Junk Mail Waste Issue - Idea for Celebrity

JonnyCT81

So far, as I count it 11 posters are for paper and 6 are for paperless. I'll add my voice for paperless so it's 11 to 7. Pretty much as expected for a very traditionalist cruise line clientele.

Hey, I'm sure Celebrity would love to save on it's printing costs and deliver more and more electronically and I'm sure it will happen gradually, perhaps by 2030 we will see something. :D

A sign that the company is moving forward on this is when the IT department stops advertising for programmers with FORTRAN expertise.;)

Not all former FORTRAN programmers will be dead by 2030. At least I won't be, I hope.

Another vote to keep dailies. We take them home also.

:p

Anyone who uses the internet on board the ship knows there are band width and satellite location challenges that make it impossible to get on the internet at all many times during the day. There is no way this idea would work unless they can solve these problems.

Distributing information on the ship's LAN would not require (or care about) connection to the satellite....it would be local to the ship but not as easy to implement as it would seem on the surface...both from a user and infrastructure view.

Anyone who uses the internet on board the ship knows there are band width and satellite location challenges that make it impossible to get on the internet at all many times during the day. There is no way this idea would work unless they can solve these problems.

Likely these types of things would be hosted on the ship on its "intranet" not on the web on the "internet" and thus there would be no issue relative to satellite connection and speeds (nor the costs associated with those connections)

Speeds would be the same as any of the remote bar connections are for their cashiering and other network connected devices and activities al over the ship.

I can't imagine everyone carrying their ipads and phones around the ship all the time. The nice thing about the printed schedule is you can fold it and take it with you and if you lose it, no big deal. Info on the intranet would be of no use in port.

Hi Everyone,

Add me to the list of those who would like to see the printed dailies remain. I enjoy reviewing them the night before, especially when the next day is a Sea Day, as there's always many activities ongoing throughout the ship.

Besides, I always take the dailies home, and often use them as a point of reference when our members ask questions.

With that said, I totally agree with Host Anne, on all of the various sales envelopes which seem constant. IMO, that's a huge waste, but as they generate revenue, I doubt we will see them come to an end, anytime soon.

I enjoy reading the daily schedule and carry it around with me. We also enjoy reading the paper copy of USA News. I throw the rest of the continuous junk mail in the garbage. However, what I consider junk mail could be of interest to others. If the advertisements didn't generate business, then Celebrity would discontinue them.

I would be in favor of opting out of advertisements.

Whenever this subject has come up on the ship, each time we were told that those junk mail advertisements do not come from Celebrity but from the vendors themselves.

Apparently they have the right to distribute their advertising materials to passengers as part of their contract with Celebrity.

Celebrity supplies them with our names and cabin numbers.

The Captain's Club stopped sending out individual invitations to each of their events some time ago.

They say to save the schedule of Captain's Club events that we receive in the cabin on embarkation day because it is the only notice we will get.

I am another who likes to have the daily schedule and the Captain's Club schedule on paper.

Actually, I like having the Celebrity Today in print. It's nice coming back in the evening, and finding the next day's schedule on my bed. :cool: What I hate are all the useless ads and "invitations" for art auctions, jewelry shops, and the spa! On our last Eclipse Cruise, I noticed "messages" for us, on the interactive TV function. Guess what they were -- ADS -- for (you guessed it) art auctions, jewelry shops, and the spa. So, my question is this: Celebrity, if you're going to "spam" me on my inter-active TV account, why do you need to see how many trees you can kill -- to print duplicate paper ads for the exact same thing????:mad:

Agree....we enjoy marking our "to do" list on the Celebrity Today.

I hate the useless ads, too. What I do with the ones of a certain size is use them for scrap paper at trivia. Then I take the used paper to the recycling containers. I use their envelopes for extra tips at the end.

On a recent trip on Royal Princess the daily program and our account were both available on my IPad. Loved it. But I confess that I do enjoy the printed daily program. I do agree with eliminating all the art and spa papers...they didn't motivate us to buythe products.

Agree....we enjoy marking our "to do" list on the Celebrity Today.

I hate the useless ads, too. What I do with the ones of a certain size is use them for scrap paper at trivia. Then I take the used paper to the recycling containers. I use their envelopes for extra tips at the end.

Great idea! Way to re-purpose something in a truly useful manner! :D

Hi Everyone,

Add me to the list of those who would like to see the printed dailies remain. I enjoy reviewing them the night before, especially when the next day is a Sea Day, as there's always many activities ongoing throughout the ship.

Besides, I always take the dailies home, and often use them as a point of reference when our members ask questions.

With that said, I totally agree with Host Anne, on all of the various sales envelopes which seem constant. IMO, that's a huge waste, but as they generate revenue, I doubt we will see them come to an end, anytime soon.

Totally agree Andy. And I am sure that the stockholders agree also, as long as the term "generate revenue" is associated with paper. I would say most stockholders would like both paper and electronic communication, as long as it enhances the bottom line.

I find it hard to believe that the endless art auction, jewelry sales, etc. invitations from outside suppliers return that much profit. Maybe for first time cruisers? Or maybe I'm totally off base. But for me, it doesn't matter who is providing the junk mail - it's a complete and total waste of paper, envelopes and ink. It's a bit hypocritical when cruise lines want us to believe they are trying to be more green and allow their vendors to provide an endless array of paper junk mail.

Kudos for those re-purposing those envelopes.

Sorry....the increased amount of this stuff really bothered me on our last cruise. An insert in the daily at the end of the night would have been enough. The 20+ envelopes/invites in our door throughout the cruise was overkill and wasteful.

I find it hard to believe that the endless art auction, jewelry sales, etc. invitations from outside suppliers return that much profit. Maybe for first time cruisers? Or maybe I'm totally off base. But for me, it doesn't matter who is providing the junk mail - it's a complete and total waste of paper, envelopes and ink. It's a bit hypocritical when cruise lines want us to believe they are trying to be more green and allow their vendors to provide an endless array of paper junk mail.

Sorry....the increased amount of this stuff really bothered me on our last cruise. An insert in the daily at the end of the night would have been enough. The 20+ envelopes/invites in our door throughout the cruise was overkill and wasteful.

Host Anne -- you nailed it! :cool: As long as I have a trash can in my room (hopefully THAT doesn't go the way of the ice bucket), I can deal with all the advertising flyers that they stuff into my daily newsletter.

But, what's truly disappointing is to find that personalized, sealed envelope on your door. At first, you think: Is this that long-awaited invitation to:

-- the bridge tour?

-- the officer's sail-away party on the helipad?

--- or even (gasp), dinner at the Captain/Senior Officer's table??? :eek:

But, then you open the envelope and see that it's only an "exclusive offer" for the high-end jewelry store, or the art auction! :mad:

Please, Celebrity -- tell your vendors to just stick their ads/promos on my interactive TV, so I can easily ignore them, without having to deal with all of this nonsense! :rolleyes:

I like the dailies being delivered. I usually peruse it in bed the night before. BUT I can adapt to change and would be just as happy seeing it an e-form - especially if one could tick off or highlight events they wanted resulting in a personalized itinerary for each day.

I can't recall if X had this, but on Royal i often used the e-boards on each deck where you could access an interactive map as well as the daily events. I used that often. Having access to that with our without an app/e-daily would be nice.

I was totally surprised on my last NCL cruise how many actually purchased art and at big prices. Their internet area is right next to the auctions office (no wall between, so you can see and hear everything) and I was totally shocked at how many people were actually spending there money there and big amounts. I would guess it is the same on Celebrity.

Someone had the idea of an opt-out thing on the cabin door, I think that would be an awesome idea. If you don't want any hard copies of "advertisements" you could opt-out of them when you make your reservation and it would be put on your door. I would still want the daily and US news and that would be the only things I would want and since the Captain's Club puts all your invitations on the one sheet, you have all that information when you arrive.

Also, it would be quite easy for Celebrity to have all these "advertisements" on your TV in your cabin.