when I get home.

Plus being black and white , they look like they are always wearing little tuxedos. And we all know in the MDR its what you wear that is really important.

I thinkl they would fit in perfectly.

I do wish the ADA would expand their definition of service animals, I fear I will have to leave jumbette, my pet minature indian elephant at home. She is trained to help me with a number of things...including helping me close my suitcases, pressing the clothes when they come out of the suitcases with wrinkles, pulling my suitcases through airports and hallways, etc. Of course being well trained, she sits quietly by my side and is especially helpful in discussions where difficult topics are being carefully avoided and someone blurts outs "why aren't we talking about the elephant in the room"

There have been a lot of chuckles on this thread, and I have enjoyed them, but I must chime in with something serious.

I cruise with a friend who is blind and brings her service dog. We have gone on Celebrity once. For the person who asks about where the dog relieves themselves, Celebrity provides what amounts to a large litter box tucked away in an area that is not frequented by the public.

The dog assists my friend with mobility, stairs, navigating around objects, etc. The dog is with her 24/7.

Because some people are abusing the system and buying service dog vests and falsified papers on the internet, I have heard stories of dogs on cruise ships soiling all over the floor, siting on furniture, etc. These are obviously not trained service animals. This makes it more difficult for people who have a real disability and a real service dog. The public begins to treat the service dog like a pet, calling to it, distracting it from its duties and trying to pet it while it is assisting a blind person with stairs. These actions are obviously hazardous. These animals are highly trained and absolutely necessary and should be treated with respect. Thanks.

Edited by MDTrip
misspelled

MDTrip....I think we all agree with your post....service dogs can make an amazing difference in some lives...and celebrity provides for them well. Not only do I appreciate those dogs, I help train them as a volunteer.

Please take this thread as a humorous look, perhaps really a poke at those who misuse the system by bringing on their pets and calling them service animals or therapy animals, misusing the intent and meaning of the law.

Edited by ghstudio

Thanks for your reply and thanks for volunteering to train service animals. What a huge difference they have made in my friend's life... and all with the help of people like you!

Bravo!

I do hope my Mark will still be allowed to board. He is very useful detecting when I have had too much to drink, when I am way past detecting anything, and hauling me off to bed before I slide under yet another table. He also owns a nice plastic rectangle that lets me do lots of shopping.

Cheers, h.

For those who known Mark, don't tell him of this post!

i f there was a service dog on any of my cruises thankfully never has been

just keep them away from me or they might accidently fall overboard

I truly hope you are joking.

Edited to discard a lot of rude comments and four letter words.

Edited by jkgourmet

i f there was a service dog on any of my cruises thankfully never has been

just keep them away from me or they might accidently fall overboard

You might well go in the drink after the dog , and don't be to sure you will get 1st billing in the rescue attempt.

Excerpts from a DE Owens article in our Orlando Sentinel paper today.

That's why Canine Companions for Independence, the nation's largest nonprofit provider of assistance dogs, has collected more than 25,000 signatures on a petition to collar service-dog fraud. And it's why state Rep. Jimmie T. Smith, an Inverness (FL)Republican, has filed a bill that would slap fraudsters with a second-degree misdemeanor.

The conundrum is that under the ADA, the disabled are obliged to respond to just two questions about their service dog:

"Is this a service dog for disabilities?" And: "What tasks or assistance does the dog provide you with?"

Anyone brazen enough to parade a sham service dog has no qualms about lying.

"Service dogs are more than a vest purchased for a few dollars online," says Melinda S. Sowers, graduate-program manager for Canine Companions for Independence in Orlando. "When untrained pets posing as assistance dogs behave badly, people who truly need assistance dogs can face added discrimination and lose access to public places."

Though hard numbers on imposters are hard to come by, many experts in the service-dog industry consider service-dog fraud a major concern. Scammers can surf the Internet for bogus vests, service-dog patches and credentials, plunk down up to $300 and presto! Fido is a service dog.