What happens if you share a drink package? Is there a drink limit?

Drink packages are for one person.

If you don't drink enough for a package, then give your SeaPass card to the bar server and they will charge you for your drink. Simple solution.

I agree with you however, I do think RCCL drink pricing is disingenuous as they have gutted "affordable" drinks and clearly pushed the math towards packages. To me they are saying your all in or nothing, being a casual/ social drinker myself the gouge at the bar speaks volumes when it comes to booking. I am new to RCCL and if it hadn't been for the med itinerary and the great cabin #7414 on the IOS I would consider pulling my booking, that said I cruise for the ports and not the party but the ala carte bar pricing could very well mean one and done for us regarding RCCL.

I guess a better question is if my husband gets a drink package and I don't if he order's me a drink for he and myself at dinner, will there be an issue? I just do not drink enough for the two of us to spend that much money on two drink packages.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, you ask a simple innocent question and are immediately accused of being dishonest. In response to the second part of your question, there is no drink limit.

Stop beating this gal up; it's an honest question. Reality is where the rubber meets the road - my SIL had the soda package for her on Oasis and they brought her kids sodas at dinner on her package. I'd say for a drink or two it's not an issue, but like the others said, if you are observed abusing it, the ship will revoke your package without a refund.

I guess a better question is if my husband gets a drink package and I don't if he order's me a drink for he and myself at dinner, will there be an issue? I just do not drink enough for the two of us to spend that much money on two drink packages.

Easy - he orders you a drink and you get charged for it.

If people wouldn't share drink packages, there would be nothing to build into the price to make up for the theft. Hence, the price would be lower for all the people who abide by the rules.

Royal, like every other for-profit, bases it's price on what the market will bear. If all sharing stopped tomorrow, Royal's profits would increase and the cost of the package would not go down one cent.

Royal, like every other for-profit, bases it's price on what the market will bear. If all sharing stopped tomorrow, Royal's profits would increase and the cost of the package would not go down one cent.

Maybe.

But the other side is if there was no sharing, and margins are met, maybe prices won't go up.

Some times no price increase is as good as we get. For darn sure if Royal isn't making the margin on the package they will increase the price, impose limits, police the users more carefully, or change the rules to be more restrictive.

On Celebrity, which is owned by RCCL, I wanted to treat my father in law to a drink. I told the bartender to use my package on my drink, and charge me for my father in law's drink.

For the OP- my husband and I sailed RCI Independence of the Seas a few weeks ago. Each day they would usually have half off "drink of the day"-type specials at certain bars and times, usually one from 3:30-4:30 and one in the evening around 10-11 pm. If you aren't too picky about what you drink, this is a nice way to grab an affordable cocktail now and then. Some examples we had throughout the week are margaritas, mojitos, mudslides, rum punch, and long island ice tea. We don't drink enough to justify the package but enjoyed taking advantage of these specials. :)

I think the drink package is well worth the money you pay for it..I was not happy at all when I saw some getting drinks for others on their sea pass..how on earth do they feel good about thieving...and some were blatant. If you are a light drinker, the package would be no good so just pay as you go..ps and have an awesome time

Stop beating this gal up; it's an honest question. Reality is where the rubber meets the road - my SIL had the soda package for her on Oasis and they brought her kids sodas at dinner on her package. I'd say for a drink or two it's not an issue, but like the others said, if you are observed abusing it, the ship will revoke your package without a refund.

A drink or two by everyone who has the drink package, on both lines, amounts to thousands of drinks a week. Take the number times 52 and that makes it an issue. If word gets out that that is an acceptable practice everyone will do it. Next people will buy a dinner in the specialty restaurant, bring their friends with then, and they all eat for free, using their purchase. Same thing. If you steal drinks, where do you draw the line?

I agree, it was simply a question. I posed a question about taking in a 15 year old into the solarium as only 3 weeks from turning 16. I had no idea how strict they were, if they checked id's upon entering, etc. I just SIMPLY WANTED TO KNOW as he will be so close to 16. I got accused of teaching my child how to break rules! Sheesh! We looked into the drinks packages as well and decided we will all just buy as we go, figured it was easier that way as neither my husband or are I big drinkers.

Best case scenario would be you both get a drink thus defrauding RCCL and all other honest paying guests making cruising that bit more expensive for us all by your theft. Worst case scenario, your husbands drinks package gets revoked without any reimbursement. Personally, I hope the latter is what happens. So many people here complain about the cruise industry nickel and diming their customers; is it any wonder when there's the kind of dishonesty you're advocating ...

Another part of a worst case scenario is that the drink server/bartender that knowingly served the drinks, not covered by the single person drink package get's fired.

I hope RCI continues its current policy and does not require all adult guests in a single cabin to buy drink packages if one is purchased. I believe the honor system is working.

My DW's drink of choice is iced tea and we could not purchase two drink packages.

When we went on our first cruise around 7 years ago, my gf bought the drinks package (she doesn't drink alcoholic drinks where as I do) and sometimes when I was really thirsty, even though I had bought a beer, I would drink some of the Coke out of her special container and then she would get it filled up again :eek:

Will I have to walk the plank on our next cruise on Explorer? Will I even be allowed on?

After that cruise we decided it wasn't worth it anyway, so have just bought drinks as we go.

It amazes me how the OP asks a simple question and gets accused of trying to beat the system, etc, but it's ok that RCCI recently increased the a la carte drink prices by a huge margin. That's ok for them to increase the drink prices, but not ok for a person to share a drink on the drink package. I am not saying it is acceptable to try to "beat the system" but RCCI should be reasonable in the increase in pricing. To go from $6.50 to $10 for a drink is significant.

Number one. You are asking about a question if it is ok to steal. Why? If you want a drink, you buy a drink. You don't need to steal.

Like all theft, it will be up to RCCL to either press charges, which would be the worst case, or cancel the package as the least likely. Some other options, is cancel the package from day one, and charge you for each drink scanned at their prices.

They have tons of options. What they do might only be speculation, unless someone confesses up, that they were caught.

For the OP- my husband and I sailed RCI Independence of the Seas a few weeks ago. Each day they would usually have half off "drink of the day"-type specials at certain bars and times, usually one from 3:30-4:30 and one in the evening around 10-11 pm. If you aren't too picky about what you drink, this is a nice way to grab an affordable cocktail now and then. Some examples we had throughout the week are margaritas, mojitos, mudslides, rum punch, and long island ice tea. We don't drink enough to justify the package but enjoyed taking advantage of these specials. :)

Agee! Just off the Independence yesterday. Did not purchase a drink package as I had diamond lounge access and three drinks loaded on my Seapass account.

Price of piña colada by the pool in solarium was $14.16 and a frozen mudslide in Viking lounge at night was $11.80 both prices including gratuity.

Thanks everyone for your responses...even the directly stern ones (but not the one calling me a theif....that was really unnecessary). I'll just ala carte my drink. I only ever get one drink on vacation because I'm not a drinker. I'd rather pay for my drink than to have any issues.

It's interesting that you even needed to ask this question in the first place - which is essentially asking if it's OK to steal. It isn't. But you already probably knew that.

Edited by 1SGCruiser

It amazes me how the OP asks a simple question and gets accused of trying to beat the system, etc, but it's ok that RCCI recently increased the a la carte drink prices by a huge margin. That's ok for them to increase the drink prices, but not ok for a person to share a drink on the drink package. I am not saying it is acceptable to try to "beat the system" but RCCI should be reasonable in the increase in pricing. To go from $6.50 to $10 for a drink is significant.

The only reason to ask the question in the first place is to try to, "beat the system". Even if you believe that RCCI is overcharging, it doesn't give permission to share drink packages (i.e., steal) when it's clearly stated that they are for an individual.

Honesty is not based on situational ethics.

It's interesting that you even needed to ask this question in the first place - which is essentially asking if it's OK to steal. It isn't. But you already probably knew that.

The OP asked her original question a little after 5pm yesterday. And an hour later she posted the followup comments you quoted. The question was asked, answered and issue settled long ago. Why on earth would the OP be reading all these soap box diatribes like yours so far after the fact? Of course it's stealing. That was said many times yesterday. You saying it again doesn't add anything to the issue. I.E. By now your 2 cents is not worth anything so save it next time. :rolleyes:

This thread was worth a laugh this morning. Put you off the ship? Press charges? Pretty hilarious.

Revocation of package and no refund? That's definitely in the realm of possibility.

I've never had a drink package on Royal Caribbean, just buy 'em a la carte or get the Diamond drinks, but just my honest thought on it; if someone were to get one or two drinks for a spouse during the cruise and throw the bartender $5, they'd get the drink, no one would be fired, no one would be banned from the cruise line. The bartender would pocket the $5 and every one involved (minus the company) makes out.

It's really theft by the guest, and theft by the employee against the company. No, I don't think it is a capital crime. No, I also do not think it is being honest. Just sharing my opinion what I think would happen in reality.