What happens if you share a drink package? Is there a drink limit?

If this is a real problem, and I am not sure that it is, perhaps RCI should just sell packages with X number of drinks for Y dollars and not care if you share them or give out because it is a finite amount.

I mentioned the MSC voucher system earlier; that may be good starting point (12 vouchers for about $70) then have more tiers with more drinks in them. I doubt RCI would give you 12 for $70, but just a point of reference. Offer packages with 12, 24, 36 vouchers at different average price points per drink, etc.

I bet once there is a finite number that will end all the sneaking and if someone wants to share there won't be a problem either.

If this is a real problem, and I am not sure that it is, perhaps RCI should just sell packages with X number of drinks for Y dollars and not care if you share them or give out because it is a finite amount.

I mentioned the MSC voucher system earlier; that may be good starting point (12 vouchers for about $70) then have more tiers with more drinks in them. I doubt RCI would give you 12 for $70, but just a point of reference. Offer packages with 12, 24, 36 vouchers at different average price points per drink, etc.

I bet once there is a finite number that will end all the sneaking and if someone wants to share there won't be a problem either.

This voucher idea would be one we would take advantage of.

Princess offered a specialty coffee card that had like 12 or 15 coffee drinks on it for like $20 when we sailed downunder with them a few years ago. Was a good deal.

jc

I think the voucher solution would be the ideal solution to this. Have different levels of quantities such as 15, 20, 25 etc. so the person who would like more drinks to drink or share, could benefit from it. Say, for example 15 drinks for $100, 30 drinks for $175, etc.

I think the voucher solution would be the ideal solution to this. Have different levels of quantities such as 15, 20, 25 etc. so the person who would like more drinks to drink or share, could benefit from it. Say, for example 15 drinks for $100, 30 drinks for $175, etc.

I'd love that option, but would be surprised if Royal went to it. The way it is now is very profitable, especially since on most itineraries you are paying for unlimited drinks on days you are mostly off the ship.

Except that their goal is to make money off the people who don't drink enough to cover their daily package cost. The drink package is purely a profit generator. A lot more people drink less than more of the break even point. Several have posted and this was my opinion too from the start that even those that start out drinking enough per day to cover the cost, by halfway through the cruise are drinking less. This plan was well thought out which is why it's per person, per day. Some seem to think that it exists because it's a good deal for the customers, and it's not. Others think that because they've paid a certain amount they're entitled to at least that many drinks a day regardless of who drinks them. That is also wrong.

Princess offered a specialty coffee card that had like 12 or 15 coffee drinks on it for like $20 when we sailed downunder with them a few years ago. Was a good deal.

jc

Royal does a card that's something like buy 6 and get one free. . You just have to ask for it. DH and I drink a specialty coffee from Latte tudes or Starbucks everyday onboard and we always get a card.

Edited by BND

Royal does a card that's something like buy 6 and get one free. . You just have to ask for it. DH and I drink a specialty coffee from Latte tudes or Starbucks everyday onboard and we always get a card.

Don't feel the need on Royal because of the machine in the diamond lounge. Beats the heck out of regular coffee on board.

jc

Heck, on my cruise two weeks ago, my mother (who did NOT have the drink package) ordered a drink. She was about to give the bartender her seapass card to pay for it. THE BARTENDER turned to me, knowing that I had the drink package, and told me to give him my card instead so that she would not have to pay for it. Royal better be glad that I was not one of those customers that would run with that.

If you are going to police something, gosh, don't encourage it yourself. I know that this was just an individual employee, but I am sure he was not the only one.

Heck, on my cruise two weeks ago, my mother (who did NOT have the drink package) ordered a drink. She was about to give the bartender her seapass card to pay for it. THE BARTENDER turned to me, knowing that I had the drink package, and told me to give him my card instead so that she would not have to pay for it. Royal better be glad that I was not one of those customers that would run with that.

If you are going to police something, gosh, don't encourage it yourself. I know that this was just an individual employee, but I am sure he was not the only one.

I'm sure management doesn't encourage it, but some bartenders obviously do it and my guess is for additional tips. Just a thought.

Edited by BND

Looking at the price of drinks on board, I would just "budget" for how many you think you would drink per day (say, two to be generous).

Allowing for $12 per drink, that's $24. 7 day cruise - $168. Round up to $200 to include your tips.

Pay that onto your SeaPass card when you board and you've made yourself a drinks package. Worst case scenario is that you're still in credit when you disembark.

Win Win.

This voucher idea would be one we would take advantage of.

On our first cruise, in 2002, they were selling just such a card. IIRC (which is highly dubious), it was $48 for 12 drinks. Not supposed to be valid on any other cruise, but I think that that was ignored.

It disappeared almost immediately after that.

Then there was a specifically CHAMPAGNE card. It was for glasses of champagne and most (but not all) champagne cocktails. That definitely was $48 for 10 drinks.

Also long gone.

ETA: Scary, but I easily found an old thread about the Champagne Card: http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=426022

Couldn't find a thread from the days of the drink card, but I found a good one that refers to it: http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=332351

Edited by Merion_Mom

On our first cruise, in 2002, they were selling just such a card. IIRC (which is highly dubious), it was $48 for 12 drinks. Not supposed to be valid on any other cruise, but I think that that was ignored.

Then there was a specifically CHAMPAGNE card. It was for glasses of champagne and most (but not all) champagne cocktails. That definitely was $48 for 10 drinks.

Also long gone.

ETA: Scary, but I easily found an old thread about the Champagne Card: http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=426022

Couldn't find a thread from the days of the drink card, but I found a good one that refers to it: http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=332351

I remember a Champagne card in about '04.

[/url]

DS bought that on his honeymoon cruise. (it was gone by their 1st anniversary) He said he had some left on the last day so bought drinks for a couple of guys at the bar to use them up. I doubt he was the only one to do that..............

• 4 weeks later...
Welcome to cruise critic! It's truly a shame when some think a new poster is asking how the beat the system, when it's really a simple question by a new member!

Enjoy your cruise!

Haha, my thoughts exactly.

I do feel a google search could have easily answered this question.I like how the majority of the first ten posts of this thread and many other threads here at CC just reiterate the exact same answer.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk