Chops Price Increase to $39

cjhbeh

Last year when we were on the Indy we got a 20% off on the first day - a common occurrence. We actually used that on the 3rd day because we already had Giovanni's booked for the first day. When we arrived at Chops the place was near empty. I would say for the 2 hours we were there, it never got above 20% capacity. Near the end of the meal they offered us another 20% discount to come another night. We politely said no thanks as $30 per person was right on the edge for us anyway. At $40? Now they're starting to get into a nice meal on a land based restaurant. Remember, the initial $20 for a meal at Chops was tip only for the waiters. It was meant as a small surcharge to go to the waiters for an upgrade meal over one you already paid for, thus the reason for a non-exorbitant price. So while tips have gone up slightly over the years, they certainly haven't gone up 100%. And where is this extra 100% charge going? I'm betting that it isn't going to the waiters.

The latest scam from Royal that has people getting 30% on board credit for purchasing Chops ahead of time (I think it was 30%) is something NOBODY should participate in, All they did was what they did with their WOW sales - up the price and then try and trick you into thinking you're getting something with this special. Don't fall for it. There are no sacred cows on RCI now, just cash cows and sadly they're really starting to annoy me. I like RCI's product. When I look for a cruise, RCI website is the first place I go to but not anymore. Their tricks and scams are pushing me towards other lines and maybe this is what they want. Perhaps their ships are too full, their specialty restaurants too full. It would appear they are driving away customers for a reason, its the only conclusion I can draw from their tricks.

We will be on Allure soon. Cruise planner says $39 now. I remember the days when cruise brochures described the cost as a "nominal fee". Now, for our party of four, it woyuld be $116 plus an extra tip (our choice, personal preference), plus drinks. Some have mentioned there is an "up charge" even from that for an even MORE premium steak.

I don't know what Royal Caribbean is thinking? Changes at every turn and not for the good. All inclusive land vacations are looking better and better - sadly - and we enjoy cruising - D+:(

Don't you get the buy one get one as D+?

I generally agree with you, but I'm curious how you're coming up with that $15 number. Is that the perceived value to the guest of dinner in the main dining room, or the cost of that dinner to Royal Caribbean?

It is just my estimate of what the value is to me of a meal in the MDR. Cost to RCCL is irrelevant since you could make the same argument for their cost at Chops.

I honestly think $15 is a fair price for dinner. It includes three courses, as well as limited drinks (iced tea, coffee, tea). Of course, it depends on where you live, but in many places, such as here in NYC, that's a real bargain.

Why would anyone care if someone is taking a land vacation or not paying to eat in chops or can get a steak somewhere cheaper, its not about you

Thanks for the update on pricing

Edited by setsail

Why would anyone care if someone is taking a land vacation or not paying to eat in chops or can get a steak somewhere cheaper, its not about you

Thanks for the update on pricing

I think the OP was expressing his or her frustration with what appears to be more gouging by RCI. As far as anyone caring, this is a public forum for people to post their opinions and thoughts. That's why there is a cruisecritic and other forums like it - to post your opinion, just like you did.

Just got off the Indy end of January on the Western 6 day. We ate at Chops Grille and it was the WORST meal. Ever. You would get a much better steak at Ponderosa or Golden Corral. The first steak was served well done and the second attempt was not quite rare! We had ordered medium steak. You would think that you would get a perfectly cooked steak at a steak restaurant but far from it. RCCL needs to just start over with this concept and put the emphasis back on the meat and the quality that you serve to your customers.

Rob

Here is a review I found of the roll out on the Navigator for the new menu.

I guess it was going to happen sooner or later - a cruise line extra-fee "upscale" restaurant putting items on the menu that carry an additional charge, and doing so after raising the price of admission from $30 to $35 each.

On Navigator Of The Seas, Royal Caribbean is testing a new menu for it's Chops restaurant. The new menu for this 'steakhouse' only has two steak choices included in the $35 per person reservation fee - an 8 ounce filet mignon or a 10 ounce strip steak. Gone are the larger 12 ounce filet and the 18 ounce t-bone. Instead, for an additional $18 you can get a 'dry aged' 16 ounce strip steak, or for $19 a dry aged 20 ounce porterhouse. A roasted 1.5 pound Maine lobster will set you back another $21.

Other changes include removing the oyster appetizer, the onion soup, and (perhaps most egregiously) the baked potato. The baked potato has been replaced with (brace yourselves) cheese tater tots. And also, you can order a dry-aged hamburger for your entree. No kidding. They really think people are going to spend $35 each and then want to sit down to a hamburger and tater tots? Sadly, some will, and apparently have, because Royal claims they are getting 'good reviews' of this test menu. And that is bad because it means it is likely to be rolled out fleetwide.

Apparently if you want a big steak at Chops, the price of dinner will soon be $53.

I just reserved Chops for my Honeymoon cruise on the Freedom. Now I am rethinking it.

So, what are your all's suggestions for a special meal to get away from the MDR for one night that is worth it?

We prefer Giovanni's Table over Chops

I just reserved Chops for my Honeymoon cruise on the Freedom. Now I am rethinking it.

So, what are your all's suggestions for a special meal to get away from the MDR for one night that is worth it?

While our last two meals at Chops were great (Brilliance & Independence), we also prefer Giovanni's. Chops was like a crap shoot so we had stopped going for a while.

That's what makes MTD so nice.

And yes I can do better than 35 per person at home for a nice steak dinner.

I think you are not counting the price that the unlimited appetizers and deserts would cost, many of the restaurants we go to the salad would be 10 , appetizer 15 and desert and coffee another 15, again of the specialty restaurant we did on last cruise chops was my least favorite

When I paid $60 per couple I thought it was not quite worth it and that was the older, arguably better menu, $78 per couple and smaller steaks? Pass. It's not $78 better than MDR. In MDR you can order as many entrees as you like as well and create a really nice family style dinner. Can't do that in upcharge dining

Edited by LMaxwell

Here is a review I found of the roll out on the Navigator for the new menu.

I guess it was going to happen sooner or later - a cruise line extra-fee "upscale" restaurant putting items on the menu that carry an additional charge, and doing so after raising the price of admission from $30 to $35 each.

On Navigator Of The Seas, Royal Caribbean is testing a new menu for it's Chops restaurant. The new menu for this 'steakhouse' only has two steak choices included in the $35 per person reservation fee - an 8 ounce filet mignon or a 10 ounce strip steak. Gone are the larger 12 ounce filet and the 18 ounce t-bone. Instead, for an additional $18 you can get a 'dry aged' 16 ounce strip steak, or for $19 a dry aged 20 ounce porterhouse. A roasted 1.5 pound Maine lobster will set you back another $21.

Other changes include removing the oyster appetizer, the onion soup, and (perhaps most egregiously) the baked potato. The baked potato has been replaced with (brace yourselves) cheese tater tots. And also, you can order a dry-aged hamburger for your entree. No kidding. They really think people are going to spend $35 each and then want to sit down to a hamburger and tater tots? Sadly, some will, and apparently have, because Royal claims they are getting 'good reviews' of this test menu. And that is bad because it means it is likely to be rolled out fleetwide.

Apparently if you want a big steak at Chops, the price of dinner will soon be $53.

When I hear tater tots I think of the frozen foods aisle at Wal-mart.

Dont they still have a baked potato? I thought there was such an uproar they brought it back. I don't think it's almost football sized like it use to be but its still offered. While "tater tot" sounds lame for what's suppose to be a elegant steakhouse, I've heard positive things about it.

Either way, there are too many complaints for me to pay 39.00 pp for Chops. Couple that with the price of the meal I am giving up in the MDR I already paid for and it's almost Ruth Chris prices for what sounds like a Western Sizzlin quality steak. No thanks.

I enjoyed Chops on Radiance in 2011 and thought it was worth the 25.00 pp. 39.00 pp not so much. I do plan on trying Giovanni's table in April.

Edited by ryano

Just got off the Indy end of January on the Western 6 day. We ate at Chops Grille and it was the WORST meal. Ever. You would get a much better steak at Ponderosa or Golden Corral. The first steak was served well done and the second attempt was not quite rare! We had ordered medium steak. You would think that you would get a perfectly cooked steak at a steak restaurant but far from it. RCCL needs to just start over with this concept and put the emphasis back on the meat and the quality that you serve to your customers.

Rob

This pretty much mirrors our one experience in Chops on Indy. The manager excused it as "probably a bad lot of meat" and didn't offer any sort of compensation. Really? A bad lot of meat in your premium restaurant??

Edited by joepeka

A price increase to $39 would definitely seal it for me. No more Chops. When I ate there on the Allure, the food was mediocre and the service worse. We got a free specialty dinner from our TA, so at least it didn't cost me anything on that cruise. We used a BOGO at Giovanni's and that was excellent.

I hope they continue to keep the price for Giovanni's more reasonable. I like that restaurant much better anyway.

The atmosphere and service... and the food used to be fantastic at the specialty restaurants. Now it's along the lines of what the MDR was ten years ago :rolleyes:

The MDR wasn't that good 10 years ago, either. I find that the quality is wildly inconsistent - on Serenade, the MDR food was very good, but there weren't enough waitpeople, so dinner routinely took longer than we wanted to spend at the table.

I don't know what Royal Caribbean is thinking? Changes at every turn and not for the good. All inclusive land vacations are looking better and better - sadly - and we enjoy cruising - D+:(

All of the mass market lines have upcharges for most of their specialty restaurants, but I'm going to save my steakhouse calories for Princess' Crown Grill. Vastly superior food from appetizers to desserts and a $25 upcharge.