? About Luminae Construction on Equinox

RealDeal

Well since the official Celebrity poster has not seen fit to put us out of our misery and tell us which deck and which side Luminae will be, on both M and S class, I can only surmise that head office have not made a final decision yet.

Or maybe the good folks in Miami are just having too many laughs reading all our posts.:rolleyes:

We're cruising Equinox in the next few weeks in a Royal Suite. We received a phone call today, from Primrose, from Royal Caribbean Corporate to tell us about the construction on the ship and that they are offering free dining in the specialty restaurants for the top suite guests. She said they have a number of spaces reserved for suite guests for this new option, which I'm guessing will alleviate some problems with space issues in the MDR. This option apparently started this week, the same time as the construction started.

I suppose that's why there seems to be no spaces available for dining in the specialties. When we tried to book specialties couple of weeks ago, the only available times were very late in the evening, so we didn't book anything.

Something in this post made me wonder....Are they offering this to ppl who are in a suite of any kind, or a "top suite" (not sure what that would include exactly) as this poster stated? Just curious...

i confess that this whole discussion is somewhat confusing. I understand the case where space has been removed because it is under construction and those people are being offerred dining in specialty restaurants. Once the construction is done, that space will be available again. So it's not like there are extra people being added on the ship. It's not like these people didn't already eat somewhere prior to having their own restaurant. The same number of people are eating dinner on the ship in the same square footage. So suite people who would have been eating in the MDR are still eating there, just in their own place.

i confess that this whole discussion is somewhat confusing. I understand the case where space has been removed because it is under construction and those people are being offerred dining in specialty restaurants. Once the construction is done, that space will be available again. So it's not like there are extra people being added on the ship. It's not like these people didn't already eat somewhere prior to having their own restaurant. The same number of people are eating dinner on the ship in the same square footage. So suite people who would have been eating in the MDR are still eating there, just in their own place.

On the surface, it may appear a little confusing, I agree.

But there are a couple issues that make it clearer. First, it will not be the same square footage. The separation of Luminae will eat up space. The rendering of Luminae shows a good deal more spacing between tables than is currently the case, meaning the tables that will be displaced will be closer together in the remaining space in the MDR.

In addition, assuming that Luminae will have it's own "private"entrance, that means that one of the current entrances to the MDR will be eliminated. This will have a profound effect if the new restaurant is carved out of the Select deck. The lines there are not always long, but we have seen a number of nights with considerable lines at both entrances. Reduce that to a single entrance and the line could stretch far down that deck. And, with the potential of reduced space in that dining room, make for an even longer wait. In addition, if Luminae does come from the Select deck, that space will be occupied by not only those who formerly dined in Select, but many who would have dined in Traditional.

These are just a few of the reasons that some are concerned where Luminae will be and how it will be structured. And can't figure out why Celebrity, either directly or directly, has given 3 different locations for the restaurant. Since construction has already begun, it really can't be that difficult to say where it will be.

Andy...I think we are all confused because Celebrity Cruises posted specifically that early and late seating passengers would not be effected....but did not say that about select dining. That led us to believe that select dining would be the one's effected....

it's a bit of a mystery....but if they are giving suite guests dining in the specialty restaurants at least that will reduce the load in the MDR to what it will be after Luminae is completed.....but that's another unknown which we all assume will work out OK, but don't understand how.

There have only been two locations given. The original FAQ document, and what has been officially posted and answered by celebrity in the LIVE chat which is consistent with what has been posted from first hand accounts. Everything else is hearsay and guessing.

Here is a link to the chat on Friday:

http://live.cruisecritic.com/Event/Celebrity_Cruises_Suites_Spas__Signature_Sailings?Page=0

A little bit over halfway down, the Celebrity rep, Jo says:

Jo Rzymowska

On Millennium class Luminae will be on deck 4 portside next to the main dining room, and on Solstice class ships Luminae will be on deck 4 starboard side, also next to the main dining room

Happy sailing,

Jenna

It's Deck 3 Starboard. Currently onboard. Sorry, I lost a long reply, but I'll just say that the dining room is crowded. I'll post our experience when returning. :)

Thank you. This is exactly what HostAndy posted and was the 3rd location mentioned (which I never considered hearsay from Andy--where else wouid he get the info except from Celebrity since he was ON the ship.)

Once again, Left hand meet right hand!

It's Deck 3 Starboard. Currently onboard. Sorry, I lost a long reply, but I'll just say that the dining room is crowded. I'll post our experience when returning. :)

Anxious to hear....because if they sent all the suite passengers to specialty restaurants (as suggested earlier), then your experience is our first look at the new reduced size dining room and how it may work on future cruises.

http://live.cruisecritic.com/Event/Celebrity_Cruises_Suites_Spas__Signature_Sailings?Page=0

A little bit over halfway down, the Celebrity rep, Jo says:

Jo Rzymowska

On Millennium class Luminae will be on deck 4 portside next to the main dining room, and on Solstice class ships Luminae will be on deck 4 starboard side, also next to the main dining room

Happy sailing,

Jenna

On board Reflection all sources state that the new Luminae will be constructed on deck 3 Starboard side not from Select seating on deck 4.

I will let you know next week when construction takes place. Since we are eating on Starboard side deck 4, we will not be misplaced... according to sources on board.

On M-class the new Luminae will be below Blu, Port side.

Ugg. I assume this is on the Equinox which we sail on 2/13. I guess we can't be surprised if it is much more crowded when they remove a portion of the seating. Wish Celebrity Cruises would come back to address their statement that it would have no affect on early, late or Blu seating but those affected (Select???) would have something in their stateroom addressing the issue.

On board Reflection all sources state that the new Luminae will be constructed on deck 3 Starboard side not from Select seating on deck 4.

I will let you know next week when construction takes place. Since we are eating on Starboard side deck 4, we will not be misplaced... according to sources on board.

Hilarious that the actual Celebrity rep gave the wrong location. Ugh. Just goes to show you, don't quote Celebrity. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the posters onboard (and I didn't mean that everything was posted was hersay, heck, even Celebrity was posting bad info).

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Hilarious that the actual Celebrity rep gave the wrong location. Ugh. Just goes to show you, don't quote Celebrity. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the posters onboard (and I didn't mean that everything was posted was hersay, heck, even Celebrity was posting bad info).

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna

Yup! I guess I can stop highlighting the interesting answers from Friday because they are probably wrong!

I spoke with the hotel manager on Solstice and he stated the original intent was to put it on deck 4 as per the original releases. He stated that the week before my cruise the engineers came aboard and believed the best location was deck three. Got the impression there was some mechanical reason.

I spoke with the hotel manager on Solstice and he stated the original intent was to put it on deck 4 as per the original releases. He stated that the week before my cruise the engineers came aboard and believed the best location was deck three. Got the impression there was some mechanical reason.

With the increasing numbers wanting select dining why would they have ever considered putting it on deck 4, beggars belief.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Hi there,

Sorry about this. It looks like the information we received slightly changed after we posted.

Here is the latest information that we have:

Luminae will be located on Deck 3 starboard side on SL class ships and Deck 4 port side on ML class ships.

Edited by Celebrity Cruises

posted by Celebrity Cruises..."When you board, guests that are affected will have a letter waiting for them in their stateroom."

I think this statement has raised concerns when you indicated that early, late and Blu seating was not impacted but others would have a letter waiting for them. Maybe I am wrong but it appears only Select Dining is not mentioned which I assume means we will be affected. Can you address this? I do know it is impossible to get reservations in the Specialty Dining venues on our 2/13 cruise as suite guests apparently have taken over all tables for most of the 10 days. Very disappointing as it appears we have become 2nd class passengers.

Hi there,

Sorry about this. It looks like the information we received slightly changed after we posted.

Luminae will be located on Deck 3 starboard side on SL class ships and Deck 4 port side on ML class ships.

Thanks, I appreciate it. The problem is that the decision was made long ago to have the engineering, plans, mock-ups done, but was never communicated properly to the person representing Celebrity who was likely reading from the same FAQ we had. While I understand this is not your fault, it is a common problem found with Celebrity regarding information online, in call centers and onboard. The communication leads to inconsistency and frustration.

Thanks for what info you provide, I hope you get a chance to sail!

Jenna

Hi there,

I guess you have been instructed not to address the select dining issue.....

Hi there,

One wonders if you have been instructed not to address the select dining issue that you raised with your original statement.

Seems to me the select dining issue revolves around the fact that early/late seating won't be affected b/c they've only allowed enough guests to reserve in accordance w/how many can be accommodated, thus leaving the "overflow" to do select dining. Sounds like they're trying to alleviate this by offering suite passengers free specialty dining.

I'm on the 2/13 sailing & am a little concerned, but what can you do? We really wanted to do specialty a couple of nights, but now who knows if that will be possible given that suite passengers have already been given tables.

No idea what kind of letter they'll be leaving in the cabins of those w/select dining (like me): The MDR will be crowded. Sorry. Sucks to be you. LOLOL.

One wonders if you have been instructed not to address the select dining issue that you raised with your original statement.

We don't have any talking points for select dining as of this time.

Slightly going off topic here. If we don't have talking points, we try to research the issue, and to give answers that we feel confident answering. If we don't answer, its because we're usually working on many other things - including all of our Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.) or waiting for someone to help us answer. Additionally, the program that we use to follow CruiseCritic conversations when not in the office, Tapatalk, has been seriously crippled to the point that we can't use it anymore. This is causing a major delay in seeing and responding to some issues.

Celebrity Cruises, thanks for your updates; they really are appreciated by the majority of CC members.

I wonder if you can share a time table as to when the restaurant is scheduled to be added to the various ships. I realize it would not necessarily be set in stone.

Celebrity Cruises, thanks for your updates; they really are appreciated by the majority of CC members.

I wonder if you can share a time table as to when the restaurant is scheduled to be added to the various ships. I realize it would not necessarily be set in stone.

Thank you.

We believe construction has started on the majority of our ships, and we plan to open fleet-wide in April.