What Happens If You Are Denied Boarding...

The closest we have come to that was when my wife changed purses and left her passport in the other purse in her luggage before a 31 day cruise.

One nice person from the cruise line found her bag and retrieved the passport from the ship. (Whew)

In nearly all cases if you are denied boarding you are totally out of luck. You must get back home at your own expense and will usually eat the cost of the cruise. Any why not? Folks keep ignoring the rules, the biggie being documentation. Many of us very experienced cruisers/travelers here on CC always urge cruisers to invest in a Passport. But many, in order to save some money, decide to gamble their entire trip cost on questionable documents which may or may not work.

You can still find many of these threads all over CC where some of us advise folks to get Passports and we are met with all kinds of arguments why they are a waste of money. Forty-five years of extensive international travel and cruising has taught me to not take any trip out of the USA without a valid passport in hand.

As to the issue with minors not with both parents, this has also been discussed here on CC many times. We do have some sympathy for those caught in this situation (most do not get caught) as the law and regulations are just not that commonly understood. I can recall when we would sometimes take DDs g/f on a driving trip (within the USA) to the shore and we always insisted in a notarized document from the parents allowing us to act in parental locus as well as giving us permission to make emergency medical decisions in the event that the parents could not be contacted. Some would call this being overly cautious, but we call it good common sense.

Hank

If someone decides to use an alternate form of documentation then they are not "ignoring the rules", they are acting within them. For many a passport is a great investment and it is the king of travel documentation. For many others using an alternate form of documentation makes sense for any number of reasons and as long as they perform their due diligence and make sure they have what is required their risk is low that anything would happen that would require anything more.

As for the original question, if someone is denied boarding they are not entitled to a refund of their cruise fare from the cruise line, although as mentioned certain expenses are refunded. Whether or not any money is recoverable from insurance depends on why the passenger was denied boarding or missed the ship- some policies will provide coverage if necessary travel documentation is lost or stolen, but will not provide coverage if the correct documentation is not possessed in the first place and some policies will reimburse covered expenses in the event of a common carrier delay or documented traffic accident.

Double check to ensure you have the correct documentation, if back-up documentation is easy to obtain have that available too (for example if you are using a passport have a copy of your birth certificate available if you are on a closed loop cruise), and plan to get to the port as early as possible, the day before departure if you are able.

...due to issues with documentation or arriving too late at the terminal after embarkation has closed? Is the fare refunded or are you just out of luck? This question is inspired by the TLC show "Extreme Cruise Ships" which I have just watched. Several groups were denied boarding because of various problems with their passports/i.d. There was no mention of refunds or future cruise credits.

In the case of late arrival the cruise line should allow you to board at an upcoming port, they may even arrange for and pay for transportation.

In the case of late arrival the cruise line should allow you to board at an upcoming port, they may even arrange for and pay for transportation.
The cruise line may allow it, but other conditions may not.

Need to fly to a foreign port and you have no passport? Not going to happen.

Is the first port a US port on a closed-loop cruise originating in a US port? PVSA is going to come in to play - you'll need to board at a non-US port.

So many ways to lose, so little time.

So often on CC, folks will erroneously suggest that a passport is not required by government agencies for US passengers on certain "closed loop" cruises.

While that piece of the transportation puzzle may be true, no mention is usually made regarding the requirements of the cruise lines themselves. Most premium and luxury cruise lines require a passport for all passengers on all itineraries.

I found this statment in USA today: "In 1996, the U.S. Department of State issued 5.5 million passports. In 2014, that number jumped to 14 million passports." Why is it that so few in the states have a passport?

I found this statment in USA today: "In 1996, the U.S. Department of State issued 5.5 million passports. In 2014, that number jumped to 14 million passports." Why is it that so few in the states have a passport?

The shear size of the USA means that many folks will never leave its boundries. Superimpose a map of the USA over a map of Europe and see how many countries it covers.

Passports are good for 10 years. So the current rate of 1 million in one year could equal 100 million.

So often on CC, folks will erroneously suggest that a passport is not required by government agencies for US passengers on certain "closed loop" cruises.

While that piece of the transportation puzzle may be true, no mention is usually made regarding the requirements of the cruise lines themselves. Most premium and luxury cruise lines require a passport for all passengers on all itineraries.

There is nothing erroneous about saying that a passport is not required by government agencies for US passengers on certain "closed loop" cruises since it is absolutely true, but cruise lines may impose stricter requirements so performing one's due diligence means checking those requirements also.

The airlines receive hefty fines if they bring a person without proper documentation to the USA.

I wou not be surprised if the same rules govern cruise lines.

The rules are slightly different for cruise lines, but the impact is the same--they get slammed with fines, and are responsible for getting the person back out if s/he cannot be admitted legally.

The part that I wonder about is the "damaged" passport. A colleague's passport was refused by an airline because the gate agent said it was damaged. The first page of the passport was a little warped from having had water spilled on it, and then the agent started picking at the photo. We were able to get an expedited new passport from the government overnight, and he flew out the next day. A person would not be able to do that on a cruise. I wonder if cruise agents would be that picky? The expediting office we worked with said that the "damaged" passport was fine--the gate agent was just being a jerk.

If you booked your travel on your own, why should the cruise line pay for your transportation to another port? And as someone mentioned, there may be ports that you won't be able to board (no facilities for doing so or it'll be a violation of the PVSA).

The rules are slightly different for cruise lines' date=' but the impact is the same--they get slammed with fines, and are responsible for getting the person back out if s/he cannot be admitted legally.

The part that I wonder about is the "damaged" passport. A colleague's passport was refused by an airline because the gate agent said it was damaged. The first page of the passport was a little warped from having had water spilled on it, and then the agent started picking at the photo. We were able to get an expedited new passport from the government overnight, and he flew out the next day. A person would not be able to do that on a cruise. I wonder if cruise agents would be that picky? The expediting office we worked with said that the "damaged" passport was fine--the gate agent was just being a jerk.[/quote']

Sounds like he's being a jerk. The passport (unless it's gone through something as drastic as a document shredder) is good until the expiration date (even though cruise lines will want a six month period between sailing date and expiration date). A little water damage doesn't invalidate this document.

My husband and I as well as another couple were going to England and then from there to Israel. I had told the other couple to make sure that they had at least 6 months before their passport expired. He knew better and didn't get a new passport. She had 2 months and his expired by the end of our trip. He got to England fine but when we checked in for our flight to Israel they wouldn't let him board. They said that he would be refused at the border and the airline would have to take him back. Israel required 6 months on your passport. They ended up staying in England and getting a new passport from the Canadian Embassy there. They joined us 3 days later.

tigercat

Referencing the Passport vs. Birth Certificate discussion. I was wondering what information and how much does it cost to get a certified copy of the BC from Vital Statistics or does it vary from State to State? Anyone have that information?

...due to issues with documentation or arriving too late at the terminal after embarkation has closed? Is the fare refunded or are you just out of luck? This question is inspired by the TLC show "Extreme Cruise Ships" which I have just watched. Several groups were denied boarding because of various problems with their passports/i.d. There was no mention of refunds or future cruise credits.

Slightly different situation... A friend of ours (now deceased), once active but many years of caring for her husband and his thrice-weekly dialysis sessions had made her somewhat of a recluse. When he passed, a few months later she booked her dream cruise, BA to Antarctica and back. We were all thrilled at this evidence that she was back with us!

She flew to BA and found she had her dates wrong; she was a day late. She flew back home, wrote it off, went on with her life. But you could tell it really hurt that she had made such a mistake. She rebooked and went on the cruise the next year. The people on her ship were fortunate to have had a chance to get to know her, she was a class act.

Referencing the Passport vs. Birth Certificate discussion. I was wondering what information and how much does it cost to get a certified copy of the BC from Vital Statistics or does it vary from State to State? Anyone have that information?

It varies by state. You can find most info for ordering a new copy of a birth certificate on the state's official website.

As stated, the shear size of the U.S. means that very few will travel outside the border.

From Los Angeles to New York City is a 6 hour flight. You could be in the Med in 6 hours.

That's just the mainland U S. Now add in Hawaii, Alaska, Pourto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.

As stated, the shear size of the U.S. means that very few will travel outside the border.

From Los Angeles to New York City is a 6 hour flight. You could be in the Med in 6 hours.

That's just the mainland U S. Now add in Hawaii, Alaska, Pourto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.

Here is a graphic that shows the size comparison quite well.

9cb3e9548eab8518d80e2974a27170ba.jpg

There is so much to see in the US, with many varied climates and geological features that many residents of the US don't even have enough time to experience all the different types of places in their own country, much less other places in the world. California, for instance, is over 800 miles long. It takes almost two hours to fly from one end to the other.

Edited by SantaFeFan

In 6hrs I would be in the Canary Islands or Egypt :)

To fly between Kalmar (my hometown in south east Sweden) and Rhodes takes about 3 - 3½hrs.

I understand that the U.S is big, but I think that I still would be curious about different countries if I would be living there.

On the other hand I "collect" countries/Islands. :)

... I understand that the U.S is big, but I think that I still would be curious about different countries if I would be living there. ...
There's enough variety in the U.S. to keep someone busy if all they wanted to do was travel the U.S. Some people may be uncomfortable with 'foreign' things. Some people may not be able to afford to go to different countries. Some may just not see any reason to leave the U.S. To each their own.

There's plenty of places in the U.S. we'd like to visit. There's plenty of places in the rest of the world we'd like to visit. We'd like to get up to your neck of the woods (Sweden/Finland/Norway). Lack of time and money precludes us from going everywhere, so we pick-and-choose. We'll get there eventually. So far, our best cruise was probably an east Asia cruise. You cannot experience squatty-potties if you stay in the U.S. :) On the other hand, those kinds of experiences may not be what some people prefer on vacations. It takes all kinds.

Many of us have done a great deal of traveling and have seen many wonders of the world. Travel is not high on everyone's agenda. Prior to forming EU, people in Europe needed passports far more than those of us in U.S. Some countries such as Belgium, Switzerland etc are small by comparison and crossing borders were easy car rides for many. Until recent years, Americans living along north or south borders could cross with little ID into Mexico and Canada in their cars. They didn't need passports to visit two very large foreign countries.

Yes, this was the show. Both of the families you mentioned ended up getting on but there were 2 others with passport issues that did not. The reason I asked the question is that on the show, both the families denied boarding seemed calm and non-combative. I imagine many people in similar circumstances would be freaking out and wondered if there hadn't already been some discussion of refunds or remediation off-screen.

Reality shows have very little to do with reality... It was most likely just a re-enactment, and those families already got so much money from TLC for participation in the show, they couldn't pretend well enough to be upset :)

Many of us have done a great deal of traveling and have seen many wonders of the world. Travel is not high on everyone's agenda. Prior to forming EU, people in Europe needed passports far more than those of us in U.S. Some countries such as Belgium, Switzerland etc are small by comparison and crossing borders were easy car rides for many. Until recent years, Americans living along north or south borders could cross with little ID into Mexico and Canada in their cars. They didn't need passports to visit two very large foreign countries.

I think that Finland and Denmark are the only two countries that I would go to without my passport. I bring the passport to all others, no mather if they are within or without the EU. But I understand your point.

In the 1960s, 70s, 80s, and 90s the US had a large military presence in West Germany and, to a lesser extent in other parts of Western Europe. I had frequent contact with Army personnel in Europe and back in the States. It was very very common for a young man and his spouse to spend 98% of their time while in Europe in the American enclave. They lived on base, shopped on base. If they needed to go to a larger PX, they took a bus trip organized by the base. There were some who went off and explored and did as much as they could time and finances permitting, but they were the minority. My sense was that it was fear of the unknown, exacerbated by a total lack of any exposure to any foreign language.