Junk Mail Waste Issue - Idea for Celebrity

JonnyCT81

Hi there - I was going through my stuff from my past cruises and the first thing I thought was "jeez, for a company that is talking about saving the waves, they sure don't really care about the forests." Now I am not sure if all of their paper is recycled or not, but trying to stay green is something that I feel is important. I was thinking - in order to reduce waste, why not have the option of going "paperless" like we do with our bills? If you enrolled in this option, you could access whatever you wanted (Dailies, USA Times, etc) on your tablet, kindle, or phone? Most people seem to carry one of these around at all times (I keep my phone on me, in airplane mode for the clock and camera for example).

Everyone is allowed free internet access to celebrity's website (http://www.celebritycruises.com) so I am sure they could create an Intranet on the ship were these could be uploaded and accessed by the guests. Since your accessing an internal network, there wouldn't be any cost involved. Everyone keeps talking about cutbacks, I think this would be a great way to save on overhead (paper, toner,etc.) and be green.

Who knows, maybe if they did something like this, they could bring back the fresh squeezed OJ that the 13,000 + viewers keep chatting about. ;)

Edited by JonnyCT81

I think that would be a great idea. I wish they would start by stopping the Art auction announcements that we get almost every day. That is a real waste of paper !!! But we would love to get the dailies and news on our iPads instead of paper. That would save money and paper and costs !!

Great idea. Since I already read the news and my novels on my IPad, I'd have no problem reading the dailies and any other info they want to hand out. Celebrity, the leader in smoke free could also be the leader in paper free.

Edited by monicajay

Hi there - I was going through my stuff from my past cruises and the first thing I thought was "jeez, for a company that is talking about saving the waves, they sure don't really care about the forests." Now I am not sure if all of their paper is recycled or not, but trying to stay green is something that I feel is important. I was thinking - in order to reduce waste, why not have the option of going "paperless" like we do with our bills? If you enrolled in this option, you could access whatever you wanted (Dailies, USA Times, etc) on your tablet, kindle, or phone? Most people seem to carry one of these around at all times (I keep my phone on me, in airplane mode for the clock and camera for example).

Everyone is allowed free internet access to celebrity's website (www.celebritycruises.com) so I am sure they could create an Intranet on the ship were these could be uploaded and accessed by the guests. Since your accessing an internal network, there wouldn't be any cost involved. Everyone keeps talking about cutbacks, I think this would be a great way to save on overhead (paper, toner,etc.) and be green.

Who knows, maybe if they did something like this, they could bring back the fresh squeezed OJ that the 13,000 + viewers keep chatting about. ;)

Actually, I like having the Celebrity Today in print. It's nice coming back in the evening, and finding the next day's schedule on my bed. :cool: What I hate are all the useless ads and "invitations" for art auctions, jewelry shops, and the spa! On our last Eclipse Cruise, I noticed "messages" for us, on the interactive TV function. Guess what they were -- ADS -- for (you guessed it) art auctions, jewelry shops, and the spa. So, my question is this: Celebrity, if you're going to "spam" me on my inter-active TV account, why do you need to see how many trees you can kill -- to print duplicate paper ads for the exact same thing????:mad:

Actually, I like having the Celebrity Today in print. It's nice coming back in the evening, and finding the next day's schedule on my bed. :cool: What I hate are all the useless ads and "invitations" for art auctions, jewelry shops, and the spa! On our last Eclipse Cruise, I noticed "messages" for us, on the interactive TV function. Guess what they were -- ADS -- for (you guessed it) art auctions, jewelry shops, and the spa. So, my question is this: Celebrity, if you're going to "spam" me on my inter-active TV account, why do you need to see how many trees you can kill -- to print duplicate paper ads for the exact same thing????:mad:

I do not take my computer or any other electronic device except a cell phone on a cruise. Give me the daily information on a piece of paper. As for when I get home - send it via email (wasn't that the original post?). I get NOTHING in the regular mail from Celebrity - NOTHING. They send me emails - a bit too any, but only a second to delete when not looking for a cruise.

I also enjoy Suduku and the newspaper on board as well as putting on a tie and a sports coat a few times. If i want shorts and a T shirt, I can go out to McDonalds.

Just wanted to add my two cents regarding the dailies on board, it would be nice to have a downloaded electronic option for those that would prefer it, but for myself I do not want to be concerned with loss or theft of my electronics by having to carry them around everywhere I go to check schedules. What I would like to see is for Celebrity to load the loyalty coupons onto my seapass as I have heard they are doing on Royal Caribbean. That would not only save paper but would save me the trouble of returning to my cabin when I want my free Gelato or to purchase photos.

We like the printed dailies in our cabin when we get back at night. It is fun reading them and planning the next day. As for the ads, yes, save the paper and the crew's backs emptying the garbage cans full of unwanted ads.

I'm on of those techie nerds who brings electronics on cruise (laptop, tablet, e-reader and smart phone) but I love the US edition of the newspaper to read with breakfast. It would be cool to be able to access the dailies or menus on an intranet though.

I do not take my computer or any other electronic device except a cell phone on a cruise. Give me the daily information on a piece of paper. As for when I get home - send it via email (wasn't that the original post?). I get NOTHING in the regular mail from Celebrity - NOTHING. They send me emails - a bit too any, but only a second to delete when not looking for a cruise.

I also enjoy Suduku and the newspaper on board as well as putting on a tie and a sports coat a few times. If i want shorts and a T shirt, I can go out to McDonalds.

Understandable - I know that some people are always going to prefer paper, it can still be an option. I'm saying that you can choose a paperless option in your reservation - maybe Celebrity could make an incentive for the feature, like a free bingo ticket or something (something that wouldn't hurt the overhead they are trying to save). Paper will always be an option :-)

Edited by JonnyCT81

I'm saying that you can choose a paperless option in your reservation - maybe Celebrity could make an incentive for the feature, like a free bingo ticket or something

Would the Bingo card be paperless also? :cool: ;)

I think that would be a great idea. I wish they would start by stopping the Art auction announcements that we get almost every day. That is a real waste of paper !!! But we would love to get the dailies and news on our iPads instead of paper. That would save money and paper and costs !!

Not everyone brings IPads etc. on cruises. Some of us actually read the dailies and bring them home to use in our memento scrapbook (or whatever you do to remember your cruise). I do agree on the art auction daily announcements etc. - do not need those

Have an opt-out when filling in the on-line check-in.

Like.

Everyone is allowed free internet access to celebrity's website (http://www.celebritycruises.com) so I am sure they could create an Intranet on the ship were these could be uploaded and accessed by the guests. Since your accessing an internal network, there wouldn't be any cost involved. Everyone keeps talking about cutbacks, I think this would be a great way to save on overhead (paper, toner,etc.) and be green.

Royals Quantum class has an intranet app that can be used on ship which has dailies, reservations etc for iPhone/iPads. I'm sure the new Celebrity Edge class will have something similar too.

We've cruised Celebrity for many years and we definitely noticed an increase in the "junk mail" we received several times a day. I'm fine with the Celebrity Today delivered each evening but the inordinate amount of promotional junk in personally addressed envelopes is such a total waste of paper and resources to produce and deliver it all.

I'm much rather have a few more servers, a few more activities staff than junk mail and people needed to deliver it. Every time we left our cabin throughout the day, we'd come back to more junk mail outside our door. I really wish I had kept it all and took a photo.

Please stop the waste, Celebrity.

So far, as I count it 11 posters are for paper and 6 are for paperless. I'll add my voice for paperless so it's 11 to 7. Pretty much as expected for a very traditionalist cruise line clientele.

Hey, I'm sure Celebrity would love to save on it's printing costs and deliver more and more electronically and I'm sure it will happen gradually, perhaps by 2030 we will see something. :D

A sign that the company is moving forward on this is when the IT department stops advertising for programmers with FORTRAN expertise.;)

Most of the junk mail on our recent B2B2B Navigator of the Seas cruises we just did was sent as messages on the interactive TV system so basically we received was the daily Compass and any port informative on those days which was great. :)

Maybe X should follow this practice of their sister company. ;)

We've cruised Celebrity for many years and we definitely noticed an increase in the "junk mail" we received several times a day. I'm fine with the Celebrity Today delivered each evening but the inordinate amount of promotional junk in personally addressed envelopes is such a total waste of paper and resources to produce and deliver it all.

I'm much rather have a few more servers, a few more activities staff than junk mail and people needed to deliver it. Every time we left our cabin throughout the day, we'd come back to more junk mail outside our door. I really wish I had kept it all and took a photo.

Please stop the waste, Celebrity.

The increased junk mail comes from the shops and franchised services and is either paid for by them or part of their contract with Celebrity. The mail is driven by $'s flowing to celebrity either for the mail itself or the goods and services that are supposedly driven by the mail....so there is little chance of it being reduced.

But I'd sure like an "opt out" sign on the door for those of use that don't want the junk mail.

Anyone who uses the internet on board the ship knows there are band width and satellite location challenges that make it impossible to get on the internet at all many times during the day. There is no way this idea would work unless they can solve these problems.