Why did Celebrity do away Farewell Napkin Waving

B17

Glad to see it stop

I wonder if the staff really enjoyed it

We would look at their faces as they came around close to our table.

There were always a few exhibitionists who looked like they were really enjoying themselves, but the majority appeared to have either stiff, forced smiles or pained looks as though bravely enduring torture.

I don't think very many of us would be too pleased if our jobs required us to get up and prance around that way for the entertainment of our clients or customers each week either,

- at least not unless we were first fortified with a number of stiff drinks. :eek:

Also glad they stopped doing that disembarkation talk thing in the theater where they made all the ship's employees come up on the stage to be applauded.

(Or could it be that they still do it, just that we stopped going to it. :confused:)

I thought I was the only one that despised this "tradition". I actually thought about the correct word to express my disdain for this and despised is exactly how I have always felt about it.

I just came off a cruise 2 days ago and tried my best to just ignore the loud music out of speakers full of static. The horrible singing and dancing and the general disruption of my meal. In what upscale restaurant is this performed? None that I frequent. I have watched the service staff closely and feel so bad for them. I always felt that they are forced to sing and dance when they are trained in providing superior service.

I am very pleased that I will not have to endure this again when we go on our Alaskan cruise in May. Way to go Celebrity!

Well said!

Charlie

Also glad they stopped doing that disembarkation talk thing in the theater where they made all the ship's employees come up on the stage to be applauded.

(Or could it be that they still do it, just that we stopped going to it. :confused:)

Now that made me add my 2 cents worth. I usually cruise on Azamara and one of the highlights of each cruise is the disembarkation talk and salute to the crew. The Captain is always there and representatives of each department walk to the stage, give their name and country and sometimes add a little remark about the cruise. It gives us an opportunity to put faces to all the unseen crew and gives them an opportunity to get the recognition they deserve.

I thought I was the only one that despised this "tradition". I actually thought about the correct word to express my disdain for this and despised is exactly how I have always felt about it.

I just came off a cruise 2 days ago and tried my best to just ignore the loud music out of speakers full of static. The horrible singing and dancing and the general disruption of my meal. In what upscale restaurant is this performed? None that I frequent. I have watched the service staff closely and feel so bad for them. I always felt that they are forced to sing and dance when they are trained in providing superior service.

I am very pleased that I will not have to endure this again when we go on our Alaskan cruise in May. Way to go Celebrity!

LIKE LIKE LIKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't stand any of that dining room theatrics

People always equate cruise ship MDRs to 5 start restaurants (usually in dress code threads). I have been to many upscale land based restaurants, and I have to agree with you, I have never seen anything like that.

When my DD was in school she worked at one of those chain restaurants where they do the parade of waitstaff singing some hokey Happy Birthday song . Her and her friends at work hated doing it.

Can only imagine having to put on that floor show over and over.

Edited by babyher

Now that made me add my 2 cents worth. I usually cruise on Azamara and one of the highlights of each cruise is the disembarkation talk and salute to the crew. The Captain is always there and representatives of each department walk to the stage, give their name and country and sometimes add a little remark about the cruise. It gives us an opportunity to put faces to all the unseen crew and gives them an opportunity to get the recognition they deserve.

I thought that was a nice opportunity to say thank you and acknowledge those departments that don't usually get the "kudos" from the passengers. LuAnn

I really thought it was the most disgusting comical thing ever. On a formal night people are normaly dressed in their finest, probably had lobster and now are twirling their soiled napkin over their head flinging the remains of their dinner thru the air.

Always reminded me of that food fight scene in "Animal House"

happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Hi Orv,

It was not offered on the 1/23 Equinox sailing. We may have been one of the first sailings for it to be excluded.

I wasn't overly thrilled with it's execution over the past couple of years, as it seemed to get louder and louder with each cruise... so I'm ok with it's elimination. With that said, I always felt it was a welcome opportunity to say "thank you", to the wonderful crew, who work tirelessly for Celebrity's guests, and that aspect will be missed.

I think your cruise also had a change in CD.

I also agree that it's something I'm okay without. We were in Select dining.

Seems to me most that hate it have been on many cruises and are tired of it. I can see where passengers who have not cruised often would enjoy it.

I will admit to being one of these.

My first cruise it was a fun experience. :D

2nd eh, whatever. :(

3rd, tired and tacky. :confused:

4th and beyond, I do specialty or buffet that night to avoid it. :p

Sailed on Celebrity only once (Silhouette, Nov 13) and found the napkin twirling procession to be fun.

So it has become history, at least on some ships.

[YOUTUBE]STsetZ_seN4[/YOUTUBE]

This video could be used at Gitmo prison. They would spill the beans after watching this once or twice. V LOL

from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This video could be used at Gitmo prison. They would spill the beans after watching this once or twice. V LOL

from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I know sitting through this twice , I would be begging to be water boarded. *LOL*

I agree. Most of the people work extremely hard and we rarely get the opportunity to not only see them, but to thank them.

Here again -- I think this is just the evolving picture of the modern cruiser. Unlike generations past, this "new" cruiser:

-- doesn't want to eat dinner at set times, every night;

-- doesn't want to be seated at a table with total strangers;

-- doesn't want to be told when to dress up for dinner;

-- doesn't want to spend two hours eating dinner;

-- and, doesn't really want the traditional dining room entertainment (singing waiters and chef parades).

Perhaps RC has it right, with their new "dynamic dining" concept. If folks just want the MDR to be another restaurant, you might as well provide them with as many choices as possible.

Here again -- I think this is just the evolving picture of the modern cruiser. Unlike generations past, this "new" cruiser:

-- and, doesn't really want the traditional dining room entertainment (singing waiters and chef parades).

Perhaps RC has it right, with their new "dynamic dining" concept. If folks just want the MDR to be another restaurant, you might as well provide them with as many choices as possible.

Speaking from the generation that I believe you are referring to (early 30s), I can honestly say that those are some very broad generalizations that are DEFINITELY not true for all of us :) My husband and I happen to like dressing up for a set dining time, and enjoying a leisurely meal with a table of strangers (new friends). We also enjoyed the chef parades, although neither of us has ever had a waiter sing to us! That's one of the things that has made us stick with Celebrity so loyally: Dinner every day is a special occasion with a lot of class, which we both very much appreciate during such a luxurious vacation. :o

Think about it...a passenger sneezes into their napkin, or blows their nose into their napkin (IMHO bad manners), and then proceeds to wave their napkin around...over and over again. It probably does spread some germs into the air.

It may be a cruising tradition, but it was time to retire that custom.

We can all spread germs by sneezing around the ship -- does this mean we all have to wear face masks?

Sorry all this 'wrapping us all up in cotton wool' on ships and in life generally does my head in.

To me the 'health' reasons are nothing to do with it - cruise lines just seem to be committed to doing away with some of the traditions full stop. That's ok if you don't mind, but sad for those of us that do. :(

I really thought it was the most disgusting comical thing ever. On a formal night people are normaly dressed in their finest, probably had lobster and now are twirling their soiled napkin over their head flinging the remains of their dinner thru the air.

Always reminded me of that food fight scene in "Animal House"

happy crusing ����������

It's because of reminding one of the food fight in Animal House that we should have the napkin extravaganza,great movie,classic scene. Maybe we should start a food fight in replacement of the waving. Nothing wrong with being a little silly once in a while.

It's ironic that the increasingly large number of cruisers who refuse to dress up on formal nights object to a bit of fun.

I think it's more a function of increasing fuddy-duddiness as the cruise population on Celebrity becomes the "Depends" generation of cruisers.

To let a napkin swirl for two minutes on one night of a cruise draw such ire is in itself enough to make me laugh out loud, and for that I thank you ,you old sticks in the mud.

Edited by drfun48

After almost 60 cruises, that is us in a nutshell.

Speaking from the generation that I believe you are referring to (early 30s), I can honestly say that those are some very broad generalizations that are DEFINITELY not true for all of us :) My husband and I happen to like dressing up for a set dining time, and enjoying a leisurely meal with a table of strangers (new friends). We also enjoyed the chef parades, although neither of us has ever had a waiter sing to us! That's one of the things that has made us stick with Celebrity so loyally: Dinner every day is a special occasion with a lot of class, which we both very much appreciate during such a luxurious vacation. :o

Actually, I can see how my post could be interpreted as "age-ist" -- but, that was truly not my intention. :o When I was speaking about the "new generation" of cruisers, I meant folks who (regardless of age) have only started cruising in the last few years. Folks for whom true European-Style white-glove service in the MDR is only something they've heard about from us "old-timers". ;) Yes, things are changing -- and, will continue to change. But, like you, I really hope that Celebrity continues to offer a luxurious and classy cruising experience. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers