Poll: Drink Package discounts for D/D+/PC

Merion_Mom

You are D/D+/PC. You will buy the ultimate pkg for the whole cruise if:  

225 members have voted

1. 1. You are D/D+/PC. You will buy the ultimate pkg for the whole cruise if:

• I will buy it if I get a 5% discount.
    • I will buy it if I get a 10% discount.
    • I will buy it if I get a 15% discount.
    • I wouldn't buy a package anyway, so this means nothing to me.
    • I wouldn't buy a package unless the discount went even higher.
    • I wouldn't buy a package unless I had the option of buying for less than the whole voyage.
    • Are you kidding me? Another poll?????
    • I am not D, D+ or PC, so I have no voting rights. But I will leave a comment.

The package as is already represents a big discount. I see a further discount for upper tier members as THE gateway to elimination of drinks in the lounges or even the 3 drink vouchers. Therefore while I appreciate saving money as much as the next person I can't get behind it. I do support something like on MSC where a fixed number of drink vouchers can be purchased for use whenever and I think they bring drink prices down to a very reasonable $6 per. But I'd support that for all cruisers regardless of tier. Somewhere in between nothing and an unlimited package.

Instead of subsidizing a further discount I think they would do well to increase the quality of certain amenities. While upper tier cabins certainly pay for their nicer amenities as a Diamond in an oceanview I get a scratchy robe and some mystery pump shower goo. Maybe D and up can get a cut better amenities like the past?

If we were offered 20% or better we would buy. At present, we use the DL or CL for 2 or 3 pre dinner drinks and grab a couple to take into dinner.

Might also be an enticer to offer different discounts depending on C&A level.

Edited by SadmanCruiser

I don't drink alcohol and bought the Royal Replenish package last winter on the AOS. I wasn't impressed, because it didn't include canned sodas like Celebrity's non-alcoholic packages. I'm not planning on buying the RR on our next RCCL cruise, as D+ and Suite guests it doesn't make sense. :):)

I have actually had a conversation with one of the HO people in the Beverage Dept. and suggested a discount to D and above cruisers for the very reason that it would encourage more of them to purchase a package.

I think that the percentage discount should raise as a guest moves from D to D+ and on to P.

Wether it is ever considered as a worthy option, only time will tell :D

I have actually had a conversation with one of the HO people in the Beverage Dept. and suggested a discount to D and above cruisers for the very reason that it would encourage more of them to purchase a package.

I think that the percentage discount should raise as a guest moves from D to D+ and on to P.

Wether it is ever considered as a worthy option, only time will tell :D

Offering a discount to those currently getting free liquor might increase pkg sales, but having a sliding scale based on loyalty would be counter productive to the beverage dept. That additional cost would need to come from C&A or marketing. And would that do anything to relieve crowding in the lounges. They probably need to start booting everyone except suite guests from the CL or just rename it suite lounge like Oasis

We rarely have more then two or three drinks per day in addition to the " free "drinks in the evening so the discount would need to be about 50% for us to be interested. Even at that I think RCL would make money on us. We do use the buy one get one wine coupons.

No interest at all in a drink package. The 3 voucher drinks are more than enough in an evening, I prefer a club soda or similar when out late.

When you are on ships as much myself, and many upper tier cruisers, drinking enough to make a package worthwhile on every cruise would put one close to the "problem drinker" category.

Well, after 109 votes, 69% either would not want the package or would want a bigger discount (like about a 75% to 80% discount). The current system of three fee drinks/night or all you can drink in the Diamond/D+/Pinnacle/suite or whatever it is called lounge (if you can get in) seems to work out just fine.

They probably need to start booting everyone except suite guests from the CL or just rename it suite lounge like Oasis

I think that they should call it the Sweet Lounge and limit it to people in the Moo Suite. That should really cut down on the over crowding.

I think that they should call it the Sweet Lounge and limit it to people in the Moo Suite. That should really cut down on the over crowding.

That would only cover the Freedom class

Doesn't Freedom class have the smallest CL in the fleet anyway? Anything to cut the CL crowding would help. ;)

We've been on three trans-Atlantic cruises over the past two years where Royal offered free Premium Drink Packages as a promotion for booking the cruise. As much as I love the convenience of the package, at the present time free is probably the only way I would get it. I know you said no pie in the sky but I actually would consider 40 to 50% off. Otherwise, will continue to be looking for the drink package promotions when booking a cruise.

Tim

Free for us too. With 7 booked right now, 4 have the offered drink promos.

80% off would be like $11 per day for the premium package. Gee, I wonder if that will ever happen. A $20-25 discount I could see since they provide a lot of free drinks to us D and above already but 80% off is far beyond making any sense. I wonder what poeple would really do if this wasn't just a hypothetical question. I'm sure the acceptable % off for most is much lower than 75% off. For me $30 ($25 off which is probably less than I consume for free each night as it is now) for the premium package would be the sweet spot.

Well, after 109 votes, 69% either would not want the package or would want a bigger discount (like about a 75% to 80% discount). The current system of three fee drinks/night or all you can drink in the Diamond/D+/Pinnacle/suite or whatever it is called lounge (if you can get in) seems to work out just fine.

On the Oasis westbound TA last year, there were over 800 D+ and about 1000 D, and IIRC around 80 Pinnacle.

Trans Atlantic cruises probably would have on average a higher amount of D and above cruises, because from what I understand they usually have people who have the ability to travel 10 to 14 days, to basically a cruise to nowhere (a few ports sprinkled in). People who have that type of time are usually retired and sail more.

However, assuming the ship was close to capacity at a 5,400, minus the 1, 880D and above occupants, the vast majority are still not D and above (3,520).

They probably have other ways to meet the bottom line with the D and above crowd.

I cannot express how valuable the D and D+ lounges have been for us in meeting new cruising buddies. We have booked several more cruises to meet up with them again. This would not happen if it were not for the lounge.

With that being said, I would probably buy the package if it were sold at a 50% discount and that would be the basic package. There should be one discount for D and and a higher discount as you rise in the ranks to D+ and Pinnacle. We do not drink that much so I don' know if it would ultimately be worth the money vs paying per drink.

Interesting that the survey shows that a large number want a higher discount than what you proposed.

Just don't do away with the lounges.....conversation in the lounge is PRICELESS!!!

Have to agree with you on this one. I think some people knowing that RCCL reads this site went a little high in what it would take. But if it is priced right I see some people that are not purchasing it now doing so in the future. 2 bottles of wine only goes so far and if the price was right I think some would go for it.

I didn't go a little high, I considered what it would take for me to be interested to purchase a drink package when I already have so much free alcohol/coffee available to me. Even if I got 50% off (around $31 per day with the gratuity added on?) I don't think I would purchase it.

I am allowed two bottles of wine at boarding, get a bottle of wine in my room as amenity, along with a single serve bottle of wine for me and my husband, and free drinks from 5-8:30 every night. That is a lot of drinking.

And if you get off the ship at port, you're not making use of any onboard alcohol. I usually end up taking a bottle or 2 of wine home with me because I just can't drink that much alcohol in the time allotted.