I thought of something Celebrity might do for Elite/Elite Plus...

Bruin Steve

After participating on yet another Drink Package thread…which included, of course, the typical discussion of what it takes to “break even” on the Drink Packages—Now about seven drinks per night per person—but you can substitute part of that number with things like soft drinks and specialty coffees…

And, after considering upgrading my cabin category on an upcoming cruise due to price drops and special offerings…

It occurred to me that there IS something Celebrity might consider doing for its Elite and Elite Plus Captains Club members.

Now, typically, I haven’t given these things much thought—always figured that whatever they gave me was a plus—that they really didn’t have to do anything…though I do appreciate the perks they do give.

But, here’s the thing: Among the perks I get as an “Elite Plus” cruiser under the new benefits are…Free drinks from 5:00 to 7:00 pm each evening…and…free specialty coffees…

Now, on most cruises, absent any sort of “123Go!” or “Pick Your Perk” promotion, I NEVER buy the drinks package…Why? As an Elite cruiser, it was REALLY hard to realize any value from it. Most cruises, most days, I am off the ship in port most days. I return to the ship late afternoon, dress for dinner, then head straight to the Elite Drinking Lounge—where I have my free drinks from 5:00 to 7:00--then leave for My Time Dining—where I typically drink Iced Tea. If I have anything else to drink that evening, I just put it on my tab. No way to drink the necessary 7 drinks to break even. Now, with the new Elite Plus perks including specialty coffees, I can’t even lessen that total having Cappuccinos or Espressos at breakfast or with dessert after dinner.

Now, let’s add the 123Go! Deals and Pick Your Perk deals to the equation. Suddenly, it makes a little more sense to get the Drink Package—assuming I’m booking in a category that only gets to pick one of the three (as in my Silhouette W. Caribbean cruise in March 2016 or two of the three (as in my July 2016 Europe Constellation) cruise…because the choice is a $200 or $300 OBC versus the Drink Package—so, theoretically, the Drink Package is only costing me $200 or $300…So, much easier to hit that “break even”…

Anyway, it’s no big deal because it’s FREE, isn’t it? Well…not exactly.

For my upcoming June Millennium Alaska cruise, there was a major price jump between Inside cabins and OVs, Verandas, etc….Why? Because the 123Go! was being offered on OV and above only. But, recently, first, the 123Go! went away…and the prices on the upper categories dropped…then they came in with the “Pick Your Perk”—which applied to only OVs and above…and I looked at the rates and they had a really low rate on the OVs. So, I called my TA…and found out that the PYP did NOT apply to the advertised cheap OV rate…To get the PYP on an OV on my sailing, you needed to book a rate that was $400 pp HIGHER than the low advertised rate…IOW, you were basically paying the same either way to get the Drink Package.

What this tells you…or reminds you…is that there is no such thing as “FREE”. Either you get a lower rate and pay full price for the Package—or—you get a great free package promotion but the cost is really just hidden in the rate.

So, when they offer this as a promotion, EVERYONE is really paying for it in the blended rate…including Elite and Elite Plus cruisers—for whom that Drink Package is hardly the deal it is for the non-Elite cruisers. So, in a way, it’s like taking away the perks from your most “loyal” customers.

So, here is my idea: On those cruises where a 123Go!-type promotion is offered, Celebrity should do just a little bit more for their Elite and/or Elite Plus cruisers—just to even out the promotion a bit…Some possibilities: 1) Change the deal for the Elite/Elite Plus so that, when everyone gets one of three, E/E+ get two of three…where others get 2 of 3, E/E+ get 3 of 3… or 2) Rather than getting a “Classic” Drink Package as the promotion, Elite/Elite Plus get automatically upgraded to the “Premium” package…

Without some change like that, it greatly diminishes the value of attaining Elite or Elite Plus status. Probably the best perk of such status has always been the drinking hours…and one of the few perks they added to the new Elite Plus status is those free specialty coffees…With the 123Go! promotions, neither is much of a benefit at all…

The Elite/elite Plus drinks are of no value to us, not because we don't drink but because we don't eat until 8:30-9. For us 5-7 is too early for pre-dinner drinks.

Like your idea of free upgrade to beverage pkg, but doubt they would do that.

Steve- I agree- 100% - I got an offer for the booking of a Concierce Cabin we would have got Tipping included, Drink Package and 300 Dollar OBC- well the cost would have been 600 Dollars / Euros ( they worth quite the same now ) so it was NO REAL Bargain- Concierge on board Solstice Class ships are not worth going anyway- different on Milli- class there you get a slightly bigger cabin. I don´t care for them Canapees- I can do without a rose and I can mangae with the waffle robe. Only Plus of Concierge would have been the larger selection of breakfast stuff!

As a newbie to cruising in general and Celebrity in particular, I think there is far too much emphasis put on "loyalty". Those who are truly loyal shouldn't need bribes. Instead of existing or even new added bennies for Elite+, how about some "welcome to Celebrity's" perqs for newcomers? Note there is no smilie at the end of the post; this is a serious suggestion.

Well I truly understad your comment Gottagowhen. I appreciate some of the perks- some are just a joke really- buy much get a little- thats what it amounts to! I was quite uncertain to book wether X´s Silhouette or HAL´s Niew Amsterdam- all in the balance I took the Silly- as I call her! Beautyfull ship, free drinks- if you are prepared to take quite early. For all drinks after dinner one has to pay. Free laundry- nice but without ironing- so there is always a little something missing. I often thought give if you want to give X- but then properly- not such "lukewarm" giveings!

The free 200 Internet minutes I get now are great- but usually the Internet is so slow you spend half the minutes waiting- well that would be with a Internet- Package you buy the same..!

For my upcoming June Millennium Alaska cruise, there was a major price jump between Inside cabins and OVs, Verandas, etc….Why? Because the 123Go! was being offered on OV and above only. But, recently, first, the 123Go! went away…and the prices on the upper categories dropped…then they came in with the “Pick Your Perk”—which applied to only OVs and above…and I looked at the rates and they had a really low rate on the OVs. So, I called my TA…and found out that the PYP did NOT apply to the advertised cheap OV rate…To get the PYP on an OV on my sailing, you needed to book a rate that was $400 pp HIGHER than the low advertised rate…IOW, you were basically paying the same either way to get the Drink Package.

What this tells you…or reminds you…is that there is no such thing as “FREE”.

Might not be completely free but sometimes it is a good deal.

I've just booked a cruise on Solstice over Christmas. A verandah cabin with the PYP beverage package included worked out cheaper than an interior cabin and paying extra for the beverage package.

That sounds like a good deal to me. :D I'm sure we'll get our money's worth in drinks, we did on RCI without over-indulging too much. ;)

I think there are two issues

1. They need to keep it all simple

2. More and more people are qualifying for these things, so what can they do, without it costing a fortune.

Offer more to regular cruisers, not more to people who used to be regular cruisers and now don't need to be because they've attained everlasting elite status.

Simples.

There is no doubt that the 123go, pick your perk and the new suite benefits all diminish the benefits of being Elite or Elite Plus. We are Elite+ but have yet to use an Elite drink voucher as the timing finishes way to early for us. Plus if you have a drinks package you can use anywhere on the ship at any time why trot down at 5pm just because you have a voucher.

The internet discount of the unlimited package is good and we will use a bit of the Laundry but that is it. The internet is no benefit at all if you book a RS or above and you are probably not being charged for the laundry in those either so apart from priority tendering in the one port we tender at what are we getting - not much that isn't covered elsewhere.

I think the whole Captains Club benefits is in need of a serious rethink because many other things devalue any benefits we get - perhaps that is the intention!!

Gordon

Truly that drink package, or atleast the OBC is in the price of the cruise. Especially when it s not combinable with Senior Rates or State Rates, but compare Celebrity with a beverage package to Azamara, Oceania or Crystal or Regent, it is still a great value.

When they first came out with the 123 Go bev offer, we declined it and went with just the $200 OBC and the Elite cocktail hour. At that point we were still in mode of a glass or two wine before dinner, and then a thoughtfully selected bottle of fine wine with dinner.

The next time we went with the bev package, and loved that we had hardly any bill at the end of the cruise. We did upgrade to premium, but that was way less than what we had been paying for fine wine by the bottle, though you could argue that the wine was not as good.

On that cruise we were with a group where many were first time cruisers, so we did't even bother with the elite lounge.

The free upgrade might be nice, or maybe one complementary specialty dining. Something of value above and beyond what we paid for our cabin. For those who are Elite and book inside cabins, the cocktail party is a great benefit, but I agree that for those of us with 123 Go Bev packages, the value is deminished, and for those cruises where it is still held in the observation lounge, it takes a way a lounge that many people who aren't elite enjoy.

So, here is my idea: On those cruises where a 123Go!-type promotion is offered, Celebrity should do just a little bit more for their Elite and/or Elite Plus cruisers—just to even out the promotion a bit…Some possibilities: 1) Change the deal for the Elite/Elite Plus so that, when everyone gets one of three, E/E+ get two of three…where others get 2 of 3, E/E+ get 3 of 3… or 2) Rather than getting a “Classic” Drink Package as the promotion, Elite/Elite Plus get automatically upgraded to the “Premium” package…

Without some change like that, it greatly diminishes the value of attaining Elite or Elite Plus status. Probably the best perk of such status has always been the drinking hours…and one of the few perks they added to the new Elite Plus status is those free specialty coffees…With the 123Go! promotions, neither is much of a benefit at all…

First off let me say that overall I am happy with our Elite+ perks, but if we were going to change them or add more benefits the above idea does nothing for us as we always book inside cabins and they are never included in any of the PYP or 1-2-3 Go Promotions.

What my wish list would be is a 40-50% discount on all drink packages for Elite+ Members. If Zenith get them for free, why shouldn't we get a nice discount? The 10% they offer us now doesn't even cover the gratuity and is laughable.

And while I'm at it the 15% specialty restaurant discount is also a joke as once you board the ship you are often offered 25% and greater discounts to dine in one of those restaurants.

As a newbie to cruising in general and Celebrity in particular, I think there is far too much emphasis put on "loyalty". Those who are truly loyal shouldn't need bribes. Instead of existing or even new added bennies for Elite+, how about some "welcome to Celebrity's" perqs for newcomers? Note there is no smilie at the end of the post; this is a serious suggestion.

Offer more to regular cruisers, not more to people who used to be regular cruisers and now don't need to be because they've attained everlasting elite status.

Simples.

They offer quite a bit to "newcomers"...and to "regular cruisers"...and to EVERYONE. You get a great cruise experience for the price you pay.

But "loyalty programs" are the standard procedure in many industries today...not only cruise lines but hotel companies, airlines, even grocery stores and restaurants. The idea is they want to keep hold of their "best" customers--the ones who use their services most often and pump the most money into their coffers. They want to make it just a little more attractive for those customers to book with them than to go with one of their competitors...

And they want to give those who haven't used them as much something to AIM FOR. If you are a "newbie", they want you to know that, after just a few more cruises, you can start getting some nice little extras...and then, a few more after that, you get some free drinks and free internet and a free load of laundry...and if you stick with them and book more, you get a little more internet...and another load of laundry and some free specialty coffees...These perks really don't cost them all that much compared to the thousands of dollars these frequent cruisers put into their pockets. It's just good marketing.

But, to keep that program attractive, they've got to make those perks desirable to those cruisers--actually, to all cruisers. Some will not be attractive to everyone. Some people just don't drink. Some don't worry about laundry--especially if they usually take shorter cruises. Some find the internet, even if free, a bother. But the idea remains the same, in general: If you book with us again and again and again, we will give you just a little something for it.

And, DYKWIA, who is to say that WE are not "regular cruisers"...We definitely are. And, over the years we've been cruising, we have put a very large sum of money into the pockets of Celebrity and Royal Caribbean...We've taken 40+ cruises, most of them with the RCCL brands...including many LONG cruises...and many in Suites and Concierge cabins...which is why we are Elite Plus and, without benefit of any reciprocity, Diamond--and almost Diamond Plus. Celebrity should very much want to keep us coming to them. Right now, we have four future cruises over the next little over of a year booked with Celebrity. So, yeah, we are the folks they designed those "loyalty programs" for...

But they also want you guys to want to get to that same place. That is why they make it so easy to get to each subsequent level.

But, so, what do we deserve for all of that "loyalty"? Frankly, really, nothing. We don't cruise for the "perks". We cruise for the cruise itself. HOWEVER, as long as the system exists, I will not turn down perks...Because, guess what? We've actually paid for them over our years of cruising. Again, remember, the cost of everything is accounted for somewhere in the pricing. With the loyalty programs, it's just that the reward is delayed--you only get to cash in after you reach a certain point. Is that fair? Sure it is. It's MARKETING. And we ALL pay marketing costs. If Celebrity decides to push the brand in Asia and goes into a major advertising campaign in China and Japan, the cost of that campaign is aslo accounted for in the rates they charge everywhere. Heck, if your favorite bar gives out free drinks to ladies on "Ladies Night", they are blending the cost of that into their overall pricing so that, guys, you are actually subsidizing it--and you will never get a free drink out of it. It's MARKETING.

All I am noting here is that the two forms of marketing--the loyalty program--where certain perks are awarded to some for a good reason...and the 123Go! promotion--that rewards everyone with perks that are entirely inclusive of some of the major loyalty program perks...actually work to minimize the loyalty program.

First off let me say that overall I am happy with our Elite+ perks, but if we were going to change them or add more benefits the above idea does nothing for us as we always book inside cabins and they are never included in any of the PYP or 1-2-3 Go Promotions.

What my wish list would be is a 40-50% discount on all drink packages for Elite+ Members. If Zenith get them for free, why shouldn't we get a nice discount? The 10% they offer us now doesn't even cover the gratuity and is laughable.

And while I'm at it the 15% specialty restaurant discount is also a joke as once you board the ship you are often offered 25% and greater discounts to dine in one of those restaurants.

I'm with you...I also find the "discount" perks laughable as they later offer EVERYONE even better discounts...

As to the 123Go! thing, we USUALLY book much higher category cabins--often Concierge or even Suites...But, for various budgetary reasons (as in I just recently retired and have no idea how much money I can spend since I no longer receive a regular paycheck...and we're already blowing the budget this year on a very expensive Galapagos cruise just two weeks later), we decided to do this extra Alaska cruise "on the cheap"--and opted for an inside cabin as well. But, having watched prices, I noted the higher categories drop a little--and we considered upgrading...and that's when I found that upgrading costs $400 pp MORE in order to be "eligible" for the Pick Your Perk!

So, it's $400 either way...Now, that perk MIGHT be worth $400 to a non-elite cruiser...but, for us, owning that difference between free drinks 5-7 and free drinks at other times, is NOT worth anywhere near that number...

Which got me thinking about our two 2016 cruises--where we ARE in higher category cabins...and paying a higher price that includes the 123Go Free Drinks package...and how that same $400 pp per week charge is hidden in the pricing...If I want that balcony, I cannot avoid that charge...

Bruin Steve,

When I read your account of a typical day on a cruise, it fit our day as well. The drinks packages don't make sense for us, since we enjoy happy and generally don't drink before 5pm.

I was highly irritated that on our recent Century cruise we were asked about 15 times if we wanted the drinks packages the first day.

I suppose if you drink seven cocktails a day and aren't elite, the DPs might work for you, but if I drink seven martini's (only cocktail I really like), I would be under the table.

We drink wine more than anything.

Anyway, I like your idea, but not sure how it works for X and their profits.

So, it's $400 either way...Now, that perk MIGHT be worth $400 to a non-elite cruiser...but, for us, owning that difference between free drinks 5-7 and free drinks at other times, is NOT worth anywhere near that number....

I've kept track of everything we've ever spent on board with Celebrity since our first cruise with them in 2002 and it was not even worth it before we got the Elite+ perks, but now that we do get those perks, you are correct its' not worth anywhere near that number.

I think the idea is a good one. We are Elite+. Our last cruise we booked on land. We went with the 123go all in. After doing all the math our A1 cabin with the promo cost us about $150 pp to have the drink package. We still went to the Elite event in the evenings and then to Blu.

We book a cruise while onboard. They gave us the 123go all in. When I got home my parent wanted to book the same cruise. My parents booked the cruise and got the same price as I did, but without the 123go all in promo.

They offer quite a bit to "newcomers"...and to "regular cruisers"...and to EVERYONE. You get a great cruise experience for the price you pay.

But "loyalty programs" are the standard procedure in many industries today...not only cruise lines but hotel companies, airlines, even grocery stores and restaurants. The idea is they want to keep hold of their "best" customers--the ones who use their services most often and pump the most money into their coffers. They want to make it just a little more attractive for those customers to book with them than to go with one of their competitors...

And they want to give those who haven't used them as much something to AIM FOR. If you are a "newbie", they want you to know that, after just a few more cruises, you can start getting some nice little extras...and then, a few more after that, you get some free drinks and free internet and a free load of laundry...and if you stick with them and book more, you get a little more internet...and another load of laundry and some free specialty coffees...These perks really don't cost them all that much compared to the thousands of dollars these frequent cruisers put into their pockets. It's just good marketing.

But, to keep that program attractive, they've got to make those perks desirable to those cruisers--actually, to all cruisers. Some will not be attractive to everyone. Some people just don't drink. Some don't worry about laundry--especially if they usually take shorter cruises. Some find the internet, even if free, a bother. But the idea remains the same, in general: If you book with us again and again and again, we will give you just a little something for it.

And, DYKWIA, who is to say that WE are not "regular cruisers"...We definitely are. And, over the years we've been cruising, we have put a very large sum of money into the pockets of Celebrity and Royal Caribbean...We've taken 40+ cruises, most of them with the RCCL brands...including many LONG cruises...and many in Suites and Concierge cabins...which is why we are Elite Plus and, without benefit of any reciprocity, Diamond--and almost Diamond Plus. Celebrity should very much want to keep us coming to them. Right now, we have four future cruises over the next little over of a year booked with Celebrity. So, yeah, we are the folks they designed those "loyalty programs" for...

But they also want you guys to want to get to that same place. That is why they make it so easy to get to each subsequent level.

But, so, what do we deserve for all of that "loyalty"? Frankly, really, nothing. We don't cruise for the "perks". We cruise for the cruise itself. HOWEVER, as long as the system exists, I will not turn down perks...Because, guess what? We've actually paid for them over our years of cruising. Again, remember, the cost of everything is accounted for somewhere in the pricing. With the loyalty programs, it's just that the reward is delayed--you only get to cash in after you reach a certain point. Is that fair? Sure it is. It's MARKETING. And we ALL pay marketing costs. If Celebrity decides to push the brand in Asia and goes into a major advertising campaign in China and Japan, the cost of that campaign is aslo accounted for in the rates they charge everywhere. Heck, if your favorite bar gives out free drinks to ladies on "Ladies Night", they are blending the cost of that into their overall pricing so that, guys, you are actually subsidizing it--and you will never get a free drink out of it. It's MARKETING.

All I am noting here is that the two forms of marketing--the loyalty program--where certain perks are awarded to some for a good reason...and the 123Go! promotion--that rewards everyone with perks that are entirely inclusive of some of the major loyalty program perks...actually work to minimize the loyalty program.

All good points Bruin Steve. I understand the incentive programs. Many decades ago I spent one college summer selling door-to-door (like Fuller Brush, but a different company). Housewife opens the door, first thing I would do is to hand her a "free gift", a patterned plastic tablecloth suitable for kids to draw on with crayons. Once she took it, she usually felt obligated to listen to my pitch. Once she heard what was on offer, she would usually buy.

In general, I would rather see lower prices rather than gimmicky incentive programs, whether in the grocery store or on a cruise. I am really sorry that the Penny's experiment failed. If Celebrity et al are going to offer incentives to keep coming back, I won't turn them down. But with cruising in general and Celebrity in particular, there is an older demographic. Us geezers are going to die off no matter how loyal we are and how many cruises we take. Shifting incentives so as to focus more on attracting newcomers rather than keeping old-timers would seem to make sense in the long term. The 123Go packages do seem to be a step in that direction. Downside of course is that this irritates those who have come to expect "loyalty rewards" and they may start looking for other lines that value their loyalty more. But back to my original post on this thread, I would still rather have them earn my loyalty with a good product and good service than to buy it with price manipulations and reward gimmicks.

Stan

In general, I would rather see lower prices rather than gimmicky incentive programs...Shifting incentives so as to focus more on attracting newcomers rather than keeping old-timers would seem to make sense in the long term.

I, too, would prefer lower prices rather than the 123Go thing...Let us pick--and pay for--what we want. I sort of feel sorry for non-drinkers--kids, people who can't drink for addiction reasons, for health reasons, for religious reasons, etc. They get the short end of that drink package being blended into the pricing as well. The free tips or smaller OBC hardly counterbalance the alleged drink package value...

But those "loyalty programs" are designed as an incentive for younger, newer cruisers (yes, not "first-timers", but rather to those who have been on one, two, three cruises)--not for us long term customers...

Every additional cruise I do on Celebrity nets me nothing extra I don't already get...I'm already at the top, for all intent and purpose, at Elite Plus...

But, newer cruisers can look forward to moving up levels and netting additional perks every few cruises. It's similar to offering small increments between categories: For just a few dollars more, you get a window...and a few dollars more than that, a balcony, etc. With the loyalty program, the attraction to booking another cruise is that increment toward the next level

Not a single poster mentioned my favorite perk...."20% discount on any digital photo package at the Photo Gallery." Has anyone checked this out? Why on earth would I as Elite+ need this? I find it rather insulting. I seem to recall the least expensive photo package was $175. Who came up with this perk idea?

When we sail RCCL as Diamond we get 1 photo free. I think that is a much better deal.

We will have the 1-2-3 package on our Feb. 2016 cruise so time will tell. We have never had a beverage package, so I know not of what you speak. We just go to 5 to 7 and then go to dinner in Blu.

Not a single poster mentioned my favorite perk...."20% discount on any digital photo package at the Photo Gallery." Has anyone checked this out? Why on earth would I as Elite+ need this? I find it rather insulting. I seem to recall the least expensive photo package was $175. Who came up with this perk idea?

When we sail RCCL as Diamond we get 1 photo free. I think that is a much better deal.

We will have the 1-2-3 package on our Feb. 2016 cruise so time will tell. We have never had a beverage package, so I know not of what you speak. We just go to 5 to 7 and then go to dinner in Blu.

Totally agree with you on this. Celebrity does charge more than the other cruise lines on many things.

I, too, would prefer lower prices rather than the 123Go thing...Let us pick--and pay for--what we want. I sort of feel sorry for non-drinkers--kids, people who can't drink for addiction reasons, for health reasons, for religious reasons, etc. They get the short end of that drink package being blended into the pricing as well. The free tips or smaller OBC hardly counterbalance the alleged drink package value...

The key word is alleged.

With the gratuities or OBC perks the value of those is actual ie $12pp per day grats is $12pp per day to both Celebrity (unless they are stiffing their staff) and to the passenger. Whereas the value of the drinks package is at cost to Celebrity so possibly as low or even lower than the other two perks, but retail value to passengers who "buy" their drinks on the package.

For those of us that enjoy a wee drop or two it's a great deal, and for those that don't there are the other options so no-one misses out. ;)

I haven't noticed any price increases during these perks deals myself - not saying there aren't any, just I haven't seen them - so don't know what the scale of the price increases are. Are these price increases across all cabin types, including insides that don't qualify for the perks?

On the cruise I booked I compared the price of an inside cabin which didn't allow the beverage perk, with the price of a verandah cabin which did include the perk. It was a no-brainer - the verandah cabin was actually cheaper than the inside cabin plus cost of beverage package. If the price of the inside cabins wasn't increased during the perks sale then I got a very good deal indeed.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

For those of us that enjoy a wee drop or two it's a great deal, and for those that don't there are the other options so no-one misses out. ;)
Those who do not want a drink package miss out whenever they book a cruise that provides all 3 perks. There is no other option, so they end up paying for a drink package they don't want.

The only way to avoid it is that occasionally you may qualify for a deeply discounted cruise fare that comes without the perks.

It would be nice if they would let you have the option of taking a second onboard credit in place of the drink package (since they claim that the drink package is worth more than the onboard credit), but they won't do that.

Edited by varoo