Gratuities to Increase

EpcotBill

The fact of the matter is that if you can't afford the entire package, don't cruise. I can't afford the insurance on a high powered Maserati sports car. Do I complain? Nope! I just don't buy Maseraties and instead buy cars I CAN afford. Simple as that.

It never fails to amuse me when people complain that they can't afford something, as if that is somehow the company's fault. Not being able to afford something is a fact of life for 99% of us.

As someone else said earlier: "Deal with it."

You took my comment WAY out of context. There is a HUGE difference between caring about where your money goes, and being able to afford a cruise.

I work hard for my money, and I care about how I spend it.

Just because I care about where the extra $20, or $100, or $1,000 dollars is going, doesn't mean I can't afford it.

Clearly I manage my money differently than you do.

As someone said earlier, "Deal with it".

Sheesh

I wasnt going to pre pay tips (final payment due in next week) but worked out the cost if I waited until August (without this increase) and due to Celebrity's favourable currency conversion online it will save me $50AUD to pre pay. And this confirms it.

You took my comment WAY out of context. There is a HUGE difference between caring about where your money goes, and being able to afford a cruise.

Just because I care about where the extra $20, or $100, or $1,000 dollars is going, doesn't mean I can't afford it.

Sheesh

We are no different than you. We have limited funds to do everything we want to do. So we chose what gives us the best value at the time, whether that is a cruise every two or three years, or some other big expense such as a remodel or new car.

Unlike some, however, we don't stand on a soapbox complaining about increasing prices. We understand that there will always be some things that will be priced out of our reach, and instead of complaining about how we are being "nickled and dimed", we chose something else to spend our limited funds on if we feel we can't afford something. Cruising is enjoyable, but it certainly isn't the only option out there to do, so we chose something we enjoy that we can afford at the time instead of complaining about how expensive it is. Sometimes that is a cruise - sometimes it is something else.

To paraphrase you: "Sheesh!"

Edited by SantaFeFan

add the cost of the gratuities to the employees salary and increase fares to cover them. Therefore the staff can rest assured that they are being paid correctly, passengers don't have to concern themselves with them and can get on with enjoying their holiday, and if anyone goes above and beyond and deserves anything extra they can be tipped in cash accordingly.

ImageUploadedByForums1431386495.882060.jpg.9595009249e8b99eed22c3639fc7e89d.jpg

On a 14 night cruise in a veranda we are talking $ 26.60 for 2. That is .0054% a cruise of $5000.

We are not rich, we plan our trips within our budget. I'm hoping this increase goes go to our waiters & cabin stewards who deserve it.

Love it when something is posted as "gospel" yet there is no source!

Everyone gets in an uproar, and we don't even know if it is "official".

Guess we'll all have to wait and see................Only 20 more days to June 1st.

On a 14 night cruise in a veranda we are talking $ 26.60 for 2. That is .0054% a cruise of $5000.

We are not rich, we plan our trips within our budget. I'm hoping this increase goes go to our waiters & cabin stewards who deserve it.

The waiters and stewards are more likely to receive extra cash tips so I hope this increase goes to the crew who work really hard behind the scenes and whom we never see. Like engine room, kitchen hand, plumbing maintenance, baggage handlers etc etc.

I agree with you, not happy with this auto tip program. it just encourages double tipping when you receive a service....they should just pay them a higher rate...up the price of the cruise and eliminate tipping altogether. I really dislike being part of the crew's wage issues.

I want to have a good time...not worry about the poor hard working crew from 3rd world nations having to send nickles and dimes home to feed their families. Wage issues should be totally a management issue..and people are soft on the issue because the money goes to the crew and so they can keep sticking us for higher and higher auto tip rates. Up the price of a drink package and everyone howls....Just pay them directly and take the passengers out of the loop. Bet Celebrity won't be so quick to up crew pay when they can't just dip into our pockets with the autotip.

People actually do care about where their money goes - whether they can afford an X cruise - or not.

You may not care - and that's great for you.

Between beverage package increases, gratuity increases, and everything else, it really starts to add up. Even though we can afford this cruise, it doesn't mean we have unlimited funds.

Edited by LabGuy64

Guess we'll all have to wait and see................Only 20 more days to June 1st.

So you're saying I posted this as "gospel"? I just posted what I know, believe it or don't. A poster after me did give a source but it's against the rules to mention a travel agency by name.

If people named their sources they soon wouldn't have sources. I'll think twice before I break any news in the future.

I do not know if the gratuities are really going up. But for the sake of my discussion let's say they are. I pulled out the Dailies from our first cruise on X in 2001 (Zenith to Bermuda). That damn vacation got us hooked. Here were the suggested gratuities (all are per person per day):

Waiter: $3.50

Asst Waiter: $2.00

Cabin Attendant: $3.50

Ass't Maitre'D: $0.75

Chief Housekeeper: $0.50

Total: $10.25 per person per day.

So if the increase is really true then is it really that much over the course of 14 years, less than 2% a year

Edited by cruisingdelt

I really dislike being part of the crew's wage issues.

I want to have a good time...not worry about the poor hard working crew from 3rd world nations having to send nickles and dimes home to feed their families. Wage issues should be totally a management issue..and people are soft on the issue because the money goes to the crew and so they can keep sticking us for higher and higher auto tip rates. Up the price of a drink package and everyone howls....Just pay them directly and take the passengers out of the loop. Bet Celebrity won't be so quick to up crew pay when they can't just dip into our pockets with the autotip.

I don't spend my time worrying "about the poor hard working crew from 3rd world nations having to send nickles and dimes home to feed their families". I am perfectly comfortable with the cruise lines and their crews deciding what works for them. They both have the experience, knowledge and familiarity with the systems in place that are clearly acceptable to the people who hire on to work on cruise ships. It is none of my business what their arrangements with each other are. I pay my cruise fare, and I pay the full tip amounts that are suggested. That is all that I can do - or should do, for that matter. I am not qualified to judge whether the crew is being paid appropriately or not.

I only know that every crew member that I have ever talked to has been working on cruise ships for many contract periods - some for a dozen years or more. They keep coming back, so the situation must be acceptable to them. I let them be the judge if they are being underpaid or not. They are the ones who know better than me if they are being paid well enough.

Absolutely none of my business. Just as it is none of my business how you earn and spend your money.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Well said dina...

Sheesh

Beginning on June 1, 2015 for all sailings beginning on or after July 1, 2015, gratuity rates will be increasing to the

following amounts:

· $12.95 per person per day in Staterooms

· $13.45 per person per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms

· $16.45 per person per day in Suites

Guests who have prepaid their gratuities (or who have prepaid gratuities on their reservation as a result of a sales promotion) by May 31, 2015 will not be charged the incremental gratuity rate once onboard.

Any guest sailing prior to July 1, 2015 will be subject to the existing gratuity rates ($12.00/day/person for Staterooms, $12.50/day/person for Concierge Class & AquaClass, and $15.50/day/person for suites).

The new gratuity increase is effective for all individual and group bookings.

An 18% gratuity will continue to be added to all beverage, mini-bar purchases, and spa & salon purchases onboard.

Wow! A $10-15 increase in the cost of a cruise! Wow! Inflation gone wild!

So, why does the cruise line keep an "auto tip program" in place? because it is much easier to get the money out of us to pay for crew raises than to up the price of the cruise directly

I don't spend my time worrying "about the poor hard working crew from 3rd world nations having to send nickles and dimes home to feed their families". I am perfectly comfortable with the cruise lines and their crews deciding what works for them. They both have the experience, knowledge and familiarity with the systems in place that are clearly acceptable to the people who hire on to work on cruise ships. It is none of my business what their arrangements with each other are. I pay my cruise fare, and I pay the full tip amounts that are suggested. That is all that I can do - or should do, for that matter. I am not qualified to judge whether the crew is being paid appropriately or not.

I only know that every crew member that I have ever talked to has been working on cruise ships for many contract periods - some for a dozen years or more. They keep coming back, so the situation must be acceptable to them. I let them be the judge if they are being underpaid or not. They are the ones who know better than me if they are being paid well enough.

Absolutely none of my business. Just as it is none of my business how you earn and spend your money.

People actually do care about where their money goes - whether they can afford an X cruise - or not.

You may not care - and that's great for you.

Between beverage package increases, gratuity increases, and everything else, it really starts to add up. Even though we can afford this cruise, it doesn't mean we have unlimited funds.

I totally agree with you. In the past 6 months X is really increasing everything. Here is another 8%. Some people must be ---- never caring where or what they pay. JMHO!

Yes, JUST DEAL WITH IT! If you really mean that, then let those of us who have the alls to express our opinions of all these increases, do so. If there is anyone who is so down on us that do express our displeasure about these increases want to pay our portion of the increase, just let us know and we will allow you to do so. LOL

Like the insurance man said, 'it is only $16 more than what the other insurance is and that is nothing.' I said to him, 'if it is nothing, pay it for me.' Guess what he said, 'Oh, I can't do that. That is $16 from my commission.' Then it became a BIG deal. LOL

So you're saying I posted this as "gospel"? I just posted what I know, believe it or don't. A poster after me did give a source but it's against the rules to mention a travel agency by name.

If people named their sources they soon wouldn't have sources. I'll think twice before I break any news in the future.

Thank you for posting the information. Please do not let one or two offensive posts stopped you from posting information.

Of course you can wait until then. By which time it will be too late.

I appreciate that this thread was posted.

The waiters and stewards are more likely to receive extra cash tips so I hope this increase goes to the crew who work really hard behind the scenes and whom we never see. Like engine room, kitchen hand, plumbing maintenance, baggage handlers etc etc.

As they didn't announce that the increase is to broaden the program I'd expect it will continue to go to the existing recipients. This is in line with standard US tipping practice covering staff giving direct service. This is also consistent with the recent increase in tips to bar service staff.

Facts from a $11.50 per pax tip perday to a $12.95 rate is $1.45 per day increase .This is then a 12.6% increase .

How many working people get a raise that is 12.6% ?

It's currently at $12 and being raised to $12.95, which is an 8% increase.

And further, that amount is being split amongst multiple groups of staff, both food staff and housekeeping, so nobody is getting an 8% raise.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by vulcan1971

It's currently at $12 and being raised to $12.95, which is an 8% increase.

And further, that amount is being split amongst multiple groups of staff, both food staff and housekeeping, so nobody is getting an 8% raise.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

When did X increase the tip rate per pax from $11.50 per day to $12 per day ?

Of course you can wait until then. By which time it will be too late.

I appreciate that this thread was posted.

Me too. I just paid for my trip in full and added gratuities. The celebrity exchange rate is excellent.

And yes - agree that existing distribution methods will remain. I just posted my comment as too many hardworking people not in direct customer contact seem to get ignored.

Edited by Pushka