Ladies Dressy Shorts - Yay or Nay?

Do you believe that Dressy Shorts should be allowed in the MDR for ladies?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that Dressy Shorts should be allowed in the MDR for ladies?

Did you see the price of those shorts?:eek:.......it is just not in my DNA

to pay 175.00 for shorts:eek:.......and I wouldn't wear them to dinner

anyway...then again, I don't bring shorts for dinner;)

I spend pretty good money on clothes, but agree, no way in h-e-double hockey sticks I'm paying $175 for shorts, particularly shorts that look like something I would run in. I agree that I wouldn't wear shorts to dinner, but then I don't cruise on ships where this would be even remotely acceptable.

Edited by ducklite

I appreciate your opinions ladies!!! Thanks!

Well at least those of you who were able to give feedback without being snarky to other posters. I don't know why it's so hard to give opinions without being nice to one another.

I will probably wear the shorts on board the first day with a short sleeve blouse.

As for the suggestions for Capris, they really aren't my style but I do appreciate your suggestions.

There are plenty of other options that would be suitable. A sun dress, maxi, or even a jeans skirt if you are sailing on some of the casual mass market lines.

I spend pretty good money on clothes, but agree, no way in h-e-double hockey sticks I'm paying $175 for shorts, particularly shorts that look like something I would run in.

ICYMI - the $175 shorts were the JCrew option, not the short ones in OP's first post. The JCrew shorts are much longer, and are made from wool/silk/cashmere.

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shorts/ingoodcompany/PRDOVR~B8563/B8563.jsp

The JCrew shorts do not look like something I would run in. If they do to you, we clearly go to different gyms :p

ICYMI - the $175 shorts were the JCrew option, not the short ones in OP's first post. The JCrew shorts are much longer, and are made from wool/silk/cashmere.

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shorts/ingoodcompany/PRDOVR~B8563/B8563.jsp

The JCrew shorts do not look like something I would run in. If they do to you, we clearly go to different gyms :p

Ah, that makes more sense. Still more than I would pay for shorts. I think the shorts as business attire look is very dated and not anything I would wear in a professional or elegant setting. MHO.

I just bought this outfit and I was considering bringing it on my upcoming cruise to wear to dinner one of the non-formal nights (I have 2 cocktail dresses for those nights).

What are your thoughts on something like this for a non-formal night?

new_85_653_6679_026_08?cache=on&wid=640&fmt=jpeg&qlt=70,1&resmode=sharp2&op_usm=1,1,5,0&fit=fit,1

Suitable for excursions (not city sightseeing ones) for around the pool deck, gym and the like but not even for the buffet.

My thought would be: could I wear these in the dining room at my country club? If yes, I'd wear them in the MDR (decidedly less upscale than my club). If no, then they don't come out at night…

That particular outfit shown by the OP just doesn't hit the mark to me. The shorts, while a nice print, do still look like running shorts. The tank is just a tank - a good utility piece. The shoes look just out of place to me. Now, put that short and tank with a platform espadrille and perhaps a straw fedora and a girl would be stylin' for a warm-weather tropical day. Take that same outfit and put it on a Med port - out of place.

Take that outfit with you and have fun, but just wear it during the day and you'll be fine.

We all have different lives that is for sure......I don't belong to

a "Country Club" and never have......I just know those are much too

short for me and I wouldn't wear them out to dinner.

We all have different lives that is for sure......I don't belong to

a "Country Club" and never have......I just know those are much too

short for me and I wouldn't wear them out to dinner.

Luckily for me that I'm not a 5'10 model!!! They're actually not as short on a normal gal. I'm a 5'6 size 4 and upsize because I don't like my shorts too fitted. On someone like me they come down a bit longer.

I also will not be wearing them with tank. I have a chiffon blouse and some cute flat strapped sandals which I will wear when I board in September [emoji8][emoji8][emoji8]

You asked for an opinion and here's mine: it's a tank top and shorts, not dining room attire. Even with a chiffon blouse, they're shorts. It doesn't matter that you've paid $175 for the shorts, they're just shorts and would be fine around the ship, pool, or on a shore excursion, but not in the dining room. Just my 2 cents worth.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

It doesn't matter that you've paid $175 for the shorts,

AGAIN, the shorts the OP is asking about cost $39 on the Limited Express website. NOT $175. The more expensive shorts are the totally different JCrew shorts linked in a subsequent post.

Though the facts are not accurate, I agree that the cost of an outfit never determines its appropriateness.

Though the facts are not accurate, I agree that the cost of an outfit never determines its appropriateness.

That is the point I was trying to make (my bolding), but was attempting to without having had my first morning coffee. LOL

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Edited by ger_77

Your attitude and attempt to be a troll? Yes, yes it is.

It was blunt, but certainly not troll like. When you ask for opinions you will get them, good, and, and ugly. If you don't want opinions, you shouldn't ask for them.

I've seen women dressed like that in every cruise I've been on. Hey, some women have the figure for it and it looks great. OP look up cruise pics on instagram and you will find a lot of under 35 year old women with the body for it dressed like that. Enjoy.

I don't care how great ones legs or figure, I think those shorts are cute for the beach but not for MDR. Too short. No way I can describe that as 'dressy shorts'..... whatever that might be. :D

I hope you find something you can wear that is a bit more tasteful for dining. :)

Price of a garment is no guarantee it is tasteful or appropriate. Those are like gym shorts we wore to play volleyball....... :)

Edited by sail7seas

I just bought this outfit and I was considering bringing it on my upcoming cruise to wear to dinner one of the non-formal nights (I have 2 cocktail dresses for those nights).

What are your thoughts on something like this for a non-formal night?

new_85_653_6679_026_08?cache=on&wid=640&fmt=jpeg&qlt=70,1&resmode=sharp2&op_usm=1,1,5,0&fit=fit,1

While I wouldn't wear these particular shorts (they're not my style) I, honestly, don't see an issue. I could see them being cruise casual and being worn on the first or last night (I am wearing a printed romper with a sweater those 2 nights) dining with either a chiffon blouse (like you said) or a light weight pull over or crochet sweater.

Going just a step further...if people are easily put off because of what someone else chooses to wear...that shouldn't bother you. That's their issue. I couldn't care less what people wear much the same I couldn't care less what people thought of my attire. As long as you feel good in it that's what counts. ☺

I've seen women dressed like that in every cruise I've been on. Hey, some women have the figure for it and it looks great. OP look up cruise pics on instagram and you will find a lot of under 35 year old women with the body for it dressed like that. Enjoy.

It has nothing to do with having the body for it but rather what is appropriate for dinner in a MDR. These shorts, even in a supermodel, are not. They would be fine for daytime, but not dinner, unless the OP meant she would wear them to the buffet.

While I wouldn't wear these particular shorts (they're not my style) I, honestly, don't see an issue. I could see them being cruise casual and being worn on the first or last night (I am wearing a printed romper with a sweater those 2 nights) dining with either a chiffon blouse (like you said) or a light weight pull over or crochet sweater.

Going just a step further...if people are easily put off because of what someone else chooses to wear...that shouldn't bother you. That's their issue. I couldn't care less what people wear much the same I couldn't care less what people thought of my attire. As long as you feel good in it that's what counts. ☺

The issue is whether or not something is appropriate not just that someone feels good in something.

The issue is whether or not something is appropriate not just that someone feels good in something.

Actually, I think if they feel good that matters more. What you find appropriate is relative. Not everyone has the same opinion - and that's ok😉