Why is Celebrity cruises called Celebrity cruises?

Velvetwater

Hi I did a little research and came up with nothing apart from some interesting history titbits.

In my view Celebrity has always seemed like a strange name for a cruise line and I wondered if anyone knew how that name came about?

It reminds me of these cruise complaint article where someone moaned they didn't see a celebrity on a Celebrity cruise...hehe:

https://gma.yahoo.com/no-celebs-celebrity-other-weird-cruise-passenger-complaints-153404253--abc-news-topstories.html

In the late 80s Chandris Cruises was a cheap, low-end cruise line. They were given an opportunity to operate ships out of Bermuda, but Bermuda was only willing to issue a new contract to an upmarket line. Hence Celebrity was born.

As for the name I doubt much thought went into it. They just wanted something that sounded "upmarket" and they had limited time to set up a new subsidiary.

As gek states, the original Chandris cruises split into two divisions in the late 80's, Fantasy Cruises which continued to operate older, budget ships such as the AMERIKANIS into the mid 90's, and Celebrity Cruises.

The Celebrity side was established to operate Chandris' GALILEO which was heavily rebuilt into the upscale MERIDIAN. This converted liner was soon joined by the newbuilds HORIZON and ZENITH, operating seasonally from New York to Bermuda and Caribbean cruising in the winter.

Hi I did a little research and came up with nothing apart from some interesting history titbits.

In my view Celebrity has always seemed like a strange name for a cruise line and I wondered if anyone knew how that name came about?

It reminds me of these cruise complaint article where someone moaned they didn't see a celebrity on a Celebrity cruise...hehe:

https://gma.yahoo.com/no-celebs-celebrity-other-weird-cruise-passenger-complaints-153404253--abc-news-topstories.html

And Carnival is a great name?

In my view Celebrity has always seemed like a strange name for a cruise line ...

I agree! When we wanted to book our first cruise, we only considered Celebrity because they were recommended to us by a [not "our"] TA. It sounded rather cheap and nasty to us.

Why is Celebrity named Celebrity? Because I'm onboard, of course.:p

Actually, your explanation may not be far from the truth. The story I heard many years ago from someone was that each guest was treated like a Celebrity.

Edited by bayonnejoe

And Carnival is a great name?

Yes because the meaning of a 'Carnival' fits the product. Days of drinks dancing etc and special events. I'm not hating on Celebrity at all as I have one booked and I am looking forward to it....just never thought the name made much sense... not sure why you had to mention Carnival.

Interestingly, when I was at a travel agent's years ago I passed over the Royal Carribean brochure as I was not going to the carribean at that time. A few months late I saw a Fjords cruiser with them and realise. :)

The 'everyone is treated like a celebrity' makes sense actually, that seems to fit a bit more.

Edited by Velvetwater

I think Chandris is much nicer :)

I agree, and have fond memories of my first cruise when I was kid aboard the Chandris ship Fiorita. It was a converted ferry of around 5,000 tonnes. How cruise ships have changed since then!

Actually, your explanation may not be far from the truth. The story I heard many years ago from someone was that each guest was treated like a Celebrity.

And still are...

Last year at every port and several times whilst on board crew members would try to get me to pose for a photo when I didn't want to. :D

My first cruise (5 days to Bermuda) was on the Galileo, and then on the Meridian when it was massively refurbished. I was a young teen, so I honestly don't remember much except being in an interior cabin on the first one. I eventually made it on the Horizon, again, vague memories. My parents sailed Galileo, Meridian, and then the Horizon & Zenith to Bermuda for something like 14 years in a row! For my mother, the non-flyer, it was a perfect destination.

As I recall, Celebrity had a TV add showing a couple coming down the staircase and saying "and you are the celebrity"! or something like that. That was back in the Meridian days when we sailed on her to the Mexican Riviera and later in Nov. '93 for 13 nights from San Juan round trip to the Caribbean and visited the Cuna Indians in the San Blas Islands off the coast of Panama. Have picture of us all bundled up in a raft with yellow life jackets and Meridian hats. Also a picture of us seated next to the captain at dinner. What a letch he was with pinches and feelies.............We loved that ship!

Parents name their children. Pet owners name their pets. Ship owners name their ships. Chandris decided, or allowed someone else to decide that the name would be "Celebrity". Only the family might know why that name was selected by the owners, but it was certainly their choice. Works well for me.

And I've never seen a real Princess on a Princess ship, either, just a bunch of people who acted like they were.:rolleyes:

And this tells me where "X" came from how?

Let me give it a go:

Chandris is the original owner of the line. He was Greek. He wanted his family name represented on his ships and selected "X" as his symbol since, as it has already been explained,the "X' in the Greek alphabet (also a Greek word) was a representation of his family name. Part of the merger agreement between Royal Caribbean and Celebrity was the provision that the "X' symbol be continued.

There is no connection between the "X" symbol and the "Celebrity" name.

Hope this helps. If not take a Celebrity cruise and you'll find the history of the "X" symbol in an issue of "Celebrity Today".

Edited by Orator