Missing MDR time can we go to Select?

jsf

If we are late getting back to ship and miss our regular time for dinner in the MDR (6PM) can we go to Select? How would we do that, just show up and request a table?

J.

I don't think so. Select diners pre-pay the gratuities, and I believe that have a set number of tables for those diners. May have to use the buffet or try one of the specialty resturants.

Select is often overbooked these days. They can't just add extra people, although Celebrity in general tries hard to satisfy customers. But by showing up without making prior arrangements, it's likely that someone else will have to wait in line, someone who booked Select and paid the gratuities up front.

So, in general, either make prior arrangements if you want to deviate from your dining assignment, or head up to the buffet that night.

If you are seated at a large table, keep in mind that your table mates will likely be held up that night waiting for you -- the waiters try not to take anyone's orders until everyone shows up. So if you aren't going to eat in the dining room, try to let one of your table mates know, or stop at the entry and tell one of the Maitre'D's so the message gets to your waiter.

I have returned late from excursions and missed my dinner time. I went to Select and explained the situation. We were seated. Now I book select. The flexible time option is attractive. I also don't feel tied to a specific table or waiter.

Not necessarily so. There are ports where sail away is 8 p.m. And I have even seen some where sail away was as late as midnight.

Don't forget overnight stops where you are out for the day and return to the ship for dinner...just late for your early seating time.

What if you are in Aqua class and eat in Blu most of the time but you don't like the menu one night? Can you go to Select dining cause maybe the main dining room menu is particularly good one night?

How does that work regarding Blu?

Sherry

What if you are in Aqua class and eat in Blu most of the time but you don't like the menu one night? Can you go to Select dining cause maybe the main dining room menu is particularly good one night?

How does that work regarding Blu?

Sherry

just ask the blu maitre d' first. Usually it isn't a problem

If you think you maybe late back ask the mtd the day before if they can accommodate you in select. If not use the alternatives

When we were in Aqua and wanted to use the mdr as blue was packed out and in a bit if a mess, the HD said we were welcome to use the mdr but the mdr mtd didn't agree. We pointed out that the hd said we could and suddenly we were allowed.

We didn't like Blu and tried to eat in MDR. One night we were told they were full. Another night we were told we had to wait an hour (so we didn't go). The third time waited for 30 minutes, were seated right by the kitchen (literally I could see in. We left. If it is busy you will be out of luck.

You won't miss your dining time....you have to be ON the ship 30 mins. prior to sail away...and if you want dinner, you'll get to the ship in time to eat! Very simple and logical!

Our cruise this July has one port where we overnight and another port where we are there until 3am. Likewise our cruise the following summer has 2 ports where we are there until 11pm. Pretty sure we'd miss all dinner seatings if we don't arrive back until 30 min prior to sail away. Very simple and logical! ;) :D

This thread may have taken a new turn, but I'll take on the question of Aqua diners "just showing up at Select and there's no problem". Yes, that can happen on some cruises if Select is not already overbooked. But more and more today, Select is sold out. So if Blue diners want to go to the MDR, and they go to the Select line without having made previous arrangements, that means that someone from Select will have to wait for a table. After all, those Select diners can't just go to Blue to even things out. That's why it's important for Blu guests to coordinate with the Maitre D of Blu who will find out if it is possible to dine at the MDR. Often it is, sometimes in the Select area, but sometimes in the Traditional area. It's not a good idea to "just show up" at the Select line.

We were select on our last 11 night cruise and unless we booked days ahead days. we had a long wait or were told the only seats were at 8:30. We like to eat at 6 and never later than 7. Even early the morning of we could not book the time we wanted . We were told to show up and wait. Then they stick you where ever they want and all the best tables are booked.

You can order from the dining room menu and have it delivered to your cabin

from my experience it is no.

They check your card. it is necessary to control the dining load.

if you return late a suggestion would be the Bistro on 5

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Please remember that dining assignments on Celebrity are capacity controlled --- so many slots for Blu, Select, Early and Late Traditional dining. Sometimes one of these may be lightly booked and have open spaces, but it is by no means guaranteed. However, the exception might be on a late port day, when a number of people may eat off the ship or just get back too late for the dining room. Otherwise, the buffet is always available and seems to be improved over the last year or so.

If we are late getting back to ship and miss our regular time for dinner in the MDR (6PM) can we go to Select? How would we do that, just show up and request a table?

J.

What would happen to the people who chose Select dining if anyone who has MDR and decided that they did not want to go to MDR showed up in the Select dining room. So the answer is "no" although some people tend to ignore the fact that they are not welcome in the Select dining room. If you miss your 6 PM slot, eat in the buffet.

DON

My answer is....just try and be considerate of your fellow passengers.

If you are going to skip a meal some night, and know ahead of time, it is considerate to tell those at your table, or your waiter (if you are in fixed seating) that you will not be there so that they don't sit there waiting for you to arrive. If you have a reserved time in Select, just let the hostess know that you will not be there so that time may be opened up to someone else who is waiting.

If you are assigned to Blu because you are booked in Aqua or a suite, you need to check with the Maitre d' to see if you may be accommodated elsewhere on a specific night.

If you are assigned fixed seating in the MDR - early or late - it is courteous to show up at your assigned time - not 1/2 hour later.

Most people who book Aqua do so because of Blu. To suddenly decide one does not like the menu and just go to the MDR (fixed or select) creates havoc.

It is all about capacity control. There are options if you don't like a particular menu or are going to miss your assigned dining time. Room service, buffet, Bistro on Five, and specialty restaurants.

No one will ever go hungry on a cruise!

happyscmom:

I sure hope we like Blu more than you. I would hate that I paid extra for it and then didn't like it and then we have the hassle of trying to get into the MDR. Everyone above is saying that does not work. Eating in the buffet often if we don't like Blu does not sound good at all.

There are so many mixed reviews about Blu. Some love it and wouldn't sail without it and others like yourself don't like it at all.

GIMLETGAL:

Thank you for all of your comments. I thought it summed it up pretty well. I certainly don't want to create havoc. I was not aware that it was that big of a deal to go to Select dining one night.

Edited by poolwife

...... I certainly don't want to create havoc. I was not aware that it was that big of a deal to go to Select dining one night.
No big deal or creating havoc at all.

None of us here can predict in advance what the situation will be in Select dining on your ship at the time you want to eat there.

They may be packed with people waiting, or they may have lots of available space at that time.

It is easy enough just to ask the maitre d' or dining room hostess (or whoever is stationed at the entrance at the time) and if you are told no, then eat elsewhere, or you may be asked to come back later.

We have also been on cruises where they had open dining in the dining room on evenings when the ship stayed in port late.