What happens if you share a drink package? Is there a drink limit?

My husband and I are cruising with two single gals... One wants the liquor pkg and one doesn't drink at all... do both HAVE to have the liquor pkg in their cabin?

No, Royal does not require everyone in a stateroom to purchase a beverage package.

My husband and I are cruising with two single gals... One wants the liquor pkg and one doesn't drink at all... do both HAVE to have the liquor pkg in their cabin?

Who are you going with.

Royal No

Celebrity No

Princess No

But others maybe.

I find it odd that SO many people are getting all up in someone's grill about a question about sharing a drink, yet MANY MANY people will tell you how to sneak booze onto a ship using rum runners. Isn't that the same thing? Breaking the rules for your own benefit? :p

Oh well, moving on :D

Not really. Buying alcohol at a store is legal. Transporting said purchased alcohol, again legal. Consuming said alcohol, again legal. Doing it in a hotel or your home legal. Doing it on a cruise ship... you should be tarred and feathered. I can buy sunblock on the ship for $15 a tube for crap sunblock or I can bring my good sunblock from my dermatologist... am I stealing? The ships make up their own money making schemes, and good for them, they provide me with an amazing vacation, but don't act like it is stealing if I consume something I bought and paid for.... Knowing that a drink package is for a single person and then "sharing" is a willful violation of basic trade.

Let me define trade. I give you something for something... not I give you something and you take 2 somethings....

I really love the way people think that the rules are to be followed no matter arbitrary. I believe in fairness. That said, I understand that it is their ship and their rules, but I don't have to agree with them, and if I choose not to follow them to the letter, I understand that they can exact harsh retribution, and still... I believe what I own is mine and I choose how to use it or when.

jc

Not really. Buying alcohol at a store is legal. Transporting said purchased alcohol, again legal. Consuming said alcohol, again legal. Doing it in a hotel or your home legal. Doing it on a cruise ship... you should be tarred and feathered. I can buy sunblock on the ship for $15 a tube for crap sunblock or I can bring my good sunblock from my dermatologist... am I stealing? The ships make up their own money making schemes, and good for them, they provide me with an amazing vacation, but don't act like it is stealing if I consume something I bought and paid for.... Knowing that a drink package is for a single person and then "sharing" is a willful violation of basic trade.

Let me define trade. I give you something for something... not I give you something and you take 2 somethings....

I really love the way people think that the rules are to be followed no matter arbitrary. I believe in fairness. That said, I understand that it is their ship and their rules, but I don't have to agree with them, and if I choose not to follow them to the letter, I understand that they can exact harsh retribution, and still... I believe what I own is mine and I choose how to use it or when.

jc

I must be slow, can you explain two something comment

jc

When you are at home, do you bring your own alcohol when you go out to eat. If you are serious about your opening rant you should. You are in charge, if you don't want to play by their rules, find someone who's rules you would follow. I don't get what you are saying about trade? Where did trade come into play? I can't find it mentioned in my cruise documents. If you are talking about the drink package, you pay money and they give you all the drinks you want, but you can't share them. By buying the package, you are agreeing to their stipulations. I'm sure at your house you make the rules, on the ship the cruise line does. What's the difference? At my house, there is no smoking inside the building. I have friends who smoke and they go outside to smoke, because they understand my requirements. Not one has ever lit up in my house.

Is it legal though to transport using a rum runner and then take it on to a cruise ship? It will depend on your state laws at the very least, I don't know about customs and international laws. Here in Texas you can't buy any alcohol on the boat within a certain boundary of the coast that isn't made in Texas. Weird law but it's a law.

Let me also say that I work at an elementary school and you would be amazed how many kids are learning from their parents that rules only matter when they agree with them. It's quite concerning.

Not really.

I think you over-analyzed. The poster asked, "Isn't that the same thing? Breaking the rules for your own benefit?"

The correct answer to that, in my opinion, would be yes, both are examples of breaking the rules for your own benefit. They're not exactly the same rules, nor will every person have exactly the same justifications for breaking them, but I don't think that was the implication.

I find it odd that SO many people are getting all up in someone's grill about a question about sharing a drink, yet MANY MANY people will tell you how to sneak booze onto a ship using rum runners. Isn't that the same thing? Breaking the rules for your own benefit? :p

Oh well, moving on :D

This has been an interesting discussion, and your point is well taken, charger2008 - what is the big deal? Well, I have been thinking about that and I can tell you why this is a big deal for me. First of all, the OP in her original post did NOT say she was planning to try to get away with something. But the title for the thread certainly implied that she was thinking about whether or not she might be able to... And most of the discussion since has been about how to get away with stuff (shared drinks, smuggled booze, etc.) And that is a big deal for me because I am not sure I want to be shut up for days or weeks with a bunch of people who think the rules don't apply to them, that they are free to do anything as long as there is a chance to get away with it. In that kind of crowd, you need to be constantly vigilant for theft of your personal belongings. Because, hey, the rules don't apply to them, and they have said that taking from others is ok...

We just got off the Oasis on Saturday. I had the UBP while my husband had the RRP. He doesn't drink enough alcoholic beverages to have made it worth buying the UBP for him so we figured we would just pay for his as we went but every time we ordered two alcoholic drinks and handed the bartender both cards they never charged us for my husbands drink. I guess they just put them both on my card. Also, whenever I ordered a beer at the pool from my favorite server he always brought me two at a time in a bucket of ice. I don't think they are really that strict with the packages on board as long as you have one.

They make SO MUCH profit from both individually ordered drinks and drink packages that they can afford to be generous.

I must be slow, can you explain two something comment

Sure I buy a drink package with dollars for 1 person and then double that to 2 people. I didn't buy a drink package for 2 people. That is not a fair trade.

jc

When you are at home, do you bring your own alcohol when you go out to eat. If you are serious about your opening rant you should. You are in charge, if you don't want to play by their rules, find someone who's rules you would follow. I don't get what you are saying about trade? Where did trade come into play? I can't find it mentioned in my cruise documents. If you are talking about the drink package, you pay money and they give you all the drinks you want, but you can't share them. By buying the package, you are agreeing to their stipulations. I'm sure at your house you make the rules, on the ship the cruise line does. What's the difference? At my house, there is no smoking inside the building. I have friends who smoke and they go outside to smoke, because they understand my requirements. Not one has ever lit up in my house.

To restaurants that allow it, and most do. I will be taking two bottles of very nice wine to dinner Thursday this week. I don't really patronize nice restaurants that won't let you bring wine. I don't take wine to McDonalds though...:rolleyes:

I absolutely agree with their ship their rules. That said, I wish the cruise line luck in prosecuting anyone for stealing if they bring their own drinks on board.

jc

I absolutely agree with their ship their rules. That said, I wish the cruise line luck in prosecuting anyone for stealing if they bring their own drinks on board.

jc

They probably wouldn't have much luck with that. But, since no one has suggested that the cruise line would try to prosecute you, that is pretty much irrelevant.

To restaurants that allow it, and most do. I will be taking two bottles of very nice wine to dinner Thursday this week. I don't really patronize nice restaurants that won't let you bring wine. I don't take wine to McDonalds though...:rolleyes:

jc

Can't do that here, although it's not because of any restaurant policy, it is liquor law.

This thread is just comical. I'm not saying I would go out and do it, but if somebody gets a drink or two during the week for their spouse on their card, it's not the end of the world by any means and you aren't going to Hell or the slammer for it.

The holier-than-thou characters around here seriously need to get a grip... and a hobby!

A little off topic - I have read on CC that you do not have to buy the drink package for the whole cruise, just at least the last four days. Where does it say that on RCL's web site? Also, do they still have the Drink of The Day?

Edited by Cinerama

This thread is just comical. I'm not saying I would go out and do it, but if somebody gets a drink or two during the week for their spouse on their card, it's not the end of the world by any means and you aren't going to Hell or the slammer for it.

The holier-than-thou characters around here seriously need to get a grip... and a hobby!

Which holier-than-thou characters? The ones who think you shouldn't share a beverage packager, or the ones who think they're better than those posters and insult them with various hyperbole about things that were never said, like "the end of the world" or "going to Hell"?

Just clarifying which "holier-than-thous" you're talking about. ;)

What happens to the bartender who offers a free drink because you have tipped them during yoir trip?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I would think 99% of the time nothing because nobody finds out. Just like generous pours.

To restaurants that allow it, and most do. I will be taking two bottles of very nice wine to dinner Thursday this week. I don't really patronize nice restaurants that won't let you bring wine.

jc

It both depends on the restaurants willingness to allow that to happen (some do, some don't) and in many cases, there are state or liquor laws that prohibit it. Even where allowed by both, there is sometimes a corkage fee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 1SGCruiser

Lol sorry i didnt put up the sarcasm sign, for the amount of money charged you would think their would be some fudging allowed. After all they cap you with a daily consumption limit.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Which holier-than-thou characters? The ones who think you shouldn't share a beverage packager, or the ones who think they're better than those posters and insult them with various hyperbole about things that were never said, like "the end of the world" or "going to Hell"?

Just clarifying which "holier-than-thous" you're talking about. ;)

The ones who are throwing people under the bus and chastising them at the mention of sharing a Coke or having two drinks put on their card :rolleyes:.

The sentiment is the same. I'm not going to sit here and nit-pick words with you.

The ones who are throwing people under the bus and chastising them at the mention of sharing a Coke or having two drinks put on their card :rolleyes:.

The sentiment is the same. I'm not going to sit here and nit-pick words with you.

Okay. Just clarifying. So, your holier-than-thou attitude is okay, and it's fine for you to bash other posters, because you don't approve of their point of view that using a beverage package other than intended is wrong.

Thanks for the clarification. :cool:

Edited by Paul65

Makes the share a coke campaign kind of ironic