Help Me - Rome Cruise in July with wife and daughter, I don't know what to do!!!!!

hamlettm

Hey Cruise People,

I'm LOST and need help, we have NEVER been to Europe and I plan to Surprise my wife with a trip to Rome in July (during her 40th). She has wanted to go to Europe so bad and I'll surprise her 24 hours before we leave.

Because of that I need to know what tours to book, I'm going on the Epic and we will stay in the suites up front (The Haven). I usually ask her and let her decide, but I can't now due to the surprise.

We have been on 15 cruises but never to Europe so I have NO IDEA what to do!!!!

Here is what we are doing for the cruise, what should we do at each stop?

Day Land Tours And Cruise Ports Arrive Depart Booked

Wed Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy ---- 7:00 pm 0

Thu Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy 7:00 am 7:00 pm 0

Fri Cannes, France 8:00 am 6:00 pm 0

Sat Palma, Majorca, Spain 1:00 pm 8:00 pm 0

Sun Barcelona, Spain 5:00 am 6:00 pm 0

Mon At Sea ---- ---- 0

Tue Naples, Italy 7:00 am 7:00 pm 0

Wed Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 6:00 am ---- 0

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

I'm 43

My wife will be 40

My daughter is 19

I also thought it would be nice to get there three days early and look around, thoughts? What hotel should we stay in? What should we do?

Edited by hamlettm

Surprise her 24 hours before you leave! Good grief man, did you marry Wonder Woman??:D If I did that I would be in the dog house (literally!).

How would she manage to get hair done, nails done, clothes organised (and/or bought) and most important - tell her friends that she is going on a cruise again?

You will have a great time, as its a great itinerary, but I think she deserves a little more pre information.

Surprise her 24 hours before you leave! Good grief man, did you marry Wonder Woman??:D If I did that I would be in the dog house (literally!).

How would she manage to get hair done, nails done, clothes organised (and/or bought) and most important - tell her friends that she is going on a cruise again?

You will have a great time, as its a great itinerary, but I think she deserves a little more pre information.

Ok fine, I'll do it a week before.

So how about the suggestions for what to do at each port? :D

What a great surprise (I hope you all survive). You will find a lot of information if you simply look on the appropriate port boards (like this one). You need to decide if you want to spend the big bucks and take advantage of the many excursions offered by your cruise ship. While this does reduce stress and planning, it is expensive and you need to enjoy being on large bus tours. Every one of your ports can also be handled by doing things on your own (you do need to do some homework and perhaps pick up a Rick Steves book on cruising the Med). Going off on your own means no groups, saving a lot of money, but it does require planning, some good "travel sense" and a spirit of adventure. Your other option is to do some private tours. For this option you might want to look at the CC Roll Call board for your particular cruise and see if anyone is organizing some small group tours which you might want to join.

And by the way. With only 24 hours notice it will be a frantic time getting everyone ready and packing. You might want to find all the Passports now, and put them in a place so that you do not forget to take the documents. Also notify your ATM card bank and major credit card banks of your upcoming trip so that there are no security issues if you decide to use the cards in Europe.

NOW, speaking man to man I do think your "surprise" is pretty neat. However, you might want to consider giving your wife a few more days notice. My own experience tells me that some women want time to do things like getting their hair done, planning for formal nights, etc.

As to getting there a few days early that is a very wise idea as it takes away the stress of worrying about missing the ship, having luggage delayed, etc. It also gives everyone time to get over jetlag and enjoy Rome. But July is prime tourist season in Rome so you might want to plan that part of your trip (hotel and air) very soon. We will leave to others to make hotel recommendations as there are hundreds of hotels in all price ranges.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

As to what to do, we know nothing of your interests, budget, limitations, or anything else. However, each of those ports is covered extensively on this board (and the Spain and France board). Plus, look at what NCL is offering to get an idea on the major sights. Then add in your interests and limitations. Then, some more specific questions will help us help you.

You might even consider a guide book, like Rick Steves'.

You can also look at the excursions that are offered through the cruise line.

Sometimes the same tours are available in smaller groups (or privately) when booked by you directly.

Or, those excursions can give you some examples of "things to do".

Then using Google, you can find similar.

(Then check reviews, or ask here.)

GeezerCouple

Getting there three days early is an excellent idea. Even from the East coast it's a long flight, overnight, and it's hard to know how jet-lag will impact you. It's nice to have that time to get acclimated and avoid any stress about getting to the ship on time.

The most central location in Rome is the area roughly bounded by Campo dei Fiori, Piazza Navona, and the Pantheon. If you stay in this area you can walk to everything - the two farthest locations most first-time tourists would head to are the Vatican Museums (where you find the Sistine Chapel, 1.6 miles on foot) and the Colosseum (one mile on foot).

Wed Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy ---- 7:00 pm

Thu Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy 7:00 am 7:00 pm

Fri Cannes, France 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Sat Palma, Majorca, Spain 1:00 pm 8:00 pm

Sun Barcelona, Spain 5:00 am 6:00 pm

Mon At Sea ---- ----

Tue Naples, Italy 7:00 am 7:00 pm

Wed Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 6:00 am

One of the most common complaints I hear about European cruises is that people come home exhausted as they are packed with incredible places to visit.

Looking at your list, I would say that your "heaviest" days will be Thursday (Florence/Pisa), Sunday (Barcelona), and Tuesday (Naples). The good news is that you've got buffer between the big days that will allow you to rest a bit.

These three cities will require planning, while Cannes and Majorca can be more laid back as you can simply walk off the ship and make decisions at the last minute if you wish.

You can get to Florence from the port at Livorno on your own by train, you can hire a car service for door-to-door service, or you can join a group on your roll call to share the cost of the car service (which is not insignificant, as you'll see as you start to research).

Barcelona from the port to the city is a long walk or a quick bus or cab ride. It's an amazing city with a lot to see and do - you'll be on the go all day there.

Naples is often the most difficult port for people to plan as there is an embarrassment of riches on offer there. The city of Naples is the easiest to visit as you dock right in town and you can simply walk off the ship right to the museums, churches, etc. You can also easily get to Pompei by bus or train, or to Sorrento, the Amalfi Coast, or Capri by boat.

Hey Cruise People,

I'm LOST and need help, we have NEVER been to Europe and I plan to Surprise my wife with a trip to Rome in July (during her 40th). She has wanted to go to Europe so bad and I'll surprise her 24 hours before we leave.

Because of that I need to know what tours to book, I'm going on the Epic and we will stay in the suites up front (The Haven). I usually ask her and let her decide, but I can't now due to the surprise.

We have been on 15 cruises but never to Europe so I have NO IDEA what to do!!!!

Here is what we are doing for the cruise, what should we do at each stop?

DayLand Tours And Cruise PortsArriveDepartBooked

WedRome (Civitavecchia), Italy----7:00 pm0

ThuFlorence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy7:00 am7:00 pm0

FriCannes, France8:00 am6:00 pm0

SatPalma, Majorca, Spain1:00 pm8:00 pm0

SunBarcelona, Spain5:00 am6:00 pm0

MonAt Sea--------0

TueNaples, Italy7:00 am7:00 pm0

WedRome (Civitavecchia), Italy6:00 am----0

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

I'm 43

My wife will be 40

My daughter is 19

I also thought it would be nice to get there three days early and look around, thoughts? What hotel should we stay in? What should we do?

Cruise is THIS July? Better Rome hotels at decent price this late in the game will not be easy. Most importantly, recognize that 4 star in Europe is usually about 3 star in US. Nonetheless, there are many very nice four star hotels "in centro" and you should focus on the areas around the Pantheon or the Spanish Steps. Many folks on Trip Advisor and even Rick Steves recommends "The Roman Guy" for good and reasonably priced tours though, like the hotels, you will find slim pickings for group tours this late in tre game. TRG has a 3 tour package over 1.5 days including Vatican.

Even if you are not Catholic, the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel is an absolute must (get reserved tix and guided tour to avoid lines). The reserved tix go fast so do the research ASAP. After the Vatican, dine at a nearby Anthony Bourdain favorite, Cacio e Pepe and have the dish by the same name.

For best hotel comparisons with price drop/match refund guarantees, check Tingo.com.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I can recommend the sleeping part. We rented an apartment through sleepinitaly.com. I also think you should try to stay in the center of all the major areas. Campo dei Fiori or Navona are in walking distance to most sites. Staying near the Vatican is a little far from all the rest of the sites, in my opinion.

You might also check on the Europe boards and check out the different countries. Hlitner (Hank) has a wealth of info on all of them. I'm putting him on my speed dial :D

I didn't know what board I was on. So I see you found Italy.

Edited by Melozone

Most importantly, recognize that 4 star in Europe is usually about 3 star in US.

You really can't compare the two rating systems, as the star system in Italy relates only to the amenities offered by the hotel. It says nothing about the quality of those offerings. A hotel can have five stars because it has all of the requisite items but they could all be dirty, old, broken, etc. and it would not impact the rating.

Tip for Majorca: don't stay in Palma or you will miss what's there. if they have a trip - yes even ship excursion - on the old open air Sollar train and to Deia it will be completely worthwhile. We did this (yes) on a ship excursion and promptly decided we wanted to retire in Majorca. Michael Douglas and Cetherine ZetaJones have their holiday house around Deia - we saw it :)

What I do when preparing on what to see or do on any holiday, whether cruise or land based is RESEARCH. I know exactly what mine and OH's likes and dislikes are.

I start by asking friends if any have been to the places we are going to. I read articles on Tripadvisor and here on CC. I also go onto the local tourist board websites for each destination.

If we are doing a cruise I check the exact time the ship is going to be in port. You can do this by the local port authority website. I also look and see how many other cruise ships are in on the same day as us. Quite important in some places like Flam in Norway, for instance.

I read through all the excursion descriptions the cruise line is offering and of course, check out the prices. We hardly ever take ship excursions as they are far too overpriced and we don't like being herded around with 50 other people.

I then see if I can find a local tour operator offering the same or similar trip. Depending on the destination I also price car hire. Many places these days have online booking, like Sagrada Familia in Barcelona or Galleria Borghese in Rome.

I also see if there is a HOHO bus and if they have one I look at the route and I check public transportation too.

So, plenty needs to done as far as research goes, but for me, that is all part of the fun.

As a female I would certainly want to have a couple of weeks notice to get all my things together.

Remember in Europe you need a chip and pin credit card. CCs are widely accepted, except American Express. We use one that makes no charges on foreign transactions, so may be wise to order one now so you have it in time.

Good luck with all that.

You really can't compare the two rating systems, as the star system in Italy relates only to the amenities offered by the hotel. It says nothing about the quality of those offerings. A hotel can have five stars because it has all of the requisite items but they could all be dirty, old, broken, etc. and it would not impact the rating.

True-I was just trying to do the short cut comment and did a bad job of caveat emptor.

You do not need a chip and pin card most places, but you do need several cards so you have back up in case of problems. You also need to notify the banks, etc. where you are going.

Get Rick Steves book. Also check out toms port guides: http://www.tomsportguides.com/portguides.html

You must give your wife time to make a hair appointment and throw a few clothes together. Fewer clothes are better but make sure she has good walking shoes. If she does not have foot problems good walking sandals would work in addition. Perhaps let your daughter in on the secret a bit sooner and get some help from her.

Another thought....if you told her now, you would get the same surprise as you would a few months later and then be giving a gift that would keep on giving because of the built up anticipation of the big trip planned. Just a thought to chew on. :) Perhaps on her actual birthday you could give her something related to the trip, or perhaps plan a special dinner in Rome?

Bubba: You deserve a hero's burial once she is through with you. However, I have done similar surprises (gutsiest move was to wake up The Boss and give her thirty minutes to get ready) and the verbal and physical abuse was worth it. She has even admitted it that she loved it depite the stress to be ready. My thoughts:

--Pay my way and I'll plan it all out for you (that'll REALLY surprise your wife when she meets the Nuyorican tour guide).

Call in sick and stay home for a few days so you can prep. This is not a vacation; this is total warfare against the obstacles to keep you from having fun.

-As above, read the boards although time consuming or google "Top Ten to do in XXX"

-Make reservations NOW. Trip Advisor will give you a great idea of a good hotel room.

-When possible take advantage of hooking up with small group tours either through CC boards.

-In Naples, recommend hooking up with a small group (found in the boards) and combine Pompeii with an Amalfi drive).

-Make reservations online for top tourist attractions such as the Vatican (Rome), Sagrada Familia (Barcelona), Uffuzzi Gallery (Florence)

Enjoy it! Remember that a crappy day in Italy is bettter than a good day at work.

Protect the face! Remember that you only need one good eye to see the sites, so take the beating then be prepared for your wife to praise and thank you ad nauseum. She may even buy you a present.

Z and TB

Another thought....if you told her now, you would get the same surprise as you would a few months later and then be giving a gift that would keep on giving because of the built up anticipation of the big trip planned. Just a thought to chew on. :) Perhaps on her actual birthday you could give her something related to the trip, or perhaps plan a special dinner in Rome?

hamlettm,

You know your wife better than we do.

Some people love surprises, and others hate them (for a variety of reasons).

I'm one, who like described above, really ENJOYS the anticipation, and the planning.

--> I feel like I get THREE trips for every one: First, the planning and anticipation; then the trip itself; and then all the memories for many years.

However, if you know your wife loves surprises, then that's terrific for you and her, which is what counts.

But do try to give her about a week or so.

This is a major trip, and there are "hair, makeup, wardrobe" committees that need to be set in motion :D

She will be thrilled with the idea, whenever you "announce" it!

Good job!!

GeezerCouple

What a wonderful surprise!

I would recommend that you hustle on over to Amazon and purchase a copy Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports. This book is a great resource for first time visitors and will offer suggestions on what to see/do (either DIY or by guided tour) in each of your ports of call.

Edited by dogs4fun

I never use third party sites for booking things, but have done a couple of times in Italy. Have a look at http://www.venere.com They often have some good hotel rates in Italy, but be sure to look at the hotel's own site too. If the hotel is the same price, or slightly cheaper, then book direct with the hotel.

We also use TripAdvisor.com and Expedia.com for hotels (and for reviews!).

But in addition to price, check cancellation policies.

Or free breakfasts or other perks.

Sometimes the same/similar price can have totally different policies.

If you can find the same price with last minute cancellation, then that gives you flexibility to find "last minute prices" elsewhere.

(This isn't too helpful from a cruise ship, given Internet constraints, but perhaps during the first few days in Rome, for last minute checking. Some of these specials can be very good values. And sometimes we find them for the SAME hotel we were already at. We have different last names, so we just book the new, less expensive reservation under the "other name", and once that is fully confirmed, then we cancel the other reservation. But do not cancel first and plan to rebook. Doing it in that order risks ending up with nothing...)

GeezerCouple

You can join the roll call for your cruise and join in with others who have private tours arranged if you don't want to do it on your own, and also possibly share a ride to the port which is an hour away.

Another vote for looking into an apt rental.....we stayed here twice:

http://www.vrbo.com/194513...loved the location and the apt.

Have a wonderful time...Europe is fabulous!

Edited by Love the beach

Hey Cruise People,

What a wonderful gift! But I would strongly urge you to unveil the surprise well prior to the day before you all leave for your first European trip. Going to Europe, particularly on a cruise with multiple ports, is not something you just get up and do in 24 hours. Most people will want some time to think about what they need to bring, and that includes clothing. There are weight restrictions on luggage, and different clothing needs along the way. You don't just do that overnight. Then there are things like toiletries, electronics, you name it. I start putting my things together for a trip like this well in advance, and from lists that I have refined over time.

In addition to all that, for me, the anticipation of a trip and the planning are a huge part of the enjoyment. You know your wife best, perhaps she doesn't care about those things.

But going to Europe for the first time on 24 hours notice? As others have said, this is a major trip. Respectfully, you should seriously consider when you tell your wife.

I hope you all have a great time.

Edited by Turtles06

We are doing the same cruise as you the next month. We arriving 4 days early in Rome. We are taking a private tour with a guide through a company called Rome Cabs. The tour is called Seven Wonders of Ancient Rome. I don't have any excursions planned in Palma. That will be a laid back day. In Livorno, we are doing the NCL excursion that includes The Statue Of David plus climbing the Leaning Tower of Pisa. In Naples, we are doing Capri Isle of Romance. Pompeii is another popular sight from Naples. Hope this helps.

Edited by Crazy planning mom