Moaners

freddie1974

On board Britannia and having a great cruise so far. All around the ship I can hear people complaining about one thing or another (including one heated debate in a lift!). Yes, there are a few minor things so far but absolutely nothing that would stop me enjoying the cruise. The biggest gripe is a lack of full length mirror in the dressing area of the suite and lack or plug socket near any mirror outside the bathroom.

I will post a full review when home but so far the food has been superb, especially the private room we had in Sindhu last night (still not sure why we had a private room for 5 of us). The Thermal suite is excellent and we love the decor. Aft balconies (A726/7) are fantastic and being overlooked doesn't bother us in the slightest. Unlike the miserable b@&•#*d on the deck below us who wanted to know "do you want my cabin as well" when leaning on the rail...

Service has been great too, especially the cabin Steward and butler.

Someone moaned to me yesterday about the lack of reading lights - not sure he was impressed by my solution - buy a backlit Kindle! I do see his point but I prefer to focus on the many positives, not the few negatives.

I'm beginning to wonder whether P and O actually attract the moaners in our society. Reviews of other new ships launched by other cruise lines seem to much more positive (or if they are negative they highlight actual issues). Going on Britannia in July and hoping we don't come across them!

On board Britannia and having a great cruise so far. All around the ship I can hear people complaining about one thing or another (including one heated debate in a lift!). Yes, there are a few minor things so far but absolutely nothing that would stop me enjoying the cruise. The biggest gripe is a lack of full length mirror in the dressing area of the suite and lack or plug socket near any mirror outside the bathroom.

I will post a full review when home but so far the food has been superb, especially the private room we had in Sindhu last night (still not sure why we had a private room for 5 of us). The Thermal suite is excellent and we love the decor. Aft balconies (A726/7) are fantastic and being overlooked doesn't bother us in the slightest. Unlike the miserable b@&•#*d on the deck below us who wanted to know "do you want my cabin as well" when leaning on the rail...

Someone moaned to me yesterday about the lack of reading lights - not sure he was impressed by my solution - buy a backlit Kindle! I do see his point but I prefer to focus on the many positives, not the few negatives.

Well done Freddie on keeping positive. Just think how much happier a person you are, to them. Enjoy your cruise

Suze

I haven't sailed on Britannia but your comments about reading lights and lack of sockets etc does suggest that on this brand new ship the designers are still making the same mistakes as of old.

Adequate lighting is a must in any cabin or hotel room. Presumably the ship daily paper and Horizon (is it called that) are not available on a Kindle.

David.

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying Britannia & staying positive despite the 'moaners!'.

We're sailing on her on Saturday & are looking forward to getting away & I'm sure we'll have a brilliant time.

You'll have to let me know if you lean over far enough on your balcony rail if you can see my cabin C736 :D

With everything going on in the world I am forever thankful that I am healthy enough to be able to cruise & that finances allow me to; surely that is all that really matters :)

Joan

I haven't sailed on Britannia but your comments about reading lights and lack of sockets etc does suggest that on this brand new ship the designers are still making the same mistakes as of old.

Adequate lighting is a must in any cabin or hotel room. Presumably the ship daily paper and Horizon (is it called that) are not available on a Kindle.

David.

There is more than adequate lighting, it's just too bright for some people to cope with......

With everything going on in the world I am forever thankful that I am healthy enough to be able to cruise & that finances allow me to; surely that is all that really matters :)

Joan

Well said - totally agree.

Thanks for the positive comments Freddie - have a great time and don't let the moaners get you down!

For the person who thinks that its only P&O and new ships who get a hard time -- try checking out the Viking Cruise line forum. They're not a happy bunch over there at all ......

I think the moaning with regards to lighting in the stateroom is that there are not individual bedside lights so if one wants to read while other wants to sleep you have to have lights on both sides of the bed. To be honest it didnt cause us a problem and we loved the ship the only gripe I had was that the shaver socket in bathroom is not UK fitting and you need an adaptor which seems a silly oversight.

We had an aft cabin on Britannia last week.

There were four plug sockets in our cabin. One by the full length mirror, one on the television shelf, one under the dressing table and the one that is on all the time by the telephone socket on top of the dressing table.

Lighting is not the best. There are no bedside light option, but nothing major.

Ladies lighting by the mirrors for putting on your make up is poor. If I sail on her again I would take one with me.

The horizon and daily paper is not available for the kindle.

Although high level audible whinging and moaning appears endemic on P&O ships, due to some guests deeming it de rigueur, this is not restricted to P&O ships, with Celebrity and RCI having improved their quota every year.

Do not apportion blame to the ships, it is solely down to the guests, this being identified as the group collectively known by the title of "The Great British Total AH's".

Freddie you're just the passenger I'd get on great with. Hope to meet many like you when I sail on Britannia this July.

I'm preparing a list of sarcastic knock back comments to any moaners that cross my path!

I hope your cruise just gets better and better.

I I had was that the shaver socket in bathroom is not UK fitting and you need an adaptor which seems a silly oversight.

Yes, a brand new ship dedicated to the British market. Think of the modern car then compare with a bang up to date cruise ship!!

David

Absolutely agree that there is nothing wrong with the Britannia that would stop people enjoying their cruise, yes it's not perfect (what is ?) I felt that the lighting in the cabins does leave something to be desired. We went on the maiden and thought that the ship was stunning but have said that we are unlikely to go on her again, not because there is anything major wrong with her other than for us we found her a little to large.

We found the food fine and the service better than we have had some of the other ships.

Love your solution to the lack of reading lights. I just wish I could think of replies like that when people are moaning.

We all just need to stop and think about how lucky we are to be able to travel on cruises and stop worrying about minor problems.

Happy you are enjoying your cruise.

I had an aft suite too and really liked the layout of two separate rooms with a corridor and bathroom between. The shower is wicked too and my gf loved the whirlpool bath.

The hairdryer just about manages to stretch to the full length mirror, or you can unplug the kettle and use that I think and the mirror behind. Some might find having to stand and dry hair inconvenient though I guess (doesn't affect me as I have a no. 3 cut :D).

Whatever forum you look at there are the professional moaners - the amount of threads I have read over the years and utter drivel on them makes you wonder why we bother, only because the good outnumber the bad and I have picked up lots of tips over the years from these forums.

Keep the good stuff coming please.

What some say is invalid moaning others will say is valid criticism.

It all comes down to an individuals perspective and expectations.

Just because one passenger is satisfied with something doesn't mean that another one doesn't have the right not to be.

Edited by PurpleMoonlight

Valid criticism is fine - tell the people who can do something about it. Moaning to everyone you meet whilst onboard is not and I will continue to point out the error of your ways should you moan to me when onboard.

I agree with post above re Suite Layout (can't see how to quote from app version) - two separate rooms works much better than old layout. Having kids sleep in mother in laws suite rather than ours works even better though! Only small issue is that room is very separate and you can't always hear knocks on the door and more importantly kids can easily let themselves out unseen as there is no high level lock.

The Britannia is extremely similar to both Royal and Regal Princess but I see a major design trap which the "let's build a ship for the British market team" have fallen into and it will have major consequences for all the children sailing on her. Two funnels; what were they thinking, the American sisters only have the one with the children's club just by it. OK it will work day one but then day two they go to the wrong funnel with their parents. Where's the club? It was here yesterday, crying kids everywhere. Why do they never think these thing through?

Regards John

The Britannia is extremely similar to both Royal and Regal Princess but I see a major design trap which the "let's build a ship for the British market team" have fallen into and it will have major consequences for all the children sailing on her. Two funnels; what were they thinking, the American sisters only have the one with the children's club just by it. OK it will work day one but then day two they go to the wrong funnel with their parents. Where's the club? It was here yesterday, crying kids everywhere. Why do they never think these thing through?

Regards John

Sorry, I laughed at first, I take it you're joking.

Freddie you're just the passenger I'd get on great with. Hope to meet many like you when I sail on Britannia this July.

I'm preparing a list of sarcastic knock back comments to any moaners that cross my path!

I hope your cruise just gets better and better.

Can you share them all with us please --- perhaps a new thread Esprit?!

We can all 'go armed and ready !!! :D