Taking Passport

fla gang

Half the people will say yes and half will say no. It's been discussed here for years.

Those that do take it ashore say that if they miss the ship it will take an act of God to get home without it.

Those that leave it on the ship are afraid they will lose it and don't think they will need it anyway.

In the end it's your decision. Stay tuned for many opinions.............

Oh, we leave it on the ship. Just a bother to carry it around and if somehow we did miss the ship I'm sure the USA would find a way to let us come back home. I was a Boy Scout, motto is "Be Prepared". I guess I'm not living up to that in this case.......... :)

Edited by bouhunter

Half the people will say yes and half will say no. It's been discussed here for years.

Those that do take it ashore say that if they miss the ship it will take an act of God to get home without it.

Those that leave it on the ship are afraid they will lose it and don't think they will need it anyway.

Oh, we leave it on the ship. Just a bother to carry it around and if somehow we did miss the ship I'm sure the USA would find a way to let us come back home. I was a Boy Scout, motto is "Be Prepared". I guess I'm not living up to that in this case.......... :)

Agree, we NEVER take with us, as long as you have Sea-Pass card and photo ID, these 2 items prove that you were on that ship and if you are irresponsible and/or something tragic happens and miss the ship the US will be able to check manifest to see that.

FYI: Not that one should count on it happening, but I have personally seen the ship staff leave passports with the port authority when people hadn't shown up for the ship. I assume that at least sometimes they must search a room and/or safe looking for passports to leave behind.

We take copies of ours off the ship in port. Figure worst case scenario at least we have the passport number to show at embassy instead of having "nothing". Don't like to take the passport itself off the ship though.

Can we just end the thread here?

Unless the crew says that we need to take our passport with us, I leave it in the safe, and take a Xerox copy with me. If for some reason you do need a passport while ashore, the number is probably enough information. The copy will help you get a replacement from an embassy or consulate should you need to fly home.

Can we just end the thread here?

If you are not the original poster of this thread, why do you care when it ends? Better yet, if you are not interested in the answers, why are you even looking to see what others say? I am so tired of some people's lack of respect for other people and always being a Negative Nellie. It's a legitimate question. Let's try the old saying "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." ;)

If you are not the original poster of this thread, why do you care when it ends? Better yet, if you are not interested in the answers, why are you even looking to see what others say? I am so tired of some people's lack of respect for other people and always being a Negative Nellie. It's a legitimate question. Let's try the old saying "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." ;)

Wow, what got into your Cheerios this morning? :confused: My post was just to indicate bouhunter wrapped up what's going to happen in the next however many pages. I don't understand what's negative or not nice about it.

Always take it as we don't both have another source of photo id. We are also not US citizens and seeing we're treated as 'aliens' when we arrive in the U.S. to board a cruise, and once again when we re-enter the country when we disembark I'm sure if some catastrophe were to occur whilst ashore we'd need them.

We don't cruise often so I can't say what we 'always' do - but I can say for our upcoming cruise, we plan to bring our passports on days when we have private excursions and leave them when we are doing ship sponsored excursions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I leave mine in the safe. I do carry a Passport card on shore as my ID.

My view is if I miss the ship, the normal procedure is to check the safe for passports and leave them with the port agent. So I don't really worry about being stuck without my passport if I miss the ship.

If you are stuck and do not have your passport then the consulate will process and charge you for an emergency passport, which might take a few days for you to get.

There are ports where you will be required to have the passport with you. I think most of these are in Europe but always check. In those countries neither a passport card or your sea pass we all work if you are asked for identification

Edited by Carolla5501

There are ports where you will be required to have the passport with you. I think most of these are in Europe but always check. In those countries neither a passport card or your sea pass we all work if you are asked for identification

In doing the Med and the Baltic, the only country where I had to carry my passport off ship was Russia.

In the case of Greece the ship collected all of the passports and kept them while the ship was in Greek waters so no one could carry them off

In the South Pacific New Zealand requires that you carry it as well.

Of course in those situations there is no option and the discussion is pretty easy.

On the other hand for the 90% of all ports where there is an option.....

We always take ours with us unless we are in a US port and the next stop is another US port. Even then I often take it with me in case air service between the cities isn't good and we wouldn't be able to drive to the next port of call in time to meet the ship.

In another country, if we were to miss the ship and our passports weren't left with the port agent, we'd have to find an embassy or consulate, which might not be in the city we're visiting. If it's the weekend, those offices would be closed.

Anyway, it's all a matter of which scenario is less appealing to you. All in all, I'd rather take the remote chance that my passport is stolen than take the remote chance that I'll miss the ship and be without proper documentation on foreign soil.