Voyager of the seas , returning to Australia due to cyclone?

Marine traffic shows voyager next port Hobart 12th march, Hobart port also shows new date, will believe it when she sails past Eden, we board her in Sydney on the 16th.Weather a tad cooler in Tassie than Fiji.

Just read your comment and received an FB update from Jill onboard that they are heading to Hobart for 2 days :eek::D.. fingers crossed a heatwave is on its way... cant imagine too many pax who were headed for Fiji would have their winter woolies with them !!!!!! Btw lovely spot is Eden .....

Edited by badgerbill

Would rather be on Voyager than Rhapsody when facing those big seas.

Going to be a a lot of disappointed cruisers on board. Nothing can be done of course as its all up to the weather gods and its cyclone season after all. Will such a big change of itinerary result in any compensation do you think?

Not a public Holiday in NSW tomorrow Mic :(.

Until my son commented an hour ago I didn't even know it was one elsewhere.

A March public holiday? Where?

(Well, there's Easter but it's really early for that!)

Yes I am all for safety first but I can't see how having an 11 month old on board in an emergency would be handled any differently to having a 12 month old? Kids that age don't suddenly become easier to deal with when they turn 1 (speaking from experience here :) )

Throughout our lives there is numerous arbitrary ages set - that's life, and sometimes it works in your favour & sometimes not. As someone already posted if there is a line & you want an exception made then just where is the new line drawn. Frankly it is not discrimation when a published rule is enforced.

As others have said, it would seem that RCI should just adopt a blanket 1 year age minimum, but then there will be people complaining about that.

Just read your comment and received an FB update from Jill onboard that they are heading to Hobart for 2 days :eek::D.. fingers crossed a heatwave is on its way... cant imagine too many pax who were headed for Fiji would have their winter woolies with them !!!!!! Btw lovely spot is Eden .....

When I was in Hobart in Jan/Feb, I wore merino wool layers and Antarctica parka!

Yes, Rhapsody will be in Newy tomorrow :)

Just drove past her, unless she was still docking she is in an unusual position, I'll try and have a look later on. That's if she is still here by the time I finish work:mad:

The new amended itinerary for the Rhapsody cruise is Newcastle, Luganville, Champagne Bay, Vila,Lifou,Mare.

I believe Royal were offering 100% future cruise credit for those opting to not go on this amended cruise and I would assume those families with the babies too young etc would have been offered the same. Unfortunate, but these rules are for the guests safety .

The new amended itinerary for the Rhapsody cruise is Newcastle, Luganville, Champagne Bay, Vila,Lifou,Mare.

I believe Royal were offering 100% future cruise credit for those opting to not go on this amended cruise and I would assume those families with the babies too young etc would have been offered the same. Unfortunate, but these rules are for the guests safety .

So what did they do when they changed the itinerary of Voyager to have several consecutive sea days after the Noumea stop? Throw families with infants under 1 year old off the ship in Noumea?

I can understand the logic behind their ruling but, given the last minute change of itinerary, I cannot see that taking three sea days to get to New Caledonia from Australia is that much different than two sea days, especially if the ship is travelling slower to extend the time taken for the crossing - as happend on our cruise when our last Fiji port stop was cancelled and we took two days to get back to New Caledonia instead of one.

I think RCI dropped the ball big time on this.

When I was in Hobart in Jan/Feb, I wore merino wool layers and Antarctica parka!

It will certainly be different from the South Pacific! We were in Hobart in Feb and I wore a singlet top, but then I am from southern NSW, not Queensland. :) It looks like the forecast is for low 20's so it should be pretty mild, but certainly not a tropical feel, and I do feel for people that were looking forward to their snorkelling etc.

We did the cruise in Feb due to it being unusual to do a couple of days in Tasmania. Who would have thought a trip to Fiji would end up there!

As others have said, it would seem that RCI should just adopt a blanket 1 year age minimum, but then there will be people complaining about that.

Yes, because you would then be disadvantaging the majority for what is a one-off situation that really should have been handled better.

Making rules that disadvantage most for the sake of limited situations is generally not the best way to go.

So what did they do when they changed the itinerary of Voyager to have several consecutive sea days after the Noumea stop? Throw families with infants under 1 year old off the ship in Noumea?

I can understand the logic behind their ruling but, given the last minute change of itinerary, I cannot see that taking three sea days to get to New Caledonia from Australia is that much different than two sea days, especially if the ship is travelling slower to extend the time taken for the crossing - as happend on our cruise when our last Fiji port stop was cancelled and we took two days to get back to New Caledonia instead of one.

I think RCI dropped the ball big time on this.

Agreed. It could have been handled so much better. And of course if you were disadvantaged, you'd be unhappy. RCCL haven't delivered on what their business is about, which is holiday experiences.

Unfortunately it seems to be a case of overzealous risk aversion. There could have been a better solution, nothing demonstrably went wrong, but RCCL would rather not take any extra risk instead of delivering on their product.

It will certainly be different from the South Pacific! We were in Hobart in Feb and I wore a singlet top, but then I am from southern NSW, not Queensland. :) It looks like the forecast is for low 20's so it should be pretty mild, but certainly not a tropical feel, and I do feel for people that were looking forward to their snorkelling etc.

We did the cruise in Feb due to it being unusual to do a couple of days in Tasmania. Who would have thought a trip to Fiji would end up there!

At least, no rain is forecast. It is the low minimums, in mid summer, which are a shock to people from the tropics, not the mild maximums, which are often lower than our minimums. In addition, passengers can forget about swimming, as the water is freezing.

Did I mention that I love Tasmania and am looking forward to returning, just not with clothes intended for the South Pacific?

At least, no rain is forecast. It is the low minimums, in mid summer, which are a shock to people from the tropics, not the mild maximums, which are often lower than our minimums. In addition, passengers can forget about swimming, as the water is freezing.

Did I mention that I love Tasmania and am looking forward to returning, just not with clothes intended for the South Pacific?

Yes, a little bit of a different climate.:eek: